[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: California to pass bill called "fair pay to play act"...to compensate players  (Read 68621 times)

muguru

• All American
To take effect in 2023...The ensuing lawsuits should be a treat to watch. Mid major college basketball teams all over the country should be rejoicing, this just freed up a bunch of spots in the NCAA tournament, because the NCAA WILL make the California schools ineligible

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/california-bill-nearing-passage-could-be-domino-that-brings-down-ncaas-amateurism-philosophy/
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Uncle Rico

• All American
To take effect in 2023...The ensuing lawsuits should be a treat to watch. Mid major college basketball teams all over the country should be rejoicing, this just freed up a bunch of spots in the NCAA tournament, because the NCAA WILL make the California schools ineligible

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/california-bill-nearing-passage-could-be-domino-that-brings-down-ncaas-amateurism-philosophy/

The NCAA will lose and it is glorious
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
The NCAA won't make 6.8% of their schools ineligible and doesn't have the authority to supersede state law. Likeness rights will be universal by 2023.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
The NCAA won't make 6.8% of their schools ineligible and doesn't have the authority to supersede state law. Likeness rights will be universal by 2023.

6.8%? That's nuts had no idea.

Is this going to be available for every division? I mean a football player at Whitewater could probably make a good few bucks at a local car dealership.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Yeah the day the NCAA decides to make all California schools ineligible is the day the NCAA signs its death warrant.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Nukem2

• All American
Great for a few kids and great for the P5 schools.  Need to have some limits here and those would not square with such a law?  A real turning point for college BB and FB......

Uncle Rico

• All American
6.8%? That's nuts had no idea.

Is this going to be available for every division? I mean a football player at Whitewater could probably make a good few bucks at a local car dealership.

Absolutely.  I recommend reading the article for when the doomsday crowd appears and says there will be no benefit to anyone outside the major sports
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Galway Eagle

• All American
Great for a few kids and great for the P5 schools.  Need to have some limits here and those would not square with such a law?  A real turning point for college BB and FB......

Unsure if it's just BB and FB. A hockey player at UND could make a decent bit of money. When Axel Sjoiderberg(?) was at MU for soccer I'm sure he'd have earned more than someone like Jamail Jones did.
Maigh Eo for Sam

muguru

• All American

The NCAA has rules..Yes, laws supersede rules, but the bottom line is, there is NO law saying you HAVE to be able to play in the postseason if you pass this bill..if you're a member of the NCAA, which all schools are at the d1 level, then you have to follow their rules. It's really that simple. They can't prevent California(or any state) that wants to pass a law like this, but as long as they stay a member of the NCAA they CAN make them ineligible. the only way they couldn't, is if the schools made their own league and broke away from the NCAA.

In a letter to the chairs of two State Assembly committees last week, NCAA President Mark Emmert implied that if the bill becomes law as it is written, California schools could face the prospect of being prohibited from participating in NCAA championships. That includes 23 NCAA Division I schools, four of which are in the Pac-12 Conference.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Uncle Rico

• All American
The NCAA has rules..Yes, laws supersede rules, but the bottom line is, there is NO law saying you HAVE to be able to play in the postseason if you pass this bill..if you're a member of the NCAA, which all schools are at the d1 level, then you have to follow their rules. It's really that simple. They can't prevent California(or any state) that wants to pass a law like this, but as long as they stay a member of the NCAA they CAN make them ineligible. the only way they couldn't, is if the schools made their own league and broke away from the NCAA.

In a letter to the chairs of two State Assembly committees last week, NCAA President Mark Emmert implied that if the bill becomes law as it is written, California schools could face the prospect of being prohibited from participating in NCAA championships. That includes 23 NCAA Division I schools, four of which are in the Pac-12 Conference.

Oh, no!  The NCAA!

Nukem2

• All American
Re: California to pass bill called "fair pay to play act"...to compensate players
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 04:31:12 PM »
Unsure if it's just BB and FB. A hockey player at UND could make a decent bit of money. When Axel Sjoiderberg(?) was at MU for soccer I'm sure he'd have earned more than someone like Jamail Jones did.
It might help a few kids in minor sports that are really big in certain areas.  But probably no where near the extent that BB and FB would be impacted.

muguru

• All American
Re: California to pass bill called "fair pay to play act"...to compensate players
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 04:31:41 PM »
Oh, no!  The NCAA!

Mock them all you want, but I'm just presenting the facts...the California schools CAN be deemed ineligible by the NCAA, for the post season by them passing this bill. They don't like it, form their own league. Problem solved, right??

