Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Help on the way for 19/20?  (Read 74270 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: Help on the way for 19/20?
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2019, 11:44:42 AM »

But the fact is they need bodies.  I'm not comfortable with the number of experienced players coming back right now.  If Symir reclassifies, I would be all for that instead of picking up one of these guys.

I'd prefer they bring in guys that are more than just "bodies". I'd much prefer they be impact players. If they aren't going to be major impact guys, I'd rather they bring in, sit out transfers instead. My concern right now is next year and how they can not take too many steps backwards from where they were projected before the Hausers left. They only do that by bringing in impact guys IMO.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2019, 11:45:11 AM »
We need to be careful here...remember how excited everyone was when they landed Chartouny?? Well his struggles at the BE level are well documented. Both of these kids played at levels lower than Chartouny did. Bodies is all they would be..not impactful by any stretch.

No, MU really doesn't need to be careful here. They're one-year players who wouldn't be taking scholarships away from potential class of 2020 players or even a sit-out transfer. If they don't work out, no harm done. Gievn the need for depth, taking a flyer on a grad transfer or two makes complete sense.
Some of you have totally reached to point where you're complaining for complaining's sake.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:48:09 AM by Pakuni »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2019, 11:46:20 AM »

So I really have to describe why I would prefer a top 50 freshman prospect to a couple guys who played in the America East?

I'd be pretty shocked in Symir isn't in an MU uniform next season at this point.  I think counting him as 1 of the 3 (maybe 4, depending on what you think about Ike) open spots is probably wise. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2019, 11:48:35 AM »
Can we fit both?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2019, 11:48:46 AM »
No, MU really doesn't need to be careful here. They're one-year players who wouldn't be taking  scholarships away from potential class of 2020 players or even a sit-out transfer. If they don't work out, no harm done. Gievn the deed for depth, taking a flyer on a grad transfer or two makes complete sense.
Some of you have totally reached to point where you're complaining for complaining's sake.

This.  I see zero harm in bringing in depth pieces.  Theo is a foul machine.  We need guys who can provide some minutes at the 4 and 5.  Yeboah doesn't look like a traditional big, but I am sure he played in the front court with Stony Brook, and would definitely provide some needed depth, rebounding and scoring punch off the bench.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2019, 11:49:17 AM »
Can we fit both?

Yes.  We have three open scholarships. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2019, 11:51:19 AM »
No, MU really doesn't need to be careful here. They're one-year players who wouldn't be taking scholarships away from potential class of 2020 players or even a sit-out transfer. If they don't work out, no harm done. Gievn the need for depth, taking a flyer on a grad transfer or two makes complete sense.

Well, it depends on how you look at things..sure, they don't hurt anything if they don't work out, but they also don't impact the team much next year either. If you want ANY chance of them living up to the preseason rankings before the Hausers left(that's what I want), then the guys they bring in better be impact guys. I mean isn't that the better option anyway?? You get major production from a player or two, it helps next years team, and you don't tie up scholarships. Seems pretty obvious that's the better route to go.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2019, 11:51:27 AM »
  It would be difficult to refuse an immediately eligible 6'9 player.

Sure it is. You say, "No."

Or, perhaps, one could craft a list of pithy reasons why one ought not go begging.

1. Begging is shameful

2. We are better than that

3. Porsche for a Dodge

4. Highlight films are the same as "Boudoir Glamour Photos"

5. Towson, Elon, Hofstra, Drexel...December fodder

6. They all look good at bar time

7. Desperate times call for desperate measures

8. Nothing left to lose

9. Pride goeth before the fall

10. Demir means Hauser in Turkish

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2019, 11:57:33 AM »
Well, it depends on how you look at things..sure, they don't hurt anything if they don't work out, but they also don't impact the team much next year either. If you want ANY chance of them living up to the preseason rankings before the Hausers left(that's what I want), then the guys they bring in better be impact guys. I mean isn't that the better option anyway?? You get major production from a player or two, it helps next years team, and you don't tie up scholarships. Seems pretty obvious that's the better route to go.

Problem is, most grad transfers have a laundry list of high major offers and Marquette is going to have a hard time luring the top 3-5 guys that will be immediately eligible because they'll be fighting against Kentucky, and Arizona, and Kansas, etc.  I am a huge MU fan, but if I were one of those kids, I would probably go play for one of those schools too.  Hell, I sure as crap wouldn't willingly turn down playing somewhere warm for a year in order to hang out in Milwaukee.

