[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: California to pass bill called "fair pay to play act"...to compensate players  (Read 69415 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: California to pass bill called "fair pay to play act"...to compensate players
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2019, 05:47:35 PM »
Why is amateurism important to anyone?  If amateurism is so important, eliminate sports scholarships and follow the Ivy League model. 

Amateurism benefits everyone but the amateur
Speaking for myself, I guess I enjoy cheering for my school's team and the antiquated notion that the players are my fellow alums.
I accept that this is changing and is possibly for the best, but that doesn't mean there are not some losses for college sports and the fans.
Amateurism will survive at the DII and DIII levels, and I think that is good for everyone.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: California to pass bill called "fair pay to play act"...to compensate players
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2019, 05:51:11 PM »
Speaking for myself, I guess I enjoy cheering for my school's team and the antiquated notion that the players are my fellow alums.
I accept that this is changing and is possibly for the best, but that doesn't mean there are not some losses for college sports and the fans.
Amateurism will survive at the DII and DIII levels, and I think that is good for everyone.

Would they still not be alums if they got paid and played at Marquette? 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2019, 05:53:03 PM »
One of the biggest appeals to me for college sports(hoops in general) is the fact they DON'T get paid, and they play for school pride. Not sure why so many are giddy about the idea of college athletes getting paid anyway. Is there not enough greed in America now, the way it is?? Look, I'm not a huge fan of the NCAA and the way the major schools get let off the hook with so much stuff the way it is, but to me, this will just tip the scales even more in their favor. Schools like Marquette will get left behind, and I don't like that one damn bit.

I mean, what's going to happen with this...your star PG tells you he has to leave practice a bit early because he has to do a "spot" for the local car dealership?? They are going to put the $$ they can make over the love and pride they are supposed to have for their school, and it's just going to become ugly in my opinion.

As has been said many times, they get free room and board and a free scholarship...other students don't get that. It's similar to "benefits" we get from our employers.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 05:55:27 PM by muguru »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2019, 05:54:54 PM »
One of the biggest appeals to me for college sports(hoops in general) is the fact they DON'T get paid, and they play for school pride. Not sure why so many are giddy about the idea of college athletes getting paid anyway. Is there not enough greed in America now, the way it is?? Look, I'm not a huge fan of the NCAA and the way the major schools get let off the hook with so much stuff the way it is, but to me, this will just tip the scales even more in their favor. Schools like Marquette will get left behind, and I don't like that one damn bit.

I mean, what's going to happen with this...your star PG tells you he has to leave practice a bit early because he has to to a "spot" for the local car dealership?? They are going to put the $$ they can make over the love and pride they are supposed to have for their school, and it's just going to become ugly in my opinion.

For loving something so much, you sure do a lot of complaining

muguru

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2019, 05:56:51 PM »
For loving something so much, you sure do a lot of complaining

Whatever...if this is the way it's going to be, then let's make it just like pro sports with a salary cap, free agency, trades, etc. is that what you'd like to see in COLLEGE sports??

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2019, 05:56:56 PM »
The NCAA would get destroyed in court if they tried this. Destroyed.
Meaning if the California schools sued the NCAA?

How do the courts view members of a voluntary institution suing that institution for enforcing the rules that all the other members agree to?

Are the California schools prohibited by law from leaving the NCAA?

What's to stop Texas from passing a law that college football is played in the spring? Will the NCAA get destroyed on that also?

I am asking seriously. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2019, 05:58:17 PM »
Meaning if the California schools sued the NCAA?

How do the courts view members of a voluntary institution suing that institution for enforcing the rules that all the other members agree to?

Are the California schools prohibited by law from leaving the NCAA?

What's to stop Texas from passing a law that college football is played in the spring? Will the NCAA get destroyed on that also?

I am asking seriously. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

It’s actually laid out in the article.  Norlander lays it out. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2019, 05:59:01 PM »
Whatever...if this is the way it's going to be, then let's make it just like pro sports with a salary cap, free agency, trades, etc. is that what you'd like to see in COLLEGE sports??

No, I’d like to see athletes be compensated for their likeness

muguru

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2019, 06:00:55 PM »
No, I’d like to see athletes be compensated for their likeness

Why?? what difference does it make to you?? How are you affected in any way, shape or form by it one way or another?? Now I will agree with you, at the very least they should be able to get jobs in the off season and that shouldn't be a problem.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2019, 06:05:49 PM »
Would they still not be alums if they got paid and played at Marquette?
I don't think you'd get that pass the IRS. If you can pay player and generate revenues as a non-for-profit organization then every franchise in pro sports will be a non-for-profit tomorrow.

I can't imagine any school giving up their non-for-profit status just for sports.

Like it or not, DI BB and FB are going pro. They can't get "partially pregnant" on this.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2019, 06:06:31 PM »
I mean this is absolutely no surprise at all that a state like California and one particular political party is leading the charge on this. Nor is it surprising that other west coast states, Washington and Colorado may follow suit next.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2019, 06:07:35 PM »
Why?? what difference does it make to you?? How are you affected in any way, shape or form by it one way or another?? Now I will agree with you, at the very least they should be able to get jobs in the off season and that shouldn't be a problem.

