[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Joey applied for waiver  (Read 71581 times)

lawdog77

• All American
Re: Joey applied for waiver
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2019, 07:32:15 AM »

He is following the rules.  The rules allow for a waiver application.

I'm no fan of the Hausers, but this idea that he's being a "baby" and that it is somehow a moral failing to apply for a waiver when the NCAA rules allow for it, is simply weird.
Exactly. If Koby would have applied for one last year, I would have been 100% for it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2019, 07:52:00 AM »
Yep. People here seem to never tire of ripping the Hausers. Much of it either nonsensical or made up.

In fact, I'd guess that it's more likely than not that the waiver request was MSU's idea, and not Joey's.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2019, 07:57:48 AM »
I kind of wish MU would start to apply for every transfer too.  The merits behind the granted waivers over the past few years are low -- so why not.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2019, 08:00:53 AM »
I kind of wish MU would start to apply for every transfer too.  The merits behind the granted waivers over the past few years are low -- so why not.

I wonder if they do and we just don’t hear about it?
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2019, 08:02:33 AM »
In fact, I'd guess that it's more likely than not that the waiver request was MSU's idea, and not Joey's.

This is probably true. And even if it's not, who cares. There's nothing wrong with him trying for a waiver.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2019, 08:39:59 AM »
This is probably true. And even if it's not, who cares. There's nothing wrong with him trying for a waiver.

I agree.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2019, 08:56:42 AM »
Since when is setting the record straight when people say dumb or provably false things a crime. Don't want to call out morons who claim Joey H quit on his HS team when he broke his ankle?

It's dopey for some to claim that Joey "quit" on his high school team. The only people saying that are those looking for a reaction from Scoop's pro-Hauser faction.

I also don't blame him (or MSU) for seeking the waiver. The NCAA is all over the map in either granting or denying these waivers, so it's worth a shot.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2019, 09:57:55 AM »
It doesn't matter much to me if he gets it or not, but if he ends up having graduated early so he could rehab his injury and that costs him a year of eligibility, it sucks. I get why that would be the case, but unfortunate for the kid if it is.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2019, 11:12:40 AM »
Izzo is quoted in 1 of the articles posted stating that MSU applies for this waiver for every transfer they get. Just an MSU routine.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2019, 11:22:42 AM »
Exactly. If Koby would have applied for one last year, I would have been 100% for it.

I would have said Koby had no grounds to get a waiver.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2019, 11:27:25 AM »
I would have said Koby had no grounds to get a waiver.

I would have said the same about Mustapha Heron.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2019, 11:30:38 AM »
I would have said the same about Mustapha Heron.
Eh, he at least had family in the region.  How legitimate his mom's "illness" was can be called into question though.  I wouldn't have thought he'd get it, but it makes more sense than Joey or Koby getting one.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2019, 11:43:54 AM »
Eh, he at least had family in the region.  How legitimate his mom's "illness" was can be called into question though.  I wouldn't have thought he'd get it, but it makes more sense than Joey or Koby getting one.

Toronto is exponentially closer to Milwaukee than Utah.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2019, 11:47:00 AM »
Toronto is exponentially closer to Milwaukee than Utah.

I doubt itd be close enough.  Mustapha's mom was living in Connecticut and was recovering from a "concussion".  I didn't think he'd get it because the lack of severity regarding the illness, but the distance made sense for him.  Point is that he had a stronger case than Koby would have, or Joey does have.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2019, 12:00:34 PM »
It's dopey for some to claim that Joey "quit" on his high school team. The only people saying that are those looking for a reaction from Scoop's pro-Hauser faction.

I also don't blame him (or MSU) for seeking the waiver. The NCAA is all over the map in either granting or denying these waivers, so it's worth a shot.

