[Today at 03:51:01 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 12:09:25 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Road Trip Tips  (Read 7136 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Road Trip Tips
« on: June 24, 2019, 09:37:20 AM »
In about a week, my son and I are embarking on a road trip of 1700+ miles.  According to google maps, it's about 26 hours.  I've never driven this far (probably topped out at about 8-10 hours), and am looking for any tips people have.

Unfortunately, we're primarily focused on getting from point A to point B pretty quickly.  We're planning on doing it in 2 or 2.5 days.  As much as I'd like to do the same trip over the span of a week with lots of stops and sightseeing along they way, we just don't have the time.  We've got a hotel for the first night about 10 hours from home, but no hotel for the second night.  We'll either find one or potentially push a really long day and get to our destination.

So, tips or information appreciated.  I'm specifically curious about what realistically we can expect when google maps says...say 10 hours...on generally highway driving.  Obviously (I think), they don't factor in fuel stops, leg stretching, meals, etc.  I'm curious whether traveling 10 mph or so over the speed limit generally cancels out minimal stops over that distance.  I know that on apps like Waze (which I use) they've gotten pretty good at factoring in typical driving speeds (even if above the speed limit).
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Road Trip Tips
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 09:46:16 AM »
We would drive from Chicago to Tampa multiple times a year which was about 18-20 hours.

Before we got older and drove straight though we would only make one stop and we would always go more than halfway usually stopping in Chattanooga.

Honestly, by day two you won’t wanna stop again and just get it done.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 09:47:05 AM »

I'm specifically curious about what realistically we can expect when google maps says...say 10 hours...on generally highway driving. 

Last year I did a drive that google maps said was 13.5 hours and it took 16 hours with very young children.  Probably would have been pretty accurate without the frequent food and bathroom stops.  I generally drive 5-10MPH over speed limit.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 09:47:47 AM »
Get and use Waze as your guide. They show speed traps (cops hidden), cameras, etc. plus update your trip based upon traffic conditions.

But I like to throw handfuls...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 10:00:35 AM »

'Nuff said

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 10:02:53 AM »
Get and use Waze as your guide. They show speed traps (cops hidden), cameras, etc. plus update your trip based upon traffic conditions.

I've been a big fan of Waze for years and pretty much always use it if I'm driving anywhere outside of town -- for both GPS and warnings about police.  I'm assuming that I'll have cell reception for most of the trip since I'll be on a major interstate.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 10:07:33 AM »

'Nuff said

Music/entertainment will be interesting.  We definitely have different tastes in music.  Also, we're going to be in a rental.  I'm considering springing for the satellite radio for the two long days we'll be driving.  It's only $8/day.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 10:16:33 AM »
Music/entertainment will be interesting.  We definitely have different tastes in music.  Also, we're going to be in a rental.  I'm considering springing for the satellite radio for the two long days we'll be driving.  It's only $8/day.

TOTALLY worth $8/day. Unless you can agree on plowing through a podcast.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 10:20:53 AM »
My best road trip tip is...just fly

Understand how some people like it, but it sounds like a nightmare to me.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 10:21:46 AM »
So, tips or information appreciated. 
Fly

Edit - I see JWags beat me to it.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 10:22:29 AM »
TOTALLY worth $8/day. Unless you can agree on plowing through a podcast.

I listen to a lot of podcasts.  This would be my preference, but I'm not sure he'd agree.  I think I'll probably pay the $8/day.

After using every money-saving trip I could figure out, I've got the price of the rental down to a reasonable amount.  I hate to add to it, but I think it's definitely going to be worth it.  We're also going to add to it by putting him on as an extra driver, but I think that's also necessary.  Unfortunately, because he's only 22, it's more than usual to add him as a driver.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 10:23:40 AM »
My best road trip tip is...just fly

Understand how some people like it, but it sounds like a nightmare to me.

Two reasons we're not flying:  1) we're moving him there and have a bunch of stuff to take; and 2) we're kind of looking forward to it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 10:27:36 AM »
Depends

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 10:33:20 AM »
Depends

My bladder can generally outlast a car's range on a single tank.  That should help. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 10:37:09 AM »
ZFB keeps an old Mountain Dew 2-liter in his whip and pees in there to save time. He also has diapers on deck if the deuce is gonna get loose.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2019, 10:52:15 AM »
ZFB keeps an old Mountain Dew 2-liter in his whip and pees in there to save time. He also has diapers on deck if the deuce is gonna get loose.

