[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hong Kong  (Read 24796 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Hong Kong
« Reply #200 on: August 15, 2019, 07:37:15 PM »
Hards

You paint with a very wide brush. I can tell you that I am part of a club of one. I judge each person individually and on their merit. I have enjoyed the company of people from all walks of life and learned a ton along the way. Honestly, I am more comfortable in a corner tap than any with a group of fat cats. I judge people by their heart and their knowledge. Some of the smartest people I have ever met are folks that never made a great deal of money.
The guys you judge on here I have no idea if they are wealthy or not. They have reached out to me in difficult times in my life and have offered help and kindness. I believe there is good in everyone if you look hard enough.

I feel we are probably more alike than different, simply different generations.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #201 on: August 15, 2019, 07:38:54 PM »
None of which was said on here.

Again, none of which was said on here, and your statement can be equally applied to all walks of life and the entire political and economic spectrum.

He has resorted to moving the goal posts again, next up come the DMs when this thread inevitably gets locked.  He's as predicable as the sun rising in the morning.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #202 on: August 15, 2019, 07:51:57 PM »
What is the difference between living and existing? Financial success? Learning?Traveling and immersing yourself in other cultures? Developing meaningful, lifelong relationships?

Are there multiple ways to "fulfill your promise and destiny?" When is the exact point that a fool becomes a man? Who defines this?

Apologies if this comes across as condescending but I'm genuinely trying to understand your opinion of what makes someone successful.

Some people are content to live out their existence within 100 NM of where they were born. They find comfort, joy, and meaning in family, community, and heritage.

Others wander, explore, immerse, and engage. And in that they, too, find insight, significance, and satisfaction.

Neither is better than the other. We are all built differently.

What defines a man, I believe, is in identifying then acting on opportunities to give back, make a difference, and leave things better than how you found it. Service takes many forms and can be articulated in both the micro and the macro. This has nothing to do with personal wealth. It is about character and conviction.

In my faith, Anglicanism, we do it because it is expected.

There are many who pontificate or shake their fists at the world but never leave the couch.

Don Quixote tilted at windmills but there was nobility in his futility. There was no stench of hypocrisy on him. Unfortunately, the world is full of hypocrites.

Global warming? "I'm not giving up my SUV, riding a bike, or taking the bus!"

Racial division? "It's not because it's an all-white neighborhood! It's because there are great schools here!"

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #203 on: August 15, 2019, 07:56:04 PM »
You're in the club or you aren't.  That being the old boys club.  Where casual racism isn't addressed, but brushed aside.  Where excuses are made for insults, and "I'm sorry if you were offended" is the mantra.  Where lives are measured on a balance sheet.  And you dont get a seat at the table unless you kiss the ring.  I've never wanted to be in their "club", but hey we cant all aspire to become such admirable blokes.  Just ask each of them, they'll tell you who they know, how much they make, basically, why they're the hotness.  Me, I just sit back and laugh at how pathetic it all sounds.  Trying to convince internet strangers of their importance.

That is a great post, Hards. Whether you meant to do so or not, you gave a great synopsis of the difference between Crash and Goose.

One (Goose) seems like a decent man. I certainly disagree with him on many issues discussed here on Scoop, but that has nothing do do with the measure of the man. From the little he reveals about himself on Scoop, one can surmise that he is a good family man with a strong sense of right and wrong.

The other (Crash) is a crass braggart. His every utterance is meant to glorify himself. His type are a dime a dozen and they exist in trailer parks and penthouses.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #204 on: August 15, 2019, 07:58:41 PM »
That is a great post, Hards. Whether you meant to do so or not, you gave a great synopsis of the difference between Crash and Goose.

One (Goose) seems like a decent man. I certainly disagree with him on many issues discussed here on Scoop, but that has nothing do do with the measure of the man. From the little he reveals about himself on Scoop, one can surmise that he is a good family man with a strong sense of right and wrong.

The other (Crash) is a crass braggart. His every utterance is meant to glorify himself. His type are a dime a dozen and they exist in trailer parks and penthouses.

Your type lives in trailer parks and penthouses too.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #205 on: August 15, 2019, 07:58:54 PM »
Most are, except for the ones that scam the system....we’ve had a problem with that out here in So Cal that is unfortunate, but well known to many a local resident and it has caused resentment for people that generally want to like those that do a job that is positive for the community.  As is usually the case, comes down to money and how to game the system.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-drop-new-enrollment-20180413-story.html

And this

https://reason.com/2018/05/21/firefighter-earned-300k-in-overtime-by-w/

I grew up in neighborhoods dominated by cops and firemen, so they were like family.  A blast to be around.  I feel bad that they have a bit of an image problem on their hands, but reforms needed because of the bad apples.

As you know, Jams, I have deep respect and admiration for the guys on the Crash Truck sitting at the end of the runway. Every so often, every fighter pilot i know took a bottle of scotch over to the fire house and let the guys know we appreciate what they do for us.

Many of those young men left the USAF and used the GI Bill to go to college and find a different path in life. Others stayed in the service and rose through the enlisted ranks to positions of greater authority.

I have often wondered at why people settle in life. Frankly, I would find that path depressing.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #206 on: August 15, 2019, 08:08:54 PM »
This has been an entertaining thread. I've learned a lot. Thanks, everybody.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #207 on: August 15, 2019, 08:11:36 PM »
Some people are content to live out their existence within 100 NM of where they were born. They find comfort, joy, and meaning in family, community, and heritage.

Others wander, explore, immerse, and engage. And in that they, too, find insight, significance, and satisfaction.

What defines a man, I believe, is in identifying then acting on opportunities to give back, make a difference, and leave things better than how you found it. Service takes many forms and can be articulated in both the micro and the macro. This has nothing to do with personal wealth. It is about character and conviction.

There are many who pontificate or shake their fists at the world but never leave the couch.

Don Quixote tilted at windmills but there was nobility in his futility. There was no stench of hypocrisy on him. Unfortunately, the world is full of hypocrites.

Racial division? "It's not because it's an all-white neighborhood! It's because there are great schools here!"

The unintentional hilarity gods have shone brightly upon us today, gentlemen.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #208 on: August 15, 2019, 08:11:52 PM »
This has been an entertaining thread. I've learned a lot. Thanks, everybody.

Mike, you ok??????

😜

Goose

• All American
« Reply #209 on: August 15, 2019, 08:12:24 PM »
Jockey

I do not throw out compliments easily, but I can assure that Crash is someone that I respect a great deal. He has been a friend, a mentor and someone that has been there in difficult times in my life. Mind you, that 98% of that friendship was a man that was simply an unknown person on the internet.
I think you are flat out wrong in how you and others speak of him. IMO if you have lived a life that is unique or remarkable it should be shared with others. As I have noted on being a poor student, I love the fact that Crash has had been googling crap to know what he is talking about. Have to add, many others have had me googling and I respect that as well.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 08:14:22 PM by Goose »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #210 on: August 15, 2019, 08:14:15 PM »
The unintentional hilarity gods have shone brightly upon us today, gentlemen.

Hards, you understand you’ve been trolled....for about two days now. You get it, don’t you?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #211 on: August 15, 2019, 08:20:19 PM »
Mike, you ok??????

😜

Never better. Indeed, I doubt many are happier than I am these days. Thanks for asking, though.

Carry on, folks.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #212 on: August 15, 2019, 08:22:26 PM »
Never better. Indeed, I doubt many are happier than I am these days. Thanks for asking, though.

Carry on, folks.