The NCAA has cracked down (again) after the blowback on Justin Fields and Tathan Martell getting their waivers.  They'll need documented runoff (which didn't happen) or some major hardship that prevented him from returning to MU or necessitated him transferring to MSU (family emergency within 100 miles of campus, which isn't the case). Being frustrated that Marcus didn't pass him the ball enough doesn't qualify. It's actually rather irresponsible of MSU to file waivers for every transfer
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2019, 12:15:40 PM »
Most of this thread was definitely unnecessary. Pretty sure most high major sit out transfers apply for waivers just in case the NCAA is feeling generous
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2019, 12:25:07 PM »
I doubt itd be close enough.  Mustapha's mom was living in Connecticut and was recovering from a "concussion".  I didn't think he'd get it because the lack of severity regarding the illness, but the distance made sense for him.  Point is that he had a stronger case than Koby would have, or Joey does have.

In cases like that the NCAA doesn't just take the word of the student-athlete and school, they require actual medical documentation from doctors (statements, medical diagnosis) before they would approve a waiver based on having to move closer to home. They would have to document that it was resulting in long term issues and care was needed.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2019, 12:42:00 PM »
In cases like that the NCAA doesn't just take the word of the student-athlete and school, they require actual medical documentation from doctors (statements, medical diagnosis) before they would approve a waiver based on having to move closer to home. They would have to document that it was resulting in long term issues and care was needed.

I'm sure the NCAA did their due diligence, but just by nature it's a tricky one.  A normal illness you can look at raw data/symptoms.  Head injuries are so tricky and effect everyone differently that it is not the case.  Not trying to say that Mustapha's mom pulled a fast one on the NCAA, just that it would be harder to "prove" (or disprove) the severity of the injury.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2019, 01:41:11 PM »
Just listened to One Shining Podcast.  Turns out it's not just Marquette fans making fun of Joey Hauser for filing for a waiver to become immediately eligible.  Mark Titus brought it up and basically mocked him for even applying for the waiver as he has no grounds to stand on and then Sam Vecenie said, "I don't know why he'd be eligible other than emotional distress by Markus Howard chucking."  So unless Titus and Vecenie are Marquette fans it looks like it's viewed similarly beyond the Marquette fanbase as it is on Scoop.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2019, 01:45:08 PM »
It doesn't matter much to me if he gets it or not, but if he ends up having graduated early so he could rehab his injury and that costs him a year of eligibility, it sucks. I get why that would be the case, but unfortunate for the kid if it is.

Joey knew he was blowing a year of eligibility when he came in the winter of 2018.  He thought he'd be cashing an NBA check by now, or the very least after this coming season.  He wasn't worried about 4 years of eligibility.

I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2019, 01:50:09 PM »
Joey knew he was blowing a year of eligibility when he came in the winter of 2018.  He thought he'd be cashing an NBA check by now, or the very least after this coming season.  He wasn't worried about 4 years of eligibility.

I don't disagree, but sometimes people make mistakes when they are 17-18 years old without realizing what the consequences will be. If he ends up wanting to play 4 years and that "straight to the NBA" plan doesn't work out, I think he should be able to. I could be in the minority on that, and that's fine.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2019, 02:10:33 PM »
Character revealed is a Buzz quote.  Also, you’re the first one to bring up Wojo in this thread.
So what is your point? Joey/Sam will be forever linked to Wojo, who blew the whole fiasco, because of his inability to handle the situation.....and now wait for it....here come the Wojo worshippers...to his defense...in 3..2..1
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2019, 02:15:31 PM »
I don't disagree, but sometimes people make mistakes when they are 17-18 years old without realizing what the consequences will be. If he ends up wanting to play 4 years and that "straight to the NBA" plan doesn't work out, I think he should be able to. I could be in the minority on that, and that's fine.

Meh.  I thought it was a mistake when it happened, and I don't feel any differently now.  He may get a waiver when that time comes, and I think he'd have a decent case to make to the NCAA.  He was never going to play in what ended up being his "freshman" year.  But Joey went into it with his eyes wide open.  To insinuate that he didn't know what the consequences of that would be if/when his game didn't translate to high major basketball as well as he hoped, is well....ridiculous.  I am not directing that comment at you, specifically, Brew. IMO, if he doesn't get the waiver, that is fully on him and his family for making a dumb decision. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2019, 02:29:03 PM »
Could be not just retroactively apply for a medical redshirt and have this entire point be moot?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2019, 02:48:09 PM »
Could be not just retroactively apply for a medical redshirt and have this entire point be moot?

No, because he would still need a second injury season to get a 6th year.

feedback