Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Crowder & Hayward to HOF  (Read 68640 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Crowder & Hayward to HOF
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2019, 03:32:08 PM »
The worst part of that year was the overwhelming sense of deja vu in the Washington game. After FSU, NC State, West Virginia, Nova (twice), and DePaul all ended up being games where we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, the three OT wins gave the impression that the team finally had the ability to hold together at the end and secure wins. Then we play Washington, build the massive lead that looked certain to propel us to the Sweet 16 (we all knew New Mexico was a paper tiger), and it all unraveled thanks to Pondexter and Thomas.

That NCAA game still haunts me as the whole "season ending with a thud" moment.

"The Endline Game"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2019, 03:53:52 PM »
"The Endline Game"

That was 2009 against Missouri. The game Brew is mentioning is when we choked a 16 or more lead in like 5minutes against Washington in 2010
Maigh Eo for Sam

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2019, 03:56:10 PM »
Well to deserved to both.  Congrats Jae and Lazar! 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2019, 03:57:16 PM »
Some guys complain about anything.   The proper response to this news is...'Awesome.  Congratulations.'
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2019, 03:59:30 PM »
The proper response to this news is...'Awesome. Congratulations.'

Hear, hear!
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2019, 04:03:07 PM »
That was 2009 against Missouri. The game Brew is mentioning is when we choked a 16 or more lead in like 5minutes against Washington in 2010

Ah yes.  All the heartbreaks are blending together with age.  At least the Kansas and MSU exits were over quickly.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2019, 04:14:11 PM »
Some guys complain about anything.   The proper response to this news is...'Awesome.  Congratulations.'

Correct.  Congratulations to Jae and Lazar!   

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2019, 04:39:49 PM »
Or excellent / outstanding
Goal is National Championship

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2019, 04:50:18 PM »
Or excellent / outstanding

C'mon, Newsy - gotta include terrific and tremendous....

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2019, 04:52:41 PM »
Yup
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2019, 05:15:41 PM »

Both were great, but Jae was my favorite Marquette player to watch since Wade. He was a ferocious competitor who treated every possession like his life depended on it. I don't know if anyone in my lifetime has been more deserving of the title Warrior.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2019, 05:26:49 PM »
Both were great, but Jae was my favorite Marquette player to watch since Wade. He was a ferocious competitor who treated every possession like his life depended on it. I don't know if anyone in my lifetime has been more deserving of the title Warrior.

Maybe Travis Diener or Chris Otule?

But I agree that Jae was also a Warrior.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2019, 05:29:26 PM »
The worst part of that year was the overwhelming sense of deja vu in the Washington game. After FSU, NC State, West Virginia, Nova (twice), and DePaul all ended up being games where we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, the three OT wins gave the impression that the team finally had the ability to hold together at the end and secure wins. Then we play Washington, build the massive lead that looked certain to propel us to the Sweet 16 (we all knew New Mexico was a paper tiger), and it all unraveled thanks to Pondexter and Thomas.

That was my senior year and there were about 60 of us watching it at a bar in Cancun. The highest of highs and the lowest of lows all within an hour
Bring back FFP!!!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2019, 05:32:29 PM »
Maybe Travis Diener or Chris Otule?

But I agree that Jae was also a Warrior.

I enjoyed both of them. But as far as playing with raw energy and a controlled reckless abandon, Jae takes the cake. Not sure anyone went to the floor or threw more balls off opposing players while going out of bounds than Jae did. There have been a lot of fun players to watch, but for me, he is at the top of that list.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2019, 06:32:23 PM »
100% right, Doc. MU doesn't want his "kind" around here anymore. But if MU can use his fame to help the brand...

Is MU running a huge marketing campaign behind this?  Let’s not overvalue the induction into MU’s HOF as suddenly going to lure kids to campus.  There is no exploitation going on here at all.  Crowder got a great deal, used that to help get him into the Association.

A former coach of ours now down in Texas couldn’t keep his staff and players out of some bad publicity and the university clamped down.  Want to blame someone, blame the CEO of the team then.

As for Jae, congratulations on the induction.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2019, 06:35:29 PM »
Standards change.  Is someone really going to say we haven’t accepted students that went on to become dentists (good ones) that wouldn’t be accepted today?  Or lawyers at MU.  Or general student body?  Of course the answer is true to all of these cases.

And standards will change again.  Things tend to swing back and forth.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2019, 06:37:11 PM »

I was there, and yes it felt inevitable, but we all hoped it wouldn’t be.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2019, 07:13:21 PM »
Sorry to take this off-topic, but congrats to Jae and Lazar.
Well done. I laughed.

Congrats to Zar and Jae. Two guys who embodied the Warrior brand perfectly
No Finish Line

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2019, 07:14:19 PM »
C'mon, Newsy - gotta include terrific and tremendous....
Leaving some for everyone
Goal is National Championship

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2019, 08:30:33 PM »
Is MU running a huge marketing campaign behind this?  Let’s not overvalue the induction into MU’s HOF as suddenly going to lure kids to campus.  There is no exploitation going on here at all.  Crowder got a great deal, used that to help get him into the Association.

A former coach of ours now down in Texas couldn’t keep his staff and players out of some bad publicity and the university clamped down.  Want to blame someone, blame the CEO of the team then.

Did anybody say "huge marketing campaign"? I didn't think so.

As for the rest, blah, blah, blah...same old same old broken record musings from the lying "more shoes to drop" promiser who never delivered. A normal guy would be ashamed and STFU. A normal guy.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2019, 08:51:08 PM »
Did anybody say "huge marketing campaign"? I didn't think so.

No but the idea that MU is somehow using Jae is wrong-headed and misguided.  Jae is, and always has been, a wonderful representative of the University.  And I'm glad that he feels good about his association with MU.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2019, 09:41:22 PM »

No but the idea that MU is somehow using Jae is wrong-headed and misguided.  Jae is, and always has been, a wonderful representative of the University.  And I'm glad that he feels good about his association with MU.

Actually, the idea that Jae used MU and MU used Jae is 100% correct. Nothing wrong with that, should be a win, win. And it was.

Now, though, MU has decided that the Jae Crowder's of the world are no longer welcome. If I were Jae, that would stick in my craw. He's evidently a better man than me, though, and for that I salute him.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2019, 10:17:01 PM »
Actually, the idea that Jae used MU and MU used Jae is 100% correct. Nothing wrong with that, should be a win, win. And it was.

Now, though, MU has decided that the Jae Crowder's of the world are no longer welcome. If I were Jae, that would stick in my craw. He's evidently a better man than me, though, and for that I salute him.

Lenny,

You are great poster with a ton of insight into MU basketball, especially the AL era.  But you and several other 70s poster are extremely negative and have an axe to grind.  There are elements to your posts that are correct (jucos should be allowed at MU) but my God this is a good thing.  There is no negative too it.  You are just being ornery and your 70s bunch is as well. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2019, 10:53:38 PM »
Lenny,

You are great poster with a ton of insight into MU basketball, especially the AL era.  But you and several other 70s poster are extremely negative and have an axe to grind.  There are elements to your posts that are correct (jucos should be allowed at MU) but my God this is a good thing.  There is no negative too it.  You are just being ornery and your 70s bunch is as well.

Thanks for the kind words, Shooter. Don't mean to be ornery, but I think the "Crowder Rule" (which is not a Juco ban) is an insult to Jae and a mistake for the program. Glad Jae doesn't take it personally - maybe he doesn't even know it exists. If he does, as I said, he's a better man than I am.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2019, 11:14:34 PM »
Fair enough.  Love the insight and the history you provide.

feedback