collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: College Football is back  (Read 129101 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: College Football is back
« Reply #875 on: December 31, 2019, 01:02:10 PM »
Exactly.  Which is why he has incentive to not give the full story.

And public records can indicate how he traveled and who he traveled with, too.  These are gov't employees, your kind of people Fluff...you should be embracing everything they said.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #876 on: December 31, 2019, 01:36:37 PM »
They obviously don’t care since they keep hiring his former assistants

USC has a long history of not caring when it comes to NCAA stuff, and more than likely that hasn't helped them when they do get in trouble.  Last I checked they have been placed on major probation 7 times, only 5 schools had more in NCAA history.  They do what they do.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #877 on: December 31, 2019, 02:07:22 PM »
USC has a long history of not caring when it comes to NCAA stuff, and more than likely that hasn't helped them when they do get in trouble.  Last I checked they have been placed on major probation 7 times, only 5 schools had more in NCAA history.  They do what they do.

It hasn't exactly hurt them either.
Placed on probation in 2010 ... Finished ranked in the top 10 the next year (but couldn't go to a bowl)
Placed on probation in 2001 ... Finished ranked in the Top 5 every year between 2002 and 2008, including two national titles.
Placed on probation in 1986 ... Won the Pac 10 from 1987-89; finished ranked top 10 in '88 and '89.
Placed on probation in 1982 ... Suffered a losing season and were back in the Rose Bowl and top 10 in 1984.

Cheating pays.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #878 on: December 31, 2019, 02:37:13 PM »
It hasn't exactly hurt them either.
Placed on probation in 2010 ... Finished ranked in the top 10 the next year (but couldn't go to a bowl)
Placed on probation in 2001 ... Finished ranked in the Top 5 every year between 2002 and 2008, including two national titles.
Placed on probation in 1986 ... Won the Pac 10 from 1987-89; finished ranked top 10 in '88 and '89.
Placed on probation in 1982 ... Suffered a losing season and were back in the Rose Bowl and top 10 in 1984.

Cheating pays.

It can pay, short term and even long term if you believe every conspiracy theorist that Duke or others do nothing but cheat....of course USC has been in the wilderness since the last cheating cycle based on their heights when they were cheating and where they are now (please don't start with being ranked 21st and winning 8 games is the same as being ranked top 3 nearly every year while cheating - no comparison and fraudulent argument). 

I'm also not sure SMU would agree with you on if cheating pays.  Isn't a universal outcome as we all can find examples of schools that recovered...eventually...and schools that still haven't gotten back to the zenith days of when they did cheat.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #879 on: December 31, 2019, 02:58:12 PM »
I'm also not sure SMU would agree with you on if cheating pays.  Isn't a universal outcome as we all can find examples of schools that recovered...eventually...and schools that still haven't gotten back to the zenith days of when they did cheat.

The fact that SMU is the only program you can name that suffered long-term consequences as a result of NCAA punishment - and that occurred more than three decades ago - is all anyone needs to know to understand the NCA does not - nor does it want to - stop cheating and other illegal and unethical behavior within its sports programs.

Heck, the leaders of Baylor's basketball program tried to cover up the circumstances of a murder ... and five years later were back in the top 25.
The leaders of Baylor's football program covered up rapes ... and four years later are a top 10 program.
Louisville bought strippers and hookers for recruits. Four years after that was revealed, they're the #1 team in the country.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 03:15:16 PM by Pakuni »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #880 on: December 31, 2019, 03:00:10 PM »
I’m not really sure that the death penalty is entirely to blame for SMU football’s problems either.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #881 on: December 31, 2019, 04:12:24 PM »
It can pay, short term and even long term if you believe every conspiracy theorist that Duke or others do nothing but cheat....of course USC has been in the wilderness since the last cheating cycle based on their heights when they were cheating and where they are now (please don't start with being ranked 21st and winning 8 games is the same as being ranked top 3 nearly every year while cheating - no comparison and fraudulent argument). 

You take this week off too?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #882 on: December 31, 2019, 04:55:27 PM »
I’m not really sure that the death penalty is entirely to blame for SMU football’s problems either.
When the SWC broke up in 1995, that did not help.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #883 on: December 31, 2019, 05:05:03 PM »
When the SWC broke up in 1995, that did not help.

The death penalty was the biggest cause.  Without it, it’s possible the Big 12 takes them over Baylor or Texas Tech.  What’s more appealing?  Dallas or Lubbock or Waco as a market.  They were still toxic in 1996.  They almost certainly would have had more money to throw around at the outset of the Big XII to be strongly considered
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #884 on: December 31, 2019, 09:28:56 PM »
They took Tech because it was a public university and UT and A&M had to drag them along. They took Baylor because it was Ann Richards Alma Mater and she was governor at the time.

SMU and TCU were in the same boat and ended up in the same conference - WAC.  TCU made good coaching decisions and managed their way back to P5 football. SMU did not.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #885 on: January 01, 2020, 12:02:39 PM »
Wednesday, January, 1st
Citrus Bowl  : Alabama vs. Michigan   12:00 pm   ABC

Outback Bowl:   Auburn vs. Minnesota   12:00 pm   ESPN

Rose Bowl  : Oregon vs. Wisconsin   4:00 pm   ESPN

Sugar Bowl  : Baylor vs. Georgia   7:45 pm   ESPN

Thursday, January, 2nd
Birmingham Bowl  : Boston College vs. Cincinnati   2:00 pm   ESPN

Gator Bowl  : Indiana vs. Tennessee   6:00 pm   ESPN
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #886 on: January 01, 2020, 12:52:34 PM »

Entirely...no....the overwhelming majority...yes.   Some great documentaries on the subject.  The financial impact, their inability to attract the right coaches and players, conference situation, the school needing to cleanse itself and decisions of prioritization, etc.

SMU decided properly they were a university first, not a football team first after this.  Something many other schools and fans should remember

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #887 on: January 01, 2020, 01:10:53 PM »
Entirely...no....the overwhelming majority...yes.   Some great documentaries on the subject.  The financial impact, their inability to attract the right coaches and players, conference situation, the school needing to cleanse itself and decisions of prioritization, etc.

SMU decided properly they were a university first, not a football team first after this.  Something many other schools and fans should remember

So they sucked for a long time, then cheated and got really good. Then they got caught and decided not to cheat anymore and have sucked (again) ever since. And the moral of the story is...?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #888 on: January 01, 2020, 01:23:54 PM »
So they sucked for a long time, then cheated and got really good. Then they got caught and decided not to cheat anymore and have sucked (again) ever since. And the moral of the story is...?

They had period of being very good, periods of not being good...I hope you are not suggesting they sucked for a long time and suddenly during that one era were good....that is not true.

That said, they cheated in over drive, got caught and paid dearly.  USC hasn’t been the same level, but I’m sure they will get back there some day.  Will they do it without cheating?  Can give you many other examples of schools that went into swoons for a decade or longer recovering from cheating.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #889 on: January 01, 2020, 07:41:34 PM »
I love exhibition football in Pasadena.

Happy for Herbert, stayed senior year and led his home town team to a Rose Bowl victory.

Everyone fly safely back to Wisconsin, thank you for spending money here.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #890 on: January 01, 2020, 08:24:39 PM »
Very entertaining Rose Bowl as is always the case. Turnovers were a killer for Bucky.
-Bill Walton

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #891 on: January 01, 2020, 08:41:48 PM »
The Badgers have made 4 Rose Bowls in the past 10 years. They have lost all 4 by a combined total of 16 points.

They went 3-0 in a seven year span from 1994-2000 by a combined 20 points.

They went 0-3 during 1953-1963 stretch.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #892 on: January 01, 2020, 10:24:37 PM »
Ugh. Never bet Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #893 on: January 01, 2020, 11:05:46 PM »
my mistake
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 11:08:21 PM by Mutaman »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #894 on: January 02, 2020, 12:18:02 AM »
my mistake

Supposed to be on the Badgers board and logs in on Marquette board....yes, that is definitely a mistake. LOL

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #895 on: January 02, 2020, 12:53:34 AM »

Supposed to be on the Badgers board and logs in on Marquette board....yes, that is definitely a mistake. LOL

And when you made the same false speculation (you lied) on the Al board, and i challenged you to find these Badger boards, your response was "No thanks".

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #896 on: January 02, 2020, 08:41:26 AM »
And when you made the same false speculation (you lied) on the Al board, and i challenged you to find these Badger boards, your response was "No thanks".

I said no thanks for the entire bundle of nonsense that was offered including the bet.  Are you denying being a Badger fan now?  Yes or no?  Are you saying I lied about you being a Badger fan?  Oh really....LOl

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #897 on: January 09, 2020, 12:43:02 PM »
Mike Leach will leave Washington State for Mississippi State HC job.
-Bill Walton

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #898 on: January 09, 2020, 12:46:04 PM »

Which means the Egg Bowl, which is one of the most underrated rivalries in all of college football, will be between Leach and Lane Kiffin.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #899 on: January 09, 2020, 12:46:47 PM »

I like Mike Leach, but think this is a bad move for him and Mississippi State.
Not sure if his coaching style or personality with play in the Deep South and the SEC West isn't getting any easier.