'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Hijacked Butler Thread  (Read 12472 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Hijacked Butler Thread
« on: June 30, 2019, 04:26:52 PM »
This interview with JFB is 27 minutes long but well worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Alsk1lQ_no
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 09:35:32 PM by Herman Cain »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Funny Interview with JFB
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 08:32:19 PM »
  https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27092928/heat-finalizing-sign-trade-butler

curious, besides the money, the weather and the babes...what up in miami?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 08:39:18 PM »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 09:04:14 PM »
  https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27092928/heat-finalizing-sign-trade-butler

curious, besides the money, the weather and the babes...what up in miami?

What else would one need?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 09:04:54 PM »
Dude got married, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 09:12:55 PM »
A long history of Marquette stars!

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 10:33:01 PM »
I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Jimmy has a career in television when his playing days are over.  He’s well-spoken, charismatic, and had an easy rapport with the guy who was interviewing him.  I know there are some folks here who think we were overrun with JUCO scum during the Buzz era, but some of those guys have turned into fine representatives of the program. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 11:39:09 PM »
I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Jimmy has a career in television when his playing days are over.  He’s well-spoken, charismatic, and had an easy rapport with the guy who was interviewing him.  I know there are some folks here who think we were overrun with JUCO scum during the Buzz era, but some of those guys have turned into fine representatives of the program.

Way to go Idaho
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 08:09:22 AM »

Suggest deleting "well-spoken" from your vocabulary.  I'm not saying this about you specifically, but it is a problematic compliment... and it gets used here a lot.

Put it this way.  Do our white players get referred to as "well-spoken" or "articulate"?

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 08:40:35 AM »
Suggest deleting "well-spoken" from your vocabulary.  I'm not saying this about you specifically, but it is a problematic compliment... and it gets used here a lot.

Put it this way.  Do our white players get referred to as "well-spoken" or "articulate"?

From what I saw of Sam’s interviews, I thought he mostly sounded like a jock.  I remember when Brian Wardle filled in on the radio for a game one time and he was absolutely terrible.  Travis Diener was also a bad interview when he was here.  Wojo’s head would explode if you put him in studio.  An example of a white athlete who’s well-spoken?  John Smoltz.

Do our white players get referred to as well-spoken?  Sure.  If I see one who gives a good interview, I’ll give him credit.  Matt Heldt seems okay from the clips I’ve seen.  Jocks don’t always make for good speakers.  The ones who do stand out, regardless of race.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 08:46:17 AM »

Problematic, please explain.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 08:53:17 AM »
From what I saw of Sam’s interviews, I thought he mostly sounded like a jock.  I remember when Brian Wardle filled in on the radio for a game one time and he was absolutely terrible.  Travis Diener was also a bad interview when he was here.  Wojo’s head would explode if you put him in studio.  An example of a white athlete who’s well-spoken?  John Smoltz.

Do our white players get referred to as well-spoken?  Sure.  If I see one who gives a good interview, I’ll give him credit.  Matt Heldt seems okay from the clips I’ve seen.  Jocks don’t always make for good speakers.  The ones who do stand out, regardless of race.

Okay then, I guess, take it personally.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2019, 09:26:58 AM »

Hards - I get what you're saying - as an example, that tape of Joe Biden trying to "compliment" Barak Obama is positively cringe worthy. That said, I didn't get the same vibe reading what Research wrote. Black or white, being "well spoken" or articulate is a major asset for a career in broadcasting (sports or otherwise). When I think articulate, for example, both Jim Nantz and Mike Tirico come to mind. I hope both would take it as a compliment - I know I would if someone said the same of me.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2019, 09:29:06 AM »
Problematic, please explain.

Well spoken is a compliment that is usually only given to people of color. You don't hear many people say it about white people. Now before you go "well back in 1998 I said this white person was well spoken" it doesn't matter. It's not about you or any person specifically, it's just something that has happened in our culture.

The reason it is problematic is because if it is a compliment only said about people of color, the implication is that it expected for a white person to be well spoken but it is a pleasant surprise when a person of color is well spoken.

Now you can debate this all you want and that's fine. We are allowed to have our own opinions on the matter. But if your goal is to compliment the person, keep in mind that while you may intend a compliment, your impact may be offensive. A compliment should be about making the other person feel good, not about making yourself feel good. So why use a compliment that you know may end up making the other person feel bad?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2019, 09:32:29 AM »
JFB is so freakin' cool.

MakeItRain11

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2019, 09:35:00 AM »
Just waiting for someone to do the Chris Rock routine....

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2019, 09:36:23 AM »
Just waiting for someone to do the Chris Rock routine....

Bingo

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2019, 09:37:18 AM »
Hards - I get what you're saying - as an example, that tape of Joe Biden trying to "compliment" Barak Obama is positively cringe worthy. That said, I didn't get the same vibe reading what Research wrote. Black or white, being "well spoken" or articulate is a major asset for a career in broadcasting (sports or otherwise). When I think articulate, for example, both Jim Nantz and Mike Tirico come to mind. I hope both would take it as a compliment - I know I would if someone said the same of me.

I agree with you 100% Lenny. I could clearly tell RR's intent was positive. If Hards had come at him and called him a racist or a bad person he would have totally been off base. But fair or not, "well spoken" and "articulate" have become dog whistles in our culture that have problematic implications. I think it is similar to the idea of saying a black athlete is "strong like a gorilla." An athlete's strength is a major asset in his/her career and the phrase is intended to compliment, but in our culture we know that comparing a black person to a monkey in any way is not going to be taken positively. I took Hards post as a "hey, so you know...trying to help" type post, rather than as a condemnation.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2019, 09:41:14 AM »
Or calling a white player "deceptively quick."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2019, 09:55:45 AM »
I agree with you 100% Lenny. I could clearly tell RR's intent was positive. If Hards had come at him and called him a racist or a bad person he would have totally been off base. But fair or not, "well spoken" and "articulate" have become dog whistles in our culture that have problematic implications. I think it is similar to the idea of saying a black athlete is "strong like a gorilla." An athlete's strength is a major asset in his/her career and the phrase is intended to compliment, but in our culture we know that comparing a black person to a monkey in any way is not going to be taken positively. I took Hards post as a "hey, so you know...trying to help" type post, rather than as a condemnation.

Thank you.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2019, 09:56:22 AM »

Bingo.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2019, 10:06:04 AM »

A real gym rat. Cerebral player.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2019, 10:17:06 AM »

The problem (it seems to me) is that there are tons of ways to compliment an athlete on his strength, for example, without referencing gorillas or monkeys. That such a comparison should be off limits is obvious to me. And certainly when some people use words like well spoken or articulate to describe a black person it is a back handed compliment of surprise that denigrates blacks in general. But should we let a some clumsy or even racist people deny blacks the right to be complimented sincerely as articulate? Is that a positive distinction (being well spoken) that only whites should enjoy? What inoffensive substitute can we use to give people of color their just due? Granted, I'm old, but the black and white people I know consider "articulate" to be a positive and ignore the morons who use it sarcastically.

feedback