collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 03:31:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 317436 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #2525 on: July 16, 2020, 01:14:12 PM »
Sounds like a bombshell article coming by the end of the week about Washington. Rumors on Twitter of sexual harassment involving Snyder and others. Someone even threw out Epstein’s name.

I have a feeling that the Washington franchise won't be Snyder's by the end of the year.  Which is fine because someone needs to bring that franchise back. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2526 on: July 16, 2020, 01:23:29 PM »

I have a feeling that the Washington franchise won't be Snyder's by the end of the year.  Which is fine because someone needs to bring that franchise back.

Related...

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Minority shareholders of Washington’s NFL team have hired the investment bank, Moag & Company, to vet buyers and to sell their stake in the team, per a league source.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2527 on: July 16, 2020, 01:50:22 PM »
Related...

Minority shareholders of Washington’s NFL team have hired the investment bank, Moag & Company, to vet buyers and to sell their stake in the team, per a league source.

So the rumors of something big dropping on Friday are probably true.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2528 on: July 16, 2020, 02:06:27 PM »
So the rumors of something big dropping on Friday are probably true.

They’ve been claiming “big news about to drop” since Sunday night. The day it was happening keeps getting pushed back. I’m not doubt there is some serious stuff, but it’s annoying how many vaguely phrased promises are being splashed about with nothing actually coming out as they kick the can down the line

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #2529 on: July 16, 2020, 02:15:43 PM »
In early May I bought tickets to the Colts v Packers game in Indy scheduled for November 22 on Ticketmaster/NFL exchange. 

Today, Ticketmaster sent me this:

"Dear Indianapolis Colts Fan,

Along with the Indianapolis Colts, Ticketmaster's highest priority is helping to keep everyone safe as we start getting fans back in the stands. It's in this spirit that the Indianapolis Colts have updated their event safety protocols to reduce seating capacity for the upcoming season.

Because of the need to reduce the seating capacity to allow for social distancing, all current Indianapolis Colts ticket holders will be issued a refund and your tickets will no longer be valid. You will receive a full refund (including fees and taxes) via your original payment method within the next 3-7 business days. Please note that to be eligible for the refund, you must have purchased your tickets directly from Ticketmaster.

If Indianapolis Colts tickets become available, we will send fans who previously purchased tickets a heads up email, so keep an eye on your inbox."

Ludum habemus.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2530 on: July 16, 2020, 03:37:01 PM »
Related...

I have no knowledge of 'big news' or 'no big news'.  That being said I wouldn't interpret this as related necessarily as it relates to anything being dropped.  This is the natural next step to an already announced plan by the minority owners to sell their stake.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2531 on: July 16, 2020, 04:38:11 PM »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2532 on: July 16, 2020, 04:47:46 PM »
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1283876236725452803?s=19

Washington Post Story.

Behind a paywall, of course.  Here is the headline.

Exclusive: Fifteen women who worked for Redskins allege sexual harassment by former scouts and members of owner Daniel Snyder’s inner circle

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2533 on: July 16, 2020, 04:57:27 PM »
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1283876236725452803?s=19

Washington Post Story.

The Pro Football Talk version:

The much-anticipated Washington Post exposé of the Washington NFL team has been published, and it details widespread sexual harassment within the organization.
Describing women who worked for the franchise, the Post reports, “they cried about the realization their dream job of working in the NFL came with what they characterized as relentless sexual harassment and verbal abuse that was ignored — and in some cases, condoned — by top team executives.”
In all, the report cites 15 different women who say they were sexually harassed while working for the team. Among the employees accused of sexual harassment is Larry Michael, the team’s radio announcer, who abruptly announced this week that he was leaving the team.
Also named in the article are two employees who were recently fired, director of pro personnel Alex Santos and assistant director of pro personnel Richard Mann II.
Team owner Daniel Snyder refused to be interviewed for the report. But he won’t be able to stay silent for long, as this will become the talk of the NFL — and is likely to lead to calls for Snyder to sell the team, whether he wants to or not.

Marge Schott
Donald Sterling
Jerry Richardson
Dan Snyder

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2534 on: July 16, 2020, 05:06:47 PM »
They’ve been claiming “big news about to drop” since Sunday night. The day it was happening keeps getting pushed back. I’m not doubt there is some serious stuff, but it’s annoying how many vaguely phrased promises are being splashed about with nothing actually coming out as they kick the can down the line

....aaaaand that’s why. This is not good, certainly wrong and inappropriate behavior, but very little will come of it and this is far a bombshell from making Snyder give up the team unless there is more coming

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2535 on: July 16, 2020, 05:14:25 PM »
....aaaaand that’s why. This is not good, certainly wrong and inappropriate behavior, but very little will come of it and this is far a bombshell from making Snyder give up the team unless there is more coming

He's being accused of overlooking more than a decade of sexual harassment and verbal abuse of 15 women within his company, including by members of his inner circle.
If you don't think that puts him in jeopardy in today's environment, you're not reading the room.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2536 on: July 16, 2020, 05:27:15 PM »
He's being accused of overlooking more than a decade of sexual harassment and verbal abuse of 15 women within his company, including by members of his inner circle.
If you don't think that puts him in jeopardy in today's environment, you're not reading the room.

