'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Here come the judge...  (Read 35515 times)

silverback

• Starter
Here come the judge...
« on: June 13, 2019, 02:39:18 PM »
So, six schools about to fall...

I write about sports from time to time, but I don't cover college sports specifically. So, I reached out to my friends who do focus on hoops out there. After talking it over with those insiders, they're predicting USC, Arizona, Auburn, Kansas, OK St, Louisville.

With Creighton, NC St., Oregon and LSU not far behind...

Still, that's just the NCAA self-policing. There are still federal beefs inbound. I've talked to a couple federal prosecutors about another unrelated story, and this case came up along the way. I can tell you this...

1) The feds have no respect or concern for the NCAA. They didn't tell the NCAA they were investigating because they believed the NCAA would tip off the schools to save face.

2) The feds are not done with college sports because it's rife with bribery, racketeering and extortion (all federal crimes). These crimes also occured across state lines, adding complete jurisdiction. So, any local police in, say, Lawrence KS, won't be consulted or be able to protect the Jayhawks, etc.

3) The Feds take their time and don't move until they've got you absolutely dead to rights. My buddy is a federal prosecutor and hasn't set foot in a courtroom for seven years because every suspect pleaded or rolled. He guarantees the first round of indicted coaches rolled on others. Now, the gears will grind slowly.

4) When the feds proceed, they'll have no regard for anything the NCAA already self-imposed. NCAA regs are not federal laws...

5) Whatever schools are next on the fed's list...They will never see it coming.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Here come the judge...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 03:36:26 PM »
I will believe it when I see it with both the NCAA and the feds.

The feds seem real intent on prosecuting assistant coaches while leaving the real money and power brokers (head coaches) untouched.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 04:06:58 PM »

The feds seem real intent on prosecuting assistant coaches while leaving the real money and power brokers (head coaches) untouched.

They are limited by the facts. Therefore, if they prosecute assistants but don’t touch head coaches, it would be because the documents point to the assistants but not the head coaches.

IMHO, many top people (head coaches, CEOs, etc) who are involved with wrongdoing give general directions (“get this done”), and the underlings do the deed. That way, if prosecutors ever ask if the top guy was involved, they have plausible deniability. “I didn’t tell our CFO to falsify the tax filings, I just said he had to figure out a way to show a profit that quarter.” That might not get him off the hook, but it makes him a tougher target than the guy who signed the returns.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 04:07:08 PM »
I will believe it when I see it with both the NCAA and the feds.

This has surprised me. Why does SDNY care if people like Sean Miller or Bill Self go down?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 04:18:27 PM »
If a bunch of assistants are getting nailed by the feds, couldn't the NCAA regulate the head coaches with institutional control penalties?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 06:46:52 PM »
This has surprised me. Why does SDNY care if people like Sean Miller or Bill Self go down?

The evidence directly links the assistants. If the Feds had the evidence to prosecute Miller or Self  they would.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 07:44:49 PM »
the feds have over a 90% conviction rate.  that can be good and bad.  once they set their sights on something, right or wrong, lives are ruined.  it's the "wrong" part that scares me.  to me, ya can lose for winning
don't...don't don't don't don't

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 07:53:33 PM »
At the NACDA convention today the NCAA spokesman for enforcement said schools will receive consequences. 

We shall see
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 08:00:39 PM »
At the NACDA convention today the NCAA spokesman for enforcement said schools will receive consequences. 

We shall see

I’m sure they will receive a stern talk and maybe even a finger wag.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 08:09:45 PM »

We shall see

Oh, that means when Arizona is formerly acknowledged as cheating, Prescott Community College will get the death penalty.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 08:15:43 PM »
Oh, that means when Arizona is formerly acknowledged as cheating, Prescott Community College will get the death penalty.

I think you mean Pima County -- but point is spot on
But I like to throw handfuls...

