[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Real MLB Thread  (Read 185435 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Real MLB Thread
« on: August 13, 2019, 12:40:26 AM »
Looking for opinions on Wild Card predictions.

As flawed as the Cubs are, I still think they win the Central. That leaves Nats, Mets, Phil’s, cards, and Brewers to battle for WC. I’m going with Nats and cards, even though it wouldn’t surprise me to see ant “contender” go on an 8 game losing bender.

In the AL, I think Boston is finished. The loser in the Central and TB are my picks.

HouWarrior

• All American
Re: Real MLB Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 03:34:41 AM »

As flawed as the Cubs are, I still think they win the Central. That leaves Nats, Mets, Phil’s, cards, and Brewers to battle for WC. I’m going with Nats and cards, even though it wouldn’t surprise me to see ant “contender” go on an 8 game losing bender.

In the AL, I think Boston is finished. The loser in the Central and TB are my picks.
I agree on AL TB and As for that last spot I so admire how Billy B seems to always cobble together a late contender with relatively zero money But TB has more favorable schedule they made a few trade deadline tweaks and A’s just won’t get there. Of course I see my Astros in NLCS at a minimum If all stay healthy we are best on paper
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 06:37:19 AM »
I agree on AL TB and As for that last spot I so admire how Billy B seems to always cobble together a late contender with relatively zero money But TB has more favorable schedule they made a few trade deadline tweaks and A’s just won’t get there. Of course I see my Astros in NLCS at a minimum If all stay healthy we are best on paper

Stros in the NLCS would be very impressive.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 06:47:17 AM »
The nl central is shaping up to have an exciting ending. Maybe the Cubs can petition the mlb to only play home games?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 08:05:42 AM »

I agree the Cubs are likely to carry the division.  Even if the Brewers would somehow manage to pull off the wildcard, it feels like they just don't have the horses (or pitching) to do it this year.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 08:13:52 AM »

I’m going to have to disagree with you on the Stros.....they have the pitching, enough hitting, but the league they just don’t have.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 11:45:17 AM »
The nl central is shaping up to have an exciting ending. Maybe the Cubs can petition the mlb to only play home games?

And only if the weather is just right.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 12:01:30 PM »
Maybe this will be Cleveland's year, with expectations low for them compared to the Astros and Yankees. They can really hit, and pitching isn't half-bad.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 03:21:53 PM »
I agree the Cubs are likely to carry the division.  Even if the Brewers would somehow manage to pull off the wildcard, it feels like they just don't have the horses (or pitching) to do it this year.

'Bout how I see it.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 04:58:11 PM »
Stros in the NLCS would be very impressive.
Oops ....Sorry   ...How about ALCS lol
Astro fans spent decades pursuing NL glory ...It is still hard at times to get used to this AL thing
We all live in Ned Flanders Hell:
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-trp-001&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=trp&p=simpson+episode+hell+astros+in+american+league#id=1&vid=be89432f1f1faf3709eac67a765d4441&action=click
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 05:05:42 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 07:31:25 PM »
Oops ....Sorry   ...How about ALCS lol
Astro fans spent decades pursuing NL glory ...It is still hard at times to get used to this AL thing
We all live in Ned Flanders Hell:
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-trp-001&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=trp&p=simpson+episode+hell+astros+in+american+league#id=1&vid=be89432f1f1faf3709eac67a765d4441&action=click

You get to gloat this year, Hou. Again. I think your 'Stros are clearly the best team in either league.

Doesn't mean they will win it all, but I wouldn't put my money elsewhere.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 10:52:45 PM »
The Cardinals are coming, tra la tra la!

Still think the Cardinals could win the division. Have the best pitching of three NL Central contenders. The bats are awakening and both Ozuma and Molina are back in the line-up. If Carpenter begins to hit as well, this team could be explosive.

Cardinals do suffer from the same problem the Cubs do -- unbeatable at home, practically winless on the road.

I like the Brewers a lot. Counsell has done a great job. Saw them Saturday and they looked like a disciplined, efficient team. But, that pitching... yuck!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 06:52:09 AM »
The Cardinals are coming, tra la tra la!

Still think the Cardinals could win the division. Have the best pitching of three NL Central contenders. The bats are awakening and both Ozuma and Molina are back in the line-up. If Carpenter begins to hit as well, this team could be explosive.

Cardinals do suffer from the same problem the Cubs do -- unbeatable at home, practically winless on the road.

I like the Brewers a lot. Counsell has done a great job. Saw them Saturday and they looked like a disciplined, efficient team. But, that pitching... yuck!

The Brewers are absolutely terrible. There’s very little to like about them. Average offense, average defense, bad starting pitching, terrible bullpen. The only thing to like about them is the division they play in is garbage.

You’ve claimed the Cardinals are coming twice now. It quickly turned bad for you. Maybe the third time’s a charm.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 07:45:34 AM »
Cards and Cubs are tied in loss column, though Cubs have a 1-game lead by virtue of having played 2 more games (which they won).

Cubs and Cardinals meet in 7 of the season's last 10 games, with the season ending on a 3-game series in St. Louis. Could come down to that, which would be fun.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2019, 07:50:12 AM »
The Brewers are absolutely terrible. There’s very little to like about them. Average offense, average defense, bad starting pitching, terrible bullpen. The only thing to like about them is the division they play in is garbage.

You’ve claimed the Cardinals are coming twice now. It quickly turned bad for you. Maybe the third time’s a charm.

