[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Six Sigma?  (Read 2024 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Six Sigma?
« on: September 12, 2019, 10:01:22 AM »
Curious if doing this is the fastest route to getting on executive track in future vs doing an MBA or if it's worth it at all.

Any thoughts?
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorFan

• All American
Re: Six Sigma?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 10:42:08 AM »
One of my favorite subjects...
Most companies have 3 problem solving methodologies:
a) shoot the messenger
b) pretend there is no problem
c) Pass the buck
when a company truly adopts six sigma, it establishes a constructive problem solving methodology and a language and culture that enables real problem solving.  If you work for a six sigma company (a real one, there are lots of temporary ones) and someone important taps you on the shoulder and says you should do black belt training, then by all means do it.  In any other case it's not particularly beneficial.

As for the MBA, if you're an engineer, find an MBA that specializes in Finance. If you're in accounting or Finance, find an MBA that specializes in marketing.  If you're in marketing, join the engineers studying Finance.  Use the MBA to prove in your next interview that "you're not just an X".  Don't spend huge money for an MBA but don't go outside the top 50 either.  You can find some surprisingly good MBA programs attached to otherwise average universities (Rutgers, for example).  Make sure your MBA school has good placement programs and good corporate connections. 

Many people are better off doing neither and just kissing lots of ___.  (rhymes with bass) If you have this skill, use it.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 10:56:01 AM »
Get your yellow belt first.  See if it is for you or not, before you make a big investment.

My brain doesnt think this way, so yellow will be the end of the lean road for me.  (Buy a new squeegee every month instead of 3, for the floors.)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 11:52:07 AM »
One of my favorite subjects...
Most companies have 3 problem solving methodologies:
a) shoot the messenger
b) pretend there is no problem
c) Pass the buck
when a company truly adopts six sigma, it establishes a constructive problem solving methodology and a language and culture that enables real problem solving.  If you work for a six sigma company (a real one, there are lots of temporary ones) and someone important taps you on the shoulder and says you should do black belt training, then by all means do it.  In any other case it's not particularly beneficial.

As for the MBA, if you're an engineer, find an MBA that specializes in Finance. If you're in accounting or Finance, find an MBA that specializes in marketing.  If you're in marketing, join the engineers studying Finance.  Use the MBA to prove in your next interview that "you're not just an X".  Don't spend huge money for an MBA but don't go outside the top 50 either.  You can find some surprisingly good MBA programs attached to otherwise average universities (Rutgers, for example).  Make sure your MBA school has good placement programs and good corporate connections. 

Many people are better off doing neither and just kissing lots of ___.  (rhymes with bass) If you have this skill, use it.

Like Ziggy said get your yellow belt first.  I have a guy doing his yellow online now through the certifying agency ASQ.  (ASQ is based out of Milwaukee, by the way.)

Six Sigma does establish constructive problem solving methodology.  One problem I see is we have a customer who over utilizes it and doesn't seem to think anymore and can only base choice off the numbers.   

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 10:32:31 PM »
Have done both.

My undergrad is in Journalism from MU. I did that for several years and decided I needed more. I had an employer who paid 75 percent of an MBA for me.

I did Six Sigma while I worked for a railroad. It was an incredible tool, but that's all it is -- a tool in a kit that solves problems. It's a basis for today's data analytics and where detailed data collection is taking us.

I don't know your story or your circumstances, but I'd look out five or 10 years in what you do and, importantly, what you want to do, and ask, "how the heck am I going to get what I want?" If Six Sigma or an MBA -- or a law degree for that matter -- gets you there, then do it. But before you do, look for someone to mentor you. That's far more important than ANY degree or certification.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 07:47:19 AM »
Have done both.

My undergrad is in Journalism from MU. I did that for several years and decided I needed more. I had an employer who paid 75 percent of an MBA for me.

I did Six Sigma while I worked for a railroad. It was an incredible tool, but that's all it is -- a tool in a kit that solves problems. It's a basis for today's data analytics and where detailed data collection is taking us.

I don't know your story or your circumstances, but I'd look out five or 10 years in what you do and, importantly, what you want to do, and ask, "how the heck am I going to get what I want?" If Six Sigma or an MBA -- or a law degree for that matter -- gets you there, then do it. But before you do, look for someone to mentor you. That's far more important than ANY degree or certification.

I'm an analyst so would six sigma repeat a lot of what I learned during my masters or focus on the problem solving?
Maigh Eo for Sam

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 09:25:26 AM »
I know nothing about Six Sigma, other than a below-average co-worker talked upper management into paying for the program for him. The program is useless without data to analyze correct?

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 12:42:37 PM »
Data is required for use of the Six Sigma tools used in the DMAIC process (Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, Contol) to determine if you have a problem. There are then a number of different tools that can be used to solve the problem.

I went through the SS training program at GE years ago and ultimately certified as a Black Belt.  I definitely agree with those who suggest that you start with a yellow belt, although at GE a green belt was where I started.  Yellow/green belt may be all you need.  SS is rooted in statistics so some working knowledge in that field is necessary to fully understand the DMAIC process.

I used SS extensively in an engineering capacity before I retired and I still use it today as the board chair for a non-profit community health service provider.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 03:51:32 PM »
Villanova has more prestige than ASQ and also certifies Six Sigma Yellow/Green/Black belts.

Devil's Advocate to Six Sigma: I'm in tech, anyone that has a PMP or a Six Sigma certification is a rarity and a sign they're from an antiquated company/industry.

A note about MBAs: An MBA is as valuable as the networking you do while you're in the program and the role you land in the 3-6 months after graduation. Unless you get into a top 10 program, then it's well worth it.

Focus on building your network over certifications and degrees. That's how you climb.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 03:54:57 PM »
I know nothing about Six Sigma, other than a below-average co-worker talked upper management into paying for the program for him. The program is useless without data to analyze correct?

Data is the most valuable commodity on earth. A company without data is not a company for long.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 04:23:52 PM »
Data is the most valuable commodity on earth. A company without data is not a company for long.

Right. Which is why I asked. Previously mentioned co-worker basically sucks, I’ve already been transferred to a higher position than him. Recently, heard he was getting a new position in ‘efficiency and problem solving’ across our dozen companies.

No one respects him enough to follow through on data collection, so it’s going to be a awesome failure.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 07:01:08 PM »
Right. Which is why I asked. Previously mentioned co-worker basically sucks, I’ve already been transferred to a higher position than him. Recently, heard he was getting a new position in ‘efficiency and problem solving’ across our dozen companies.

No one respects him enough to follow through on data collection, so it’s going to be a awesome failure.

Dude. Lay off Titan.  I thought he was your buddy.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 07:42:22 PM »
What is it exactly that you want to do?  "Executive" is a pretty broad term. 

Even if you want to eventually be a CEO, there are several paths you can take, and you might not need either an MBA or Six Sigma.

My boss, for example, is a COO with a mid-six-figure comp package, but she only has a bachelor's degree.  A lot of it has to do with your innate talents, as opposed to education. 
Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2019, 08:01:53 PM »

Even if you want to eventually be a CEO, there are several paths you can take, and you might not need either an MBA or Six Sigma.

My boss, for example, is a COO with a mid-six-figure comp package, but she only has a bachelor's degree.  A lot of it has to do with your innate talents, as opposed to education.

How does she feel about you making more coin than her, aina?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2019, 08:14:04 PM »
How does she feel about you making more coin than her, aina?

Ha!  Good one!

Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2019, 09:23:56 AM »

Basically not get stuck as a senior analyst then manager. Rather be considered down the road for positions director, VP etc. and I was under the impression and MBA or Six Sigma were two things that jump out when they look at hires internally who might be able to jump
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback