[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Walk-Ons  (Read 4270 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Walk-Ons
« on: April 25, 2019, 09:35:52 AM »
For those that may care....

Was buried in another thread yesterday, but Mike Lelito (RS SO) and Buddy Jaffee (FR) are no longer listed on the 19-20 roster that MU recently posted.

Down to just Tommy Gardiner for walk ons, at the moment. 

https://gomarquette.com/roster.aspx?roster=180&path=mbball

I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Walk-Ons
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 09:49:06 AM »
For those that may care....

Was buried in another thread yesterday, but Mike Lelito (RS SO) and Buddy Jaffee (FR) are no longer listed on the 19-20 roster that MU recently posted.

Down to just Tommy Gardiner for walk ons, at the moment. 

https://gomarquette.com/roster.aspx?roster=180&path=mbball

I bet it is relatively unusual for a walk-on to be on the team for all four years.  If you are the mind that a full ride isn't sufficient compensation for playing college basketball, imagine if you didn't even get that.  It's an unbelievably huge commitment.  If it were any other activity on campus, most parents would be livid that they were devoting so much time to it instead of studying.
Have some patience, FFS.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 09:50:45 AM »
I bet it is relatively unusual for a walk-on to be on the team for all four years.  If you are the mind that a full ride isn't sufficient compensation for playing college basketball, imagine if you didn't even get that.  It's an unbelievably huge commitment.  If it were any other activity on campus, most parents would be livid that they were devoting so much time to it instead of studying.

Completely with you.  Being a walk on would be brutal. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 09:54:55 AM »
Completely with you.  Being a walk on would be brutal. 

How so?   I mean, except for having to pay tuition.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 09:57:49 AM »

Ummm, because you have to go through the same grueling training, conditioning, practice, film, etc., etc., as everyone else, yet you have zero chance of playing anything more than run out the clock minutes against the sugariest of cupcakes. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 10:19:42 AM »
Ummm, because you have to go through the same grueling training, conditioning, practice, film, etc., etc., as everyone else, yet you have zero chance of playing anything more than run out the clock minutes against the sugariest of cupcakes. 

First .. I think some guys would enjoy that .. second, there are rewards.  Great seat to watch the game.  I imagine they get the same scholastic support.  Not to mention trips to New York, DC, Philly and maybe Hawaii, Orlando, Europe.  Dinner at Wojo's house.   Far better meal plan. 

I'd sign up for that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 10:20:32 AM »

But it is totally voluntary, and every single walk-on knows what it will be like before they sign on.

My daughter was a D3 athlete. She got to play a little, but otherwise it was just like being a walk-on: Grueling training, conditioning, practice, film. It was a 6 day a week "job," and she didn't get a penny of scholarship money for it. And they don't get the kind of perks that D1 athletes -- even walk-ons -- do.

But it was her decision and hers alone. If she didn't want to do it, she didn't have to. And in fact, she stopped playing after 2 years to concentrate on her academics. That also was her decision and hers alone.

So if we're supposed to feel sorry for walk-ons, JJJJJJJJJJJ, I don't. I do admire their dedication, though.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 10:22:56 AM »
Aren't there tryouts for walk-ons every year? If that is the case, it would make sense they wouldn't officially be part of the team until they try out and make it. I expect tryouts are soon after the academic year begins in early fall.

Maybe they guarantee some walk-ons a spot on next year's roster without trying out against the best MU has to offer each year, but I would expect this to be the exception, not the rule. These are generally called "preferred walk-ons."
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 10:32:18 AM by Coleman »

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 10:26:34 AM »

Can't believe this is a real question

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 10:27:14 AM »
Aren't there tryouts for walk-ons every year? If that is the case, it would make sense they wouldn't officially be part of the team until they try out and make it.

Maybe they guarantee some walk-ons a spot on next year's roster without trying out against the best MU has to offer year, but I would expect this to be the exception, not the rule. These are generally called "preferred walk-ons."

MU has two types. Tryout kids and guaranteed preferred.  Jaffee had his spot guaranteed before he set foot on campus as an example.  Marotta had been the same.  My recollection is that Lelito initially tried out.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 10:28:01 AM »
So if we're supposed to feel sorry for walk-ons, JJJJJJJJJJJ, I don't. I do admire their dedication, though.

Woah, woah, woah....I am not saying you should feel bad for them.  I am just saying I can understand why a walk-on would decide to move on.  Its a lot of work for little reward, IMO.  I think its pretty rare to see a kid like Marotta make it through all 4 years.  At least it has been over the past 10-15 years of MU hoops.  Marotta and Frozena are the only ones, I believe.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 10:29:03 AM »
First .. I think some guys would enjoy that .. second, there are rewards.  Great seat to watch the game.  I imagine they get the same scholastic support.  Not to mention trips to New York, DC, Philly and maybe Hawaii, Orlando, Europe.  Dinner at Wojo's house.   Far better meal plan. 

I'd sign up for that.

Yah, there are benefits.  Some may think its worth it.  Most probably don't.  Which is why it so rare for there to be 4 year walk ons.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 10:32:57 AM »
Woah, woah, woah....I am not saying you should feel bad for them.  I am just saying I can understand why a walk-on would decide to move on.  Its a lot of work for little reward, IMO.  I think its pretty rare to see a kid like Marotta make it through all 4 years.  At least it has been over the past 10-15 years of MU hoops.  Marotta and Frozena are the only ones, I believe.

Yeah Frozena is the only other one I can remember that went the distance. But it does show if you manage to do it you kind of become a MU folk hero. Both of those guys were favorites.

One year walk-ons aren't as well remembered.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 10:47:18 AM »
Our daughter was a walk-on on the MU Women's Soccer team for three years and it is tough duty. She received limited playing time over the three years, but was involved in all of the training and off season work. My only gripe on situation was the number of players in the program. There were many other walk-on's that were in similar situation as our daughter. They probably could shorten up the size of the team by nice margin, IMO. All that said, for the most part our daughter loved being part of the team/program.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2019, 03:37:26 PM »

MAGIC DAWSON!!!

Mache brothers - one of the two...

I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2019, 04:03:57 PM »

Off the top of my head...

Rob Hanley
Chris Teff
John Willkom
Shane Grube
Deon Franklin
Matt Mache
Craig Kuphall

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2019, 04:09:38 PM »

Rob Hanley
Chris Teff
John Willkom
Shane Grube
Deon Franklin
Matt Mache
Craig Kuphall

Off the top of my head ...

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2019, 04:15:59 PM »
But it is totally voluntary, and every single walk-on knows what it will be like before they sign on.

My daughter was a D3 athlete. She got to play a little, but otherwise it was just like being a walk-on: Grueling training, conditioning, practice, film. It was a 6 day a week "job," and she didn't get a penny of scholarship money for it. And they don't get the kind of perks that D1 athletes -- even walk-ons -- do.

But it was her decision and hers alone. If she didn't want to do it, she didn't have to. And in fact, she stopped playing after 2 years to concentrate on her academics. That also was her decision and hers alone.

The way it is in college sports:

D3: you are a student first, athlete second. Everyone is a "walk on"

D2: student and athlete lines blurred. You are expected to do both.

D1: athlete first, student second.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2019, 04:39:50 PM »

Rob Hanley
Chris Teff
John Willkom
Shane Grube
Deon Franklin
Matt Mache
Craig Kuphall

Only one I would have known was Hanley, and that's because he was in my class. But congrats I guess...?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2019, 09:09:14 PM »
I knew nothing of Tommy's story.  No mention of "preferred status", but sounds like he was "recruited" as a walk-on.   And sounds like he found the right place...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/park-ridge/sports/ct-prh-tommy-gardiner-marquette-basketball-maine-south-tl-0530-story.html

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2019, 09:24:09 PM »
The way it is in college sports:

D3: you are a student first, athlete second. Everyone is a "walk on"

D2: student and athlete lines blurred. You are expected to do both.

D1: athlete first, student second ... unless you are a walk-on; then you had better be student first.

FIFY

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2019, 03:56:28 AM »
sounds like he was "recruited" as a walk-on. 

like being recruited to be a mistress...

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2019, 05:54:36 AM »
Cam did a great job over the four years. He stayed and Delivered  exactly what he was supposed to deliver . Was nice to see him get the grad assistant role.

Would not surprise me if the  two guys not returning are exploring opportunities at D2 or D3, that frequently happens in these situations.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2019, 08:45:27 AM »
I knew nothing of Tommy's story.  No mention of "preferred status", but sounds like he was "recruited" as a walk-on.   And sounds like he found the right place...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/park-ridge/sports/ct-prh-tommy-gardiner-marquette-basketball-maine-south-tl-0530-story.html

Jaffee was recruited as a walk on as well.