[Today at 02:25:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Real MLB Thread  (Read 187288 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Real MLB Thread
« Reply #1225 on: October 31, 2019, 10:14:08 PM »
The best hitters dont have an uppercut swing.  They just get on plane much sooner.  It's the ted Williams style of swing.

You are right and wrong.

Yes, they get on the plane much sooner. But. the ball is moving downward on any pitch in the strike zone, so to get on the plane means a slight uppercut since optimum launch angle is around 27 degrees. A completely level swing gives a smaller area on the bat with which to make solid contact with the ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1226 on: November 01, 2019, 03:36:32 AM »
I'm not sure that's true anymore. This season featured an all-time record of homers hit, but TV ratings and attendance continued to fall.

I think they’d fall even further without the home run being so prominent. Length and pace of game, and regionalization of the broadcasting IMO are the biggest problems.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1227 on: November 01, 2019, 12:29:16 PM »
I think they’d fall even further without the home run being so prominent. Length and pace of game, and regionalization of the broadcasting IMO are the biggest problems.
Agreed, I find it impossible to dedicate 3-4 hours to a game when they are playing 6 games a week.  They really need to find a way to cut the games to 2.5 hours on average.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1228 on: November 03, 2019, 07:21:45 PM »
LoCain finally wins the Gold Glove.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #1229 on: November 04, 2019, 10:24:20 AM »
Mike Leake wins the Gold Glove for the AL, but finishes the season in the NL.
Zak Grienke wins the Gold Glove for the NL, but finishes the season in the AL.

Without looking it up, I'd assume there's no way that has happened before.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1230 on: November 04, 2019, 10:38:24 AM »
How do they play defense with gold gloves? I would think those gloves would have very poor flexibility.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1231 on: November 04, 2019, 10:46:33 AM »
How do they play defense with gold gloves? I would think those gloves would have very poor flexibility.
probable easier than with Golden Gloves.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1232 on: November 04, 2019, 11:09:45 AM »

Gold is soft and malleable. Probably easier to break in than a new piece of leather from Dick's.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1233 on: November 04, 2019, 11:38:18 AM »
Guess the Brewers are doing the "young pitchers will definitely take a step forward" thing again, huh?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1234 on: November 04, 2019, 11:52:06 AM »
Gold is soft and malleable. Probably easier to break in than a new piece of leather from Dick's.
Dick's sporting goods will steam the glove and make the leather soft and malleable.   For a price.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1235 on: November 04, 2019, 12:41:38 PM »
Mike Leake wins the Gold Glove for the AL, but finishes the season in the NL.
Zak Grienke wins the Gold Glove for the NL, but finishes the season in the AL.

Without looking it up, I'd assume there's no way that has happened before.

And Peralta was so great , he won while playing 1/2 season.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1236 on: November 04, 2019, 12:45:00 PM »
Brewers not picking up the $7.5 million option on Thames, who is a now a free agent. Going to be a busy off season.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1237 on: November 04, 2019, 12:45:46 PM »
Guess the Brewers are doing the "young pitchers will definitely take a step forward" thing again, huh?

I’m hoping this is to shed salary to be active in the FA and trade market. However, that may go to Grandal and Moose.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1238 on: November 04, 2019, 01:14:29 PM »
I’m hoping this is to shed salary to be active in the FA and trade market. However, that may go to Grandal and Moose.

This is what it looks like to me. Neither Anderson or Thames is dramatically overpriced at $8.5 and $7.5, particulalry if you're planning for them to be, say, your #4 starter and 70% of your first base ABs.  I think Stearns is preparing to make some bigger plays.

My bet would be on Moose being a part of that, but I think Grandal walks.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1239 on: November 04, 2019, 02:35:25 PM »
This is what it looks like to me. Neither Anderson or Thames is dramatically overpriced at $8.5 and $7.5, particulalry if you're planning for them to be, say, your #4 starter and 70% of your first base ABs.  I think Stearns is preparing to make some bigger plays.

