collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: College Football is back  (Read 129171 times)

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
Re: College Football is back
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2019, 12:45:15 PM »
College football is rich in tradition. Some of the better ones:

- The Go Blue banner
- Play like a champion today
- The Ohio band dotting the i
- Texas A&M's 12th Man
- War Eagle
- Tennessee: Checker Board End Zones and Rocky Top
- Ten Thousand Men of Harvard
- The Game: Michigan-Ohio State
- The Winged Helmet
- Touchdown Jesus
- Game watching from boats on Lake Washington
- Woo pig sooie
- Rammer Jammer, Yellow Hammer
- Rolling Toomer's Corner
- White Out
- Kidnapping Navy Goats and Army Mules
- Little Brown Jug
- The Beer Song
- Blue Turf
- Sparty's Spinning S
- Penn fans throwing toast
- Notre Dame's post game Alma Mater
- Hail to the Victors
- On Wisconsin
- Fight On
- Victory March
- Boomer Sooner
- Bow Down
- The Haka
- Rock Chalk Jayhawk
- Army-Navy
- Harvard-Yale
- Bama-Auburn
- Apple Cup
- Cal-Stanford
- The Civil War
- Red River Shootout
- Miami Smoke
- The Grove
- Lighting The Tower
- Cowbell
- Hook 'em Horns
- Midnight Yell
- Pink Locker Room
- Irish Guard
- Planting the Spear
- Gator Chomp
- Ralphie
- Tunnel Walk
- Stanford Band
- Tightwad Hill

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2019, 02:20:54 PM »
The score was far more indicative of not Army's play but Michigan's continuing struggles with ball security.  You can't give up the ball that many times and expect to win. Michigan's offense needs to figure things out and they will - ball control, short yardage situations, and stupid penalties is fixable. And Michigan's offense has far too many weapons to remain stagnant. 

I thought ESPN had a very good summary of Michigan's offense thru two games:

The early returns: On one hand, things are at least OK. The Wolverines scored 40 points on Middle Tennessee, and though they nearly lost to Army on Saturday, Oklahoma nearly lost to Army last season, and it still made the CFP. The Wolverines outgained Army by 97 yards and went to overtime only because of fumbles and fourth-quarter, fourth-and-short failures, neither of which are necessarily sustainable.

On the other hand, those fourth-and-shorts were awfully telling. Everyone in the stadium knew what Michigan was going to do (hand off to the running back between the tackles), and Army sent the house and made two stops. Michigan seems stuck between identities at the moment.

Also, the fumbles might be sustainable, given that the Wolverines have eight of them so far.

I'm inclined to agree with your conclusions, Keefe, but what's a bit unnerving as a fellow fan is the fear that Michigan gets undone by another identity crisis.  Maybe more than any other program, Michigan's offense is always torn between classic between the tackles and modern (see the RichRod-Hoke cluster) and its really hard to be both. This wouldn't be the first time UM professed to run a flashier offense, only to keep the governor on playcalling or use personnel that didn't fit the scheme (it would be generous to say that Patterson's RPOs looked uncomfortable - if he doesn't improve quick, those will be McCaffrey's plays by year end). I agree that the ingredients should add up to a plenty competent offense, but the familiar way it sputtered is cause for concern.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2019, 03:03:40 PM »
Lynn Swann resigned today out here
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2019, 03:04:54 PM »
I’ve come to the conclusion Harbaugh was really good head coach when a QB named Andrew Luck was throwing the pill around.

;)
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2019, 03:05:02 PM »
College football is rich in tradition. Some of the better ones:

- The Go Blue banner
- Play like a champion today
- The Ohio band dotting the i
- Texas A&M's 12th Man
- War Eagle
- Tennessee: Checker Board End Zones and Rocky Top
- Ten Thousand Men of Harvard
- The Game: Michigan-Ohio State
- The Winged Helmet
- Touchdown Jesus
- Game watching from boats on Lake Washington
- Woo pig sooie
- Rammer Jammer, Yellow Hammer
- Rolling Toomer's Corner
- White Out
- Kidnapping Navy Goats and Army Mules
- Little Brown Jug
- The Beer Song
- Blue Turf
- Sparty's Spinning S
- Penn fans throwing toast
- Notre Dame's post game Alma Mater
- Hail to the Victors
- On Wisconsin
- Fight On
- Victory March
- Boomer Sooner
- Bow Down
- The Haka
- Rock Chalk Jayhawk
- Army-Navy
- Harvard-Yale
- Bama-Auburn
- Apple Cup
- Cal-Stanford
- The Civil War
- Red River Shootout
- Miami Smoke
- The Grove
- Lighting The Tower
- Cowbell
- Hook 'em Horns
- Midnight Yell
- Pink Locker Room
- Irish Guard
- Planting the Spear
- Gator Chomp
- Ralphie
- Tunnel Walk
- Stanford Band
- Tightwad Hill