Last night was a gut punch. I would have kept Albers in (said it when they pulled him). He’s been one of our best relievers lately and Hader has been having trouble keeping it in the park. 7;homers in his last 15 innings I believe.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2019, 09:18:31 AM »
Last night was a gut punch. I would have kept Albers in (said it when they pulled him). He’s been one of our best relievers lately and Hader has been having trouble keeping it in the park. 7;homers in his last 15 innings I believe.

Yep. A loss last night was fine. Win today and a split with the Twins gives you a 6-2 homestand. But to have a late inning rally and blow it is very painful. Unfortunately, not the first time that's happened this season.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2019, 01:48:01 PM »

I see the baseball world through glasses with a shadow image of a redbird on a baseball bat. I'm optimistic but as I noted, the team can't win on the road to save its life.

Third is a time charm Brother Wade.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2019, 04:16:09 PM »
What the Cardinals do have as of this week is 19 of their final 46 games against teams with winning records. This includes a current stretch of 24 out of the next 33 games beginning this week vs below .500 teams. Those 9 games vs teams with a winning record? All of them are vs the Brewers. The Brewers meanwhile are playing 23 straight (beginning with the Twins this week) against teams with a winning record.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2019, 05:09:21 PM »
If.....

Gleyber Torres hit HRs at the same rate against all teams as he does against Baltimore, he would end up with 182 HRs

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2019, 06:51:53 PM »
What the Cardinals do have as of this week is 19 of their final 46 games against teams with winning records. This includes a current stretch of 24 out of the next 33 games beginning this week vs below .500 teams. Those 9 games vs teams with a winning record? All of them are vs the Brewers. The Brewers meanwhile are playing 23 straight (beginning with the Twins this week) against teams with a winning record.

I made a similar post on the Brewers sub-reddit about a long stretch against under .500 teams in June.  We went something like 10-17.  I blame myself.

Don't assume a long stretch against mostly losing teams is a gimme.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2019, 07:59:10 PM »
I think the Brewers just need to be in spitting distance as of September 15th. They close out with 4 series against teams that will have likely been eliminated already. Meanwhile, the Cubs and Cardinals play two series against each other, and the Cards play two series against other wild card teams.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2019, 08:44:48 PM »
I made a similar post on the Brewers sub-reddit about a long stretch against under .500 teams in June.  We went something like 10-17.  I blame myself.

Don't assume a long stretch against mostly losing teams is a gimme.

I don’t. Things can and do change all of the time. None of the three top teams in the division are what I would call strong. The Cardinals biggest challenge is offense and scoring runs. Bullpen is a strength. This season they have been strong against bad teams and close to .500 against winning record teams. It’s not one of their stronger teams. But that doesn’t always guarantee success or no success. Their 2006 team won 83 games (many later in season too) and won the World Series. While, their 2004 and 2005 teams were 105 win type teams and didn’t win a title. Their 2011 title team had a mix.

Many of their fans wish they still had former team exec Jeff Luhnow (Houston) but St. Louis isn’t the kind of franchise that would tank seasons for picks like what happened in Houston and Chicago. They are big on trying to be competitive every year. They need a few big hitters this year. We’ll see what happens. I always felt turning down Francona to hire Matheny a few years back was a mistake as well. But they often find a way to be in the mix many seasons.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2019, 08:47:47 PM »
I don’t. Things can and do change all of the time. None of the three top teams in the division are what I would call strong. The Cardinals biggest challenge is offense and scoring runs. Bullpen is a strength. This season they have been strong against bad teams and close to .500 against winning record teams. It’s not one of their stronger teams. But that doesn’t always guarantee success or no success. Their 2006 team won 83 games (many later in season too) and won the World Series. While, their 2004 and 2005 teams were 105 win type teams and didn’t win a title. Their 2011 title team had a mix.

Many of their fans wish they still had former team exec Jeff Luhnow (Houston) but St. Louis isn’t the kind of franchise that would tank seasons for picks like what happened in Houston and Chicago. They are big on trying to be competitive every year. They need a few big hitters this year. We’ll see what happens. I always felt turning down Francona to hire Matheny a few years back was a mistake as well. But they often find a way to be in the mix many seasons.

At least they got his spreadsheets.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2019, 08:47:50 PM »
Cubbies asses being handed to 'im by Phils, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2019, 10:00:33 PM »
At least they got his spreadsheets.

Chris Correa. He worked closely with Luhnow in scouting. Luhnow has had his share of enemies and is at minimum polarizing. Luhnow’s been accused of stealing The Nix method among other proprietary baseball info by others, and long time other MLB team complaints from stealing signs to other things, going so far as the Red Sox having someone removed from the ALCS a few years back.

His first several Astro teams were winning 50 plus games per year, slashing payroll, building picks, farm system, etc...for down the road success. And in part because he is good they have had success. The Cubs did that as well. That strategy just wouldn’t go over in the St. Louis market.

Jeff Luhnow had zero baseball experience prior to St. Louis. He got the job due to being friends with the owner’s son-in-law. He learned a lot there under Walt Jocketty, John Mozeliak, others, and he did well. Walt Jocketty was a good GM but of a different era with different philosophies than Luhnow. The hybrid of both was John Mozeliak who was brought in by Jocketty 8 years prior to Luhnow and still sits as President after being long time GM. Mo did a lot of good things over the years. But when you are the 2nd winningest MLB franchise in history, patience only runs so long. The Cardinals’ team success at different levels, and Luhnow’s work earned him opportunities and he landed at Houston.

feedback