collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Road Trip Tips  (Read 7082 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Road Trip Tips
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2019, 12:07:11 PM »
Not sure how prohibitively expensive it would be to add him as a driver, but I'd recommend it.  I've found that when deciding between driving vs flying, choosing driving is where I save real $. So from that point on, its about not being penny wise pound foolish the rest of the way and making the trip as enjoyable as possible.  Buy all the fast food and gas station garbage you want, splurge on satellite radio/audible, add him as a driver so you can take a couple hour breaks in the middle of the day.  At most over a two day trip that all adds up to like $100, and if it saves you needing to stop for a second night, its paid for itself - and you won't want to kill each other.

I probably wasn't clear, but I'm absolutely adding him as a driver.  It's not that bad -- like $27/day.  Initially I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to add him, but later learned that I can do it, but it costs twice the usual extra driver fee.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2019, 12:10:29 PM »
* We pack a cooler with drinks, sandwiches, fruit and also bags of snacks and eat while we drive.  If you sit down and eat somewhere it increases you travel time.

This is the plan.  Definitely will not have any sit-down meals during travel time.  It drives me crazy when even a very "quick" stop adds 10-15 minutes to the arrival time.  I can't stand the 45 minutes (minimum -- often more like 1:15) that comes with an actual sit-down meal.  Even when we take our usual length trips (6-8 hours) we never stop for a sit-down meal.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2019, 12:13:50 PM »
Not to be too personal Stilla but where are you going?  Reason I ask is that west of the Mississippi makes a big difference.  The east is damn crowded and will be more challenging.

Cleveland to Salt Lake City.  A very straight shot across I-80.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2019, 12:17:25 PM »
Why leave at noon?  Morning is great driving time. Don’t waste it.

There are a couple factors that are making it difficult for us to leave earlier that day.  I've progressively pushed our departure time earlier and earlier.  Originally, we were going to leave at 5:00 pm or so and drive 6-8 hours.  This is about as early as we can make it...but maybe as early as 11:00.  I'd like to leave even earlier, but not sure we can pull that off.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2019, 01:40:51 AM »
Google bought Waze and pulled all their best features into Maps. Plus Maps has many features Waze doesn't. Use Maps.

Lol. So true. I love the folks who say I stopped Facebook and am only doing Instagram.  Um, okay.  Meet Big Tech!

Btw, folks forget QuatroPro bought Scoop.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2019, 06:13:01 AM »
Has Google Maps incorporated Waze's heart attack prevention feature?  I found little difference between the two in turns of navigation, but Waze's warnings of cops ahead is my favorite and I don't really speed (that much).  Just 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2019, 07:43:49 AM »
Has Google Maps incorporated Waze's heart attack prevention feature?  I found little difference between the two in turns of navigation, but Waze's warnings of cops ahead is my favorite and I don't really speed (that much).  Just

I was wondering the same thing.  As far as I'm concerned, this is Waze's best feature.  And I don't really speed too much either.  I tend to set cruise control at a speed that usually won't draw unwanted attention...8-9 mph above the limit.  That said, the "usually" in the preceding sentence is why I like Waze.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2019, 07:55:18 AM »
Indeed, Waze still "wins" on the social reporting aspect of traffic.   Reports of police, road debris, ice, reports of crashes that include "crash is in left lane, left two lanes are moving OK."

GMaps should have a "layer" that includes all that stuff, since they own the data.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2019, 08:02:09 AM »

So about Des Moines night one?  Unfortunately, your timing past Chicago will kind of suck.  If that's the plan one more night about Cheyenne or Laramie.  There isn't much past that and you eventually need a place to stay anyways.  Safe trip.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2019, 08:42:29 AM »
So about Des Moines night one?  Unfortunately, your timing past Chicago will kind of suck.  If that's the plan one more night about Cheyenne or Laramie.  There isn't much past that and you eventually need a place to stay anyways.  Safe trip.

Des Moines is the plan.  I was hoping that I-80 would keep me far enough south to avoid much of the Chicago rush.  Is that not the case?   For night two, we're thinking either Rock Springs WY (or thereabouts) or just driving on to SLC that night.  If we can leave by 7:00, we should be able to make Rock Springs by roughly 6:00 or 7:00, or SLC by 10:00 or 11:00.  A long day, though.

