[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jayce Johnson to Marquette  (Read 37602 times)

RJax55

• All American
Re: Jayce Johnson to Marquette
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2019, 05:06:23 PM »
We'll see how it works offensively, but Johnson could lead to some ferocious zone defense looks. Guys like McEwen, Elliott, and Anim in the backcourt, wings like Cain & Bailey, and shot blockers like Theo, Ed, and Johnson inside could be interesting. Would really be effective against teams that struggle to score from outside.

From a personal perspective, next year is going to look very different from past Wojo teams. Put me in the camp that's still extremely worried about shooting and floor spacing.

We need bodies, so I'm not against Johnson coming in. But, I do have my doubts on Wojo making the necessary adjustments to his scheme. These personal changes haven't been entirely dictated by him, so wondering about fit I feel is a valid concern.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2019, 05:06:56 PM »
Welcome to MU, Jayce!

Anyone here see him play much? As a 7-footer, I assume he spends a lot of time by the hoop, but there are always exceptions. Playing style, comparisons?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2019, 05:11:25 PM »
Actually played against Koby a couple years ago

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400988257

Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2019, 05:15:39 PM »
Just checked his stats, he's never even taken a 3 and shoots .490 from the line... so definitely not a shooter.  He can score at the hoop, can rebound, and can foul.

If I'm Ed Morrow, I'm shooting 500 jumpers a day, and then about 1200 more.  That 4 spot is there for the taking. 

"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2019, 05:18:29 PM »
From a personal perspective, next year is going to look very different from past Wojo teams. Put me in the camp that's still extremely worried about shooting and floor spacing.

We need bodies, so I'm not against Johnson coming in. But, I do have my doubts on Wojo making the necessary adjustments to his scheme. These personal changes haven't been entirely dictated by him, so wondering about fit I feel is a valid concern.

I am never going to tell someone who wants to come to MU that I don't want them, but this creates more questions than it answers.

Is Wojo going to change the offense and play two bigs at the same time?
If so, who guards the quicker wing, Theo, Ed, Jayce?     Do any of the answers inspire confidence?
Which of the bigs plays on the perimeter?
More zone in order to play two bigs at the same time?
Is there another departure imminent?
Whither Ike?

However, I am no longer worried about foul trouble for our bigs, so let them defend the rim and go after shot blocks.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2019, 05:19:18 PM »
Welcome Jayce.

It's interesting.  Ed wanted to play the 4.  He'll get a shot to try.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2019, 05:44:04 PM »
Just checked his stats, he's never even taken a 3 and shoots .490 from the line... so definitely not a shooter.  He can score at the hoop, can rebound, and can foul.

If I'm Ed Morrow, I'm shooting 500 jumpers a day, and then about 1200 more.  That 4 spot is there for the taking.

I presume he did that during his redshirt year as well?

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2019, 05:55:50 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I'm pretty sure we are well-covered on jump shots. I don't quite understand the worrying about not having enough jump shots with Morrow in the game at the 4. It gives us an entirely different lineup that will probably serve multiple purposes, not the least of which being:

1. Matching up against bigger teams, or any teams that like to get more of their offense near the basket

2. An entirely different look to keep the opponent on their toes

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2019, 06:02:39 PM »
Welcome to the program, young man!

Ben Steele

@BenSteeleMJS
Breaking #mubb news: Marquette has landed 7-foot Utah grad transfer Jayce Johnson, according to a source. He averaged 7.1 points and 7.7 rebounds per game last season for the Utes. Eligible immediately.

Finally we have good news. Thank you. 

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2019, 06:08:34 PM »

Welcome, Jayce  Big Guy  Big News.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

muguru

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2019, 06:12:12 PM »
Let's see Georgetown's guards try to get to the rim now if Jayce and Theo are in the game together defending the paint.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2019, 06:13:08 PM »
Let's see Georgetown's guards try to get to the rim now if Jayce and Theo are in the game together defending the paint.
Greg and Koby will be at least as integral to slowing down Akinjo and McClang. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2019, 06:32:06 PM »

Yep, I thinks that is a Plan for ED.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2019, 06:35:50 PM »
Yep, I thinks that is a Plan for ED.
Can we pool together some $$ and hire Novak as a consultant. That's where the  wagers should be going, not to some stupid charity.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2019, 06:40:29 PM »
Stan tweet attached:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2019, 06:46:06 PM »
Will fit perfectly to create that 3 headed monster down low. Now let’s sign Baker and bring on Symir for next year and we will be set.