My old boss had a 2nd home in FL and used to brag about not stopping much when driving there because he kept a pee-can in his Cadillac.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2019, 10:53:08 AM »
We are frequent road trippers from Connecticut. 
Like ChitownSpace I've driven to Florida a dozen times and will do again this summer.  (18 hr drive to Orlando, 1.5 hrs shorter to Daytona or St. Augustine).
Myrtle Beach (13 hrs a half dozen times)
Milwaukee (15 hrs, three times including one roundabout via Cincinnati, Louisville, St. Louis)

* We leave 5:00/5:30 in the morning and are at our destination the same day.  Florida arrival is 10:30-midnight but you are at least there.
* Don't do the overnight driving thing.  You're body is not used to driving at that time, so don't and you'll be wrecked the next day if you do.
* We switch off driving every 1.5/2 hours to keep fresh and alert.
* We pack a cooler with drinks, sandwiches, fruit and also bags of snacks and eat while we drive.  If you sit down and eat somewhere it increases you travel time.
* We tend to drive 9 mph over the speed limit on cruise control.  Seems to be the flow of traffic anywhere and everywhere. 
* Google maps is pretty accurate on drive times.  Going over the speed time cuts into the estimated Google time, but the length of your pitstops will increase the total drive times.     
* I have used Waze too which does alert you of police activity and accidents.
* I also check the Google maps which gives you a wider view traffic report.
* When going North to South, you are in the clear when you get past Richmond.  There is nothing between there and Jacksonville except annoying South of the Border and JR Cigar outlet signs.
* Because we drove we have visited places we would not have been able to make time for a special trip to fly there.

* I believe I've mentioned this here before.  We've been pulled over only once.  Sheriff Roscoe somewhere near Wilson, NC pulled us over because my Marquette license plate frame covered up the top half of the words CONNECTICUT on the plate.  He wanted to let us know that we should remove ASAP because if my car was stolen in the great state of North Carolina it would be harder for the police to identify the plate.  Thank you very little for the public service announcement that cost me another 1/2 hour in the car on the way to Florida. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:57:25 AM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2019, 10:58:18 AM »
I listen to a lot of podcasts.  This would be my preference, but I'm not sure he'd agree.  I think I'll probably pay the $8/day.

After using every money-saving trip I could figure out, I've got the price of the rental down to a reasonable amount.  I hate to add to it, but I think it's definitely going to be worth it.  We're also going to add to it by putting him on as an extra driver, but I think that's also necessary.  Unfortunately, because he's only 22, it's more than usual to add him as a driver.

Not sure how prohibitively expensive it would be to add him as a driver, but I'd recommend it.  I've found that when deciding between driving vs flying, choosing driving is where I save real $. So from that point on, its about not being penny wise pound foolish the rest of the way and making the trip as enjoyable as possible.  Buy all the fast food and gas station garbage you want, splurge on satellite radio/audible, add him as a driver so you can take a couple hour breaks in the middle of the day.  At most over a two day trip that all adds up to like $100, and if it saves you needing to stop for a second night, its paid for itself - and you won't want to kill each other.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2019, 11:24:04 AM »
MUConn has it about right.  I've done a good amount of long distance by myself (and will be again in about 3 weeks) and have driven with my son to Seattle.  The latter was far easier.  That was 2000+ and we did it in essentially 3 driving days.  The second day we did 'a little' sightseeing but still accomplished 500 miles.

- Agree with the early start every day.  7a is a 'late' start.
- Trade off every 2-3 hours.
- No overnight driving.
- Cheap Hotwire motel some reasonable distance up road.  Book from the car an hour or two out.

There's 2 ways to do evening driving for me.  One can stop for a reasonable dinner break (say 30+ minutes off the road) and then bite off another 2-4 hours driving prior to pulling into a motel to sleep.  Alternatively, one can push through in the early evening but get off the road in time for a dinner at your motel location.  I much prefer the second, especially when alone.  It doesn't have to be a Baatan death march.  Frankly, it does get unsafe at a point by one's self.