One of our goals in this trip is to finish the bulk of the move-in and shopping on the first day in SLC ("day three" of the trip) so we can just kind of relax for two days (Park City, Great Salt Lake, etc.) before we both have to hop on airplanes and fly back East.  That's motivating us to push on day two get closer to SLC.  If we could get all the way there on day two (or within 2-3 hours) that would be great.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 08:47:41 AM by StillAWarrior »

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2019, 09:33:57 AM »
Indeed, Waze still "wins" on the social reporting aspect of traffic.   Reports of police, road debris, ice, reports of crashes that include "crash is in left lane, left two lanes are moving OK."

GMaps should have a "layer" that includes all that stuff, since they own the data.

As a Waze evangelist & beta tester who has been using Waze for about 10 years I felt I should try Google Maps agai to see if everything the GMaps people say is true. I use the apps via Android Auto and an in dash display in vehicle in case anyone is wondering about functionality.

So, yes it's true that GMaps does now show where a speed camera is on my drive home but they do not give you any sort of alert that it's coming up. To meal this is a deal breaker. When driving I'm not staring at my screen (thankfully) so the quick popup on the screen of "Police .5 miles ahead" is fantastic.

As for choosing routes, i don't mind clicking the screen quick to bring up route alternatives. Also, in the latest beta for Android you can just ask Google to show you route options and it will pop them up.

The one feature I wish Waze would have that G Maps does have is telling you which lane to be in when doing interchange or multiple turn items. I will admit when I am driving in a new city or country during heavy I switch to G Maps just for that feature.

That's my 2 cent review. For long road trips I would always go Waze as it still has the faster features when it comes to updating your route (crashes, traffic, police). And yes, G Maps has started to incorporate some of Wazes features over the 6 years it's owned them (using the sourced traffic data, etc) it still is just not the same.

Again, this is why we have options so everyone can use what they like best.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2019, 12:03:59 PM »
We would drive from Chicago to Tampa multiple times a year which was about 18-20 hours.

Before we got older and drove straight though we would only make one stop and we would always go more than halfway usually stopping in Chattanooga.

Honestly, by day two you won’t wanna stop again and just get it done.

Chattanooga is a beautiful city.  Mountains, river, awesome aquarium. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2019, 12:22:52 PM »
Des Moines is the plan.  I was hoping that I-80 would keep me far enough south to avoid much of the Chicago rush.  Is that not the case?   For night two, we're thinking either Rock Springs WY (or thereabouts) or just driving on to SLC that night.  If we can leave by 7:00, we should be able to make Rock Springs by roughly 6:00 or 7:00, or SLC by 10:00 or 11:00.  A long day, though.

One of our goals in this trip is to finish the bulk of the move-in and shopping on the first day in SLC ("day three" of the trip) so we can just kind of relax for two days (Park City, Great Salt Lake, etc.) before we both have to hop on airplanes and fly back East.  That's motivating us to push on day two get closer to SLC.  If we could get all the way there on day two (or within 2-3 hours) that would be great.

The Indiana/Illinois border of 80/94 is always a mess with semi's and the convergence of traffic from 65/80/94. You're far enough south to avoid Chicago, but that'll probably be the messiest of spots on your route west.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2019, 10:57:17 PM »

Ah, I've actually done most of that drive. I went to grad school in Michigan and my summer internship was in Salt Lake City. Drove the whole way myself in 2 days. A few tidbits

Nebraska is a wasteland

Laramie is a cool college town...to visit for like an hour. Found a decent place to eat there.

There's a stretch near the Wyoming/Nebraska border where you go up into the foothills. Depending on the weather, this stretch can be a little freaky. I hit the thickest patch of fog that I've ever had to drive through on the way to SLC. Traffic slowed to like 25 mph because you couldn't see anything and it felt like you were going to drive off a cliff. On the way back there was no fog and I felt a bit sheepish because it wasn't nearly as steep as I thought it was

Once you get past Cheyenne, Wyoming is a wasteland...though a prettier one than Nebraska

You're lucky you have another person with you. Make sure you find something to do. I was playing car games against myself to fight the boredom

Salt Lake City was probably my favorite place that I ever lived. Natural beauty every where you turn. People are some of the nicest you will ever meet too.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2019, 10:08:18 AM »
Ah, I've actually done most of that drive. I went to grad school in Michigan and my summer internship was in Salt Lake City. Drove the whole way myself in 2 days. A few tidbits

Nebraska is a wasteland

Laramie is a cool college town...to visit for like an hour. Found a decent place to eat there.

