[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[Today at 03:02:03 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Adam Sandler tribute song to Chris Farley  (Read 5348 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Adam Sandler tribute song to Chris Farley
« on: May 06, 2019, 02:47:50 PM »
In case anyone missed it, Adam Sandler hosted SNL May 4, 2019.  He debuted a new song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25IOsvWPQGQ

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
Re: Adam Sandler tribute song to Chris Farley
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 03:16:00 PM »
In case anyone missed it, Adam Sandler hosted SNL May 4, 2019.  He debuted a new song.

I’m not a huge fan of the latest cast on SNL, but when a friend alerted me to Sandler’s hosting, I flipped it on. I had forgotten what a special talent both of these guys were. You could tell how genuinely close Adam, Chris, and David Spade were during and after their SNL years.

The Sandler Family Reunion skit was hilarious, as was the return of Opera Man. That tribute song was so very heartfelt. It even featured the scene from Tommy Boy where Chris donned his MU Rugby shirt.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 04:33:03 PM »

Truth be told, it wasn't the debut of the song.  Adam has had it in his comedy tour set for awhile.  You can find his performance on Netflix.  The hardest thing for 'Sandman' to do on Saturday was to sanitize out his four letter words sprinkled throughout the original lyrics.  He did a nice job.  You could tell it was emotional for him.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 04:38:30 PM »
Truth be told, it wasn't the debut of the song.  Adam has had it in his comedy tour set for awhile.  You can find his performance on Netflix.  The hardest thing for 'Sandman' to do on Saturday was to sanitize out his four letter words sprinkled throughout the original lyrics.  He did a nice job.  You could tell it was emotional for him.

Yep, the Netflix special is great. Laughed so hard I cried, cried so hard I laughed.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 07:38:23 PM »
Yep, the Netflix special is great. Laughed so hard I cried, cried so hard I laughed.

The "wallet, keys, phone" song is destined to become a classic.
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 09:00:59 AM »
Maybe this past week will get Lorne Michaels and NBC to reflect a little.

Be nice if SNL did comedy once again.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 09:31:24 AM »

SNL's current problem is that it's too cliques. The Beck Benett/Kyle Mooney stuff can get rough, it's either hilarious or not very good. Jost & Che have a great Weekend Update going, it's worth it every week. Pete Davidson suuuuucks, if he wasn't in the public eye I'm unsure his worth. Aidy Bryant, Kenan, Villasenor, and Moffat are all good. McKinnon & Leslie Jones can move on, I think they both overstayed their humor ceilings big time. McKinnon's impressions are the same person, just different costumes. Mikey Day is the best writer on SNL in recent memory.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 09:52:18 AM »
SNL's current problem is that it's too cliques. The Beck Benett/Kyle Mooney stuff can get rough, it's either hilarious or not very good. Jost & Che have a great Weekend Update going, it's worth it every week. Pete Davidson suuuuucks, if he wasn't in the public eye I'm unsure his worth. Aidy Bryant, Kenan, Villasenor, and Moffat are all good. McKinnon & Leslie Jones can move on, I think they both overstayed their humor ceilings big time. McKinnon's impressions are the same person, just different costumes. Mikey Day is the best writer on SNL in recent memory.
Nice summary.

I have watched SNL since its inception. Many times key players left and the show has struggled up and down with /writing/casts. In a documentary, Michaels admitted it was close to cancellation back in the Joe Piscopo days, and they went after bigger names like Billy Crystal, and Martin Short...crisis averted.

If any show deserves a chance to work through its ever evolving kinks it is SNL. Now... with the form and content of comedy under a new higher standard for correctness....the job of comedy has gotten tougher. Comedy even when its not as funny as we'd like always deserves support.

We should always retain our ability to laugh
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 01:11:56 PM »
Really? I think they are terrible.  I have watched that show since it was on the air and they are the worst I can remember (beside Charles Rocket, I think?) but basically quit on it this year and mostly because their constant focus on Trump.  75% of their newscast is basically them saying Trump is an a-hole, which is fine, but without any more cleverness than that.  They get applause rather than laughs, if you know what I mean.

I have heard that the show is getting away from being so politics-centric this season.  Is that true?  I always though that as performers the cast is excellent (particularly the women), but the writing has gone way downhill since Seth Meyers left.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 01:43:10 PM »
Really? I think they are terrible.  I have watched that show since it was on the air and they are the worst I can remember (beside Charles Rocket, I think?) but basically quit on it this year and mostly because their constant focus on Trump.  75% of their newscast is basically them saying Trump is an a-hole, which is fine, but without any more cleverness than that.  They get applause rather than laughs, if you know what I mean.

