[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 308418 times)

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2019, 03:46:12 AM »
CFL fields are 110 yards long.  So they are playing on a 90 yeard field. 

True, but the field was set up as a regulation NFL 100-yard field, so it was actually an 80-yard field.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2019, 07:52:47 AM »
True, but the field was set up as a regulation NFL 100-yard field, so it was actually an 80-yard field.

Yes.  Thank you for the correction.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2019, 08:36:51 PM »
Andrew Luck retiring. So unlucky with injuries.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2019, 08:41:37 PM »
Just gonna throw these out there for discussion’s sake, my best value bets heading into season. All lines from Bovada. I don’t necessarily predict these things will happen, but like the value.

Bills +300 to make playoffs

I like their schedule, they honestly should start 3-0, and then get the Pats at home. Josh Allen was sneaky good down the stretch last year.

Offensive Rookie of the Year - Miles Sanders +1600

I’m not buying Kyler Murray stock in 2019, I think the Cardinals are going to be a train wreck. I think Sanders becomes the lead back in Philly in an offense that will be putting up leads early and he’ll get a big workload.

Vikings +240 to win NFC North

I won’t be surprised at who wins the North, but there’s too much value here to ignore.

Texans +285 to win AFC South

This is my favorite on the board. Is Andrew Luck ok? Even if he is ok, are the Colts that much better than the Texans?  Duke Johnson might be better than Lamar Miller, or the Texans have the cap space to trade for Melvin Gordon.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 08:43:39 PM by MUDish »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2019, 08:53:19 PM »
Sorry, just saw the Andrew Luck news after my post, obviously changes everything in the AFC South.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2019, 09:02:27 PM »
Sorry, just saw the Andrew Luck news after my post, obviously changes everything in the AFC South.

Been texting with his agent, we just released commercial with Andrew three days ago.  To say everyone is stunned is an understatement.  Such a great guy, I feel for him.  One of my all time athletes to work with.  Still waiting to get actual confirmation from his agent.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 09:13:35 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2019, 10:34:47 PM »
Not a good look by the Indy faithful tonight.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2019, 10:58:58 PM »
Not a good look by the Indy faithful tonight.

Yeah, Andrew not happy about it either. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2019, 12:12:35 AM »
I'm not used to stunning retirements from players that don't play for the Lions

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2019, 03:05:01 AM »
Been texting with his agent, we just released commercial with Andrew three days ago.  To say everyone is stunned is an understatement.  Such a great guy, I feel for him.  One of my all time athletes to work with.  Still waiting to get actual confirmation from his agent.

Maybe Charlie Sheen is available?  That was the worst marketing deal ever made until Andrew. Who inked those? Very Traditional Deal.

Squirmy...in Montana!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 03:09:29 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2019, 09:04:19 AM »
Maybe Charlie Sheen is available?  That was the worst marketing deal ever made until Andrew. Who inked those? Very Traditional Deal.

Squirmy...in Montana!

The guy who did the Charlie Sheen deal is now the number 2 marketing guy at Apple.  Same guy that did many of those campaigns.

The Luck deal was fantastic, great partner and obviously the entire football world caught by surprise.  Now time to make lemonade out of lemons.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2019, 09:23:29 AM »
I feel like this Andrew Luck early retirement has been tossed around for years.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I always remembered hearing that Luck wasn’t always 100% in on the NFL and his ultimate interests were elsewhere.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2019, 09:36:33 AM »
I think Luck loved football when he was feeling well.  I'm sure the last couple of years has sapped his joy of the game.  At least he has alternatives.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2019, 09:39:28 AM »
I feel like this Andrew Luck early retirement has been tossed around for years.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I always remembered hearing that Luck wasn’t always 100% in on the NFL and his ultimate interests were elsewhere.

He has some other interests, made some smart investments with some of his endorsements instead of $$$ got equity which has been huge for him.

He is a smart guy and surrounded by smart people.  His dad is the commissioner of the XFL....his agent is his uncle who used to be high up in pro soccer ranks here in the states.  Andrew recently got married to his long time girlfriend, he will be fine but this was still a stunner.  Yes he has been in a ton of pain.  When we shot our commercial we had to be very careful because he was rehabilitating.  A lot of these guys, they are banged up later in life and the money is so massive now, they are saying they don’t need to put their bodies through it.  Still, walking away from $70 million guaranteed and a really good team is shocking.  I was expecting this more like early 30’s.  Wish nothing but the best for him and his wife.  Truly an awesome guy.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2019, 10:14:51 AM »

I'm curious, are you suggesting people should have known about this?  Players, media, teams calling this the biggest sports shock announcement since Magic retirement.  NFL counterparts, no one knew until yesterday.  They are in massive scramble mode.  I'm not really sure what you are suggesting here.

By the way, the fact you remember to this day Charlie Sheen means it made an impact to you....great deal.  That's what marketers and advertisers do, try to cut through and make an impression.  Thank you for acknowledging that with your comments on a commercial from 12 years ago and again 7 years ago that STILL resonates with you and made that impression.  BEAUTIFUL.  EXACTLY WHAT WE ARE PAID TO DO.  LOL  ;D

As for Luck and his creative chops, he did some good work. Like movies or tv shows, some commercials work great, some not as great.  Players are picked for many reasons...appeal, geographic pull, the team he plays for, position, etc.  Some players more controversial, some less, but there is a method to the madness.  He was an absolute pleasure.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_cI6Q3nZwi8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_cI6Q3nZwi8</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oh4LQQxuRgA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oh4LQQxuRgA</a>

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2019, 10:33:44 AM »

Did we get confirmation yet that this is real?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2019, 10:45:34 AM »
I'm sure the last couple of years has sapped his joy of the game. At least he has alternatives.

That's exactly what he said at his news conference, almost the exact words.

He is richer than most huge lottery winners, and he could get hired today for big-money jobs as an assistant coach or broadcaster, if that's what he wants. Or he can just sit around and live off his interest and dividends. He is in better financial shape than 99.9% of Americans. (You didn't say differently, Sultan. I'm just amplifying the thought.)

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2019, 11:51:39 AM »
Did we get confirmation yet that this is real?

LOL.  Yup. His agent didn't expect it to break until today when they planned on communicating to all of his sponsors, etc, so they were in crazy response mode in real time.  What a night and morning.  Happy for Andrew and Nicole....and their first child on the way.

wadesworld

• All American
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2019, 06:38:16 AM »
That’s funny. He only missed a “doink” by about 20 feet.

The funniest part is I don’t think I’ve ever heard a commentator actively root for a kicker so hard in my life...and it’s a preseason extra point.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2019, 07:05:35 AM »
I really don't understand Nagy's obsession with the "double doink" this offseason.  I think all it has done is unnecessarily amp up the pressure on whatever kicker they decide to go with.  This shank wouldn't even be an issue otherwise.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2019, 07:45:40 AM »
I really don't understand Nagy's obsession with the "double doink" this offseason.  I think all it has done is unnecessarily amp up the pressure on whatever kicker they decide to go with.  This shank wouldn't even be an issue otherwise.

100% agree, they’ve handled it terribly. This situation still puts me firmly in the jury is still out on Nagy. Lot of meatball over enthusiasts for him, I feel like I’m his biggest critic. The SI article on the kicking situation this offseason was interesting to say the least, lot of dumb stuff by the Bears.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2019, 07:58:51 AM »

Yup.

I was also listening to a recent PMT podcast with Morten Andersen and he said Cody Parkey used to practice hitting the uprights and said it's no wonder he hit them on that kick.  Hilarious that he used to practice that.

feedback