All great!

Hold that Tiger! (LSU)
Touching the Rock at Clemson.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2019, 03:07:48 PM »
The celebration that was weird I saw (ACC Network), was Florida State winning on a missed extra point in overtime versus UL Monroe.

Didn’t watch it, but that one is probably more from relief they have fallen so far.  I expect UCLA to do the same whenever they get a win

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2019, 03:09:08 PM »
Not sure what you are referencing here. The Michigan players and band always head to the student section end zone after a win at The Big House where they sit on the wall to thank the students. This is a Big House tradition going back to Jerry Ford's time.

The Michigan players and staff were joined by the Army contingent where they sang each other's fight song and celebrated the joy of playing college football. It was a phenomenal demonstration of sportsmanship. Frankly, I believe the nation as a whole could learn from that.

Even the commentators noted after the game they were surprised at Michigan’s celebration instead of a “act like you have been there”.  This was not in regard to their tradition at end of games

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2019, 03:09:30 PM »
Lynn Swann out as USC AD
What former football player gets the gig now? Matt LI have a toothachert? Carson Palmer? Keyshawn?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2019, 03:12:20 PM »
Lynn Swann resigned today out here

Clay Helton pulled a big win v. Stanford the other night.  His career at USC will be decided the next four games (at BYU, Utah, at UW, at ND.)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2019, 03:16:57 PM »

Clay Helton pulled a big win v. Stanford the other night.  His career at USC will be decided the next four games (at BYU, Utah, at UW, at ND.)

I think he's already a dead man walking. New AD is going to want to bring in his own guy.
Heck, Clay may have been a dead man walking the moment Urban Meyer "retired" from tOSU.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2019, 03:20:41 PM »
Yeah you're probably right.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2019, 03:35:32 PM »
Lynn Swann out as USC AD
What former football player gets the gig now? Matt LI have a toothachert? Carson Palmer? Keyshawn?

One of their former running backs became available recently. Other than some Twitter videos, it seems like he has some time on his hands.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2019, 04:23:32 PM »

At home against a Stanford team missing their starting QB.  Slovis for USC was a freshman too, but he was in friendly and familiar territory at least.

I think he's already a dead man walking. New AD is going to want to bring in his own guy.
Heck, Clay may have been a dead man walking the moment Urban Meyer "retired" from tOSU.

Totally agree.  Swann stepping down solidifies that IMO.  Short of them losing 1 or 2, which i don't see, he's gone.  He's not the man for that job at all.  Unfortunately that means Harrell is probably gone too, which is unfortunate cause I think he's a really good, young OC.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2019, 10:28:44 PM »
Urban Meyer will be next USC coach

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2019, 02:56:43 AM »
Monken is the most underrated coach in America.  Brought Georgia Southern up to FBS from FCS and beat Florida in his last year.  Triple option isn't sexy, but its incredible the precision and discipline they play with on both sides of the ball.  They took Oklahoma to OT last year in Norman.  Incredible.  Don't see Navy winning the matchup as long as he's at West Point and Niumatalolo is in Annapolis.

As for Michigan, I think another problem is Patterson stinks.  I don't know if he'll be bad in perpetuity, but he's a far cry from the Heisman candidate he's been hyped to be.  Harbaugh is a good coach, but yet to be seen if Gattis can call a competent offense on his own.

Justin

Patterson has been stinking it up. The fumbles and the bad throws are a problem and are central to Michigan's struggles with the ball. Let's see if he gets his sh1t together.