The max I have ever done alone was 900 in a day.  That exact same route/distance was pretty manageable for 2 of us together starting at 5a.  For 2 days back to back alone, 1500-1600 would be about my absolute top end.  And that simply has to be in light traffic so focused concentration is minimized.

Good luck and safe travels. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 11:33:51 AM by jsglow »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2019, 11:24:40 AM »
I used to swear by Waze and used it extensively .. but have switched to Google Maps (who own Waze.) 

In theory, GMaps use the same data Waze is using, so the data should be the same.  I like Google Maps better mainly for one reason .. if you're ever in a traffic jam, both products will suggest other routes .. but GMaps will say "X minutes faster" on the alternate.

If X is just a few minutes .. you can forget it and stay on the freeway.  Waze won't give that info (or at least it didn't 4 months ago, when I switched.) 

Waze does give other data like you can scroll a few miles ahead to see if there are other Wazers, and how fast they are going.  Admittedly, that's nice too.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2019, 11:24:40 AM »
For the rental car, I'm assuming you have rented a specific type of vehicle (especially if you're moving stuff), but my suggestion is keep a $20 on you, if there's a different vehicle on the lot you like (bigger/more comfortable/better gas mileage), go back to the counter, give the guy/gal the $20 and tell them you'd like another vehicle. When I travel with my wife/kids, generally have to get a minivan, and that works every time.

I agree that the 5am leave time is best, hopefully beat metro traffic, and you get to utilize as much daylight as possible.

100% on getting Sirius/XM, totally worth it.

If you are set on just getting fast food, try getting regional places you can't get at home (example, if you're in the South, get Krystal since they only have locations in the South).

The summer roadtrip still holds as a thing for me, having made some drives the last few years (Salt Lake to Montana, Phoenix to Vegas, San Fran to Tahoe), there are some awesome things out there you can see without even getting out of your car. Given, those examples are all out west, but the landscape of America really is something to be hold and under appreciated.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2019, 11:37:08 AM »
Not to be too personal Stilla but where are you going?  Reason I ask is that west of the Mississippi makes a big difference.  The east is damn crowded and will be more challenging.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2019, 11:44:29 AM »
Google bought Waze and pulled all their best features into Maps. Plus Maps has many features Waze doesn't. Use Maps.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2019, 12:04:54 PM »
We are frequent road trippers from Connecticut. 
Like ChitownSpace I've driven to Florida a dozen times and will do again this summer.  (18 hr drive to Orlando, 1.5 hrs shorter to Daytona or St. Augustine).
Myrtle Beach (13 hrs a half dozen times)
Milwaukee (15 hrs, three times including one roundabout via Cincinnati, Louisville, St. Louis)

* We leave 5:00/5:30 in the morning and are at our destination the same day.  Florida arrival is 10:30-midnight but you are at least there.
* Don't do the overnight driving thing.  You're body is not used to driving at that time, so don't and you'll be wrecked the next day if you do.
* We switch off driving every 1.5/2 hours to keep fresh and alert.
* We pack a cooler with drinks, sandwiches, fruit and also bags of snacks and eat while we drive.  If you sit down and eat somewhere it increases you travel time.
* We tend to drive 9 mph over the speed limit on cruise control.  Seems to be the flow of traffic anywhere and everywhere. 
* Google maps is pretty accurate on drive times.  Going over the speed time cuts into the estimated Google time, but the length of your pitstops will increase the total drive times.     
* I have used Waze too which does alert you of police activity and accidents.
* I also check the Google maps which gives you a wider view traffic report.
* When going North to South, you are in the clear when you get past Richmond.  There is nothing between there and Jacksonville except annoying South of the Border and JR Cigar outlet signs.
* Because we drove we have visited places we would not have been able to make time for a special trip to fly there.

* I believe I've mentioned this here before.  We've been pulled over only once.  Sheriff Roscoe somewhere near Wilson, NC pulled us over because my Marquette license plate frame covered up the top half of the words CONNECTICUT on the plate.  He wanted to let us know that we should remove ASAP because if my car was stolen in the great state of North Carolina it would be harder for the police to identify the plate.  Thank you very little for the public service announcement that cost me another 1/2 hour in the car on the way to Florida.

Thanks.  Some good tips here.