There's a stretch near the Wyoming/Nebraska border where you go up into the foothills. Depending on the weather, this stretch can be a little freaky. I hit the thickest patch of fog that I've ever had to drive through on the way to SLC. Traffic slowed to like 25 mph because you couldn't see anything and it felt like you were going to drive off a cliff. On the way back there was no fog and I felt a bit sheepish because it wasn't nearly as steep as I thought it was

Once you get past Cheyenne, Wyoming is a wasteland...though a prettier one than Nebraska

You're lucky you have another person with you. Make sure you find something to do. I was playing car games against myself to fight the boredom

Salt Lake City was probably my favorite place that I ever lived. Natural beauty every where you turn. People are some of the nicest you will ever meet too.

True, but 10x better than Kansas.

The Indiana/Illinois border of 80/94 is always a mess with semi's and the convergence of traffic from 65/80/94. You're far enough south to avoid Chicago, but that'll probably be the messiest of spots on your route west.

Like Dish said. Once you clear the bottom of the Dan Ryan you'll be okay.  The Indiana/Illinois border area will be bad.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2019, 11:13:30 AM »
I do a lot of long distance driving and recommend the following tips:
Have a safety kit in the car.  A little $15 fire extinguisher as well.  Chances of using it are 0.0001%... but I HAVE had to use it once, and it saved the car and everything in it.
Check the spare tire pressure- the rental company sure as heck won't.  I actually travel with a patch kit and an air pump.  It's much faster to patch a tire and pump it up than to change it. 
Don't pre-book hotels... because you don't know how you're going to feel.  if you get tired, stop at the next city and find something.  If not, press on.  (the one time this didn't work is when driving from Chicago to San Francisco I had roughly planned to stay the last night in Reno.. I started calling Reno hotels from Elko, and then again when I got signal in Winnemucca... nothing available.  decided to drive the rest of the way that night, which was - in retrospect, a mistake)
Take a short brake or change drivers every 2-3 hours.  (5 minutes to stretch)
Sleep when you're not driving.  Even a short nap extends your alertness for the next stint.
Eat fruits and veggies and nuts.  Fast food and junk food make you tired. 
A workout is a great way to break up the trip.  On one cross country trip I planned noon stops at YMCA's for hoops each day.
Fill up when the tank hits half (ok this one is from doing 10-20 hour trips in India, China, Ghana, etc. because you never know when you'll find fuel next)
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2019, 11:40:53 AM »
I do a lot of long distance driving and recommend the following tips:

Don't pre-book hotels... because you don't know how you're going to feel.  if you get tired, stop at the next city and find something.  If not, press on.  (the one time this didn't work is when driving from Chicago to San Francisco I had roughly planned to stay the last night in Reno.. I started calling Reno hotels from Elko, and then again when I got signal in Winnemucca... nothing available.  decided to drive the rest of the way that night, which was - in retrospect, a mistake)

All good points - but he needs to heed your warning on this on. It can be very hard to find a room along the Interstate in summer. Especially if arriving late in the day. At worst, you can make reservations as you are driving midday when you have an idea where you will be stopping.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2019, 11:42:16 AM »
Audio books that interest you both

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2019, 11:46:49 AM »
True, but 10x better than Kansas.

Like Dish said. Once you clear the bottom of the Dan Ryan you'll be okay.  The Indiana/Illinois border area will be bad.
I grew up in Nebraska and would like to nominate the below phrase for new state slogan:

"Nebraska.  A wasteland...but 10x better than Kansas!"

If selected, I will give you all the credit.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2019, 12:14:37 PM »
I grew up in Nebraska and would like to nominate the below phrase for new state slogan:

I have to go to Nebraska for the first time on Monday for a one night trip to visit a customer.  At least everything will be green, right?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2019, 12:15:21 PM »

Their new state tourism slogan is “Honestly, it’s not for everyone”.

For real.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2019, 01:53:47 PM »
I have to go to Nebraska for the first time on Monday for a one night trip to visit a customer.  At least everything will be green, right?
Should be...But the floods there were no joke.  The town of 25,000 where I grew up was shut off from the outside world for well over a week due to flooding/impassable roads.  Where are you going?  I haven't lived there in close to 30 years but have been back a bunch of times and might be able to make some recommendations on restaurants, etc in Omaha if that's where you'll be.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2019, 02:56:38 PM »

Honestly, the drive across Nebraska isn't bad.  Following the river seems to help.  Although what the hell is with that bridge/museum thingy?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2019, 04:30:15 PM »

Green?  Try amber waves of grain, yo.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2019, 09:30:10 AM »
Lots of good stuff in here.  Thanks, everyone.