As happy as I am, I can never help thinking couldn't one of these great bigs have been 10 years older to help the three amigos transform from the beat 6-foot-5 and under team in the nation to a final four team.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2019, 06:55:49 PM »
Im guessing this is hard to believe for some
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2019, 06:59:44 PM »
From the Conference of Champions to the Soul of College Hoops. Welcome JJ!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2019, 07:04:12 PM »
Im guessing this is hard to believe for some

MU just needed a big body to defend a little and give them 5 more fouls, if he is better than Heldt, he will get more time, but with no power forward in the mix, I have
to believe you will see a line-up like this at times,  Koby, Howard, Sacar, Morrow and Ed, now you can do that with 5 more fouls to give.  It will work, then have the 2
thin small forwards Bailey and Cain at times.  I am just hoping Eke can give them a few minutes as well.  I can see Sacar getting 32-35 minutes a game playing the 2 guard or small forward, guarding the best on the other team in those spots.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2019, 07:13:31 PM »
Imagine the rebounds Ed will get playing the #4 and #5 simultaneously.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2019, 07:25:54 PM »
23rd best offensive rebounder in country.
27th best defensive rebounder in the country
200th best 2-point shooter in country at just under 60%
Even with no 3-pointers this makes his actual effective field goal percentage better than either Hauser - particularly with Joey hitting less than 47% of his 2 pointers.
Trading Joey's 0.3% of opponents shot blocked and all around terrible defense for a top shot blockers at well over 5% of opponents blocked shots (hard to be that good and not be the best shot locker on the team due to Theo.
Morrow was much better than Joey the last 2 months so that's an upgrade at the 4
Jayce is an upgrade from Morrow at the 5 just because of some height matchups for Morrow

No replacing all the things Sam did, I believe he deserved 1st team all big East - but excited for the combinations and extra minutes for Cain, Bailey and Anim sliding to the 3 however the rotation works and - no rip on Sam but I do believe we are now much more durable because he took on so much and pounded big players and chased fast players for so many minutes.

If there were a way for Sam to stay and Jayce to replace Joey I would have taken that in an instant - but glad Sam is taking care of little bro and hope he blossoms in the new setting.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2019, 07:53:49 PM »
Glad to add a big body for rebounds, blocks, depth, fouls.

I think Morrow will play a little 4, but it will depend on matchups (as so much does). When we play a big team, we can use a Theo-Ed or Jayce-Ed combo. When other teams go small, it will not be the best to have both out there, just as it sometimes was tough to have Joey out there on D against a smaller guy.

If I had my druthers, I'd have preferred a tall, athletic wing who can hit 3s. But so would everybody else. So I'm not disappointed in this at all.

Welcome to the 2019-20 Big East champion Warriors!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2019, 07:59:12 PM »
I have seen nothing from Ed to suggest he's anything but an under the basket center, but I'm not going to complain about more depth at the 5

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2019, 08:08:17 PM »
Glad to add a big body for rebounds, blocks, depth, fouls.

I think Morrow will play a little 4, but it will depend on matchups (as so much does). When we play a big team, we can use a Theo-Ed or Jayce-Ed combo. When other teams go small, it will not be the best to have both out there, just as it sometimes was tough to have Joey out there on D against a smaller guy.

If I had my druthers, I'd have preferred a tall, athletic wing who can hit 3s. But so would everybody else. So I'm not disappointed in this at all.

Welcome to the 2019-20 Big East champion Warriors!

Agreed, teams will try to go small, but unlike last year I don't anticipate an ego issue with putting the 4 on the bench. With a true PG,  Markus at the 2, then Anim-Cain-Bailey combo at the 3 and 4 and Theo guarding the rim knowing he still has 10 more fouls behind him I'm fine with our anti small lineup.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2019, 08:31:30 PM »
Morrow to PF... morrow was solid last year down low. Here’s hoping he is working on his 6-8 foot jumper

While i like the addition a lot, to think that Ed can hit more than a layup is a stretch, he struggked to make layups most times. Great kid, great motor, offensively bankrupt to quote an MU legend
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.