I have specifically planned to avoid and/or minimize driving at night.  The first day we're leaving at about noon and driving approximately 10 hours.  Because of time change, I would think that we should be reaching our hotel by 10:00 or so.  Maybe even before dark.  Then, I plan to get up pretty early the next day and get on the road.  We'll either stop about 3 hours short of SLC (which should be mid-evening) or power through (which would probably get us there around midnight).  Either way, very little night-time driving.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2019, 12:06:10 PM »
Why leave at noon?  Morning is great driving time. Don’t waste it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2019, 12:07:11 PM »
Not sure how prohibitively expensive it would be to add him as a driver, but I'd recommend it.  I've found that when deciding between driving vs flying, choosing driving is where I save real $. So from that point on, its about not being penny wise pound foolish the rest of the way and making the trip as enjoyable as possible.  Buy all the fast food and gas station garbage you want, splurge on satellite radio/audible, add him as a driver so you can take a couple hour breaks in the middle of the day.  At most over a two day trip that all adds up to like $100, and if it saves you needing to stop for a second night, its paid for itself - and you won't want to kill each other.

I probably wasn't clear, but I'm absolutely adding him as a driver.  It's not that bad -- like $27/day.  Initially I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to add him, but later learned that I can do it, but it costs twice the usual extra driver fee.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2019, 12:10:29 PM »

This is the plan.  Definitely will not have any sit-down meals during travel time.  It drives me crazy when even a very "quick" stop adds 10-15 minutes to the arrival time.  I can't stand the 45 minutes (minimum -- often more like 1:15) that comes with an actual sit-down meal.  Even when we take our usual length trips (6-8 hours) we never stop for a sit-down meal.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2019, 12:13:50 PM »
Not to be too personal Stilla but where are you going?  Reason I ask is that west of the Mississippi makes a big difference.  The east is damn crowded and will be more challenging.

Cleveland to Salt Lake City.  A very straight shot across I-80.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2019, 12:17:25 PM »
Why leave at noon?  Morning is great driving time. Don’t waste it.

There are a couple factors that are making it difficult for us to leave earlier that day.  I've progressively pushed our departure time earlier and earlier.  Originally, we were going to leave at 5:00 pm or so and drive 6-8 hours.  This is about as early as we can make it...but maybe as early as 11:00.  I'd like to leave even earlier, but not sure we can pull that off.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2019, 01:40:51 AM »
Google bought Waze and pulled all their best features into Maps. Plus Maps has many features Waze doesn't. Use Maps.

Lol. So true. I love the folks who say I stopped Facebook and am only doing Instagram.  Um, okay.  Meet Big Tech!

Btw, folks forget QuatroPro bought Scoop.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2019, 06:13:01 AM »
Has Google Maps incorporated Waze's heart attack prevention feature?  I found little difference between the two in turns of navigation, but Waze's warnings of cops ahead is my favorite and I don't really speed (that much).  Just 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2019, 07:43:49 AM »
Has Google Maps incorporated Waze's heart attack prevention feature?  I found little difference between the two in turns of navigation, but Waze's warnings of cops ahead is my favorite and I don't really speed (that much).  Just

I was wondering the same thing.  As far as I'm concerned, this is Waze's best feature.  And I don't really speed too much either.  I tend to set cruise control at a speed that usually won't draw unwanted attention...8-9 mph above the limit.  That said, the "usually" in the preceding sentence is why I like Waze.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2019, 07:55:18 AM »
Indeed, Waze still "wins" on the social reporting aspect of traffic.   Reports of police, road debris, ice, reports of crashes that include "crash is in left lane, left two lanes are moving OK."

GMaps should have a "layer" that includes all that stuff, since they own the data.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2019, 08:02:09 AM »

So about Des Moines night one?  Unfortunately, your timing past Chicago will kind of suck.  If that's the plan one more night about Cheyenne or Laramie.  There isn't much past that and you eventually need a place to stay anyways.  Safe trip.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2019, 08:42:29 AM »
So about Des Moines night one?  Unfortunately, your timing past Chicago will kind of suck.  If that's the plan one more night about Cheyenne or Laramie.  There isn't much past that and you eventually need a place to stay anyways.  Safe trip.

Des Moines is the plan.  I was hoping that I-80 would keep me far enough south to avoid much of the Chicago rush.  Is that not the case?   For night two, we're thinking either Rock Springs WY (or thereabouts) or just driving on to SLC that night.  If we can leave by 7:00, we should be able to make Rock Springs by roughly 6:00 or 7:00, or SLC by 10:00 or 11:00.  A long day, though.

One of our goals in this trip is to finish the bulk of the move-in and shopping on the first day in SLC ("day three" of the trip) so we can just kind of relax for two days (Park City, Great Salt Lake, etc.) before we both have to hop on airplanes and fly back East.  That's motivating us to push on day two get closer to SLC.  If we could get all the way there on day two (or within 2-3 hours) that would be great.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 08:47:41 AM by StillAWarrior »

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2019, 09:33:57 AM »
Indeed, Waze still "wins" on the social reporting aspect of traffic.   Reports of police, road debris, ice, reports of crashes that include "crash is in left lane, left two lanes are moving OK."

GMaps should have a "layer" that includes all that stuff, since they own the data.

As a Waze evangelist & beta tester who has been using Waze for about 10 years I felt I should try Google Maps agai to see if everything the GMaps people say is true. I use the apps via Android Auto and an in dash display in vehicle in case anyone is wondering about functionality.

So, yes it's true that GMaps does now show where a speed camera is on my drive home but they do not give you any sort of alert that it's coming up. To meal this is a deal breaker. When driving I'm not staring at my screen (thankfully) so the quick popup on the screen of "Police .5 miles ahead" is fantastic.

As for choosing routes, i don't mind clicking the screen quick to bring up route alternatives. Also, in the latest beta for Android you can just ask Google to show you route options and it will pop them up.

The one feature I wish Waze would have that G Maps does have is telling you which lane to be in when doing interchange or multiple turn items. I will admit when I am driving in a new city or country during heavy I switch to G Maps just for that feature.

That's my 2 cent review. For long road trips I would always go Waze as it still has the faster features when it comes to updating your route (crashes, traffic, police). And yes, G Maps has started to incorporate some of Wazes features over the 6 years it's owned them (using the sourced traffic data, etc) it still is just not the same.

Again, this is why we have options so everyone can use what they like best.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2019, 12:03:59 PM »
We would drive from Chicago to Tampa multiple times a year which was about 18-20 hours.

Before we got older and drove straight though we would only make one stop and we would always go more than halfway usually stopping in Chattanooga.

Chattanooga is a beautiful city.  Mountains, river, awesome aquarium. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2019, 12:22:52 PM »
Des Moines is the plan.  I was hoping that I-80 would keep me far enough south to avoid much of the Chicago rush.  Is that not the case?   For night two, we're thinking either Rock Springs WY (or thereabouts) or just driving on to SLC that night.  If we can leave by 7:00, we should be able to make Rock Springs by roughly 6:00 or 7:00, or SLC by 10:00 or 11:00.  A long day, though.

One of our goals in this trip is to finish the bulk of the move-in and shopping on the first day in SLC ("day three" of the trip) so we can just kind of relax for two days (Park City, Great Salt Lake, etc.) before we both have to hop on airplanes and fly back East.  That's motivating us to push on day two get closer to SLC.  If we could get all the way there on day two (or within 2-3 hours) that would be great.

The Indiana/Illinois border of 80/94 is always a mess with semi's and the convergence of traffic from 65/80/94. You're far enough south to avoid Chicago, but that'll probably be the messiest of spots on your route west.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2019, 10:57:17 PM »

Ah, I've actually done most of that drive. I went to grad school in Michigan and my summer internship was in Salt Lake City. Drove the whole way myself in 2 days. A few tidbits

Nebraska is a wasteland

Laramie is a cool college town...to visit for like an hour. Found a decent place to eat there.

