[Today at 01:39:54 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by onepost
[Today at 12:53:48 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 12:50:47 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Michigan has a basketball coach opening  (Read 7471 times)

tower912

• All American
Michigan has a basketball coach opening
« on: May 13, 2019, 08:23:52 AM »
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2019/05/13/michigan-john-beilein-leaving-coach-cleveland-cavaliers/1186909001/

I have to be honest, this one really surprised me.     I am not sure how his age and coaching style will translate.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Michigan has a basketball coach opening
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 08:28:37 AM »
I think his open offensive style could work in the NBA.  He also has good relationships with his players with very few transfers.  I can see why it might work, but I also know that it usually is a struggle for college coaches.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 08:29:09 AM »
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2019/05/13/michigan-john-beilein-leaving-coach-cleveland-cavaliers/1186909001/

I have to be honest, this one really surprised me.     I am not sure how his age and coaching style will translate.
Wow, surprised me, too.  But I understand it from his point of view.  He is 66.  Why not take a shot at coaching in the best league in the world?  He'll never have another chance.  If it doesn't work out, he can retire and enjoy all that money. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 08:52:02 AM »
Wow, surprised me, too.  But I understand it from his point of view.  He is 66.  Why not take a shot at coaching in the best league in the world?  He'll never have another chance.  If it doesn't work out, he can retire and enjoy all that money.

Last I checked, the Cavaliers aren't in the A-10.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 09:03:20 AM »
Last I checked, the Cavaliers aren't in the A-10.

Yeah, but Dayton and Cleveland are both in Ohio.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 09:24:57 AM »
Very interesting. I wish him well.

Here's hoping he builds a winner faster than he did at West Virginia (31-29 first 2 years, including 12-20 in conference) and Michigan (46-53 first 3 years, including 21-33 in conference).

I'm not sure the Cavs will keep him around 31 years, until he's 97 years old, to reach the Final Four (conference finals) for the first time.

Seriously though, he's obviously a fine coach, and this will be quite a test for him. The Cavs really, really suck. Talk about going from a high-expectation job to a low-expectation job. Fans will be thrilled just to make the playoffs every other year, he'll get the big bucks, and he doesn't have to recruit. Great deal for him!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 11:02:30 AM »
Yeah, but Dayton and Cleveland are both in Ohio.

This allows him to be near the epicenter of the basketball universe, UD Arena

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 11:43:59 AM »
Wardle to Michigan.  Wojo to Bradley.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 07:01:07 PM »
  and he had his contract re-worked last summer to cover him thru 2022/23 and into retirement...hmmmm, eyn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 08:53:04 PM »
I am not sure how his age and coaching style will translate.

I'll be very interested to see. Beilein is one of the smartest offensive minds in the game. I feel like he'll figure something out, but it will take a definite shift from the way his collegiate teams have played, not just at Michigan but going back to WVU and Richmond and likely before.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 09:25:50 PM »
Crean to michigan.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 11:41:21 PM »
Crean to michigan.

In a bit of irony, that was one coach that Beilein had some trouble with over the years.  Even when IU was terrible, they seemed to either beat Michigan or give them much more trouble than the rest.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 01:31:44 AM »
I'll be very interested to see. Beilein is one of the smartest offensive minds in the game. I feel like he'll figure something out, but it will take a definite shift from the way his collegiate teams have played, not just at Michigan but going back to WVU and Richmond and likely before.

The NBA is about players.

Cleveland ain't got none.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 04:08:40 AM »
  and he had his contract re-worked last summer to cover him thru 2022/23 and into retirement...hmmmm, eyn'a?

contractsnomatta

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 06:40:01 AM »

So they have players?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 11:43:33 AM »

Lottery ping pong ball drop is tonight.  Zion to Cleveland?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2019, 12:58:09 PM »
So they have players?

Smarta$$  8-)

Don't go all JB on me now.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 11:30:50 PM »

There’s an article on The Athletic written by Dana O’Neill where she relates that there was a general feeling amongst reporters for years that if John Beilein ever jumped to the NBA you know the College game is an irredeemable dumpster fire.  She feels that it was the recent FBI wiretaps/Adidas case exposing the out-of-control vile nature of recruiting that forced JB to reassess whether a good man can compete anymore in an environment like that. The move makes a lot more sense in that framework.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2019, 11:30:13 AM »
Juwan Howard.   Following the Mullin-Ewing paradigm.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2019, 01:15:04 PM »
Juwan Howard.   Following the Mullin-Ewing paradigm.

Does this mean Novak or D Wade replace Wojo?
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2019, 01:34:30 PM »
Does this mean Novak or D Wade replace Wojo?

Is Wojo leaving?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2019, 02:11:38 PM »
Is Wojo leaving?

Everyone leaves.   It's like death and Arby's.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2019, 04:29:15 PM »
Some players while still playing already seemed like they would be good coaches.

I recall Scott Brooks as a Rocket and Brad Ausmus with the stros  ...these guys are going to be coaches, someday. Steve Kerr also seemed to be suited...but he sort of found his way to coaching roundabout.

On the other hand, I did not see it in Doc Rivers while playing but he has done great with coaching

Its not great play that always translates. Bill Russell struggled with it ...Clyde Drexler only coached UH when it fit in his golf schedule. 

Who is playing now that you think would make a good coach or is destined to coach?
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2019, 09:54:16 PM »
Some players while still playing already seemed like they would be good coaches.

I recall Scott Brooks as a Rocket and Brad Ausmus with the stros  ...these guys are going to be coaches, someday. Steve Kerr also seemed to be suited...but he sort of found his way to coaching roundabout.

On the other hand, I did not see it in Doc Rivers while playing but he has done great with coaching

Its not great play that always translates. Bill Russell struggled with it ...Clyde Drexler only coached UH when it fit in his golf schedule. 

Who is playing now that you think would make a good coach or is destined to coach?

Off the top of my head ...

Draymond Green
Andre Iguodala
Mike Conley
Marvin Williams
Malcolm Brogdan
Jeremy Lin
And what the heck ... why not Jimmy Butler?

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2019, 01:00:30 AM »
In a bit of irony, that was one coach that Beilein had some trouble with over the years.  Even when IU was terrible, they seemed to either beat Michigan or give them much more trouble than the rest.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lRj-e5OO2Og" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/embed/lRj-e5OO2Og</a>

feedback