'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Big East Is The Winner In This Round Of Conference Expansion  (Read 10021 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Big East Is The Winner In This Round Of Conference Expansion
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2019, 10:31:28 PM »
Curious about the details of the P5 ban. Does it list specific conferences? What if two football leagues merged, could they join a new conference that doesn't exist today?

That clause alone could flip my feelings on this deal. Especially if it's for the full 10 years of the buyout.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2019, 10:37:56 PM »
Curious about the details of the P5 ban. Does it list specific conferences? What if two football leagues merged, could they join a new conference that doesn't exist today?

That clause alone could flip my feelings on this deal. Especially if it's for the full 10 years of the buyout.
The agreement specifically outlines the leagues by name. I immediately thought of your concern when reading that.

The preamble in the agreement very clearly lays out the whole instability issue and how much damage it could cause. Very well thought out.

The terms of surrender here are very strong.

We also made them U Conn put the entrance fee up two days in advance of the press conference . Obviously the trust level was quite low.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2019, 07:45:29 PM »
Villanova will have its whole schedule pretty much in place every year. 20 game Big East . 4 Big 5 games, a Gavitt  a Big 12 game and 3 preseason tourney. Not much room for cupcakes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inquirer.com/college-sports/big-east-conference-uconn-connecticut-val-ackerman-announcement-20190627.html%3FoutputType%3Damp
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2019, 07:53:09 PM »
Villanova will have its whole schedule pretty much in place every year. 20 game Big East . 4 Big 5 games, a Gavitt  a Big 12 game and 3 preseason tourney. Not much room for cupcakes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inquirer.com/college-sports/big-east-conference-uconn-connecticut-val-ackerman-announcement-20190627.html%3FoutputType%3Damp

I actually wonder if this might signal the end of the Big 5 as we know it. With the AAC going to 11 after losing UConn and not looking to replace them, they could also go straight to a 20-game round robin, which would mean a similar scheduling crunch for Temple. I could see that being a casualty as those games are really risky to be the guaranteed wins for a team like 'Nova.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2019, 08:11:02 PM »
Rotate with Temple, St. Joe's, LaSalle and Penn. Villanova could play 2 of the 4 each season. I guess it depends how big the Big 5 series really is in 2020.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2019, 09:22:39 PM »
I actually wonder if this might signal the end of the Big 5 as we know it. With the AAC going to 11 after losing UConn and not looking to replace them, they could also go straight to a 20-game round robin, which would mean a similar scheduling crunch for Temple. I could see that being a casualty as those games are really risky to be the guaranteed wins for a team like 'Nova.
The Big 5 is a Philly basketball culture thing that none of those teams want to give up.
                       ---Al McGuire

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2019, 07:36:34 AM »

I think the pre-season tournament only counts as one game against scheduling limits.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2019, 04:20:08 PM »
The Big 5 is a Philly basketball culture thing that none of those teams want to give up.

So?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2019, 04:51:56 PM »
So?
If you ever lived in Philly you would understand what it is all about .
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2019, 06:31:27 AM »
If you ever lived in Philly you would understand what it is all about .

The point isn't whether they want it but if keeping it becomes feasible. When you are playing for a bid, you need wins. Villanova's loss to Penn is a problem, but in the long run Temple's odds of getting an at-large will be just as important. Similarly, the continued existence of the Big 5 will impact the ability to generate revenue due to decreased home games.

I get that they want to keep the Big 5. But between revenue, NCAA bid possibilities, and the simple evolving reality of diminishing non-conference scheduling, it may become a relic of the past that can't be retained.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2019, 07:00:47 AM »
The point isn't whether they want it but if keeping it becomes feasible. When you are playing for a bid, you need wins. Villanova's loss to Penn is a problem, but in the long run Temple's odds of getting an at-large will be just as important. Similarly, the continued existence of the Big 5 will impact the ability to generate revenue due to decreased home games.

I get that they want to keep the Big 5. But between revenue, NCAA bid possibilities, and the simple evolving reality of diminishing non-conference scheduling, it may become a relic of the past that can't be retained.

The Big 5 didn’t have their current and historical format from 91-99.  It was considered a big mark against Rollie Massinino’s legacy.

“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
                       ---Al McGuire

source?

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2019, 11:21:33 PM »
If current BE schools can't hack it, then we are lucky UConn is picking up the slack. I think we'll be just fine.