Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Crowder & Hayward to HOF  (Read 67752 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Crowder & Hayward to HOF
« Reply #175 on: August 19, 2019, 06:25:51 PM »
I think we can just ask Wally. He was cut but was allowed to graduate.

Not by the track team. He was welcome to stay on for a team he actually deserved to play on.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #176 on: August 19, 2019, 06:49:28 PM »
I think we can just ask Wally. He was cut but was allowed to graduate.

He was allowed to be on the track team, too.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #177 on: August 19, 2019, 06:50:59 PM »
First, you didn't go to MU in the 70s.

Second, I was there from 1966-70. Only anecdotal, (as is your daughter's experience) but on my wing of my dorm (40 guys) we had folks from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Oklahoma, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio in addition to the kids from Illinois and Wisconsin.

Don’t forget to call him Billy while you are at it.  Amazing, simply amazing.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #178 on: August 19, 2019, 07:02:18 PM »
Did you have these same discussions under Crean? Maybe it should be called the Wade Rule?  The Lazar Rule?  Or the Trend Rule? I seem to remember MUAD being taken out of the SA acceptance decision process somewhere under the Crean Era. Crean created a lot of animosity by going around academics to Wild on Wade.

Stop glossing it over as a Buzz issue.  It is inherent in the history of MUBB started by Al. Pat Smith, Bob Lackey, Walton, Whitehead, Johnson, Worthen, Green, etc.  We'll see how these new absolute elite rules play out.

As I have said numerous times, I don't agree with it and I strongly believe it goes against the historical mission of the university. When you are dealing with first generation college kids, there are always cracks that need judgment. It's called the Cracked Sidewalks Rule.

Wade has enough credits tracking to graduate in the time period allotted if he would have kept going.  Jae did not and mathematically could not.  I cannot answer for Lazar as I don’t know his situation.

Yes, we are all aware of the Dwyane getting in and what a great man he turned out to be....good for Crean in going to bat for him.  Remember, he had good enough grades, he did not have the test scores....the irony is that starting next year he could apply to MU and not even submit those test scores.  Same is true at other schools that no longer require standardized tests.

I’m for opportunities, but let’s at least tie them into what is potentially possible....earning a degree is at least statistically POSSIBLE.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #179 on: August 19, 2019, 07:06:39 PM »
Not by the track team. He was welcome to stay on for a team he actually deserved to play on.

So Wally finished on a track scholarship? I thought he was allowed to finish on a academic scholarship. Who knew?

In any regard, his lifetime scholarship was honored.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #180 on: August 19, 2019, 07:08:20 PM »
Wade has enough credits tracking to graduate in the time period allotted if he would have kept going.  Jae did not and mathematically could not.  I cannot answer for Lazar as I don’t know his situation.

Yes, we are all aware of the Dwyane getting in and what a great man he turned out to be....good for Crean in going to bat for him.  Remember, he had good enough grades, he did not have the test scores....the irony is that starting next year he could apply to MU and not even submit those test scores.  Same is true at other schools that no longer require standardized tests.

I’m for opportunities, but let’s at least tie them into what is potentially possible....earning a degree is at least statistically POSSIBLE.

Goal post shift alert.  The thread is on admittance not progression. Good try.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #181 on: August 19, 2019, 07:31:20 PM »
Applying a linear rules based system to address an organization problem only makes sense to bureaucrats and the passive aggressive. 

What a perfect summation, right down to the passive aggressive ex MU minor bureaucrat. Kudos, Frenn!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #182 on: August 19, 2019, 08:10:48 PM »
Quick question to those in the know that stuck out in this thread...does MU really administratively (or even in the hallways) refer to this as the "Crowder Rule"?

I am really hoping that is just a Scoop meme. 

Good back and forth on both sides in this discussion (mostly). I am a bit surprised about how the sides are aligning, I must say.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #183 on: August 19, 2019, 08:11:59 PM »
Well, Jae was admitted and eligible to play.  I assumed there was something of merit on his academic transcript.
High school
Goal is National Championship

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #184 on: August 19, 2019, 08:12:49 PM »
So Wally finished on a track scholarship? I thought he was allowed to finish on a academic scholarship. Who knew?

In any regard, his lifetime scholarship was honored.

I didn't think he finished? That's news to me
Maigh Eo for Sam

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #185 on: August 19, 2019, 08:14:07 PM »
So it was or it wasn’t a commuter school in the 70s? 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #186 on: August 19, 2019, 08:16:58 PM »
Quick question to those in the know that stuck out in this thread...does MU really administratively (or even in the hallways) refer to this as the "Crowder Rule"?

I am really hoping that is just a Scoop meme. 

Good back and forth on both sides in this discussion (mostly). I am a bit surprised about how the sides are aligning, I must say.
I understand has nothing to do with Juco's and everything to be able to have a chance graduate.
That's it and stop it, get off my effing lawn. My thread
Just feel happy for these guys. So many vile people on Scoop as the Hon Kong thread showed....

