collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Adam Sandler tribute song to Chris Farley  (Read 5305 times)

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
Re: Adam Sandler tribute song to Chris Farley
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2019, 01:53:10 PM »
Glow, if you tuned out long ago, how do you know that SNL, late night talk shows, and awards shows are filled with lecturing and political jokes that aren't tastefully done?

Lazy writing. Each host shares almost identical thoughts and jokes. It is forbidden to stray. The material is completely interchangeable. A transcript would be impossible to determine which show or person is the original source. It is all so similar.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2019, 01:55:24 PM »
Glow, if you tuned out long ago, how do you know that SNL, late night talk shows, and awards shows are filled with lecturing and political jokes that aren't tastefully done?

Not a serious question.  Just because I don't watch, don't assume I'm not informed.  Thanks though.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2019, 03:10:17 PM »
On a lighter note, if you have grown tired of SNL, but still enjoy comedy, I have to recomend Kill Tony and Legion of Skanks. They are both live shows that are streamed online and can be consumed via podcast. Both bring me more laughter and enjoyment per episode than SNL has brought me over the last 15 years combined.

If you live in LA, go to The Comedy Store on Monday nights and support Kill Tony. If you don't, they take the show on tour. Check them out and put your name in the bucket of destiny.

If you live in NYC, go to The Creek & the Cave on Monday nights and support LOS.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 03:22:29 PM by Blue Horseshoe »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2019, 03:41:00 PM »
Coleman,  I think SNL has gone the way of late night talk TV.  Regardless of one's political persuasion, simply bashing Trump every week is boring and, if one happens to support the President, somewhat insulting.  Taken more broadly, folks in flyover country think differently than than coastal types.  And frankly aren't interested in being lectured.

It might work for ratings but Johnny Carson saw it much the same way.  He had zero desire to offend half his audience.  A little Carson was nice once in awhile before turning off the bedroom light.  I almost never watch late night TV today and was actually somewhat disappointed when Jimmy Fallon reportedly moved away from the Carson model chasing ratings.  Jimmy is darn funny all by himself.  And the tastefully done political joke is funny, regardless of persuasion.  But the constant lecturing some do under the guise of comedy isn't.  At least in my book. 

So I tuned out; long ago.  Just like I would never watch another awards show ever.  Just like I don't give a flying eff what Bruce Springsteen's politics are.  I'm paying him to sing songs, not tell me how to think.  It works for me.

The Trump stuff is 1 sketch per week, at most. Some of it is funny, some of it misses the mark. But if you aren't tuning in to a 90 minute show because of one five minute sketch, don't what to say. Lots of other good stuff going on at SNL

The fact that people can't stand their guy getting made fun of without getting offended is pretty damning of this country. It should be healthy to make fun of whoever is in charge (yes, of either party)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 03:42:53 PM by Coleman »

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2019, 04:11:19 PM »
SNL has always had great skits and some off the mark skits.  It's been on TV so long that when looking back to past year's people are only remembering the skits that worked not the one's that didn't.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2019, 04:12:05 PM »

Because I watch them and he gives me crap about it.
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2019, 04:46:28 PM »
The Trump stuff is 1 sketch per week, at most. Some of it is funny, some of it misses the mark. But if you aren't tuning in to a 90 minute show because of one five minute sketch, don't what to say. Lots of other good stuff going on at SNL

The fact that people can't stand their guy getting made fun of without getting offended is pretty damning of this country. It should be healthy to make fun of whoever is in charge (yes, of either party)

Entertain yourself coleman, I'll do the same.  Have a good day.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2019, 05:47:46 PM »
If you live in NYC, go to The Creek & the Cave on Monday nights and support LOS.

https://twitter.com/attell/status/1128245283572240384

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2019, 07:47:39 PM »
Coleman,  I think SNL has gone the way of late night talk TV.  Regardless of one's political persuasion, simply bashing Trump every week is boring and, if one happens to support the President, somewhat insulting.  Taken more broadly, folks in flyover country think differently than than coastal types.  And frankly aren't interested in being lectured.

