[Today at 04:59:57 AM]

WKU by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 04:00:58 AM]

Selection Sunday article from the Bowling Green Daily News by real chili 83
[Today at 03:25:41 AM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Bracketology: Final Thoughts by 1SE
[Today at 02:29:56 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: Big East Is The Winner In This Round Of Conference Expansion  (Read 10031 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The Big East has scored an important victory by getting U Conn back in the fold under terms of surrender.  While U Conn basketball  is down , I view it as a temporary thing , more a function of them absorbing the next coach after a legend and less of their being in a sub-optimal conference.  I think with Coach Hurley they should be healthy enough to begin making the  tournament in the next few years. 

The on court benefits and rivalry aspects that enhance attendance are pretty straightforward. However , I believe there is an intangible aspect that also  helps the league .  The fact that we are now seen as not only a survivor ,but desirable is a very important consideration. On top of that the atmosphere outside MSG at the BET will be enhanced with several thousand  more Huskie fans milling around. BET has been gaining momentum selling 99.7 of capacity and I think this development will only enhance the tournament appeal to the see and bee seen types . When the BET becomes a see and bee seen type  event that  is important to league media hype. New York City is the media capital and amplifies these things.

When contract renewal comes around, I expect ESPN, and potentially NBC Sports, to  make a very healthy bid against Fox. In the short run the league has been gaining more broadcast network exposure on Fox and CBS and this new development will only enhance that trend.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Big East Is The Winner In This Round Of Conference Expansion
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 02:44:04 PM »
Agreed on all counts Herman. While we may not be able to raid the P5 conferences (at least not yet...I have this crazy dream where the Big 12 gets divided among the other 4 P5 conferences and we convince Kansas to pull a UConn), this should put to rest any belief that the AAC is even close to comparable to the Big East. There wasn't really a logical argument before but the fact that a football school would rather be in our conference with independent or low major football than be in the AAC should end all debate. It reminds me of when fans of a certain A10 program were convinced that the C7 would be crawling to them for help....right before we took their top two programs from them.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 03:43:58 PM »
Would be nice to get perhaps at least a small deal with ESPN to have some games. That way they can promote the Big East more without worrying they are just touting a fox asset

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 03:45:16 PM »
The Big East has scored an important victory by getting U Conn back in the fold under terms of surrender.  While U Conn basketball  is down , I view it as a temporary thing , more a function of them absorbing the next coach after a legend and less of their being in a sub-optimal conference.  I think with Coach Hurley they should be healthy enough to begin making the  tournament in the next few years. 

The on court benefits and rivalry aspects that enhance attendance are pretty straightforward. However , I believe there is an intangible aspect that also  helps the league .  The fact that we are now seen as not only a survivor ,but desirable is a very important consideration. On top of that the atmosphere outside MSG at the BET will be enhanced with several thousand  more Huskie fans milling around. BET has been gaining momentum selling 99.7 of capacity and I think this development will only enhance the tournament appeal to the see and bee seen types . When the BET becomes a see and bee seen type  event that  is important to league media hype. New York City is the media capital and amplifies these things.

When contract renewal comes around, I expect ESPN, and potentially NBC Sports, to  make a very healthy bid against Fox. In the short run the league has been gaining more broadcast network exposure on Fox and CBS and this new development will only enhance that trend.

Excellent post, Herman. Let’s not forget the contributions all our institutions’ great fans have made to make this league a success. People who get blasé about this have to understand how small our schools’ enrollments are. As Jay Wright has noted many times, the focus on basketball and the atmosphere in all of these buildings is what makes this league special.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 04:04:36 PM »
Would be nice to get perhaps at least a small deal with ESPN to have some games. That way they can promote the Big East more without worrying they are just touting a fox asset

Haha.  I think MU was on more ESPN network (not counting the ACC Network) games last season than Vtech. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 04:09:36 PM »
Great post - I agree 100%.

Looking forward to some exciting MU-UConn games again.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 04:16:24 PM »
Great post - I agree 100%.

Looking forward to some exciting MU-UConn games again.

Looking to attending more "home games" for me!

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 04:20:27 PM »

Agree - couldn't be more excited about this from a local perspective.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 07:27:25 PM »
Agree - couldn't be more excited about this from a local perspective.

8-)

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 08:20:37 PM »

With you, CT.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 09:35:52 PM »
Hearing UConn ticket office is being overworked. They tripled for NEW season ticket holders sales in the past three days.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2019, 11:07:47 PM »
Hearing UConn ticket office is being overworked. They tripled for NEW season ticket holders sales in the past three days.

You know, on first blush, I thought UConn was going to have to drop football to make the finances work, but I think they may come out of this looking like geniuses. This reinvigorates ticket sales, they can put their football games on SNY, travel costs for all sports are significantly lowered, and they can ship their football team to be a buy game for most of the season and just collect paychecks.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 06:04:35 AM »
You know, on first blush, I thought UConn was going to have to drop football to make the finances work, but I think they may come out of this looking like geniuses.