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 08:47:01 PM »
All that is going to happen is that schools will have to vacate wins, because of using ineligible players. In some cases a loss of scholarships. Nothing big is going to come out of this.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 11:50:22 PM »
If a bunch of assistants are getting nailed by the feds, couldn't the NCAA regulate the head coaches with institutional control penalties?

You'd think.

But when the NCAA let Roy Williams off with "Gee willakers gosh darn, I didn't even know those young men were takin' pretend classes, by golly" I don't trust the NCAA being able to recognize/enforce what seems like obvious lack of institutional control here.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 12:12:44 AM »
So if MU gets the Creighton loss back, can we raise the Big East banner?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 04:59:08 AM »

Simple.  Because of the message it would send.

Incapacitation.
Deterrence.
Retribution.
Rehabilitation.
Restoration.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2019, 07:16:48 AM »
The evidence directly links the assistants. If the Feds had the evidence to prosecute Miller or Self  they would.

They would have had it for Miller, if the judge wouldn't have ruled that he didn't need to testify.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2019, 07:18:00 AM »
All that is going to happen is that schools will have to vacate wins, because of using ineligible players. In some cases a loss of scholarships. Nothing big is going to come out of this.

Unfortunately, I think you're right..post season bans are the ONLY thing that will really hurt and send a message. Let's see if the NCAA gets tough after this whole thing.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 08:10:03 AM »
You'd think.

But when the NCAA let Roy Williams off with "Gee willakers gosh darn, I didn't even know those young men were takin' pretend classes, by golly" I don't trust the NCAA being able to recognize/enforce what seems like obvious lack of institutional control here.

Ncaa had no jurisdiction in the North Carolina situation, thus they didn’t let Williams off because they couldn’t.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2019, 08:14:58 AM »
Unfortunately, I think you're right..post season bans are the ONLY thing that will really hurt and send a message. Let's see if the NCAA gets tough after this whole thing.

Scholarship reductions and show causes for the head coach also would work.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2019, 08:46:12 AM »
Simple.  Because of the message it would send.

Incapacitation.
Deterrence.
Retribution.
Rehabilitation.
Restoration.

Letting the biggest offenders and beneficiaries get away with it does the opposite of that. If their cheating continues to be rewarded, then it would encourage rather than deter such behavior.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2019, 08:46:58 AM »
Meh.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2019, 08:57:17 AM »
Ncaa had no jurisdiction in the North Carolina situation, thus they didn’t let Williams off because they couldn’t.

So, Jae Crowder getting admitted to MU and passing the NCAA Clearinghouse with no chance of graduating in four years because of bad JUCO credits is squirmy, but UNC putting athletes in film flam courses can’t be touched because of no jurisdiction? This reminds me how the NCAA effed up the Miami investigation. At some point the governing body is complicit in this racketeering operation.

If sleaze-balls like Self, Pearl, Miller and Wade are still coaching, the NCAA is dead in the public for the sham and scam that they are, and there is enough groundswell for abiding members this time I get the feeling that they will be blown apart if they are two faced this time around. This is a tipping point for this organization.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2019, 09:03:00 AM »
So, Jae Crowder getting admitted to MU and passing the NCAA Clearinghouse with no chance of graduating in four years because of bad JUCO credits is squirmy, but UNC putting athletes in film flam courses can’t be touched because of no jurisdiction? This reminds me how the NCAA effed up the Miami investigation. At some point the governing body is complicit in this racketeering operation.

Sigh

Try again

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2019, 09:09:17 AM »

In past years (fairly distant past by now, unfortunately), the NCAA has widely used the "lack of institutional control" umbrella to penalize institutions.

IMHO, the kind of cheating that took place at UNC -- broad, borderline boastful, academic fraud -- is far worse than money getting spread around. Money goes against amateurism, which basically doesn't exist any more in big-time college athletics; academic fraud attacks the very heart of every university's mission.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2019, 09:15:42 AM »
Sigh

Try again

Other shoe to drop?  Sounds like you support and do business with a shim sham organization?