[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: DePaul Continues to Confound  (Read 16783 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: DePaul Continues to Confound
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2019, 06:02:27 PM »
Gotcha. Maybe I was thinking of the search after Lavin then?

No, that was all about getting Mullin. In hindsight...

The recent search was a cluster because of the warring factions and megadonor Mike Repole's interview on WFAN going after the GC and President.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2019, 10:28:39 PM »
No doubt but they were certainly embarrassed before that. Wasn't Anderson like option 10?

Fleeting embarrassment at most.  If you get turned down by a woman for a date, but two weeks later a much better woman says sure....take the embarrassment lumps short term.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

warriorjoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2019, 08:30:30 AM »
A once-great basketball program just can't attract a solid basketball coach because no one wants the job.

This latest episode just shows how far DePaul has fallen in the college basketball world.

It is important to the Big East to have stronger and competitive basketball programs in both the Chicago and New York markets.

Before that happens, the DePaul administration is going to have to take a long, hard look at the school's athletic program and make some decisions on the way forward. If it does not, the big time donors will have to apply pressure to put changes into place.

Go Warriors!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2019, 09:09:25 AM »
Fleeting embarrassment at most.  If you get turned down by a woman for a date, but two weeks later a much better woman says sure....take the embarrassment lumps short term.

I believe I was actually thinking about DePaul's last search in hindsight.

That being said idk what's with this forum and dating analogies lately but if I'm very publicly in a shouting match with my wingman about with initial woman to approach so that everyone knows how dysfunctional our relationship is to the point the whole bar stops and stares at us I'd say that's embarrassment that sticks with you.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2019, 12:00:55 PM »
Before that happens, the DePaul administration is going to have to take a long, hard look at the school's athletic program and make some decisions on the way forward. If it does not, the big time donors will have to apply pressure to put changes into place.

Go Warriors!

The problem is, they have, and they've let JLP run it as she sees fit.  They have a successful WBB team, a good softball program, good soccer teams.  Who needs MBB?  They have a completely wrong mindset and that wont change unless the AD does.   

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2019, 12:29:52 PM »
A once-great basketball program just can't attract a solid basketball coach because no one wants the job.

This latest episode just shows how far DePaul has fallen in the college basketball world.

It is important to the Big East to have stronger and competitive basketball programs in both the Chicago and New York markets.

Go Warriors!

DePaul has big-time donors?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2019, 12:53:11 PM »

Maybe BEast needs to replace DePaul with RuPaul.

Wouldn't be any bigger drag on the conference.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2019, 01:02:00 PM »

I keep hearing this.  I don't see much evidence to support it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2019, 01:05:29 PM »

I think it'd be a big benefit but not a huge detriment if it doesn't happen. Less about the market and more the fact that they're the two largest schools  by far in the conference
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2019, 01:08:19 PM »

Agreed. DePaul has an awful BE history, and SJU hasn’t been consistently strong since the 20th century. Somehow, though, the conference keeps doing fine with strong teams in places like Philly, Milwaukee, Indy, Omaha and the like.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2019, 01:13:37 PM »
I think it'd be a big benefit but not a huge detriment if it doesn't happen. Less about the market and more the fact that they're the two largest schools  by far in the conference

St. John's and DePaul may be in the two biggest cities in the conference but they aren't the biggest draws in their cities.  Chicago is dominated by the Big Ten and Notre Dame, New York by Syracuse, Notre Dame and alumni from so many other schools, especially the Big Ten.  DePaul or SJU winning isn't going to move the needle that much when it comes to ratings, which is what it's all about in college sports today.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2019, 01:49:28 PM »
St. John's and DePaul may be in the two biggest cities in the conference but they aren't the biggest draws in their cities.  Chicago is dominated by the Big Ten and Notre Dame, New York by Syracuse, Notre Dame and alumni from so many other schools, especially the Big Ten.  DePaul or SJU winning isn't going to move the needle that much when it comes to ratings, which is what it's all about in college sports today.

I actually think NYC is a city that is historically up for grabs.  Syracuse definitely does well today but they are one retirement away from having to scrap like everyone else.  Pitt & UConn are great examples of that. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 03:30:12 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2019, 04:50:22 PM »
Major sports have had mixed results lately in America's biggest cities.

New York fans saw three professional teams -- the Giants, Jets and Knicks -- finish in last place after completing their most recent full seasons. The Rangers were second to last in their division. Only the Yankees, Nets and Islanders made the postseason.

St. John's made the NCAA tournament for the first time in five seasons -- but for only the 3rd time in the past 17 years.

The story in Chicago is similar: Bears and Cubs good, Blackhawks mediocre, White Sox, Bulls and Blue Demons terrible.

The same goes for LA -- with the Rams, Chargers and Dodgers all playing well, the Clippers being better than average, but everyone else (Ducks, Angels, Lakers, Kings, Bruins, Trojans) mostly falling below expectations.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2019, 04:57:28 PM »
Major sports have had mixed results lately in America's biggest cities.

New York fans saw three professional teams -- the Giants, Jets and Knicks -- finish in last place after completing their most recent full seasons. The Rangers were second to last in their division. Only the Yankees, Nets and Islanders made the postseason.

St. John's made the NCAA tournament for the first time in five seasons -- but for only the 3rd time in the past 17 years.

The story in Chicago is similar: Bears and Cubs good, Blackhawks mediocre, White Sox, Bulls and Blue Demons terrible.