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 04:34:04 PM »
Mock them all you want, but I'm just presenting the facts...the California schools CAN be deemed ineligible by the NCAA, for the post season by them passing this bill. They don't like it, form their own league. Problem solved, right??

California will not be the last state to pass a law similar to this.  There is a groundswell or support that crosses all political lines. 

I’m all for the end of the NCAA, so if this leads to that, hallelujah

muguru

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 04:39:49 PM »
California will not be the last state to pass a law similar to this.  There is a groundswell or support that crosses all political lines. 

I’m all for the end of the NCAA, so if this leads to that, hallelujah

Say goodbye to the greatest sporting event on the planet then too, the NCAA tournament...at least as we know it.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 04:45:09 PM »

They can, but they won't. The ncaa will threaten, but in the end they aren't going to.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2019, 04:47:39 PM »
Say goodbye to the greatest sporting event on the planet then too, the NCAA tournament...at least as we know it.

Yup, things will change.  Heck, I’m old enough to remember when Marquette turned down the NCAA Tournament to play in the NIT.

College football has managed to thrive in its post-season without the help of the NCAA

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 04:55:30 PM »
Yup, things will change.  Heck, I’m old enough to remember when Marquette turned down the NCAA Tournament to play in the NIT.

College football has managed to thrive in its post-season without the help of the NCAA
Well, how do you perceive this change.  Positive or negative for non-P5 schools (i.e., most P5 schools are state schools with large alumini bases that contain many alums with access to substantial $$$$).

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2019, 05:01:46 PM »

This is like when the Olympics went pro. It was a realization of what already is happening. The Olympics got bigger.

As the FBI case has revealed, which is by far more damaging, is that there are big bucks in play here above and below the table. Lawmakers see the hypocrisy when the NCAA tries to hide or white wash it it all. They also see new revenue streams.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 05:41:46 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2019, 05:04:54 PM »
Well, how do you perceive this change.  Positive or negative for non-P5 schools (i.e., most P5 schools are state schools with large alumini bases that contain many alums with access to substantial $$$$).

All the same advantages P5 public schools have now will remain.  That won’t change.

Marquette and other Big East schools are largely located in urban settings and their athletes will have access to more local business opportunities.  Markus Howard, hell, Sam Hauser would have had ample opportunities to earn on their likeness.

If Marquette or other non-football schools haven’t studied the likelihood of this happening, shame on them. 

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2019, 05:11:06 PM »
All the same advantages P5 public schools have now will remain.  That won’t change.

Marquette and other Big East schools are largely located in urban settings and their athletes will have access to more local business opportunities.  Markus Howard, hell, Sam Hauser would have had ample opportunities to earn on their likeness.

If Marquette or other non-football schools haven’t studied the likelihood of this happening, shame on them.
Im sure they have. But, what would you suggest they do without affecting the B&GF and minor sports?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2019, 05:16:29 PM »
Im sure they have. But, what would you suggest they do without affecting the B&GF and minor sports?

Players, male or female, at any level can be compensated for their likeness.  None of this comes from the University.  If there is someone willing to pay for your autograph or endorsement, it’s free game for all levels.

And it’s not just that.  Athletes at all levels can’t earn on things as simple as a YouTube channel because it’s considered an impermissible benefit.  Matt Norlander lays it out in the linked article.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2019, 05:28:01 PM »

This is the first domino to fall toward the end of the amateur big time college sports. Sad day if it holds up, but no use crying over spilled milk.

Due to IRS rules, I guaranty within 10 years we will be rooting for the USbank Golden Eagles of Marquette versus the Menards Badgers of Wisconsin. Not one student will be on either team.

This will be a god send to the schools of 50%+ of Div I football programs. They will be able to shed the money pits that are the majority of DI football. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2019, 05:34:25 PM »
This is the first domino to fall toward the end of the amateur big time college sports. Sad day if it holds up, but no use crying over spilled milk.

Due to IRS rules, I guaranty within 10 years we will be rooting for the USbank Golden Eagles of Marquette versus the Menards Badgers of Wisconsin. Not one student will be on either team.

This will be a god send to the schools of 50%+ of Div I football programs. They will be able to shed the money pits that are the majority of DI football.

Why is amateurism important to anyone?  If amateurism is so important, eliminate sports scholarships and follow the Ivy League model. 

Amateurism benefits everyone but the amateur

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2019, 05:39:12 PM »
Why would the end to make-believe amateurism be "sad"?

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2019, 05:40:39 PM »

The NCAA would get destroyed in court if they tried this. Destroyed.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback