[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: UConn to BE Rumors  (Read 154342 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: UConn to BE Rumors
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2019, 02:09:22 PM »
Plus if they leave in 5 years who cares? Take the buyout, distribute the $ among the remaining teams, and go right back to 10 teams exactly where we are now.

It’s not going to be an existential risk to the conference either.  The only way to kill the conference at this point would be if the big guys wanted to take some b-ball only schools for some reason.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2019, 02:18:07 PM »
Would love it if true. As hard of times as they've fallen on recently, they are still a top 10-15 program all time. Give Hurley a few years with the Big East brand and I think they will be competing for Big East titles sooner rather than later.

Couldn't care less about football. If they drop it, great. If they don't, great.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2019, 02:32:00 PM »
https://the-boneyard.com/threads/uconn-to-the-nbe.144423/

From the post, "I know I'll get crucified for this thread, but just passing along something I heard today, because it came from a very credible source. Largest private donor at Providence, directly involved in their athletic department and knows Tranghese well (who he says UConn hired as a consultant at some point) says he's 95%+ sure that UConn will be joining the NBE in 2021..."

...and

https://247sports.com/college/saint-josephs/Board/105444/Contents/U-Conn-back-to-the-BE-132970558/

"Rumors persist that they are finalizing a return to the BE to appease Fox sports. 20 game regular season round robin proposed.....The Zags were the first choice, but that proved unworkable."

That was a fun thread to read. Apparently UConn doesn't teach it's students about the sunk cost fallacy or the difference between revenue and profit
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2019, 02:58:48 PM »
That was a fun thread to read. Apparently UConn doesn't teach it's students about the sunk cost fallacy or the difference between revenue and profit

Pretty sure the entire contents of their intro to individual income tax class is "not a dime back"

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2019, 03:06:11 PM »
https://the-boneyard.com/threads/uconn-to-the-nbe.144423/

From the post, "I know I'll get crucified for this thread, but just passing along something I heard today, because it came from a very credible source. Largest private donor at Providence, directly involved in their athletic department and knows Tranghese well (who he says UConn hired as a consultant at some point) says he's 95%+ sure that UConn will be joining the NBE in 2021..."

...and

https://247sports.com/college/saint-josephs/Board/105444/Contents/U-Conn-back-to-the-BE-132970558/

"Rumors persist that they are finalizing a return to the BE to appease Fox sports. 20 game regular season round robin proposed.....The Zags were the first choice, but that proved unworkable."

Yes. Please. 20 game round robin is fantastic.

However, they should be forced to stay in the BE for basketball for a minimum of 10 years (without a giant buyout), or drop their football program or make it D2/3.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2019, 03:23:33 PM »
I have written on this topic on other realignment-focused forums, but - for many reasons - this is highly unlikely to happen for many reasons.  UConn may very well to decide to drop football at some point, but right now - in 2019 - it is very, very unlikely.  UConn has mortgaged its athletics future with football; they have spent a considerable amount of money over the past two decades on its stadium, football practice field, coaching salaries and even sacrificed long-term associations (conference-wise) in order to preserve football with a plethora of schools that they have zero history with, or even geographic ties to (the AAC).  While they have one of the largest athletic budget deficits in the country (over $80 million), they still have time before their future gets busted.  Ultimately, their ideal conference affiliation is the ACC (not the Big East nor the AAC); however the likelihood of that ever occurring is very argumentative (and highly unlikely if you listen to ACC fans). 

I would not doubt that UConn has had indirect conversations with Big East representatives since 2013 (when the AAC/BE split).  It would be prudent for them to keep all options available.  However, the AAC just signed a new long-term deal with ESPN for over $7 million per year through 2030's.  While that number will ultimately be puny in comparison to the P5 at that time, it does give UConn another immediate spin of the wheel until it does need to commit one way or the other.  There is also a $10 million exit fee from the AAC, so that would need to be accounted for as well. 

I don't see Fox ponying up for a special deal for UConn Football.  It has negative value at this point in time.  UConn *should be* investing as much as it can into football for a planned P5 shakeup in the mid 2020's.  With their head coach making just over a million, and him paying out of pocket for assistant raises, and having their head coach-in-waiting leave for a similar paying job with the NY Jets, they had their lumps of bad press this past year. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2019, 03:27:12 PM »
Plus if they leave in 5 years who cares? Take the buyout, distribute the $ among the remaining teams, and go right back to 10 teams exactly where we are now.

This.

Superbly stated, EFR.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2019, 03:36:23 PM »

However, they should be forced to stay in the BE for basketball for a minimum of 10 years (without a giant buyout), or drop their football program or make it D2/3.

I have no problem with them bringing football. I embrace football. In fact....

My suggestion is that the Big East Teams create one unified NCAA DIV I football team, financially supported by all of the Big East Teams on equal terms. There are some major logistical issues that would need to be resolved, but I would suggest the following:

CENTRAL LOCATION / HOME GAMES: Two Options: (1) The first would be to rotate annually, such that every 10 years, each school would host home games at their campus and provide practice facilities. Obviously, this would require the facilities and abilities to host these games, or maybe not really...maybe there is an advantage in designating the parking lot outside of the engineering building at Providence University as a home field, or President's Park near Georgetown. Imagine Notre Dame having to play on a makeshift field outside of LaLumiere Hall when at Marquette. (2) The second option would be to centralize the home field and practice facilities. I would suggest the BIG EAST purchase land somewhere as close to Notre Dame as possible, because F Notre Dame. Maybe the Lowe's a mile or two away from campus? Creating congestion and traffic gridlock would be a plus. Or, maybe following the Big Ten's lead with conference names that don't add up, the Big East could pick a location on the west coast.

STUDENT - ATHLETE DIPLOMAS: I acknowledge that at first blush it would be difficult to determine where someone should get a diploma if they played for the BIG EAST football team. But this is easily resolved. Each year, the starting quarterback throws footballs at targets covered with large paper covers. When the ball busts through the cover, you reach inside and VOILA! You get the diploma. It would be like Punch-A-Bunch on the Price is Right but less exciting.

TEAM COLORS: Easily resolved. The Big East already uses a red, white, and blue, color scheme.

TEAM NAME: The Big East could ask Tom Crean, as a dear friend of the Big East, to come up with a clever name that would work. Like, the Big East Red. Or the Big East Blue. Or the Big East White. Or something more clever.

DECISION MAKING ON HEAD COACHES: Ners. Or a carefully chosen panel of experts from each Big East School's most active message boards.

I am sure there are other logistical issues I am missing, such as fight songs, etc.

Or, we could just tell UCONN to F off. I don't know.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2019, 03:52:19 PM »

No reason they couldn't go D1 FCS like several other schools in the conference.  It's probably the right place for them.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2019, 04:28:24 PM »
I've seen nothing to indicate that UConn is dropping football, which gives me no reason to believe they're joining the Big East.

Losing 40 million a year might be an indication.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2019, 04:51:07 PM »
I have no problem with them bringing football. I embrace football. In fact....

My suggestion is that the Big East Teams create one unified NCAA DIV I football team, financially supported by all of the Big East Teams on equal terms. There are some major logistical issues that would need to be resolved, but I would suggest the following:

CENTRAL LOCATION / HOME GAMES: Two Options: (1) The first would be to rotate annually, such that every 10 years, each school would host home games at their campus and provide practice facilities. Obviously, this would require the facilities and abilities to host these games, or maybe not really...maybe there is an advantage in designating the parking lot outside of the engineering building at Providence University as a home field, or President's Park near Georgetown. Imagine Notre Dame having to play on a makeshift field outside of LaLumiere Hall when at Marquette. (2) The second option would be to centralize the home field and practice facilities. I would suggest the BIG EAST purchase land somewhere as close to Notre Dame as possible, because F Notre Dame. Maybe the Lowe's a mile or two away from campus? Creating congestion and traffic gridlock would be a plus. Or, maybe following the Big Ten's lead with conference names that don't add up, the Big East could pick a location on the west coast.

STUDENT - ATHLETE DIPLOMAS: I acknowledge that at first blush it would be difficult to determine where someone should get a diploma if they played for the BIG EAST football team. But this is easily resolved. Each year, the starting quarterback throws footballs at targets covered with large paper covers. When the ball busts through the cover, you reach inside and VOILA! You get the diploma. It would be like Punch-A-Bunch on the Price is Right but less exciting.

TEAM COLORS: Easily resolved. The Big East already uses a red, white, and blue, color scheme.

TEAM NAME: The Big East could ask Tom Crean, as a dear friend of the Big East, to come up with a clever name that would work. Like, the Big East Red. Or the Big East Blue. Or the Big East White. Or something more clever.

DECISION MAKING ON HEAD COACHES: Ners. Or a carefully chosen panel of experts from each Big East School's most active message boards.

I am sure there are other logistical issues I am missing, such as fight songs, etc.

Or, we could just tell UCONN to F off. I don't know.

Ya had me in the 1st paragraph.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2019, 05:21:31 PM »
Losing 40 million a year might be an indication.

Losing money is nothing new for the UConn football program (which lost $8.7 million last year, not $40 million, by the way).

Public universities make all their decisions publicly. The university's strategy for football was established as part of the UConn 2000 plan back in 1997, when the governor and board of trustees approved the plan to upgrade the program to Division I-A status.

Just this February, UConn's new president Thomas Katsouleas confirmed the university's commitment. Rather than making any cuts, the athletic department received $30 million in institutional support from the state and increased student fees another $8.5 million.

"I'm committed to football," Katsouleas said. "I think it's part of the identity of who we are as a major, broad-context university and I don't think the savings from cutting it are as great as people think. In fact, it has ancillary value for the other sports and for fundraising overall."

Doesn't sound like the administration is rethinking anything, no matter how much money they sink into football.

http://www.advance.uconn.edu/1997/971027/fballqa.htm

http://advance.uconn.edu/1997/971020/10209702.htm

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-sp-new-uconn-president-football-athletics-20190206-20190206-t5eld6bzxzhh3cocztri3y3vne-story.html
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2019, 06:55:37 PM »
Listen. They aren't dropping football altogether. If that is stipulated in order to join the Big East you can guarandamntee that they are not joining. Ever.

I went to Uconn games as a child when they played UNH, Holy Cross etc as a part of I-AA. They have spent a fortune and have no need to go back to that level - what in the world would make them do that?

The state has invested a ton - why call it and go bankrupt now?

Uconn football will be fine in the long term. They're never going to be amazing. They have made some atrocious organizational decisions and fans have gotten used to it. They get another Orlovsky for 4 years and that all changes.

The state of CT loves Uconn athletics as a whole (similar to UW in WI), and there is negligible desire among residents to cancel Uconn football. There would have to be an uprising. The state can afford it indefinitely.

The question is where do they put football. They could go Independent and that wouldn't totally surprise me. They could stay in the AAC for football and some other sports. Why not?

It seems like Scoop inevitably goes down this path every time this topic arises, a few times per year. It is a weird duality... A total obsession and nostalgia for Uconn combined with an absolute ultimatum that they slay the football program and form a blood pact with the BE.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2019, 07:05:10 PM »
Unless this information is coming from a very wealthy and connected PC donor in Minneapolis, I’m calling BS.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2019, 07:08:04 PM »
Pretty sure the entire contents of their intro to individual income tax class is "not a dime back"

Underrated comment.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2019, 07:21:51 PM »
Listen. They aren't dropping football altogether. If that is stipulated in order to join the Big East you can guarandamntee that they are not joining. Ever.

I went to Uconn games as a child when they played UNH, Holy Cross etc as a part of I-AA. They have spent a fortune and have no need to go back to that level - what in the world would make them do that?

The state has invested a ton - why call it and go bankrupt now?

Uconn football will be fine in the long term. They're never going to be amazing. They have made some atrocious organizational decisions and fans have gotten used to it. They get another Orlovsky for 4 years and that all changes.

The state of CT loves Uconn athletics as a whole (similar to UW in WI), and there is negligible desire among residents to cancel Uconn football. There would have to be an uprising. The state can afford it indefinitely.

The question is where do they put football. They could go Independent and that wouldn't totally surprise me. They could stay in the AAC for football and some other sports. Why not?

It seems like Scoop inevitably goes down this path every time this topic arises, a few times per year. It is a weird duality... A total obsession and nostalgia for Uconn combined with an absolute ultimatum that they slay the football program and form a blood pact with the BE.

I don’t believe the AAC would allow them to do that. Why would they?

And I don’t think going independent in football makes much sense.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2019, 07:36:15 PM »
Losing money is nothing new for the UConn football program (which lost $8.7 million last year, not $40 million, by the way).

Public universities make all their decisions publicly. The university's strategy for football was established as part of the UConn 2000 plan back in 1997, when the governor and board of trustees approved the plan to upgrade the program to Division I-A status.

Just this February, UConn's new president Thomas Katsouleas confirmed the university's commitment. Rather than making any cuts, the athletic department received $30 million in institutional support from the state and increased student fees another $8.5 million.

"I'm committed to football," Katsouleas said. "I think it's part of the identity of who we are as a major, broad-context university and I don't think the savings from cutting it are as great as people think. In fact, it has ancillary value for the other sports and for fundraising overall."

Doesn't sound like the administration is rethinking anything, no matter how much money they sink into football.

http://www.advance.uconn.edu/1997/971027/fballqa.htm

http://advance.uconn.edu/1997/971020/10209702.htm

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-sp-new-uconn-president-football-athletics-20190206-20190206-t5eld6bzxzhh3cocztri3y3vne-story.html

I'm not saying they are losing $40M on football, but they are losing far more than $8.7M. That number is after "creative accounting", e.g. assigning all merchandise sales as football revenue, even though no one is buying UCONN sporting apparel because of the basketball program...charging massive student activity fees, that gets assigned as "football revenue" even though it is just a charged fee to every student, and on and on.

The administration is well aware if they put the actual losses of football on paper, they would have more uproar from the average tax payer.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2019, 07:41:11 PM »

I go by what the Big East officials, school presidents and athletic directors have said publicly. Here's a quote from conference commissioner Val Ackerman back in November:

"We have talked about expansion at board meetings and within our AD group. The school kind of has to be the perfect fit. It's not a casual conversation. It's do they fit, do they share our focus on basketball, do they want to be with us long-term? Because nobody here is going anywhere."

UConn isn't focused on basketball. They don't want to be in the Big East long-term. They're not a good fit. Seems pretty simple.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jppelzman/2018/11/14/big-east-still-surviving-and-thriving-without-big-time-football/#6999c20058ac

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2019, 08:48:26 PM »
If they joined they would make less money per year and get less exposure than they do now with the espn deal

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2019, 08:57:47 PM »
If they joined they would make less money per year and get less exposure than they do now with the espn deal
Not really apples to apples. The AAC deal includes football and is only $2MM more than the Big East deal. $2MM for football is not very much. As for exposure, I can't say how many or when AAC games are on ESPN or the viewership. I don't watch AAC basketball.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2019, 09:04:46 PM »
I go by what the Big East officials, school presidents and athletic directors have said publicly. Here's a quote from conference commissioner Val Ackerman back in November:

"We have talked about expansion at board meetings and within our AD group. The school kind of has to be the perfect fit. It's not a casual conversation. It's do they fit, do they share our focus on basketball, do they want to be with us long-term? Because nobody here is going anywhere."

UConn isn't focused on basketball. They don't want to be in the Big East long-term. They're not a good fit. Seems pretty simple.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jppelzman/2018/11/14/big-east-still-surviving-and-thriving-without-big-time-football/#6999c20058ac

I'm sorry, you're kidding yourself if you think Uconn isn't focused on basketball.

And basically proving my point. I don't get the intense interest alongside some distorted image of our own standing compared to theirs. If they are a pile of doodoo and unbecoming of the prestigious BE, then why do we need to rehash this argument 3-4x yearly? Let them play in the pig pen, that way we don't have to soil our image.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the Villanova boards, Saint John's, Creighton, Georgetown etc all similarly obsess over this topic? Are we as nostalgic about Uconn as everyone else?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 09:07:58 PM by The Hamberdler »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2019, 09:07:32 PM »
I'm sorry, you're kidding yourself if you think Uconn isn't focused on basketball.

And basically proving my point. I don't get the intense interest alongside some distorted image of our own standing compared to theirs. If they are a pile of doodoo and unbecoming of the prestigious BE, then why do we need to rehash this argument 3-4x yearly? Let them play in the pig pen, that way we don't have to soil our image.

Actually, it’s UConn who is kidding themselves if they think they’re focused on basketball.  Otherwise they’d be in the BE by now. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2019, 09:14:55 PM »
Actually, it’s UConn who is kidding themselves if they think they’re focused on basketball.  Otherwise they’d be in the BE by now.

It is a zero sum game, according to fans from some other team which happens to not field football at all.

They spent a fortune on a stadium. It is a public flagship university. They are supported by the legislature.

You are also assuming that they should have presumed failure of the football leadership years ago and fixed that by offing the program. Monday morning quarterbacking is one of my favorite pastimes as well, but still, time travel does not exist... Yet.

(Ronald Mallett, a professor at Uconn, is studying time travel as we speak... Unsuccessfully)

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2019, 09:16:10 PM »

Few AAC basketball games are worth watching.  They are back channeled on the “Ocho”.  They get little exposure despite being on ESPN due to being in the AAC.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2019, 09:30:55 PM »

I know basketball is important to UConn. But they're not solely focused on basketball as the main revenue stream the same way the Big East schools are.

UConn doesn't see itself as a basketball-focused school. Look at the language their president used: "major, broad-context university." UConn sees itself belonging with the likes of Michigan or Texas -- not Marquette or Providence. It's all right there in the UConn 2000 plan. (Yes, it actually compares UConn to Michigan.) And their primary focus has been building the football program to get an invite from a power football conference.

I don't think UConn is unworthy of the Big East. Just not a good fit.