Geniuses? Only in contrast to their foolish decision-making regarding football. UConn has poured hundreds of millions of dollars into a strategy that nobody outside the state saw as viable. They seem to have finally hit bottom, come to their senses and recognized the situation for what it is. That's good -- but hardly genius-level.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 07:57:47 AM »
Geniuses? Only in contrast to their foolish decision-making regarding football. UConn has poured hundreds of millions of dollars into a strategy that nobody outside the state saw as viable. They seem to have finally hit bottom, come to their senses and recognized the situation for what it is. That's good -- but hardly genius-level.

I would agree its hyperbolic to call it genius.  However, its a solid recognition of how things the landscape changed and its the best they can hope for (similar to the rest of the C7). 

I would disagree that the strategy/bet on football was unsound at the time.  It ultimately turned out to be 5 years too late.  UConn had elite bball at the time of the decision and saw that being a basketball only school was going to result in being left out of the major conferences.  As the flagship state school with 30K+ in attendance, they had the look and feel of other schools that got included in the big-boy conferences.  They only needed to replicate IU/Northwestern/Boston College type football success to get consideration.  In the end their position in between the NY & Boston market is the downfall in that they dont really deliver either market (my opinion).  In addition to the football program did not gain enough credibility prior to the split of the Big East. 

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2019, 08:44:45 AM »
Was UConn basketball elite because they cheated or were they good and just happened to get caught?

If the reigns are tightened by their administration and the NCAA, can they get back to what they were, or close to it?

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2019, 08:49:14 AM »

I think this is a key point that was glossed over a bit.

We all have been waiting to see if Football and the P5 conferences go off on their own and who, if anyone, they take with.  The BE was fighting it out with the AAC, Atlantic 10 and other west coast conferences to establish themselves as the next best conference.  The League’s success these past few years has firmly established the BE as the leader of the pack, but bringing UConn in not only fortifies the conference and further separates us from the others, it further weakens our closest conference competitor.

I still think there are some issues with bringing in an institution with a checkered past and one that doesn’t quite fit with the other 10 members overall philosophy, but it was a good strategic move to strengthen the league while simultaneously weakening an “opponent”.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2019, 08:51:58 AM »
The idea that the Big East is in a position to poach rather than be poached is a great point, Herman. One I hadn’t considered amidst the good news of UConn’s return.

It’s amazing how adding one more solid brand like UConn—even if their men’s bb is a down period—makes the conference feel so much stronger. Can’t explain why but it feels like a small void in the conference has been filled.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2019, 04:50:37 PM »
Do you think Xavier would let Cincinnati back in if the asked or is their football program that good it could be invited to the Big XII?

I still don't know how Rutgers managed to get into the B1G.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2019, 05:57:24 PM »
Do you think Xavier would let Cincinnati back in if the asked or is their football program that good it could be invited to the Big XII?

I still don't know how Rutgers managed to get into the B1G.

Cincy blocked X for so long with the BE there's no chance X would vote for them to join. It's similar to BC blocking UConn to the ACC (retribution for the lawsuit when BC left the BE).  Cincy wouldn't want to do that. Their new president spent millions to try and get a B12 invite leading up to 2016 and will continue to fight to go down that road. Football is a major investment for them too that is actually successful, unlike UConn.
https://www.uc.edu/content/dam/uc/president/docs/CaseStatement-Big12.pdf

As for Rutgers: Getting the BTN on local cable TV in NYC and the metro area. Rutgers only got in due to location.

I'm not sure can call the BE a "winner' in a "round" in which they were the only ones playing...unless you're also taking into account UMKC ditching the WAC for the Summit Conference.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 05:59:20 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2019, 06:52:48 PM »
Super proud of our Big East leaders . They drove a hard bargain and got U Conn to agree to a very large exit fee , sliding scale starting at 30 million scaling to 10 bars on years based on years, fully acknowledging potential disruptions . 3.5 million up front prior to press conference .

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-sp-clb-uconn-big-east-contract-20190626-20190626-44voas7itffazjtcnrseuaspeu-story.html
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2019, 08:10:46 PM »
Cincy blocked X for so long with the BE there's no chance X would vote for them to join. It's similar to BC blocking UConn to the ACC (retribution for the lawsuit when BC left the BE).  Cincy wouldn't want to do that. Their new president spent millions to try and get a B12 invite leading up to 2016 and will continue to fight to go down that road. Football is a major investment for them too that is actually successful, unlike UConn.
https://www.uc.edu/content/dam/uc/president/docs/CaseStatement-Big12.pdf

As for Rutgers: Getting the BTN on local cable TV in NYC and the metro area. Rutgers only got in due to location.

I'm not sure can call the BE a "winner' in a "round" in which they were the only ones playing...unless you're also taking into account UMKC ditching the WAC for the Summit Conference.

Chicos answered this one a million times.  There's 10 million people in New Jersey and that's a lot of cable subscribers to increase the Big 10 Network carriage fee (versus say 3.5 million people in Connecticut).  (Of course this was before people started switching to streaming.)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2019, 09:15:46 PM »
Super proud of our Big East leaders . They drove a hard bargain and got U Conn to agree to a very large exit fee , sliding scale starting at 30 million scaling to 10 bars on years based on years, fully acknowledging potential disruptions . 3.5 million up front prior to press conference .