What is the harm in taking a chance on a guy like Yeboah?  What happens if Ed gets hurt next season like he has been 75% of the seasons he's been in college basketball?  We're playing 4 guards at all times and 5 when Theo gets into foul trouble.  We need frontcourt depth.  We need guys who can rebound a basketball.  Taking on a guy who will be roleplayer in the frontcourt is not admitting defeat on the expectations MU had 2 weeks ago.   

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2019, 12:01:05 PM »

Who are these impact guys that fill a need and are out there for the taking, i.e. aren't being recruited by Kentucky, UNC, etc.?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2019, 12:05:15 PM »
Who are these impact guys that fill a need and are out there for the taking, i.e. aren't being recruited by Kentucky, UNC, etc.?

Rayjon Tucker is who I'd love is to land. From what I've seen it's only been mid level high majors involved. But he had set up multiple visits by the time we were in the market so we may have gotten to the table too late.

It's also possible that the staff is confident in their starting 5 and is looking more for depth
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2019, 12:06:28 PM »
Keefe

No is the most powerful word out there. Many folks have trouble saying it.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2019, 12:08:39 PM »
Rayjon Tucker is who I'd love is to land. From what I've seen it's only been mid level high majors involved. But he had set up multiple visits by the time we were in the market so we may have gotten to the table too late.

It's also possible that the staff is confident in their starting 5 and is looking more for depth

If you consider Kansas, Auburn, North Carolina and West Virginia "mid level high majors", then yah, sure. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2019, 12:08:51 PM »

That's a problem...you should ALWAYS be looking to get better. I have a feeling with everything that went down Wojo doesn't want to ruffle any more feathers and will automatically just look at "guys". That's being irresponsible in my opinion. Have to at least explore everything.

Rayjon Tucker is one guy, another that I have seen NOTHING about is Shakur Juiston

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2019, 12:10:48 PM »

According to Goodman, Tucker has visits with Auburn and Memphis upcoming and is drawing interest from UNC and Kansas, among others.
Good player, but don't see adding a scoring wing as a pressing need.

FruitStandJim

• Walk-On
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2019, 12:12:31 PM »
What were everyone's thoughts when Chartouny signed on to play at Marquette. That dude was SLOW

muguru

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2019, 12:14:56 PM »
According to Goodman, Tucker has visits with Auburn and Memphis upcoming and is drawing interest from UNC and Kansas, among others.
Good player, but don't see adding a scoring wing as a pressing need.

I don't want to replace Sam's 15PPG from within, because not one player will be capable of doing it..I want Sam's 15 PPG replaced by someone from the outside, and I want the pieces that were originally going to be depth(Bailey, Cain etc), to remain just that..depth.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2019, 12:17:17 PM »
What were everyone's thoughts when Chartouny signed on to play at Marquette. That dude was SLOW

I think it was generally liked because he was considered a pass first PG with an elite steal rate, and we needed a PG and defensive help.  Obviously it didn't work out, but there were signs that he would be a decent back up PG / change of pace option.   

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2019, 12:18:20 PM »
I don't want to replace Sam's 15PPG from within, because not one player will be capable of doing it..I want Sam's 15 PPG replaced by someone from the outside, and I want the pieces that were originally going to be depth(Bailey, Cain etc), to remain just that..depth.

So adding a guy that plays a position of need and scored in single digits exactly 1 of out 31 games he played id going to hurt.....how exactly?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2019, 12:19:05 PM »

That’s why I don’t want Rayjon Tucker.  He put up superfluous numbers in a bad league on a team that went 10-21
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2019, 12:20:25 PM »
If you consider Kansas, Auburn, North Carolina and West Virginia "mid level high majors", then yah, sure.

Maybe I missed something but my impression was that they were kicking the tires but the leaders were teams like south Carolina,  Memphis,  and Auburn. And yes Auburn is a mid level high major
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 12:22:07 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

Goose

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2019, 12:21:29 PM »
guru

Depth is the foundation for long term success. Of course you are right. Depth is how you overcome guys leaving, getting hurt or homesick. We just learned the hard way that we have no depth.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2019, 12:22:44 PM »

Why does Sam's 15 ppg have to be replaced by a single player?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2019, 12:25:38 PM »
Maybe I missed something but my impression was that they were kicking the tires but the leaders were teams like south Carolina,  Memphis,  and Auburn. And yes Auburn is a mid level high major

He is visiting Kansas in a couple weeks and already visited WVU and Auburn.  Not sure about level of interest from UNC, but they're listed as in on him. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2019, 12:28:52 PM »
He is visiting Kansas in a couple weeks and already visited WVU and Auburn.  Not sure about level of interest from UNC, but they're listed as in on him.

I missed the kansas visit thanks. The others are teams we can compete with. But like I said, we weren't in the market until very late
TAMU

feedback