The same goes for LA -- with the Rams, Chargers and Dodgers all playing well, the Clippers being better than average, but everyone else (Ducks, Angels, Lakers, Kings, Bruins, Trojans) mostly falling below expectations.

Forget Loyola made the final four a couple years ago? Or by major were you only referring to major conferences?
Maigh Eo for Sam

muguru

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2019, 05:49:13 PM »
Silly reason to give a coach an extension for that reason, especially a coach with Leitao’s record.

I hope you see the absolutely rich irony in this part of your post Rico.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2019, 05:58:18 PM »
I hope you see the absolutely rich irony in this part of your post Rico.

He’s been at DePaul the last 4 years and still doesn’t have a winning record in conference.  To be fair, he inherited a bigger mess than Wojo. 

He is suspended for the first three games to start the season and the program got put on probation on his watch.

Very comparable to many Big East coaches
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2019, 06:23:12 PM »
Forget Loyola made the final four a couple years ago? Or by major were you only referring to major conferences?

It's debatable whether Loyola counts as a major sport in Chicago. Although I believe they outdrew DePaul last season in average home attendance.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2019, 06:54:32 PM »
It's debatable whether Loyola counts as a major sport in Chicago. Although I believe they outdrew DePaul last season in average home attendance.

When they made the FF it seemed the whole city was covered in maroon and gold. Certainly not major as a regular season team
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2019, 07:21:04 PM »

It is also debatable whether DePaul counts as a major sport in Chicago. I’m guessing there are minor league teams in various sports that outdraw them.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2019, 08:03:59 PM »
It is also debatable whether DePaul counts as a major sport in Chicago. I’m guessing there are minor league teams in various sports that outdraw them.

Just because I was super curious here was most the teams I could think of.

Depaul claims that they average 3,806 but I believe they were caught including tickets they gave away to charities and such

Chicago Dogs: 3,623

Kane County Cougars: 5,228

Joliet Slammers: 2,010

Windy City Thunderbolts: 1,671

Chicago Wolves: 7,929

Schaumburg Boomers: 3,604

Chicago Fire: 14,806

Chicago Sky: 6,749

Chicago Steel: 1075
Maigh Eo for Sam

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2019, 10:19:14 PM »
I just read the below in a CBS article about 50 things to know about the upcoming season. Why give him a raise and a longer contract, not like anyone is going to try and hire him away.  DU has improved slightly under Leitao but he doesn't deserve an extension.  Not a word about it on the DU board.

Some of this most confounding news of the off season came to light just a few days ago: DePaul issuing a press release that it was, in fact, in the midst of restructuring Dave Leitao's contract in an effort to provide him a raise and an extension. DePaul is 48-82 the past four seasons under Leitao, not to mention the program was brought up tangentially in the FBI's findings into corruption in recruiting. And he'll be serving a three-game suspension in November because of NCAA sanctions. I mean, what?

DePaul had a respectable team last year and will have a respectable team this year. Leitao has been making some progress recruiting, so it makes sense to give him the patina of a contract extension.   

I also noticed DePaul is playing University of Chicago this year. Will be interesting to see what kind of attendance they get for that game.  If all goes well, maybe Chicago will want to consider rejoining the Big Ten.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2019, 01:18:50 PM »
Just because I was super curious here was most the teams I could think of.

Depaul claims that they average 3,806 but I believe they were caught including tickets they gave away to charities and such

Chicago Dogs: 3,623

Kane County Cougars: 5,228

Joliet Slammers: 2,010

Windy City Thunderbolts: 1,671

Chicago Wolves: 7,929

Schaumburg Boomers: 3,604

Chicago Fire: 14,806

Chicago Sky: 6,749

Chicago Steel: 1075

That isn’t something they are “caught” doing.  Teams report tickets issued, not tickets sold.  Standard operating procedure for decades.  Every stop I have been at in my career either directly working there or as a sponsor, that issued tickets that was the case reported, including MU, IU, Kansas, UCLA, Oklahoma, Stanford,  NHL and MLB, NFL.  I guarantee you those others listed here also are reporting tickets issues in the system, not all of which are sold. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2019, 08:35:57 AM »
DePaul had a respectable team last year and will have a respectable team this year. Leitao has been making some progress recruiting, so it makes sense to give him the patina of a contract extension.   

Brother Herm, DePaul should be more than "DePaul respectable." If the Big East is going to be relevant in Chicago -- and it should be -- DePaul is going to have to be one of the Big Boys in the Conference -- men's basketball wise.

Until Jean Lenti Ponsetto is put out to pasture, that's not going to happen.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2019, 11:28:46 AM »
Brother Herm, DePaul should be more than "DePaul respectable." If the Big East is going to be relevant in Chicago -- and it should be -- DePaul is going to have to be one of the Big Boys in the Conference -- men's basketball wise.

Until Jean Lenti Ponsetto is put out to pasture, that's not going to happen.

I'd be curious if there's enough alumni in Chicagoland from other big east schools that there's not enough pressure on Depaul to up their game from Fox to control the Chicago market.
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2019, 11:32:26 AM »
I'd be curious if there's enough alumni in Chicagoland from other big east schools that there's not enough pressure on Depaul to up their game from Fox to control the Chicago market.

Do TV networks really have the ability to "pressure" individual teams to do better?  What power do they have to do that? 
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback