[Today at 09:45:23 PM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[Today at 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[Today at 08:47:22 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by Goose
[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: College Football is back  (Read 129158 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: College Football is back
« Reply #425 on: November 14, 2019, 12:06:09 PM »
I think Buzz worked really hard to build his brand. Maybe less overtly than Cream, but he has a pretty carefully crafted image.

It will be interesting to watch MN the next few weeks. They have the chance to build quite a resume.

Oh 1000%.  But he didn't start until he was at Marquette.  Fleck started immediately.  As I mentioned, I went to Miami and followed MAC football pretty closely (until the last few years where I got fed up with a failing athletic department, but thats besides the point) and I remember the Row the Boat, cult of Fleck being a media focus as early as his second year, and it was like "wtf, why is this dude a focus when they aren't even that good" then it got to a fever pitch.

But agreed.  Saturday should be interesting.  Save for Rutgers, their average margin in their 2 road wins was 5 pts.  At home, prior to PSU, it was 20+.  Iowa plays teams close and they will be hungry after last week.  I think this is an even tougher test than the PSU game was.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #426 on: November 14, 2019, 12:10:35 PM »
Some of the bigger games this Saturday.....

Indiana at Penn State 11:00 am ABC
Michigan State at Michigan 11:00 am FOX 
Navy at Notre Dame 1:30 pm NBC
Georgia at Auburn 2:30 pm CBS
Texas at Iowa State 2:30 pm FS1
Minnesota at Iowa 3:00 pm FOX
Oklahoma at Baylor 6:30 pm ABC
UCLA at Utah 7:00 pm FOX 
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MU82

• All American
« Reply #427 on: November 14, 2019, 12:34:30 PM »
Some of the bigger games this Saturday.....

Indiana at Penn State 11:00 am ABC
Michigan State at Michigan 11:00 am FOX 
Navy at Notre Dame 1:30 pm NBC
Georgia at Auburn 2:30 pm CBS
Texas at Iowa State 2:30 pm FS1
Minnesota at Iowa 3:00 pm FOX
Oklahoma at Baylor 6:30 pm ABC
UCLA at Utah 7:00 pm FOX

I hope my favorite team wins (which this week means Navy).

I also am rooting for Georgia to win out now so Alabama gets shut out of the playoff.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #429 on: November 14, 2019, 02:17:55 PM »
Oh 1000%.  But he didn't start until he was at Marquette.  Fleck started immediately.  As I mentioned, I went to Miami and followed MAC football pretty closely (until the last few years where I got fed up with a failing athletic department, but thats besides the point) and I remember the Row the Boat, cult of Fleck being a media focus as early as his second year, and it was like "wtf, why is this dude a focus when they aren't even that good" then it got to a fever pitch.

But agreed.  Saturday should be interesting.  Save for Rutgers, their average margin in their 2 road wins was 5 pts.  At home, prior to PSU, it was 20+.  Iowa plays teams close and they will be hungry after last week.  I think this is an even tougher test than the PSU game was.

I still say Iowa beats them, sticking to it from last week.  My college picks this year are en fuego.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #430 on: November 14, 2019, 04:14:57 PM »
I still say Iowa beats them, sticking to it from last week.  My college picks this year are en fuego.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #431 on: November 14, 2019, 06:04:42 PM »
Iowa’s offense is hot trash
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #432 on: November 14, 2019, 07:43:04 PM »

Apparently a bunch of folks that love to opine when I miss them.  Lol
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #433 on: November 15, 2019, 10:06:20 AM »
Iowa is a 3 point favorite over Minnesota.
-Bill Walton

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #434 on: November 15, 2019, 11:12:33 AM »

Well, he had to take it up another notch to overshadow the story about leaving his wife for his secretary.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #435 on: November 16, 2019, 04:12:37 PM »
Iowa’s offense is definitely not trash today
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #436 on: November 16, 2019, 04:14:02 PM »
Tua Tagovailoa is out for the season.
-Bill Walton

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #437 on: November 16, 2019, 04:15:03 PM »
Tua suffers potentially career threatening dislocated hip injury. Similar to Bo Jackson’s. Brutal.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #438 on: November 16, 2019, 04:39:27 PM »
Tua suffers potentially career threatening dislocated hip injury. Similar to Bo Jackson’s. Brutal.

