collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Oh, Bother.  (Read 11156 times)

Benny B

• All American
Oh, Bother.
« on: October 07, 2019, 02:17:11 PM »
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/south-park-banned-chinese-internet-band-in-china-1202179241/

You really have to hand it to Matt & Trey; LOL moments may be few and far between these days, but boy have they really stepped up their satire game to new levels.

I actually had this episode on in the background while I was reading about the whole NBA spat this morning.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Oh, Bother.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 02:35:44 PM »
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/south-park-banned-chinese-internet-band-in-china-1202179241/

You really have to hand it to Matt & Trey; LOL moments may be few and far between these days, but boy have they really stepped up their satire game to new levels.

I actually had this episode on in the background while I was reading about the whole NBA spat this morning.

Yeah, the NBA has really stepped in it on this one, especially when you compare their official statement about the Morey tweet in English versus the one in Simplified Chinese. It'll be interesting to see how far the media goes down the China rat hole on this one versus just surface level stuff about Morey being insensitive to Chinese sovereignty concerns
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 02:45:36 PM »
Yeah, the NBA has really stepped in it on this one, especially when you compare their official statement about the Morey tweet in English versus the one in Simplified Chinese. It'll be interesting to see how far the media goes down the China rat hole on this one versus just surface level stuff about Morey being insensitive to Chinese sovereignty concerns

The situation was interesting and disappointing by the NBA...then I saw the tweet from Joe Tsai (Alibaba co-founder and owner of the Brooklyn Nets) which was full on Chinese government propaganda and was like "oh lord, here we go"

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 02:49:48 PM »
The situation was interesting and disappointing by the NBA...then I saw the tweet from Joe Tsai (Alibaba co-founder and owner of the Brooklyn Nets) which was full on Chinese government propaganda and was like "oh lord, here we go"

Yeah, his statement is going to most likely escalate the media coverage.....I think. Making a statement to the effect of "I don't care what your opinion is this is an internal affair" is not one that enterprising sports media reporters are likely to let sit.....I hope
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 03:09:26 PM »

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/10/07/us-businesses-like-the-nba-are-chinas-willing-tools/

"The NBA backs its players speaking up about American police abuse—but goes into panic mode if its staff back protesting the Hong Kong police. It’s not alone. Contrast Apple’s behavior in the United States with its actions in China. In the United States, Apple has fought for privacy rights, even challenging the FBI itself. In China, it rolls over as soon as the state barks. In part, that’s because tackling state power is possible in the United States. Chinese firms must humiliate themselves before party power, from pledging eternal loyalty to President Xi Jinping to letting party cells into their management structure and writing self-criticism letters. Yet U.S. firms also have much more ability to push back against Chinese censorship—and the option not to be in China at all. Very few of them have ever done so."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 05:14:01 PM »
Maybe James Harden can intervene.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 06:38:35 PM »
Maybe James Harden can intervene.

Yes, he can help the NBA take a few extra steps in the right direction.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 06:50:15 PM »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 09:36:56 PM »

I’m not sure his comments today did that...
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 10:39:39 PM »
I’m not sure his comments today did that...

It was a traveling joke.  He travels.   You know, like during a basketball game,  he picks up his dribble then takes more steps than the rules allow.  Like a lot more.  It was a traveling joke.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 10:48:50 PM »
It was a traveling joke.  He travels.   You know, like during a basketball game,  he picks up his dribble then takes more steps than the rules allow.  Like a lot more.  It was a traveling joke.

I got it then and still get it now...

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 08:11:47 AM »
"We are strongly dissatisfied and we oppose Silver’s claim to support Morey’s right of free expression. We believe that any speech that challenges national sovereignty and social stability is not within the scope of freedom of speech."

That's more of China's cancel culture for ya.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 09:41:29 AM »
According to CNBC this morning, South Park has been banned in China over the aptly-named episode, "Band in China/"  Self-fulfilling prophecy or regular prophecy?

There was a time when I thought The Simpsons was timely in lampooning current events, but South Park has taken it almost to the point of real-time.  It makes me think about the time when Homer asked the director if the cartoon was airing live, and the director's response was that it was too challenging for the animators...

Other than South Park and SNL, are there any other programs on TV today that produces each episode entirely within the six day window before it airs (other than news/media-related shows)?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2019, 09:50:46 AM »
That's more of China's cancel culture for ya.

China: We fully support freedom of speech as long as that speech has nothing to do with freedom or speech.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2019, 09:52:29 AM »
According to CNBC this morning, South Park has been banned in China over the aptly-named episode, "Band in China/"  Self-fulfilling prophecy or regular prophecy?

There was a time when I thought The Simpsons was timely in lampooning current events, but South Park has taken it almost to the point of real-time.  It makes me think about the time when Homer asked the director if the cartoon was airing live, and the director's response was that it was too challenging for the animators...

Other than South Park and SNL, are there any other programs on TV today that produces each episode entirely within the six day window before it airs (other than news/media-related shows)?

Not that I'm aware of....I remember seeing a documentary or something by the South Park team where they talked about their ability to react in near real time to world events and how they had to pick and choose when they did it. For the first time in a while I'm going to record South Park on Wednesday cause I guarantee they will fire back.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2019, 10:22:28 AM »
The Super Woke crew choosing China and $$$ over freedom.   

Interesting times...

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2019, 10:24:57 AM »
The Super Woke crew choosing China and $$$ over freedom.   

Interesting times...

you definitely make this website better and not worse for everyone.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2019, 10:30:23 AM »
you definitely make this website better and not worse for everyone.

He will get this joke then and will still get this joke now.......

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2019, 11:01:55 AM »

although it sort of falls under news/media-related shows, Showtime's THE CIRCUS: Inside the Wildest Political Show on Earth might qualify.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2019, 11:04:37 AM »
China: We fully support freedom of speech as long as that speech has nothing to do with freedom or speech.

Silver put out about as perfect a statement as he could in that situation, and China doesn't even attempt to hide their suppression of free speech and throws a fit that they wouldn't bend the knee.  Unreal, but not surprising.  Also tells me that HK is done for.  China won't back down

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2019, 11:09:35 AM »

Some sports-related programming, i.e. Inside the NFL, Hard Knocks, the NHL's Road to the Winter Classic series.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2019, 11:20:43 AM »
Silver put out about as perfect a statement as he could in that situation, and China doesn't even attempt to hide their suppression of free speech and throws a fit that they wouldn't bend the knee.  Unreal, but not surprising.  Also tells me that HK is done for.  China won't back down

Of course they won't.  Anyone with a functioning brain knew and knows this is hopeless. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2019, 01:16:31 PM »
So does this mean Scoop is blocked in China?
Anyone here ever try to access Scoop while traveling over there?
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2019, 01:23:56 PM »
So does this mean Scoop is blocked in China?
Anyone here ever try to access Scoop while traveling over there?

The Meat Boys

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2019, 01:24:09 PM »

Of course they won't.  Anyone with a functioning brain knew and knows this is hopeless.

And this is why it's important that the NBA and other corporations not buckle.....the only leverage against China is their own economic interest.