My bet would be on Moose being a part of that, but I think Grandal walks.

Those were my thoughts as well.

Anderson had become a 4-5 inning starter. And .240 hitters with 25 HRs are almost a dime a dozen. I, too, expect Moose back on a 2or 3 year deal.

I expect they”ll also sign 2-3 pitchers.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1240 on: November 04, 2019, 02:56:23 PM »
You guys think the sign Moose for 3rd and give Shaw a shot at 1st, maybe as part of a platoon?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1241 on: November 04, 2019, 03:25:29 PM »
You guys think the sign Moose for 3rd and give Shaw a shot at 1st, maybe as part of a platoon?

Hopefully Shaw doesn't need to play.  Ever.  But I'm hoping Braun moves to 1B full time and Grisham gets a shot in LF.  I'd love to see Grandal back and playing 1B against righties on days we want Braun sitting.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #1242 on: November 04, 2019, 03:41:22 PM »
Brewers making room for Cole and Strasburg.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1243 on: November 04, 2019, 05:42:14 PM »
A couple of interesting names getting qualifying offers. Jose Abreu, though its kind of been a foregone conclusion he works something out with CWS, so probably not too big of a surprise. Was suprised to see Will Smith get one. That will make him the third highest paid reliever by AAV next year.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1244 on: November 04, 2019, 09:43:19 PM »
Hopefully Shaw doesn't need to play.  Ever.  But I'm hoping Braun moves to 1B full time and Grisham gets a shot in LF.  I'd love to see Grandal back and playing 1B against righties on days we want Braun sitting.

I like the plan.  Grish has some real potential I think and the Crew always needs some young, low cost guys.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1245 on: November 05, 2019, 12:46:58 AM »

This. Who knows what Stearns has planned, but it's hard to foresee considering this offseason a success if we don't retain Yaz. Value above replacement for that position is too high.

I saw MLB trade rumors projected him to get 4/68M (from the Reds). I do that AAV in a heartbeat.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1246 on: November 05, 2019, 07:14:40 AM »
Happy for some of the Nats old vets like Zimmerman, Suzuki (local Cal State Fullerton player), Javvy...likely their only championship and got it just before Father Time ran out the clock on their playing career.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1247 on: November 05, 2019, 06:08:09 PM »
Wait a doggone second ...

I just realized we had a Gold Glove discussion earlier ... and Javy Baez didn't win? And then I looked at the list of finalists, and he wasn't even one of those?

The greatest tagger since the game of tag was invented by Taggar T. Taggart?

Really? How is that possible?

Yeah, he missed the last month, but he had 5 months filled with the taggiest tags ever! And is it really true that he has never won a GG?

I demand a recount, not just for this season but for his entire career! Heck, I can't believe he didn't win the 1979 Gold Glove in anticipation of all the tags he eventually would make!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #1248 on: November 06, 2019, 09:14:36 AM »

I just realized we had a Gold Glove discussion earlier ... and Javy Baez didn't win? And then I looked at the list of finalists, and he wasn't even one of those?

Yeah, he missed the last month, but he had 5 months filled with the taggiest tags ever! And is it really true that he has never won a GG?

I demand a recount, not just for this season but for his entire career! Heck, I can't believe he didn't win the 1979 Gold Glove in anticipation of all the tags he eventually would make!!

There was a special ceremony in Chicago where Baez accepted his award with Adam Engel (I hope I spelled that correctly).

They played highlights of Adam's two catches against the Rays or whatever the hell everyone was excited about that one day.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1249 on: November 06, 2019, 09:29:41 AM »

Mike, I'd like to believe you were better than weak trolls that were barely amusing the first time, but I guess I'm wrong.  Pander to low hanging fruit i suppose.

Chapman and Arenado win again at 3B.  Short of some absolutely transcendent young talent appearing or injury, hard to see anyone else winning GGs at 3rd over the next 4-5 years.

feedback