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #187 on: August 19, 2019, 08:26:41 PM »
Am I in Hong Kong?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #188 on: August 19, 2019, 08:38:16 PM »

Yeah, once his brother skedaddled he didn't deserve that scholly anymore.

And we're worried about giving a great kid (and player) who is totally NCAA eligible a scholarship - lifetime or otherwise? Really?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #189 on: August 19, 2019, 08:54:24 PM »
Yeah, once his brother skedaddled he didn't deserve that scholly anymore.

And we're worried about giving a great kid (and player) who is totally NCAA eligible a scholarship - lifetime or otherwise? Really?

If Jae has not made the NBA then MU literally just used a kid for his basketball talents without any chance of reciprocating the transaction. I don't feel strongly either way but if MU's belief is that they should only give scholarships to people who can realistically graduate so they feel less like they're using a player then I get it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #190 on: August 19, 2019, 09:19:00 PM »
Am I in Hong Kong?
You know fake news Jon posted about the Libyan raid and he had a lot of it wrong per his normal bragging BS. Appreciate his service, but love my 81 year old father's service that he has never bragged about. First only one body was recovered  and it was misidentified as Capt. Paul F Laurence, but instead that body was of the pilot Fernando Rivas-Dominicci. How do I know this? He is from here and his family is basically the equivalent of the Rockefellers. Point is he did not need to be a pilot but it was his dream to be a combat pilot. 2nd BS on the story it was not the French's fault, because at the time Gorbachev was President of Russia and the US trusted them a 30 minute warning was given to a Russian navy battle group stationed off Libya, unfortunately a rogue official of one of the ships tipped off the Libyans, by the time Riva's plane did his bombing run they were the target.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #191 on: August 19, 2019, 09:22:49 PM »
Some how double posted previous attachment couldn't edit

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #192 on: August 19, 2019, 09:34:16 PM »
If Jae has not made the NBA then MU literally just used a kid for his basketball talents without any chance of reciprocating the transaction. I don't feel strongly either way but if MU's belief is that they should only give scholarships to people who can realistically graduate so they feel less like they're using a player then I get it.

Galway,

Marquette has a long and storied history of giving scholarships to basketball players who had little to no chance of graduating during their eligibility. If the player was interested, he stayed on scholarship until he did. I guess these are now called "lifetime scholarships". So rejecting a Jae Crowder because he has 2 years of eligibility and needs 3 years to get a degree (again, if he even wants one), goes against what has always been MU's mission.
Giving an altruistic motive (we don't want to "use" a fully NCAA qualified athlete) seems  reeks of elitist hypocrisy.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #193 on: August 19, 2019, 10:03:16 PM »
Sorry to take this off-topic again...but Congratulations to Jae and Lazar!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #194 on: August 19, 2019, 10:25:17 PM »
Galway,

Marquette has a long and storied history of giving scholarships to basketball players who had little to no chance of graduating during their eligibility. If the player was interested, he stayed on scholarship until he did. I guess these are now called "lifetime scholarships". So rejecting a Jae Crowder because he has 2 years of eligibility and needs 3 years to get a degree (again, if he even wants one), goes against what has always been MU's mission.
Giving an altruistic motive (we don't want to "use" a fully NCAA qualified athlete) seems  reeks of elitist hypocrisy.

Why is it "elitist hypocrisy" for a school to consider a recruit's academics when deciding who to offer a scholarship to?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #195 on: August 19, 2019, 10:26:47 PM »
Why is it "elitist hypocrisy" for a school to consider a recruit's academics when deciding who to offer a scholarship to?
Because it fits a narrative tgat is not true.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #196 on: August 19, 2019, 11:04:38 PM »
Galway,

Big difference between didn’t because they chose to leave and couldn’t because it was mathematically impossible.  And as usual, your numbers are wrong.  It wasn’t three....try again.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #197 on: August 19, 2019, 11:06:42 PM »
Goal post shift alert.  The thread is on admittance not progression. Good try.

No, actually the thread is on both...can one be admitted and have the possibility of graduation within the limits of counting set by the NCAA.  No goalpost shifting at all....it is both and how can you claim otherwise?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #198 on: August 20, 2019, 07:58:53 AM »
Big difference between didn’t because they chose to leave and couldn’t because it was mathematically impossible.  And as usual, your numbers are wrong.  It wasn’t three....try again.

Wasn't three? With summer school, can't anyone graduate graduate in 3 years? Even if they enter with zero credits? Did Jae start out with minus 20?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #199 on: August 20, 2019, 08:02:27 AM »
Marquette has a long and storied history of giving scholarships to basketball players who had little to no chance of graduating during their eligibility.

It does???
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback