[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UW-Madison Homecoming Vid touts diversity, only has white students (again)  (Read 12071 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: UW-Madison Homecoming Vid touts diversity, only has white students (again)
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2019, 10:41:58 PM »
Mike, that was a sh1tty response.

Its a day that ends in Y.  *shrug*

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2019, 10:56:04 PM »

He beat me to it. I have thought the same many times.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2019, 11:15:39 PM »

But BJ saying I was having personal pity party, which had nothing to do with anything, was a non-sh1tty response? C'mon, chili.

Sure, I should be above BJ's attempts to bully everybody on Scoop, make everything personal. So I guess I apologize for not being above it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2019, 11:46:47 PM »
Understandably, the number of pediatric neurosurgeons across the globe is a small number when compared to other specialties.

Just wanted to know where the "world's best" title came from.
In deference and respect  to your medical background , I am amended the post to say he was among the best .

Clearly a guy who can separate twins conjoined at the brain has real talent. I will let it to those who judge Surgeons to do the absolute ranking .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2019, 12:12:08 AM »
Oh, God. I  created one of those threads. People...we were just supposed to kick UW-Madison while they were down. Mock them openly. Have a nice laugh together and realize that what unites us is far bigger than what divides us. Specifically:

ND sucks
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2019, 07:05:51 AM »
False. The statement was "anything is possible." I can think of many things that are impossible for all people and even more things that are impossible for some people.

False.  Miracles thanks to MU82’s Lord & Savior are always possible. #blessed
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2019, 07:23:38 AM »

A miracle would have nothing to do with working hard. So again it's false. If we all jump off a cliff despite straining vigorously to survive by jumping off smaller cliffs eventually we will die from a certain height or fall. If miraculously one of us lives that does not mean that hard work made it possible for everyone to survive.
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2019, 07:27:21 AM »
A miracle would have nothing to do with working hard. So again it's false. If we all jump off a cliff despite straining vigorously to survive by jumping off smaller cliffs eventually we will die from a certain height or fall. If miraculously one of us lives that does not mean that hard work made it possible for everyone to survive.

That's a gruesome (but accurate) way to go about it. My thought is always that no amount of divine intervention is going to turn me from a 5'11" non-athletic 42-year-old into the a All-NBA center, and no amount of hard work from the time I was born until the end of my days would make that possible.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2019, 07:35:03 AM »

Nice. Touching on all the greatest sh!ts.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2019, 08:27:59 AM »
Didn't want to post this in a new thread.  UW Madison single game tickets go on sale today.  Three games are already sold out: Michigan State, Ohio State and "not a rival" Marquette.  Also for ETR and all of the other twitter users, you can't buy tickets from UW either for the Marquette game, just like you can't get tickets to the game in Milwaukee.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2019, 08:44:39 AM »
Back on topic...

I recently stopped for lunch on State Street on a weekday.  I got back in my car and called my wife and said Madison is definitely not a part of the state of Wisconsin.  Walking a block on State Street felt more like NYC than Milwaukee, even Chicago.  It was extremely "diverse".  Though I would say it felt much more global than anything. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Goose

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2019, 08:57:36 AM »
The Lens

I agree completely. Several times a year I will stop for lunch or dinner at State Street Brats and am always amazed by the feel of Madison. A couple of years ago my wife and went for a weekend and stayed at the new(er) Marriott property and felt like we were 1000 miles from home.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2019, 09:08:44 AM »
Lens, Goose... what the heck??

Can't people be banned for saying anything positive about Madison?   I don't get this site at all!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2019, 09:44:56 AM »
Back on topic...

I recently stopped for lunch on State Street on a weekday.  I got back in my car and called my wife and said Madison is definitely not a part of the state of Wisconsin.  Walking a block on State Street felt more like NYC than Milwaukee, even Chicago.  It was extremely "diverse".  Though I would say it felt much more global than anything. 

The State Street of today is nothing like it was even 20 years ago.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2019, 12:13:52 PM »
Back on topic...

If by worldly, you mean open air drug use, aggressive panhandling, fighting, public urination/defecation, & prostitution, then yes, State St does have a worldly feeling compared to the rest of white Madison.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2019, 12:18:28 PM »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2019, 12:25:28 PM »
Back on topic...

State Street felt more global and international than Chicago?  LMAO.  Maybe a neighborhood on the Northwest side or a suburb.  But not compared to any street in the heart of Chicago.

This feels like my friends who try to tell me Columbus is a thriving center of diversity and cosmopolitan global vibes because OSU is there.  Columbus is one of the most middle America homogeneous cities Ive ever been to outside of some University faculty and a portion of the student body.  Thats not saying Madison or Columbus are crappy places or not great places to raise a family, but people try to act like they are more in line with London or LA or even Miami in terms of diversity, when they are certainly not.  UW is nearly 70% Caucasian by their own published metrics.  Same with Ohio State.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2019, 12:30:19 PM »
This thread is somehow worse than that UW video.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2019, 01:12:42 PM »
Back on great books..

12 rules for life an antidote to chaos.

- Jordan b Peterson. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2019, 01:46:00 PM »
Back on great books..

12 rules for life an antidote to chaos.

- Jordan b Peterson.

Read the first chapter.
It was a clownshow of bad science and I couldn't go on.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2019, 01:59:33 PM »
Read the first chapter.
It was a clownshow of bad science and I couldn't go on.

I’m sorry to hear that.  According to Goodbooks it’s rated 4/5 stars with over 60,000 reviews

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2019, 02:52:54 PM »
State Street felt more global and international than Chicago?  LMAO.  Maybe a neighborhood on the Northwest side or a suburb.  But not compared to any street in the heart of Chicago.

This feels like my friends who try to tell me Columbus is a thriving center of diversity and cosmopolitan global vibes because OSU is there.  Columbus is one of the most middle America homogeneous cities Ive ever been to outside of some University faculty and a portion of the student body.  Thats not saying Madison or Columbus are crappy places or not great places to raise a family, but people try to act like they are more in line with London or LA or even Miami in terms of diversity, when they are certainly not.  UW is nearly 70% Caucasian by their own published metrics.  Same with Ohio State.
70% non-diverse is just embarassing at this point. Madison should be ashamed of itself.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2019, 03:52:07 PM »
I’m sorry to hear that.  According to Goodbooks it’s rated 4/5 stars with over 60,000 reviews

Don't know anything about the book and know next to nothing about him, but lots of niche books (or niche anything) will have great ratings because people who aren't into it won't bother to read it, leaving just the fans.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2019, 04:12:16 PM »

I get that people like it, and I get why people like it. If that's someone's thing, go for it.
And perhaps had I read on, I might have enjoyed it myself.
I just couldn''t get past his effort to distill the incredibly complex humane psyche in to that of a crustacean.

feedback