Because they’ve earned it.  How does the sham of amateurism affect you?  Just because you like it this way, kids shouldn’t be able to earn money?  Cool

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2019, 06:08:27 PM »

For me, it's a matter of simple fairness. Why is it OK for Nick Saban to sell his likeness to Aflac and Coach K to Chevy, but Tua and Zion are prohibited from doing the same? Why can Clemson profit off Trevor Lawrence jerseys, but Trevor Lawrence cannot?

What difference does it make to you? How are you affected in any way, shape or form?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2019, 06:08:47 PM »
I mean this is absolutely no surprise at all that a state like California and one particular political party is leading the charge on this. Nor is it surprising that other west coast states, Washington and Colorado may follow suit next.

It passed with no dissent from the “other” party.  If you read the article, a North Carolina legislator with a “R” next to his name is proposing something similar. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2019, 06:30:39 PM »
California will not be the last state to pass a law similar to this.  There is a groundswell or support that crosses all political lines. 

I’m all for the end of the NCAA, so if this leads to that, hallelujah

Groundswell?  The most recent poll was 2019 by Seton Hall University that showed 49% support.  Different definition of groundswell, apparently.

Big East conference....does not support because of “unintended consequences” which you can bet your arse is going to lead to more cheating then ever.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2019, 06:31:19 PM »
It’s actually laid out in the article.  Norlander lays it out.
Actually, none of my questions were answered in the op-ed piece. Not your fault, you didn't write it.

I'm still curious to get my questions answered.

(Funny how the author states as fact the the schools will not benefit from the players being paid. Instant credibility   red flag. I'd love to find anyone that believes that)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2019, 06:31:49 PM »
Groundswell?  The most recent poll was 2019 by Seton Hall University that showed 49% support.  Different definition of groundswell, apparently.

Big East conference....does not support because of “unintended consequences” which you can bet your arse is going to lead to more cheating then ever.

Well, golly, thank goodness the NCAA is around to stop the cheating

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2019, 06:38:15 PM »
Well, golly, thank goodness the NCAA is around to stop the cheating

Good thing doctors are around to stop cancer.  Good thing the SEC is around to stop financial malfeasance.  Good thing police are sound to stop crimes.  Etc etc.  Wait, you mean they aren’t 100% effective, well then they should all be disbanded.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2019, 06:41:23 PM »
For me, it's a matter of simple fairness. Why is it OK for Nick Saban to sell his likeness to Aflac and Coach K to Chevy, but Tua and Zion are prohibited from doing the same? Why can Clemson profit off Trevor Lawrence jerseys, but Trevor Lawrence cannot?

What difference does it make to you? How are you affected in any way, shape or form?

Really?  Why not take that to all its logical conclusions of things some people can do and others have to wait.  Why is it fair that a 36 year old can run for POTUS but a 34 year old cannot?  Why is it fair that a 65 year old pilot has to retire from flying and not a 64 year old?  Why is it fair that Nick Saban can be fired from his job, but the History dept prof with tenure cannot?

Etc etc etc

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2019, 06:41:28 PM »
Good thing doctors are around to stop cancer.  Good thing the SEC is around to stop financial malfeasance.  Good thing police are sound to stop crimes.  Etc etc.  Wait, you mean they aren’t 100% effective, well then they should all be disbanded.

All entities vastly superior at doing things than the NCAA

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2019, 06:47:09 PM »
Too lazy to read the article. What happens if California passes a law that PEDs are legal? Can they be taken and still play in the NCAA.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2019, 06:53:22 PM »
Too lazy to read the article. What happens if California passes a law that PEDs are legal? Can they be taken and still play in the NCAA.

The law simply states college athletes can earn off their likeness.  Similar laws are being proposed in Washington, Colorado and North Carolina.  The NCAA can fight those laws in court and would lose. 

There is no mention of a hypothetical like that.  This particular matter falls in a different legal category than what you are hypothesizing

muguru

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2019, 07:10:42 PM »

Of course it is...it typifies the world we live in now, where everyone wants everything to be fair...Is it fair that some people in this world are billionaires and others aren't?? Should we just make everyone a billionaire because it's "the fair thing to do"?? This is the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality that permeates society now days. It's sickening to me. Life isn't fair, weren't we told this growing up?? But of course now days, if it's not fair people just sue to try to make it fair. What a world.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2019, 07:16:42 PM »
Of course it is...it typifies the world we live in now, where everyone wants everything to be fair...Is it fair that some people in this world are billionaires and others aren't?? Should we just make everyone a billionaire because it's "the fair thing to do"?? This is the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality that permeates society now days. It's sickening to me. Life isn't fair, weren't we told this growing up?? But of course now days, if it's not fair people just sue to try to make it fair. What a world.

What does any of that have to do with student athletes being able to earn off their likeness?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2019, 07:24:33 PM »
What does any of that have to do with student athletes being able to earn off their likeness?

If student athletes want to get paid, then I agree that they should be allowed to get jobs during their off season and that shouldn't be a problem.

Look, I'm not a big fan of the NCAA either, but this WILL hurt Marquette greatly, and benefit the schools like Duke, North Carolina etc, who are already on top of the food chain. Pakuni said he just wants things to be "fair". Okay so...they do this and the QB is going to make thousand upon thousands of dollars on his likeness, but the 3rd string offensive tackle??Who's going to want to "promote" him and give him earning opportunities as well??  How is that fair??