Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: California to pass bill called "fair pay to play act"...to compensate players  (Read 69488 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: California to pass bill called "fair pay to play act"...to compensate players
« Reply #375 on: September 13, 2019, 03:25:56 PM »

I know right?  God forbid that a citizen state an opinion on a civic issue.

Not everyone deserves an opinion on every issue. They can have them, I have opinions on plenty of things that don't effect me. But I don't deserve to as I'm not a stakeholder in the issue so I don't go out and campaign for or against those issues.

That being said respond away, I'm done arguing this before it becomes too political.
Maigh Eo for Sam

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: California to pass bill called "fair pay to play act"...to compensate players
« Reply #376 on: September 13, 2019, 03:29:06 PM »
We all went to college (I think?) and therefore understand at least half of the trade off happening. Someone who didn't has no idea.

And he played basketball at an elite level and opted to play professionally rather than attend college.  I think that qualifies him to voice an opinion on the matter at least as much as all of us are qualified by virtue of having attended college.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #377 on: September 13, 2019, 03:30:05 PM »
Not everyone deserves an opinion on every issue. They can have them, I have opinions on plenty of things that don't effect me. But I don't deserve to as I'm not a stakeholder in the issue so I don't go out and campaign for or against those issues.

But you can.  It's your right to do so.  That's the point.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #378 on: September 13, 2019, 03:30:33 PM »
It's possible, but I'm not convinced he's that level of talent. None of the reputable sources have a 2023 list yet, and while he's being indicated as a potential 5-star prospect, his jump to the NBA would be a long way off. Further, I think he's going to be evaluated more positively because he's James' son and because everyone has their eyes on him.

I do recall there being some buzz around Jordan's kids...until there wasn't.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #379 on: September 13, 2019, 03:41:12 PM »
I already stated above. I don't think he understands value of college, nor the full extent of athletic scholarship perks that the athletes get. I'm not saying I'm against this bill just that I'm against a celebrity, who is not a college stakeholder, using their platform to influence the outcome and public opinion.

Imagine if we applied this standard to every issue.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #380 on: September 13, 2019, 04:12:15 PM »
I do recall there being some buzz around Jordan's kids...until there wasn't.

Yup. By all reports, Bronny thus far is probably the best of the "basketball star kids" generation that includes some top-100s or fringe players, but as we've seen in the past, genetics alone does not a successful pro career make.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #381 on: September 13, 2019, 04:15:50 PM »
Yup. By all reports, Bronny thus far is probably the best of the "basketball star kids" generation that includes some top-100s or fringe players, but as we've seen in the past, genetics alone does not a successful pro career make.

I don't know...that Curry kid has done alright for himself.   ;)

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #382 on: September 13, 2019, 04:20:48 PM »
I don't know...that Curry kid has done alright for himself.   ;)

Was Dell really a star, though? I see where you're coming from, but I don't think he was in the same stratosphere as Jordan, Wade, O'Neal, or Lebron.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #383 on: September 13, 2019, 04:29:27 PM »
The good news is that future Tim Tebows who believe it outrageous to profit off their own likeness could simply choose not to.
Problem solved.

Tebow -- another hypocrite heard from.

I'm guessing the average "salary" received by Tebow's teammates during his time at Florida was roughly $50,000 per man, and I'm also guessing he knew about most if not all of it but said nothing about the rampant cheating there.

Of course, that didn't "change what's special about college football" in Tebow's eyes because it was -- and is -- typical of college sham-amateur football.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #384 on: September 13, 2019, 04:32:08 PM »
Was Dell really a star, though?

Of course not.  It was a joke.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #385 on: September 13, 2019, 04:33:02 PM »
Of course not.  It was a joke.

Clearly the genes passing from son to father doesn't work any better than father to son ;)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #386 on: September 13, 2019, 07:15:27 PM »
LOL, but we can discuss it on a message board?  He can't discuss a law under consideration in his own state of residence?

Silly.

lol.....about as silly as when women say males cannot pass laws that.....

Oh nevermind
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #387 on: September 13, 2019, 07:18:29 PM »
The good news is that future Tim Tebows who believe it outrageous to profit off their own likeness could simply choose not to.
Problem solved.

But as he points out, it ruins what it is all about.  No longer playing for school. Changing we to me.  Glad he spoke out, cuz you know a bunch of anonymous basketball coaches in a poll said otherwise.

More importantly, another great player that wasn’t paid despite the nonsense in public “they all get paid, they are all cheating”
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #388 on: September 13, 2019, 07:20:24 PM »
Tebow -- another hypocrite heard from.

I'm guessing the average "salary" received by Tebow's teammates during his time at Florida was roughly $50,000 per man, and I'm also guessing he knew about most if not all of it but said nothing about the rampant cheating there.

Of course, that didn't "change what's special about college football" in Tebow's eyes because it was -- and is -- typical of college sham-amateur football.

So the best player in college football was not paid and the others were....do you have some proof to back this up?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #389 on: September 13, 2019, 07:50:11 PM »
So the best player in college football was not paid and the others were....do you have some proof to back this up?

Do you have any proof one way or the other? Of course not, no one does.

• All American
« Reply #390 on: September 13, 2019, 07:57:42 PM »
But as he points out, it ruins what it is all about.  No longer playing for school. Changing we to me.

Put away your cape Captain Hyperbole.

Anyway this pretty much mirrors what I think about Tebow’s comments.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/dan-wolken/2019/09/13/tim-tebows-argument-against-paying-college-athletes-laughable/2314957001/
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #391 on: September 13, 2019, 07:58:32 PM »
Who cares how good his son is.  He has every right to make comments because...well...it's a democracy.

Still very silly.
Democracy and free speech don't have any direct correlation, but we get your point. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #392 on: September 13, 2019, 08:01:16 PM »
lol.....about as silly as when women say males cannot pass laws that.....

Oh nevermind

So you agree with people who  say that?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #393 on: September 13, 2019, 08:31:04 PM »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/dan-wolken/2019/09/13/tim-tebows-argument-against-paying-college-athletes-laughable/2314957001/
I'm not a fan of Tebow. He was and is still given a bigger platform than he deserves.

That said, that op-ed was pretty shabby and full of hyperbole itself.

"College athletics has already been corrupted by money and greed on every level"......Can that author please give examples of this at the DII and DIII levels? How about non-revenue producing DI sports?

"Tebow — sees college football as a citadel of chastity in a materialistic world."... Again I'm no Tebow fan but I can't put those words in his mouth. Until he says something like that, the author is taking way too much artistic license.

• All American
« Reply #394 on: September 13, 2019, 08:37:19 PM »
I'm not a fan of Tebow. He was and is still given a bigger platform than he deserves.

That said, that op-ed was pretty shabby and full of hyperbole itself.

"College athletics has already been corrupted by money and greed on every level"......Can that author please give examples of this at the DII and DIII levels? How about non-revenue producing DI sports?

"Tebow — sees college football as a citadel of chastity in a materialistic world."... Again I'm no Tebow fan but I can't put those words in his mouth. Until he says something like that, the author is taking way too much artistic license.

I don’t see Tebow saying that either. “Materialistic” has way too many syllables.

Lame humor aside, I think by “all levels” he means coaches, ADs, etc.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #395 on: September 13, 2019, 08:44:56 PM »
I don’t see Tebow saying that either. “Materialistic” has way too many syllables.

Lame humor aside, I think by “all levels” he means coaches, ADs, etc.
LOL. Agreed about Tebow. Funny stuff.

As for the "all levels" assertion, I hope you are right otherwise this guy is the king of the hyperbole captains. I suppose I shouldn't set the bar too high when reading a USA Today op-ed.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #396 on: September 13, 2019, 09:40:03 PM »

First of all, I made it clear I was speculating.

Second, I think you're right: Tebow was getting paid, too. Thanks for helping me realize it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #397 on: September 13, 2019, 09:57:21 PM »
Do you have any proof one way or the other? Of course not, no one does.

I’m not the one saying Tebow is a hypocrite and leveling the charge.  As a former journalist I would expect MU82 to have some evidence before making such a claim. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #398 on: September 13, 2019, 09:58:38 PM »
First of all, I made it clear I was speculating.

Second, I think you're right: Tebow was getting paid, too. Thanks for helping me realize it.

You called him a hypocrite, you weren’t speculating at all.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #399 on: September 13, 2019, 10:04:22 PM »

Tebow played college athletics at the highest levels.

Dan Wolken....writer and epic joke.  That very article...says greed has taken over at every level of college sports.  Yup, that college field hockey is just swimming in greed...same with bowling....soccer....D2...D3.  Of covering Memphis as he did probably biased him to no end.

feedback