It might work for ratings but Johnny Carson saw it much the same way.  He had zero desire to offend half his audience.  A little Carson was nice once in awhile before turning off the bedroom light.  I almost never watch late night TV today and was actually somewhat disappointed when Jimmy Fallon reportedly moved away from the Carson model chasing ratings.  Jimmy is darn funny all by himself.  And the tastefully done political joke is funny, regardless of persuasion.  But the constant lecturing some do under the guise of comedy isn't.  At least in my book. 

So I tuned out; long ago.  Just like I would never watch another awards show ever.  Just like I don't give a flying eff what Bruce Springsteen's politics are.  I'm paying him to sing songs, not tell me how to think.  It works for me.

Summed up my feelings perfectly, Glow.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2019, 09:08:47 AM »
It might work for ratings but Johnny Carson saw it much the same way.  He had zero desire to offend half his audience.  A little Carson was nice once in awhile before turning off the bedroom light. 

From August 2, 1988

https://newsok.com/article/2234928/republicans-make-up-most-of-johnny-carsons-joke-fodder
WASHINGTON

Republicans must gnash their teeth when they tune in Johnny Carson on television. George Bush has been taking his licks from the NBC-TV "Tonight Show" host, who finds him funnier than Michael Dukakis.
Two news media researchers, Daniel Amundson and Robert Lichter, have examined the monologues of Carson and found them twice as heavy on the Republicans as on the Democrats.

Republican presidential contenders during the primary season outdistanced Democrats as the butt of Carson jokes by a 2-to-1 margin.

And despite Gary Hart's womanizing, Bush was ridiculed twice as many times as Hart.

Bush attracted 32 Carson jokes, Bob Dole, 18, and Pat Robertson, 17.

On the Democratic side, Hart was ridiculed only 15 times; Richard Gephardt, nine; Bruce Babbitt, five; Michael Dukakis, three; Jesse Jackson, three; Paul Simon, three; and Albert Gore Jr., one.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2019, 09:13:15 AM »

The bolded sentence means that most disagree with you.  In a fractured media marketplace, polarization draws viewers.  It's not the 70s and 80s any longer where Carson was striving for a mass audience because there were limited alternatives.

But even Carson struggled in the late 80s as his schtick wasn't really mainstream, his audience was aging, and cable penetration rates grew creating alternatives.

And to be blunt, both you and I aren't the demographic these shows are going after. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 09:19:04 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2019, 09:33:38 AM »

The bolded sentence means that most disagree with you.  In a fractured media marketplace, polarization draws viewers.  It's not the 70s and 80s any longer where Carson was striving for a mass audience because there were limited alternatives.

But even Carson struggled in the late 80s as his schtick wasn't really mainstream, his audience was aging, and cable penetration rates grew creating alternatives.

And to be blunt, both you and I aren't the demographic these shows are going after.
Bingo. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2019, 08:04:05 PM »
From August 2, 1988

https://newsok.com/article/2234928/republicans-make-up-most-of-johnny-carsons-joke-fodder
WASHINGTON

Republicans must gnash their teeth when they tune in Johnny Carson on television. George Bush has been taking his licks from the NBC-TV "Tonight Show" host, who finds him funnier than Michael Dukakis.
Two news media researchers, Daniel Amundson and Robert Lichter, have examined the monologues of Carson and found them twice as heavy on the Republicans as on the Democrats.

Republican presidential contenders during the primary season outdistanced Democrats as the butt of Carson jokes by a 2-to-1 margin.

And despite Gary Hart's womanizing, Bush was ridiculed twice as many times as Hart.

Bush attracted 32 Carson jokes, Bob Dole, 18, and Pat Robertson, 17.

On the Democratic side, Hart was ridiculed only 15 times; Richard Gephardt, nine; Bruce Babbitt, five; Michael Dukakis, three; Jesse Jackson, three; Paul Simon, three; and Albert Gore Jr., one.

2 to 1 isn't all that bad, especially since Bush (as the VP) was the most known of the candidates. I think Republicans expect the scales to be tipped somewhat against them - just not to the levels they are today.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2019, 09:48:59 PM »
Ban des guyz^^^^

feedback