I have heard that the show is getting away from being so politics-centric this season.  Is that true?  I always though that as performers the cast is excellent (particularly the women), but the writing has gone way downhill since Seth Meyers left.

Eh. Okay.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 08:50:58 AM »

Gotta disagree. SNL the last few years has been the funniest since the late 90s Will Ferrell, Tim Meadows, Horatio Sanz years. Moffat, Beck, Aidy Bryant, Cecily Strong, Mikey Day are all hilarious. Kenan has gotten much better in the last few years, used to hate him. There are a few duds on the cast (Villasenor, Kyle Mooney), but overall, it is really strong.

Weekend update is pretty good. I don't find Pete Davidson that funny, but he is hardly ever in skits.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 08:59:27 AM by Coleman »

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 05:59:20 PM »
It is undeniable to say that the quality of the show has slid in recent years (10 - 15 at least). Yes, there have been other times during the show's history when it has struggled. The format of the show is stale, but I think the biggest contributing factors are the writers and cast.

The cast and writing staff used to consist of some of the funniest people on earth. They were given more freedom to be "funny" and creative. Whatever that meant. The current line up doesn't include the funniest people in New York. Still, they think they're really smart...The jokes fall flat and rely heavily on cameos and nostalgia.

It's true, that not all comics can fit within SNL's style and format. Finding the next batch of great comics every 5 years and casting them by the age of 24 is impossible. That said, the end result does not live up to the standard that has been set by previous generations.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 09:14:47 PM »
It is undeniable to say that the quality of the show has slid in recent years (10 - 15 at least). Yes, there have been other times during the show's history when it has struggled. The format of the show is stale, but I think the biggest contributing factors are the writers and cast.

The cast and writing staff used to consist of some of the funniest people on earth. They were given more freedom to be "funny" and creative. Whatever that meant. The current line up doesn't include the funniest people in New York. Still, they think they're really smart...The jokes fall flat and rely heavily on cameos and nostalgia.

It's true, that not all comics can fit within SNL's style and format. Finding the next batch of great comics every 5 years and casting them by the age of 24 is impossible. That said, the end result does not live up to the standard that has been set by previous generations.

10 years ago you are looking at one of the 5 best casts in history.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 11:17:13 PM »
10 years ago you are looking at one of the 5 best casts in history.

After taking a quick glance at Wikipedia, the cast is surprisingly strong, although I'll disagree about top 5 standing. I think of them more positively based on their own merit and solo work, nothing jumps out at me at all from this season. Seriously, can anyone think of some great sketches from 2008-2009? How about one? I'd guess Samberg had some video shorts, otherwise, they were heavy on political material and cameos... it doesn't hold up.

A lot of success and good things from the 2008 - 2009 cast...but classic sketches?
Fred Armisen
Will Forte
Bill Hader
Darrell Hammond
Seth Meyers
Amy Poehler (final episode: December 13, 2008 - maternity leave)
Andy Samberg
Jason Sudeikis
Kenan Thompson
Kristen Wiig

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 11:25:34 PM »
Gotta disagree. SNL the last few years has been the funniest since the late 90s Will Ferrell, Tim Meadows, Horatio Sanz years. Moffat, Beck, Aidy Bryant, Cecily Strong, Mikey Day are all hilarious. Kenan has gotten much better in the last few years, used to hate him. There are a few duds on the cast (Villasenor, Kyle Mooney), but overall, it is really strong.

Weekend update is pretty good. I don't find Pete Davidson that funny, but he is hardly ever in skits.

Horrifically bad last few years
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

🏀

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2019, 07:13:09 AM »
After taking a quick glance at Wikipedia, the cast is surprisingly strong, although I'll disagree about top 5 standing. I think of them more positively based on their own merit and solo work, nothing jumps out at me at all from this season. Seriously, can anyone think of some great sketches from 2008-2009? How about one? I'd guess Samberg had some video shorts, otherwise, they were heavy on political material and cameos... it doesn't hold up.

A lot of success and good things from the 2008 - 2009 cast...but classic sketches?
Fred Armisen
Will Forte
Bill Hader
Darrell Hammond
Seth Meyers
Amy Poehler (final episode: December 13, 2008 - maternity leave)
Andy Samberg
Jason Sudeikis
Kenan Thompson
Kristen Wiig

Agree to disagree. This season was incredible with What's Up With That? (personal favorite), Stefon, the Betty White episode, the Fey Sarah Palin, Galifianakis epsiode, Lonely Island almost every episode, and the Jenny Slate f-bomb.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2019, 08:17:27 AM »
Agree to disagree. This season was incredible with What's Up With That? (personal favorite), Stefon, the Betty White episode, the Fey Sarah Palin, Galifianakis epsiode, Lonely Island almost every episode, and the Jenny Slate f-bomb.