So was Cuban with the Mavs. Bob Kraft was in a criminal sex scandal. The Bengals has cheerleaders speaking out on rampant sexual harassment in the organization being normal.   The Redskins already got under fire for inappropriate conduct involving cheerleaders. That vanished People will get fired. Concessions will he made, and Snyder will skate.

Maybe you’re right, but outside of an old and decrepit Jerry Richardson, there’s no precedent for Snyder to be toast. Especially when you’re as stubborn, ornery, and combative as him

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2537 on: July 16, 2020, 05:42:20 PM »
So was Cuban with the Mavs. Bob Kraft was in a criminal sex scandal. The Bengals has cheerleaders speaking out on rampant sexual harassment in the organization being normal.   The Redskins already got under fire for inappropriate conduct involving cheerleaders. That vanished People will get fired. Concessions will he made, and Snyder will skate.

Maybe you’re right, but outside of an old and decrepit Jerry Richardson, there’s no precedent for Snyder to be toast. Especially when you’re as stubborn, ornery, and combative as him

With all due respect, most of these are bad comparisons.
Bob Kraft got a rub and a tug. That's not quite the same as 10+ years of pervasive harassment of female employees, right?

The Bengals cheerleaders claims were not against members of the organization, and certainly not high-ranking members. Same with the Washington cheerleaders.

The only situation remotely close is that of Cuban, but he didn't escape unscathed and the environment has changed even since then.
My guess is the rest of the league's owners would be happy to be rid of Snyder and this may give them their ammo to do it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2538 on: July 16, 2020, 05:49:59 PM »
Snyder is a POS and that’s never been in doubt. None of this is entirely surprising given that. But all the rumors and speculation leading up the last few days had the feel of direct shots to or blowback onto Snyder.  Reading this just feels like there will be plenty of plausible deniability for Snyder to wiggle out of.

Changes will be made. The Washington TBDs can institute all sorts of protocol and changes to usher in the new era with the team name change, while putting bad apples on the discard heap.

But let’s see, if we get Fred Smith getting vocal and arming for battle, then maybe something happens. I hope I’m wrong. I just think the NFL is the worst about follow through in these sort of matters

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2539 on: July 16, 2020, 05:54:20 PM »
The article is bad, but not a bombshell by any means. It’s sad and wrong that I’m not shocked a Daniel Snyder run organization hired a bunch of terrible guys and harassment ran wild. No female employee deserves that treatment. I read the article and thought the hype didn’t get met.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2540 on: July 16, 2020, 05:58:38 PM »
But let’s see, if we get Fred Smith getting vocal and arming for battle, then maybe something happens. I hope I’m wrong. I just think the NFL is the worst about follow through in these sort of matters

But Fred Smith announced he is selling on July 5th.  If I were betting that's how he is flushing Snyder.  Forcing the name change and then forcing him to 1. take on a new minority investor (which will have to reconcile this issue) or 2. Sell to a new group.

Both of those can be an outcome.  But one of them would take attracting money that is OK with Snyder continuing as the lead.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2541 on: July 16, 2020, 06:29:34 PM »
I guess that's the sad thing about this world.  Sexual harassment for over a decade and it's considered obviously a bad situation for these women but isn't considered a bombshell or shocking.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2542 on: July 16, 2020, 06:43:15 PM »
I guess that's the sad thing about this world.  Sexual harassment for over a decade and it's considered obviously a bad situation for these women but isn't considered a bombshell or shocking.

Was enough for Jerry Richardson though. He had racist baggage too, though.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2543 on: July 16, 2020, 06:45:23 PM »

Precedent for the NFL is that if there's no video evidence, then no significant punishment

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2544 on: July 16, 2020, 07:21:23 PM »
Was enough for Jerry Richardson though. He had racist baggage too, though.

And Richardson, himself, was the worst of the sexual harassers. It doesn't look like Snyder himself was, based on what we know so far; maybe there's more, though.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2545 on: July 16, 2020, 07:37:41 PM »
But Fred Smith announced he is selling on July 5th.  If I were betting that's how he is flushing Snyder.  Forcing the name change and then forcing him to 1. take on a new minority investor (which will have to reconcile this issue) or 2. Sell to a new group.

Both of those can be an outcome.  But one of them would take attracting money that is OK with Snyder continuing as the lead.

Discussions of minority investors selling have been ongoing for over a year. Fred Smith is a bit busy today explaining why he donated to anti-Black Lives Matter Senator Kelly Loeffler. (Including a donation on Juneteenth)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2546 on: July 16, 2020, 08:41:30 PM »
 i wonder how NBC is going to cover this one...perfect timing for matt lauer to revive his career
don't...don't don't don't don't

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2547 on: July 16, 2020, 08:51:36 PM »
Discussions of minority investors selling have been ongoing for over a year. Fred Smith is a bit busy today explaining why he donated to anti-Black Lives Matter Senator Kelly Loeffler. (Including a donation on Juneteenth)

That’s a reach and a half. A $65B corporation made a $15K contribution (of which they make countless across political races, parties, and beliefs), the last of which was weeks prior to her statements. It’s not like Fred Smith was personally handing her checks after her WNBA comments.

But agreed that outside investor money will be the most potentially impactful force if anything is gonna be done with Napoleon Snyder

jesmu84

• All American

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2549 on: July 17, 2020, 08:17:13 AM »
https://twitter.com/JJWatt/status/1283826377230356483?s=19

Good to know that the most wealthy and powerful organization in US sports has taken the last few months to do...seemingly nothing