[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Is this good for the big east

Good for the Big East
260 (82.3%)
Bad for the Big East
28 (8.9%)
Arby's sauce packet
28 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 316

Author Topic: POLL:Uconn to Big East good or bad?  (Read 25260 times)

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
Re: POLL:Uconn to Big East good or bad?
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2019, 12:37:48 PM »
I will just note that when I was making the case for this a few years back I accidentally started a rumor that I had some inside info and in fact I had none - it just always made too much sense for me. I am thrilled - we need a state school in the tristates to complement our great conference and give an extra legitimacy in basketball crazy New York.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2019, 01:03:59 PM »
I can't imagine Cincy is too happy about this.

for them, it's Big 12 or Bust. NBE was never an option for them.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2019, 03:11:39 PM »
for them, it's Big 12 or Bust. NBE was never an option for them.

I meant moreso about losing one of the better basketball programs in their conference. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2019, 05:10:52 PM »
I meant moreso about losing one of the better basketball programs in their conference.

Yep. They'll still want to get out to the Big 12 or any major football conference, and UConn leaving just made them a bit more desperate.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #104 on: September 30, 2019, 08:10:34 AM »
I don't know if this is "good or bad," but per Rothstein the BE will be playing early conference games in "November and December" with the 20 game conference schedule.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GOO

• All American
« Reply #105 on: September 30, 2019, 08:17:25 AM »
I don't know if this is "good or bad," but per Rothstein the BE will be playing early conference games in "November and December" with the 20 game conference schedule.
That will be odd at first to get into.  But, overtime, I can see liking it. Better games and more meaningful games earlier in the season. Will favor experienced teams who have played together the year before, of course.

• All American
« Reply #106 on: September 30, 2019, 08:21:05 AM »
I thought it was strange but college football has been doing it for years.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #107 on: September 30, 2019, 08:23:12 AM »
Looking forward to the 20 game schedule . Less cupcakes makes for a healthier basketball experience.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #108 on: September 30, 2019, 09:02:49 AM »
Looking forward to the 20 game schedule . Less cupcakes makes for a healthier basketball experience.
Will there be fewer cupcakes?  With the expanded conference schedules around the country, I suspect we will end up with the same # of cupcakes?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #109 on: September 30, 2019, 09:03:58 AM »

It's a great idea! Hope they are weeknight games, not on the weekend.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #110 on: September 30, 2019, 09:10:24 AM »
It will be fascinating to see the data of conferences expanding to twenty conference games over time.  Will the selection committee "reward" power conference teams with 18 or so wins, but much stronger schedule strength, from playing more league games?  Or will they inevitably be penalized since conferences will incur additional conference losses from play? 

My guess is that we will actually see conferences back-off the 20 conference game number after a few years, in order to preserve the likelihood of more teams getting to twenty wins (and more teams likely to get into the tournament).

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #111 on: September 30, 2019, 09:16:29 AM »
It will be fascinating to see the data of conferences expanding to twenty conference games over time.  Will the selection committee "reward" power conference teams with 18 or so wins, but much stronger schedule strength, from playing more league games?  Or will they inevitably be penalized since conferences will incur additional conference losses from play? 

My guess is that we will actually see conferences back-off the 20 conference game number after a few years, in order to preserve the likelihood of more teams getting to twenty wins (and more teams likely to get into the tournament).

Not sure about that.  The move to 20 games limits opportunities for mid-majors to get good games.  I don’t think 20 wins is a magic number anymore
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

• All American
« Reply #112 on: September 30, 2019, 09:46:32 AM »
Not sure about that.  The move to 20 games limits opportunities for mid-majors to get good games.  I don’t think 20 wins is a magic number anymore

Yeah I don't that's going to happen.  The Committee has had numerous opportunities to select 20 win teams over teams with less wins with a more solid schedule.  And my sense is they usually pick the latter.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2019, 12:57:47 PM »
Will there be fewer cupcakes?  With the expanded conference schedules around the country, I suspect we will end up with the same # of cupcakes?
The schedule  in the future will  approximately be:

Badger Game
Holiday tournament 2 or 3 games
1 Gavitt
1 Big 12
1 P5 Home and Home

So in theory room for 4-5 Cupcakes versus the 6-7 we have been scheduling.

Basically the expanded conference schedule is like adding a home and home and subtracting two cupcakes.

In a year projected to be weak, where we are out of Gavitt rotation, I could see the schedule picking up one of the lost cupcakes.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2019, 02:31:54 PM »

I don't. If that was the case MU wouldn't be doing a H/H with UCLA.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #115 on: September 30, 2019, 03:21:32 PM »
I don't. If that was the case MU wouldn't be doing a H/H with UCLA.

I’m willing to bet the Gavitt Games don’t continue beyond this cycle
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #116 on: September 30, 2019, 03:45:26 PM »
I would as well.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #117 on: September 30, 2019, 04:43:18 PM »

I would as well.

FS1 covers the Big Ten, so it will be a network decision.
                       ---Al McGuire

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #118 on: September 30, 2019, 04:52:06 PM »
FS1 covers the Big Ten, so it will be a network decision.
I took that into consideration.  Still didn’t  think it would be extended.  But, who knows.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #119 on: September 30, 2019, 05:14:53 PM »
I took that into consideration.  Still didn’t  think it would be extended.  But, who knows.
It might not, but Fox  would probably just make a deal with the Pac 12 whose games they also have a broadcast deal with.   The networks would prefer to have quality match ups in their inventory . 
                       ---Al McGuire

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #120 on: October 01, 2019, 10:01:38 AM »
The schedule  in the future will  approximately be:

Badger Game
Holiday tournament 2 or 3 games
1 Gavitt
1 Big 12
1 P5 Home and Home

So in theory room for 4-5 Cupcakes versus the 6-7 we have been scheduling.

Basically the expanded conference schedule is like adding a home and home and subtracting two cupcakes.

In a year projected to be weak, where we are out of Gavitt rotation, I could see the schedule picking up one of the lost cupcakes.

One of the three games in bold doesn't exist after the conference expansion next year. We will not go away from 6-7 cupcakes on the schedule, they are foundational to building a success tournament resume even though that is counter-intuitive.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

• All American
« Reply #121 on: October 01, 2019, 10:22:26 AM »
One of the three games in bold doesn't exist after the conference expansion next year. We will not go away from 6-7 cupcakes on the schedule, they are foundational to building a success tournament resume even though that is counter-intuitive.

But all three actually do exist next year and beyond.  Gavitt lasts until 2022.  The BE/B12 Challenge is a four year deal starting this year.  UCLA and Marquette just announced a home and home starting in 2020-21.  And I'm assuming the Marquette / Wisconsin series will continue even though there never has been a formal agreement in place.

If Marquette plays a Gavitt Game next year, they will have a B10, B12, UCLA and UW on their schedule.  They will be playing 2 high-major games in the Hall of Fame Tip Off Classic, and likely hosting a two cupcakes at Fiserv as part of the tournament.  (https://www.anonymouseagle.com/2018/11/9/18074842/marquette-golden-eagles-basketball-november-tournament-schedule-feast-week-multi-team-events)

So that means...

20 Conference Games
UCLA
UW
1 B12 Challenge
0-1 Gavitt
2 High Major from Tip Off Classic
2 Cupcakes from Tip Off Classic

That leaves 4 or 5 additional games depending on Gavitt and if MU wants to fill its schedule completely with 31 games.  So 6 or 7 possible cupcakes when you include the Tip Off?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #122 on: October 01, 2019, 12:32:42 PM »
I think the coaches perception of where the team is in the roster cycle will determine whether we have 4-5 cupcakes or 6-7 cupcakes.  Notwithstanding any changes to the TV created inter -conference series, the variable at play will be the Power 5 home and home.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2019, 08:38:40 AM »
Just had a an interesting dialogue with someone very close to the RJ Davis process. Bottom line, we need the UNC visit to play out to make our final closing pitch . The Jordan Tucker case still resonates at Stepinac which works in our favor .

Anyone interested can PM for details.
                       ---Al McGuire

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #124 on: October 02, 2019, 09:01:34 AM »

Yep. They'll still want to get out to the Big 12 or any major football conference, and UConn leaving just made them a bit more desperate.

Like that’s possible
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.