Interesting about Niumatalolo. A couple seasons ago he could do no wrong. Now his seat is hotter than a pistol. Crazy business.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2019, 03:01:22 AM »
Even the commentators noted after the game they were surprised at Michigan’s celebration instead of a “act like you have been there”.  This was not in regard to their tradition at end of games

Got it. I wasn't aware of the Michigan players over celebrating.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2019, 09:56:45 PM »
Justin

Patterson has been stinking it up. The fumbles and the bad throws are a problem and are central to Michigan's struggles with the ball. Let's see if he gets his sh1t together.

Interesting about Niumatalolo. A couple seasons ago he could do no wrong. Now his seat is hotter than a pistol. Crazy business.

Agreed. McCaffrey is waiting in the wings and has looked good at times. Major CFB is certainly not unfamiliar with talented but underperforming starters being replaced and the team suddenly exploding upwards in form.  Camp Randall in 2 weeks will likely be his last stand.

As for Ken N, it’s no surprise that his predominant success and shine at Navy coincided with the 4 year stint of Keenan Reynolds, arguably the best Navy player since Staubach, and certainly the best since Navy stopped being a power in the modern era.  His backup was extremely talented as well and they got a good year out of him in 2016.  Rough since then. But I just think he is limited as a coach. Has only known Navy really, likely struggles in recruiting. Guys like a Paul Johnson and Monken excelled with recruiting at lower level schools, as well as time at an academy, that translated well.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2019, 08:51:34 AM »
Saturday the 14th.-- Some key games.
NC State at West Virginia 11:00 am FS1
Ohio State at Indiana 11:00 am FOX 
Pittsburgh at Penn State 11:00 am ABC

Alabama at South Carolina 2:30 pm CBS 
USC at BYU 2:30 pm ABC 
Arizona State at Michigan State 3:00 pm FOX
Iowa at Iowa State 3:00 pm FS1 

Florida at Kentucky 6:00 pm ESPN
Clemson at Syracuse 6:30 pm ABC
TCU at Purdue 6:30 pm BTN
Oklahoma at UCLA 7:00 pm FOX

If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2019, 10:22:37 AM »
Urban Meyer will be next USC coach

Meyer is dirty. The guy has left town in the middle of the night just ahead of the cops. I cannot believe USC would want his issues clouding their program.

What price victory...

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2019, 11:21:48 AM »
Meyer is dirty. The guy has left town in the middle of the night just ahead of the cops. I cannot believe USC would want his issues clouding their program.

What price victory...

You can call me biased cause Ive never liked the guy, but he's always had a stink on him.  His departure from Florida was shameful.  He missed a few recruiting classes and knew it and also, from multiple trusted sources, had some business going on with a coed that came to light.  Cue his "health problems" and desire to see his family and vanishing from Gainsville.  But shockingly, those health problems cleared up in less than a year and he decided he saw his family enough so he took an even more stressful and demanding job at OSU, lol.  His departure from OSU was even more squirmy and we know that its likely just the tip of the iceberg given OSU's well documented love of playing in the grey areas.

But why would USC take him?  Cause he's a scumbag but he's probably one of the top 10 CFB coaches of all time and USC needs to restore their former glory badly.  Just win baby, the Trojan way

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2019, 01:48:20 PM »

Urban is one of three best coaches right now. That is why many in the USC would want him. He won at BG, UTAH, Florida and Ohio State.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 01:50:21 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
-Bill Walton

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2019, 01:56:16 PM »
His departure from OSU was even more squirmy

Buzz coached at Ohio State?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2019, 09:39:16 AM »
Today's thoughts:

**I was wrong about Clay Helton
**Chip Kelly might be a worse coach at this point
**Alabama's defense isn't what it usually is
**Ohio State may be the best team not named Clemson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2019, 09:50:11 AM »
Today's thoughts:

**I was wrong about Clay Helton
**Chip Kelly might be a worse coach at this point
**Alabama's defense isn't what it usually is
**Ohio State may be the best team not named Clemson

Chip Kelly needs a stud QB for his system.  His QB right now is an absolute joke.  That said, he is a stubborn man and also looks disinterested.  Reminds me of Buzz his last year....just cashing checks

Bama has already lost two huge parts of the defense to injury

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2019, 05:58:31 PM »
Military schools had a big day.

-Citadel won a Georgia Tech in ot.

-Air Force won at Colorado in ot.

-Army & Navy both won well.
-Bill Walton

feedback