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-sp-clb-uconn-big-east-contract-20190626-20190626-44voas7itffazjtcnrseuaspeu-story.html

Recouping the exit fees we paid UConn last time?

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2019, 10:19:52 PM »
One other tidbit found in the deal. U Conn prohibited from soliciting Power 5 football conferences . Our Bug East guys did a a great job protecting the the league as a whole.

---Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2019, 10:23:58 PM »
Chicos answered this one a million times.  There's 10 million people in New Jersey and that's a lot of cable subscribers to increase the Big 10 Network carriage fee (versus say 3.5 million people in Connecticut).  (Of course this was before people started switching to streaming.)

Don’t forget most people still pay for TV vs streaming, that will be the case for some time.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2019, 10:31:28 PM »
Curious about the details of the P5 ban. Does it list specific conferences? What if two football leagues merged, could they join a new conference that doesn't exist today?

That clause alone could flip my feelings on this deal. Especially if it's for the full 10 years of the buyout.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2019, 10:37:56 PM »
Curious about the details of the P5 ban. Does it list specific conferences? What if two football leagues merged, could they join a new conference that doesn't exist today?

That clause alone could flip my feelings on this deal. Especially if it's for the full 10 years of the buyout.
The agreement specifically outlines the leagues by name. I immediately thought of your concern when reading that.

The preamble in the agreement very clearly lays out the whole instability issue and how much damage it could cause. Very well thought out.

The terms of surrender here are very strong.

We also made them U Conn put the entrance fee up two days in advance of the press conference . Obviously the trust level was quite low.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2019, 07:45:29 PM »
Villanova will have its whole schedule pretty much in place every year. 20 game Big East . 4 Big 5 games, a Gavitt  a Big 12 game and 3 preseason tourney. Not much room for cupcakes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inquirer.com/college-sports/big-east-conference-uconn-connecticut-val-ackerman-announcement-20190627.html%3FoutputType%3Damp
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2019, 07:53:09 PM »
Villanova will have its whole schedule pretty much in place every year. 20 game Big East . 4 Big 5 games, a Gavitt  a Big 12 game and 3 preseason tourney. Not much room for cupcakes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inquirer.com/college-sports/big-east-conference-uconn-connecticut-val-ackerman-announcement-20190627.html%3FoutputType%3Damp

I actually wonder if this might signal the end of the Big 5 as we know it. With the AAC going to 11 after losing UConn and not looking to replace them, they could also go straight to a 20-game round robin, which would mean a similar scheduling crunch for Temple. I could see that being a casualty as those games are really risky to be the guaranteed wins for a team like 'Nova.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2019, 08:11:02 PM »
Rotate with Temple, St. Joe's, LaSalle and Penn. Villanova could play 2 of the 4 each season. I guess it depends how big the Big 5 series really is in 2020.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2019, 09:22:39 PM »
I actually wonder if this might signal the end of the Big 5 as we know it. With the AAC going to 11 after losing UConn and not looking to replace them, they could also go straight to a 20-game round robin, which would mean a similar scheduling crunch for Temple. I could see that being a casualty as those games are really risky to be the guaranteed wins for a team like 'Nova.
The Big 5 is a Philly basketball culture thing that none of those teams want to give up.
                       ---Al McGuire

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2019, 07:36:34 AM »

I think the pre-season tournament only counts as one game against scheduling limits.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2019, 04:20:08 PM »
The Big 5 is a Philly basketball culture thing that none of those teams want to give up.

So?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2019, 04:51:56 PM »
So?
If you ever lived in Philly you would understand what it is all about .
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2019, 06:31:27 AM »
If you ever lived in Philly you would understand what it is all about .

The point isn't whether they want it but if keeping it becomes feasible. When you are playing for a bid, you need wins. Villanova's loss to Penn is a problem, but in the long run Temple's odds of getting an at-large will be just as important. Similarly, the continued existence of the Big 5 will impact the ability to generate revenue due to decreased home games.

I get that they want to keep the Big 5. But between revenue, NCAA bid possibilities, and the simple evolving reality of diminishing non-conference scheduling, it may become a relic of the past that can't be retained.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2019, 07:00:47 AM »
The point isn't whether they want it but if keeping it becomes feasible. When you are playing for a bid, you need wins. Villanova's loss to Penn is a problem, but in the long run Temple's odds of getting an at-large will be just as important. Similarly, the continued existence of the Big 5 will impact the ability to generate revenue due to decreased home games.

I get that they want to keep the Big 5. But between revenue, NCAA bid possibilities, and the simple evolving reality of diminishing non-conference scheduling, it may become a relic of the past that can't be retained.

The Big 5 didn’t have their current and historical format from 91-99.  It was considered a big mark against Rollie Massinino’s legacy.

“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
                       ---Al McGuire

source?

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2019, 11:21:33 PM »
If current BE schools can't hack it, then we are lucky UConn is picking up the slack. I think we'll be just fine.

feedback