Key to recovering from this injury is immediate action and hopefully the doctors were able to do so.  Jackson’s career ended from complications from the injury

MU82

• All American
« Reply #439 on: November 16, 2019, 06:15:15 PM »

Good thing he wasn't allowed to go pro after last season.

But at least he's been able to profit from his own likeness ... oh wait ... I mean good thing Nick Saban is making $10 million this season off of Tua's likeness and the likenesses of the rest of the Bama athletes who, unlike Saban, risk serious injury on every play.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #440 on: November 16, 2019, 07:11:46 PM »
Good thing he wasn't allowed to go pro after last season.

But at least he's been able to profit from his own likeness ... oh wait ... I mean good thing Nick Saban is making $10 million this season off of Tua's likeness and the likenesses of the rest of the Bama athletes who, unlike Saban, risk serious injury on every play.

Nick Saban profited from his likeness when he was 21 years old as a player?  Nope.  Your continued ridiculous apples to oranges comparisons remain absurd.  Nick Saban is an adult, approaching 70 years old.  He has paid his dues for years making squat as an assistant coach, and yes now makes a ton.  He made $8000 his first year as a coach.

You think it is a good idea for say a 18 year old to go right into the NFL?  The courts have decided this already, but you always know best. 

Iowa over Minnesota pick.....like taking candy from a baby.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #441 on: November 16, 2019, 07:25:31 PM »
Nick Saban profited from his likeness when he was 21 years old as a player?  Nope.  Your continued ridiculous apples to oranges comparisons remain absurd.  Nick Saban is an adult, approaching 70 years old.  He has paid his dues for years making squat as an assistant coach, and yes now makes a ton.  He made $8000 his first year as a coach.

You think it is a good idea for say a 18 year old to go right into the NFL?  The courts have decided this already, but you always know best.

You don't think Nick Saban is profiting off of all of his players' likenesses -- and off of everything else related to his players? Wow, are you naive.

Did I say it was a good idea for an 18-year-old to go right to the NFL? Stop making things up.

Trevor Lawrence will have to return to Clemson next season even though he would be a top-5 draft pick and a multi-millionaire. I sincerely hope he doesn't suffer the kind of injury Tua just did. But thank goodness Dabo Sweeney will make $10 million off of Lawrence next year either way.

The NFL loves having the NCAA as its minor league, and the NCAA loves keeping these kids as indentured servants for as long as possible.

Oh, and I'm thrilled to hear you think the U.S. courts are 100% right about everything. For some reason I didn't expect that from you about, say, Roe v Wade. Good to know!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #442 on: November 16, 2019, 07:37:09 PM »
You don't think Nick Saban is profiting off of all of his players' likenesses -- and off of everything else related to his players? Wow, are you naive.

Did I say it was a good idea for an 18-year-old to go right to the NFL? Stop making things up.

Trevor Lawrence will have to return to Clemson next season even though he would be a top-5 draft pick and a multi-millionaire. I sincerely hope he doesn't suffer the kind of injury Tua just did. But thank goodness Dabo Sweeney will make $10 million off of Lawrence next year either way.

The NFL loves having the NCAA as its minor league, and the NCAA loves keeping these kids as indentured servants for as long as possible.

Oh, and I'm thrilled to hear you think the U.S. courts are 100% right about everything. For some reason I didn't expect that from you about, say, Roe v Wade. Good to know!

Politics.  No, they are not always right, but that doesn’t change the law unless it gets overturned later.

Yes, the NFL does love it as does the NBA.  If you let Lawrence come out, why not an 18 year old...a cutoff exists today....you want to shorten it, and then the next guy will want to shorten it some more....give an inch take a mile.