Oooooooooo weeeeeeee....
I agree.

Wojo just won a seat on the boat, MFs....
Joey wants aboard...but let’s see...he’s taking Maaaarkus.....Theeeeoo......aaaaaaannd........
T Pain.

Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2019, 09:29:13 AM »
Horrifically bad last few years

Maybe its generational? More people I know in their 20s and 30s are watching more than we ever have.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2019, 09:30:10 AM »

Stefon might be the funniest recurring SNL character ever.

Also 2008-2013 is when John Mulaney was writing for SNL. Pure genius
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 09:32:10 AM by Coleman »

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 09:31:52 AM »
No matter the year, people always think new SNL is bad. Give it a few years, and you'll forget the dud sketches and only remember the standouts while you complain that the 2029 cast can't live up to 2019. But I will grant that the opening sketches--usually political and get the most attention--have been boring.

Beck and Mooney are terrific.

And you're all sleeping on Heidi Gardner. Skillz.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2019, 09:34:02 AM »
No matter the year, people always think new SNL is bad. Give it a few years, and you'll forget the dud sketches and only remember the standouts while you complain that the 2029 cast can't live up to 2019. But I will grant that the opening sketches--usually political and get the most attention--have been boring.

This is a great point. I actually recently went back and rewatched a bunch of the 1970s episodes with some legendary cast members. There were TONS of dud sketches. We only really remember the really great ones (which of course that cast did produce quite a few of).

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2019, 09:52:48 AM »
Coleman,  I think SNL has gone the way of late night talk TV.  Regardless of one's political persuasion, simply bashing Trump every week is boring and, if one happens to support the President, somewhat insulting.  Taken more broadly, folks in flyover country think differently than than coastal types.  And frankly aren't interested in being lectured.

It might work for ratings but Johnny Carson saw it much the same way.  He had zero desire to offend half his audience.  A little Carson was nice once in awhile before turning off the bedroom light.  I almost never watch late night TV today and was actually somewhat disappointed when Jimmy Fallon reportedly moved away from the Carson model chasing ratings.  Jimmy is darn funny all by himself.  And the tastefully done political joke is funny, regardless of persuasion.  But the constant lecturing some do under the guise of comedy isn't.  At least in my book. 

So I tuned out; long ago.  Just like I would never watch another awards show ever.  Just like I don't give a flying eff what Bruce Springsteen's politics are.  I'm paying him to sing songs, not tell me how to think.  It works for me.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2019, 12:31:58 PM »
Coleman,  I think SNL has gone the way of late night talk TV.  Regardless of one's political persuasion, simply bashing Trump every week is boring and, if one happens to support the President, somewhat insulting.  Taken more broadly, folks in flyover country think differently than than coastal types.  And frankly aren't interested in being lectured.

It might work for ratings but Johnny Carson saw it much the same way.  He had zero desire to offend half his audience.  A little Carson was nice once in awhile before turning off the bedroom light.  I almost never watch late night TV today and was actually somewhat disappointed when Jimmy Fallon reportedly moved away from the Carson model chasing ratings.  Jimmy is darn funny all by himself.  And the tastefully done political joke is funny, regardless of persuasion.  But the constant lecturing some do under the guise of comedy isn't.  At least in my book. 

So I tuned out; long ago.  Just like I would never watch another awards show ever.  Just like I don't give a flying eff what Bruce Springsteen's politics are.  I'm paying him to sing songs, not tell me how to think.  It works for me.

This entire post is beautiful.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2019, 01:40:33 PM »

What Up w/ That - different season (season 35) - first appeared October 2009
Stefon - 1 appearance this season (debut in season 34), did not appear again for almost 2 years
Betty White - different season (35) original air date 5/8/2010
Galifianakis - different season (35) original air date 3/6/2010
Lonely Island - this was their prime, most notably Jizz in My pants, I'm on a Boat, and Like a Boss
Jenny slate - different season (35) and totally forgettable. F bomb episode was the season premier - original air date 9/26/09

The cast was very similar for both 34 and 35...but I'm not getting nostalgic for any of the above. I do like Mulaney, but he is best on his own and doing stand up.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2019, 01:46:50 PM »

Glow, if you tuned out long ago, how do you know that SNL, late night talk shows, and awards shows are filled with lecturing and political jokes that aren't tastefully done?

feedback