Tell me ewe finally got layed, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #213 on: August 15, 2019, 08:24:22 PM »
Hards   

I fully acknowledge that I cross lines on here and can be an pretty boy, but your dismissal of me on this thread regarding my thoughts on the protests indicates that we likely are not much alike. I think your dismissal of my thoughts, followed by “spare me a reply” probably derailed the beginning of great thread. You simply dismissed me without knowing anything about my background, simply because it was me.
Have to be honest, there are guys on here that I know their bias, but I would never tell someone on a non ball thread that they are dismissed. I have my ball bias and seldom post on any non ball thread. You chose to attack simply based on seeing Goose as the author of the post.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #214 on: August 15, 2019, 08:46:14 PM »
Hards   

I fully acknowledge that I cross lines on here and can be an pretty boy, but your dismissal of me on this thread regarding my thoughts on the protests indicates that we likely are not much alike. I think your dismissal of my thoughts, followed by “spare me a reply” probably derailed the beginning of great thread. You simply dismissed me without knowing anything about my background, simply because it was me.
Have to be honest, there are guys on here that I know their bias, but I would never tell someone on a non ball thread that they are dismissed. I have my ball bias and seldom post on any non ball thread. You chose to attack simply based on seeing Goose as the author of the post.

No, that's absolutely not the case.  I know very little about you.  Sure we disagree from time to time, but I disagree with lots of people on a wide variety of topics.  I even find time to agree with Cheeks on a rare occasion.  I don't hold someone's name or post history against them.  I judge simply on the merit of the argument.  I dismissed it because I don't think experience should ever take the place of knowledge.  The truth is what you've heard from the people you know in China is what they've been told.  Pure and simple.  And that isn't knowledge.  I was dismissive because it was very heavily implied that those who haven't been to HK or mainland China can't possibly know better than those who have.  I honestly have no idea who is behind the protest, and I'm smart enough to admit it.   I say this because no one knows.  We are talking about China for christsakes.  Their propaganda and censorship of information puts the rest of the world to shame.  Is it possible that there are paid protestors?  Sure, of course.  By simply existing as paid protestors do they co-opt the entire group?  Nope. 

It could be one, it could be the other, it could be both.  But when someone acts so damn sure of what is going on, rest assured, they usually don't.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #215 on: August 15, 2019, 08:47:41 PM »
Hards, you understand you’ve been trolled....for about two days now. You get it, don’t you?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #216 on: August 15, 2019, 08:49:30 PM »
Sad part about this thread, good guys are still good guys. Goose, Hards, The Dentists regardless of side here.

The bad part, keefe still going to keefe. Sad since he loves to tell us how much of a unnatural carnal knowledgeing American hero he is.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #217 on: August 15, 2019, 08:51:48 PM »

Troll job would imply those acting out of character to enlist response, everyone is playing their characters well here.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #218 on: August 15, 2019, 08:58:52 PM »
Troll job would imply those acting out of character to enlist response, everyone is playing their characters well here.

Trust me, he’s been trolled.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #219 on: August 15, 2019, 08:59:30 PM »

Keefe, I genuinely appreciate this post. Especially the bolded  This seems to be much more agreeable than some of your other stuff.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #220 on: August 15, 2019, 09:07:15 PM »
Keefe, I genuinely appreciate this post. Especially the bolded  This seems to be much more agreeable than some of your other stuff.

Jesmu84, enjoy our dialogue in the chat room. You know that.

Hards and a few others have been trolled here for a few days now. Kinda funny. Like tossing a bobber and crawler into a pond and watching the bluegills fight for a bite.   Your classic “solution looking for a problem”.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #221 on: August 15, 2019, 09:18:20 PM »
Trust me, he’s been trolled.

Trust me, I haven't.  Perhaps you think so, but I don't think you know what trolling is... outside of the lakes of course.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #222 on: August 15, 2019, 09:20:49 PM »
Trust me, I haven't.  Perhaps you think so, but I don't think you know what trolling is... outside of the lakes of course.

Nothing beats a Minn Kota.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #223 on: August 15, 2019, 09:24:50 PM »

🎣

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #224 on: August 15, 2019, 09:58:36 PM »

Hell, Chili, these guys get trolled every day by a meritocracy that rewards risk, skill, vision, intelligence, and balls. They would be better off packing up the Conestoga and moving the family down to Caracas.