Should college professors get paid more based on what their students become?  Should grad students who work for a prof who makes a discovery get a share of the spoils?  What if discovery turns out negative and ends up causing cancer years later....should grad student be subject to liabilities?  We can go on.

I’m quite aware why Saban is compensated why he is.  I have done many advertising deals with head coaches over the years.  They are paid to coach their teams, win, keep their players in line, bring good image and brand to the school or firm they represent. That is their platform.  Pretty simple.

I once did a deal for a dog trainer, famous dude who had his pure bread dogs in the Westminster Dog Show...should the dog have been compensated?  How about the Little Leaguers in Williamsport? 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 07:39:25 PM by Cheeks »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #443 on: November 16, 2019, 07:39:18 PM »
Politics.  No, they are not always right, but that doesn’t change the law unless it gets overturned later.

Yes, the NFL does love it as does the NBA.  If you let Lawrence come out, why not an 18 year old...a cutoff exists today....you want to shorten it, and then the next guy will want to shorten it some more....give an inch take a mile.

Should college professors get paid more based on what their students become?  Should grad students who work for a prof who makes a discovery get a share of the spoils?  What if discovery turns out negative and ends up causing cancer years later....should grad student be subject to liabilities?  We can go on.

I’m quite aware why Saban is compensated why he is.  I have done many advertising deals with head coaches over the years.  They are paid to coach their teams, win, keep their players in line, bring good image and brand to the school or firm they represent. That is their platform.  Pretty simple.

Mr. Slippery Slope, always looking out for the Overdog.

Tell us more about what your best friend Mike Trout and all your close friends who are top D1 coaches think.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #444 on: November 16, 2019, 07:50:58 PM »

I once did a deal for a dog trainer, famous dude who had his pure bread dogs in the Westminster Dog Show...should the dog have been compensated?  How about the Little Leaguers in Williamsport?

If someone wants to pay them, absolutely.  Just like Tua should have been able to profit of his likeness

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #445 on: November 16, 2019, 08:00:19 PM »
If someone wants to pay them, absolutely.  Just like Tua should have been able to profit of his likeness

They can get paid now....for doing a job not related to playing college sports.  Been that way for a long time.

I don’t understand why you enterprising guys don’t start a minor league football or basketball league since the slavery dynamics of the NCAA are so horrible, people should be throwing money at you guys to do this.  Throwing it at you.  Plus you can run on the mantra that you are freeing people, get the morality money, etc....make a ton of money yourselves.  What is holding you smart guys back?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #446 on: November 16, 2019, 08:04:15 PM »

They can get paid now....for doing a job not related to playing college sports.  Been that way for a long time.

I don’t understand why you enterprising guys don’t start a minor league football or basketball league since the slavery dynamics of the NCAA are so horrible, people should be throwing money at you guys to do this.  Throwing it at you.  Plus you can run on the mantra that you are freeing people, get the morality money, etc....make a ton of money yourselves.  What is holding you smart guys back?

Or athletes, like Olympic athletes can earn off their likeness.  It’s pretty simple and going to happen.  It’ll be a great day for college athletes

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #447 on: November 16, 2019, 08:17:06 PM »
Who’s starting our new college football thread?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #448 on: November 16, 2019, 08:21:15 PM »

Iowa over Minnesota pick.....like taking candy from a baby.

Oklahoma looking like a top 7 team no doubt. Lose to KState. Gifted a win over Iowa State. Looks like a boat race for Baylor.. Candy from a kid baby.

Wisconsin can hardly beat IU so they can’t be a top 7 team. But PSU sure is. Because they totally handled IU. Oh wait.

Georgia overhyped. Kids and candy baby!

Clemson overhyped. Candy, kids, babies!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 08:31:08 PM by GarciasWorld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #449 on: November 16, 2019, 08:28:40 PM »
And yet there still will be people complaining when a likely high draft pick pulls a McCaffrey and skips the Weed-Eater Bowl or one of the 35 other meaningless winter exhibitions.