There's a stretch near the Wyoming/Nebraska border where you go up into the foothills. Depending on the weather, this stretch can be a little freaky. I hit the thickest patch of fog that I've ever had to drive through on the way to SLC. Traffic slowed to like 25 mph because you couldn't see anything and it felt like you were going to drive off a cliff. On the way back there was no fog and I felt a bit sheepish because it wasn't nearly as steep as I thought it was

Once you get past Cheyenne, Wyoming is a wasteland...though a prettier one than Nebraska

You're lucky you have another person with you. Make sure you find something to do. I was playing car games against myself to fight the boredom

Salt Lake City was probably my favorite place that I ever lived. Natural beauty every where you turn. People are some of the nicest you will ever meet too.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2019, 10:08:18 AM »
Ah, I've actually done most of that drive. I went to grad school in Michigan and my summer internship was in Salt Lake City. Drove the whole way myself in 2 days. A few tidbits

Nebraska is a wasteland

Laramie is a cool college town...to visit for like an hour. Found a decent place to eat there.

There's a stretch near the Wyoming/Nebraska border where you go up into the foothills. Depending on the weather, this stretch can be a little freaky. I hit the thickest patch of fog that I've ever had to drive through on the way to SLC. Traffic slowed to like 25 mph because you couldn't see anything and it felt like you were going to drive off a cliff. On the way back there was no fog and I felt a bit sheepish because it wasn't nearly as steep as I thought it was

Once you get past Cheyenne, Wyoming is a wasteland...though a prettier one than Nebraska

You're lucky you have another person with you. Make sure you find something to do. I was playing car games against myself to fight the boredom

Salt Lake City was probably my favorite place that I ever lived. Natural beauty every where you turn. People are some of the nicest you will ever meet too.

True, but 10x better than Kansas.

The Indiana/Illinois border of 80/94 is always a mess with semi's and the convergence of traffic from 65/80/94. You're far enough south to avoid Chicago, but that'll probably be the messiest of spots on your route west.

Like Dish said. Once you clear the bottom of the Dan Ryan you'll be okay.  The Indiana/Illinois border area will be bad.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2019, 11:13:30 AM »
I do a lot of long distance driving and recommend the following tips:
Have a safety kit in the car.  A little $15 fire extinguisher as well.  Chances of using it are 0.0001%... but I HAVE had to use it once, and it saved the car and everything in it.
Check the spare tire pressure- the rental company sure as heck won't.  I actually travel with a patch kit and an air pump.  It's much faster to patch a tire and pump it up than to change it. 
Don't pre-book hotels... because you don't know how you're going to feel.  if you get tired, stop at the next city and find something.  If not, press on.  (the one time this didn't work is when driving from Chicago to San Francisco I had roughly planned to stay the last night in Reno.. I started calling Reno hotels from Elko, and then again when I got signal in Winnemucca... nothing available.  decided to drive the rest of the way that night, which was - in retrospect, a mistake)
Take a short brake or change drivers every 2-3 hours.  (5 minutes to stretch)
Sleep when you're not driving.  Even a short nap extends your alertness for the next stint.
Eat fruits and veggies and nuts.  Fast food and junk food make you tired. 
A workout is a great way to break up the trip.  On one cross country trip I planned noon stops at YMCA's for hoops each day.
Fill up when the tank hits half (ok this one is from doing 10-20 hour trips in India, China, Ghana, etc. because you never know when you'll find fuel next)
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2019, 11:40:53 AM »
I do a lot of long distance driving and recommend the following tips:

Don't pre-book hotels... because you don't know how you're going to feel.  if you get tired, stop at the next city and find something.  If not, press on.  (the one time this didn't work is when driving from Chicago to San Francisco I had roughly planned to stay the last night in Reno.. I started calling Reno hotels from Elko, and then again when I got signal in Winnemucca... nothing available.  decided to drive the rest of the way that night, which was - in retrospect, a mistake)

All good points - but he needs to heed your warning on this on. It can be very hard to find a room along the Interstate in summer. Especially if arriving late in the day. At worst, you can make reservations as you are driving midday when you have an idea where you will be stopping.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2019, 11:42:16 AM »
Audio books that interest you both

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2019, 11:46:49 AM »
True, but 10x better than Kansas.

Like Dish said. Once you clear the bottom of the Dan Ryan you'll be okay.  The Indiana/Illinois border area will be bad.
I grew up in Nebraska and would like to nominate the below phrase for new state slogan:

"Nebraska.  A wasteland...but 10x better than Kansas!"

If selected, I will give you all the credit.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2019, 12:14:37 PM »
I grew up in Nebraska and would like to nominate the below phrase for new state slogan:

I have to go to Nebraska for the first time on Monday for a one night trip to visit a customer.  At least everything will be green, right?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2019, 12:15:21 PM »

Their new state tourism slogan is “Honestly, it’s not for everyone”.

For real.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2019, 01:53:47 PM »
I have to go to Nebraska for the first time on Monday for a one night trip to visit a customer.  At least everything will be green, right?
Should be...But the floods there were no joke.  The town of 25,000 where I grew up was shut off from the outside world for well over a week due to flooding/impassable roads.  Where are you going?  I haven't lived there in close to 30 years but have been back a bunch of times and might be able to make some recommendations on restaurants, etc in Omaha if that's where you'll be.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2019, 02:56:38 PM »

Honestly, the drive across Nebraska isn't bad.  Following the river seems to help.  Although what the hell is with that bridge/museum thingy?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2019, 04:30:15 PM »

Green?  Try amber waves of grain, yo.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2019, 09:30:10 AM »
Lots of good stuff in here.  Thanks, everyone.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2019, 10:55:13 PM »
Got an earlier start than expected - 11:00 a.m. - and went ahead and pushed through to Lincoln. Leaving at 5:00, so if all goes well we’ll be in SLC in time for dinner and a well-deserved beer.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2019, 12:14:12 PM »
Got an earlier start than expected - 11:00 a.m. - and went ahead and pushed through to Lincoln. Leaving at 5:00, so if all goes well we’ll be in SLC in time for dinner and a well-deserved beer.

I just missed you and left Lincoln, NE on a 5:20 flight on Tuesday after arriving very late the night before.  If you stayed at the Hampton Inn that would be strangely coincidental.
You just can't get there from here from Connecticut.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2019, 12:20:07 PM »
If you stayed at the Hampton Inn that would be strangely coincidental.

If you’re referring to the airport Hampton, well...that’s strangely coincidental. If you stayed in room 405 on Monday night at the Lincoln, NE airport Hampton, that would be downright freaky.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2019, 12:23:03 PM »
If you’re referring to the airport Hampton, well...that’s strangely coincidental. If you stayed in room 405 on Monday night at the Lincoln, NE airport Hampton, that would be downright freaky.

StillaWarrior,

I stayed in Room 406 and my co-worker was in Room 405.

Now that's crazy!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2019, 01:56:56 PM »
Get a room you two!   ;D

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2019, 12:16:19 PM »

Twice a year, I drive from Chicago to Vero Beach. With my dog, who is 12 and probably would go nuts in the cargo hold of an airplane.

Southbound, first day tends to be Macon, GA. Leave about 4:30 a.m., Chicago time and get there about 7ish.

Northbound, the first day tends to be Nashville, TN, so I can see friends.

In South Georgia, freeway strip joints compete with signs for Jesus. Favorite sign was, "STRIPPERS! As seen on Jerry Springer."

Did the trip through South Carolina one time. Stopped in a gas station near Columbia, where the station had segregated the porn between Caucasian and African American. Who said the old south is completely dead?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 09:50:33 AM by dgies9156 »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2019, 07:47:45 PM »
Driving forever through Virginia, you constantly see signs for Rocky Mount, NC which is ......like nothing.
Thank good they paired down the stupid South of the Border signs throughout North Carolina but they've made up for it with JR Cigar Outlet signs.
And every town in North Carolina on I-95 has the brown "Histiric xyz" signs which they are not really. 
Billboards seem to over-dose on anti-abortion or "Teen Models for Jesus, audition today " or "When you die, you will meet God" "Buffets", and as dgies said stripper related like The Lion"s Den.....

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2019, 10:58:59 AM »
I drove across a country today in 6 hours.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2019, 02:05:14 PM »
Billboards seem to over-dose on anti-abortion or "Teen Models for Jesus, audition today " or "When you die, you will meet God"

Northern Florida between the Turnpike and Georgia is the known capital of the pro-life billboard. Teen Models for Jesus is a Georgia thing. Lions Den strippers are universal between Florida and Indiana.

Not as many See Rock City signs as I remember.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2019, 07:11:02 PM »
Don’t forget about Big Bobs Fireworks, Strip Clubs, and Cracker Barrel signs from Kentucky to Georgia.

feedback