[Today at 02:33:33 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MUbiz
[Today at 02:30:22 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

How many times does Markus go for 40+ this season?

0 - He's all that is on anyone's scouting report with Hausers gone
3 (1.4%)
1 or 2 - Same as above but he'll go "God mode" once or twice
67 (30.9%)
3 to 5 - Enough were it's not a fluke
114 (52.5%)
6+ - He's unstoppable. And the Wooden winner. And a lottery pick.
29 (13.4%)
30, but we go 0-30 because he's a cancer
4 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 217

Author Topic: Markus Hanging 40  (Read 15309 times)

1SE

• All American
Markus Hanging 40
« on: September 03, 2019, 07:24:15 AM »
Extra credit if you pick the games.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Markus Hanging 40
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 07:49:29 AM »
Last year he did it 3 times and was within a bucket twice. I think he'll be better this year. I went 6, though I don't think it means he'll be a lottery pick.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 08:03:02 AM »
Last year he did it 3 times and was within a bucket twice. I think he'll be better this year. I went 6, though I don't think it means he'll be a lottery pick.

Can't find better info, but it looks like if he went 6 that would be most in the NCAA in the past 25 years or so.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/the-commonality-of-the-40-point-scorer-in-college-basketball/

"Adam Morrison's five 40-point games during 2005-06 is a record over the past 15 years for most 40-point games in one season"

Of course he'd still be no Pete Maravich

Pete Maravich, the incredible 6-foot-5 guard from Louisiana State University during the late ’60s, averaged an incredible 44.2 points per game and led the NCAA in scoring for three seasons. He also has the college record for the most 50-point games (10) and 40-point games (56).
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 08:57:23 AM »

Pete Maravich, the incredible 6-foot-5 guard from Louisiana State University during the late ’60s, averaged an incredible 44.2 points per game and led the NCAA in scoring for three seasons. He also has the college record for the most 50-point games (10) and 40-point games (56).

And he played for some of the crappiest teams in the SEC  in his three years at LSU. It helps to have Daddy run the offense around you.

What did Pistol Pete teach me: I'd rather be good as a team than have one player shoot the lights out!

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 10:36:21 AM »
And he played for some of the crappiest teams in the SEC  in his three years at LSU. It helps to have Daddy run the offense around you.

What did Pistol Pete teach me: I'd rather be good as a team than have one player shoot the lights out!

My favorite McGuire quote: (radio interview) After Press Maravich said "watching a team like Marquette play defense is like watching grass grow" McGuire grabbed the mic and said "if you think it's like watching grass grow, your ass is grassed and I'm your lawn mower."

McGuire gloated after the game about how Marquette shut Pistol Pete down.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 01:22:46 AM »
My favorite McGuire quote: (radio interview) After Press Maravich said "watching a team like Marquette play defense is like watching grass grow" McGuire grabbed the mic and said "if you think it's like watching grass grow, your ass is grassed and I'm your lawn mower."

McGuire gloated after the game about how Marquette shut Pistol Pete down.

That was great, but nothing tops his “son” retort to Adolph Rupp about not dying intestate.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 07:51:04 AM »
He's going for 50+ against madison with a win too

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 08:01:03 AM »
on a side note, Maravich averaged 38 shots per game over his collegiate career.

wonder how many letters from other players his father the coach got.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 09:26:29 AM »

Without 3pt line. Impressive
The "average fan" is an idiot.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 09:45:12 AM »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 09:49:18 AM »

I have a friend that used to play against Crowe.  Calls him up once a year and takes him to a game in Eau Claire.  Pretty sad story all around.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 11:06:49 AM »
I've read the book.  It's an interesting, quick read, but don't expect a masterpiece. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 01:26:41 PM »
Without 3pt line. Impressive

Not really.

LSU's offense in those days was the ball was inbounded to Maravich, pass to allow Maravich to dribble again. Maravich from 40. BOTTOM.

Or "clank"

End of discussion.

Crappy teams. Press Maravich, aka Daddy, had a losing record from 1966 to 1972 at LSU. That tells me all I need to know about Daddy and Sonny Boy.

Press was fired in 1972 and replaced with Dale Brown.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 01:49:33 PM by dgies9156 »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 01:30:53 PM »
6+. Won’t be a lottery pick tho.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 01:53:14 PM »

"...the two had hoped to go to Wisconsin-Milwaukee in a package deal but wound up at Silver Lake College in Manitowoc, Wis., a school with no gym and only eight varsity players."

Sad, the ways in which players get used by their fathers or other relatives.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 01:59:38 PM »
His brother taught Theology at MU. Interesting guy who loved hoops.

swimmer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 02:37:06 PM »
1-2.  The team is going to be more defensive minded this year.  There will be less scoring in general.  I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see the offense being a thing of beauty unless someone else makes a giant leap forward to help spread the floor and/or create shots.  It will be interesting to see if the team demands more scoring from Markus vs. more of a complete PG game.  I know what the scouts want to see.  I'm sure he'll still go off against a couple of overwhelmed opponents, but I'm predicting fewer ridiculous scoring nights.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 07:12:10 PM »

His senior year LSU was 22-10 (22-8 until we beat them in the NIT semis and then lost the 3rd place game), 13-5 conference record (SEC).

So similar to us last year.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2019, 07:35:43 PM »
His senior year LSU was 22-10 (22-8 until we beat them in the NIT semis and then lost the 3rd place game), 13-5 conference record (SEC).

Well, those are like just facts, man
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2019, 10:21:31 PM »

So they crashed and burned and had major dissension in the locker room?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2019, 11:07:07 PM »

Bullcrap

I saw most of those LSU teams as a kid. In no way were they like us last year.

For one thing, say what you want about Wojo, our coach has a winning record.

We have shown steady improvement in Coach Wojo's four years here. Perhaps the ascent is not steep enough, but we have improved.

Notwithstanding the little revolution after the season, I honestly believe we played more like a team, even with the Brothers Hauser, than LSU ever did.

Wojo>Press. Only a basketball neophyte would think otherwise.

MU 2018 > LSU 1970 -- Without a doubt.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2019, 08:33:50 AM »
Bullcrap

I saw most of those LSU teams as a kid. In no way were they like us last year.

For one thing, say what you want about Wojo, our coach has a winning record.

We have shown steady improvement in Coach Wojo's four years here. Perhaps the ascent is not steep enough, but we have improved.

Notwithstanding the little revolution after the season, I honestly believe we played more like a team, even with the Brothers Hauser, than LSU ever did.

Wojo>Press. Only a basketball neophyte would think otherwise.

MU 2018 > LSU 1970 -- Without a doubt.

Brother dgies,

The facts (overall record, conference record, offensive dominance/usage by one player) indicate that the two teams were similar in terms of accomplishment and style. What you "saw as a kid" (or more accurately what you remember/think you saw as a kid) stands in contradiction with those facts. Sorry but your recollections from almost 50 years ago doesn't change those facts.

Wojo's record at MU, what MU's current trajectory is and "Wojo is a better coach than Press Maravich" are beside the point. I was only comparing two teams - 1970 LSU and 2019 Marquette. Nothing more. 

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2019, 09:01:51 AM »
Brother dgies,

The facts (overall record, conference record, offensive dominance/usage by one player) indicate that the two teams were similar in terms of accomplishment and style. What you "saw as a kid" (or more accurately what you remember/think you saw as a kid) stands in contradiction with those facts. Sorry but your recollections from almost 50 years ago doesn't change those facts.

Wojo's record at MU, what MU's current trajectory is and "Wojo is a better coach than Press Maravich" are beside the point. I was only comparing two teams - 1970 LSU and 2019 Marquette. Nothing more.

Yea, but hell Lenny, did The Pistol ever ride in a Beaver?

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2019, 01:08:40 AM »
Can't find better info, but it looks like if he went 6 that would be most in the NCAA in the past 25 years or so.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/the-commonality-of-the-40-point-scorer-in-college-basketball/

"Adam Morrison's five 40-point games during 2005-06 is a record over the past 15 years for most 40-point games in one season"

I was at the final game at Auburn's old arena several years ago and they were of course doing old memories during breaks. One of the updates was that pistol Pete had the record for the most points ever in a game there - a record he set in the very first game ever played there. Imagine that, you open a gym with a big scoring night and noone in history ever tops your mark
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.