[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Jeopardy!  (Read 19025 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Jeopardy!
« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2021, 10:34:31 AM »
I wasn’t that impressed with LeVar Burton.
And really don’t get the Aaron Rodgers obsession here.

LeVar only got traction because he started his own campaign to be chosen.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 11:02:00 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #101 on: August 19, 2021, 11:00:28 AM »
I think Jennings has had some problematic Tweets in the past.

Sony seems not to care that Richards is on tape with his sexist and racist mumblings so I don't think a few tweets from a former Champion would be much of a PR obstacle.

Richards is an ambition monster and this will not end well. He's been an a$shole for over a decade, did all he could to bury certain guest hosts, and lied relentlessly about why he guest hosted the show in the beginning.

Those of us who enjoyed Jeopardy will have to accept that it is dead and gone along with Trebek. It will be something entirely different.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2021, 12:17:41 PM »
Amazing how badly they've done with this.

https://twitter.com/nameshiv/status/1425567917857333256

"lol Jeopardy really actually ran fake contest for 8 months so the exec producer could pretend he was hiring himself over ppl like LeVar Burton on merit, this lot is AMAZING, he could have just given himself the job & nobody would have cared but that wasn't enough spotlight lmao"

"Look, you have to admire a man who is so committed to the long con he actually got the current NFL MVP to openly consider retirement in order to pursue the job opportunity that didn't actually exist, this is literally the celeb version of of a job scam and on live TV lmfaaao"

Honestly, respect to committing to the catastrophe bit.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2021, 03:29:52 PM »
Should been the people's champ LeVar Burton
I was rooting for LeVar Burton until he actually hosted the show.  He was slow (didn't get to all the questions a few times, I hate that) stumbled over words, took extra time to respond if the contestant was right, etc.  I thought he was one of the worst, if not the worst, of the guest hosts.

You don't need a MENSA member to host Jeopardy!, just a polished game show host.  Those types aren't around like they used to be.  Richards was among the best of hose who did it.  I thought the best as far as just running he show were Ken Jennings, Mike Richards, David Faber, Buzzy Cohen and Dr. Oz (who is a non-starter).  I still don't know why they didn't give Brad Rutter a try unless he wasn't interested.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2021, 03:34:12 PM »
I was rooting for LeVar Burton until he actually hosted the show.  He was slow (didn't get to all the questions a few times, I hate that) stumbled over words, took extra time to respond if the contestant was right, etc.  I thought he was one of the worst, if not the worst, of the guest hosts.

You don't need a MENSA member to host Jeopardy!, just a polished game show host.  Those types aren't around like they used to be.  Richards was among the best of hose who did it.  I thought the best as far as just running he show were Ken Jennings, Mike Richards, David Faber, Buzzy Cohen and Dr. Oz (who is a non-starter).  I still don't know why they didn't give Brad Rutter a try unless he wasn't interested.

To your point, I don’t think Alex Trebek was considered Jeopardy-level smart.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2021, 03:39:31 PM »
LeVar only got traction because he started his own campaign to be chosen.

I don’t watch Jeopardy, but my Reading Rainbow nostalgia had me cheering for Burton.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2021, 03:48:17 PM »

Must be a Connecticut thing, but this was basically my list too and agree on Dr.Oz.  (Although I did not see the David Faber 2 weeks so i have no comment.)
I liked the Buzzy 2 weeks of hosting the Champions Tournament.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2021, 09:07:57 AM »
Mike Richards out as a host.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2021, 09:24:53 AM »

More was to come out. Sony had to pull the plug and frankly surprised they let him announce it Friday morning instead of the typical Friday afternoon bad news dump.

It's a good development as this was always to end badly and better to do it quickly but, boy, do they have a tempest on their hands with their next choice.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2021, 09:55:04 AM »
More was to come out. Sony had to pull the plug and frankly surprised they let him announce it Friday morning instead of the typical Friday afternoon bad news dump.

It's a good development as this was always to end badly and better to do it quickly but, boy, do they have a tempest on their hands with their next choice.
Article in Hollywood Press
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/mike-richards-jeopardy-host-out-1234999713/

I think it would be great if they picked Aaron Rodgers
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2021, 11:17:09 AM »

His era was almost as glorious as Trebek's!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2021, 07:40:18 PM »
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #113 on: August 31, 2021, 02:43:11 PM »
Mike Rodgers out as Jeopardy Executive Producer, also booted from Wheel of Fortune.
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/mike-richards-fired-executive-producer-jeopardy-wheel-of-fortune-1235052887/
            ---Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #114 on: August 31, 2021, 02:49:28 PM »
His era was almost as glorious as Trebek's!

The whole thing was a no-brainer and they still screwed it up. I'm guessing they'll just let the offended flakes on Twitter make the decision.

• All American
« Reply #115 on: August 31, 2021, 03:06:56 PM »
What was a no-brainer?  Richards?  I mean he was fine.  But so were many others.

The problem is they should have never set up the guest host gigs as some sort of try out.  They should have had their person picked out ahead of time, and made it clear that the guest hosts were guest hosts.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #116 on: August 31, 2021, 03:12:25 PM »
The producer's machiavellian scheming blowing up in his face is worth a laugh though. Tried to move from good job to the big chair and ended up on the breadline. Classic whoopsiedoops.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #117 on: August 31, 2021, 03:16:11 PM »
What was a no-brainer?  Richards?  I mean he was fine.  But so were many others.

The problem is they should have never set up the guest host gigs as some sort of try out.  They should have had their person picked out ahead of time, and made it clear that the guest hosts were guest hosts.

I’m guessing he meant disregard Jennings’ tweets.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #118 on: August 31, 2021, 03:19:56 PM »

You’re a wise man, Cheebs.  :)

• All American
« Reply #119 on: August 31, 2021, 03:32:33 PM »

Ah OK.  Yeah, that's kind of what I mean.  They should have just named Jennings the replacement, still gone through the guest hosts as a nice tribute to Trebek, and dealt with the backlash.  Jeopardy fans love Jennings and would have forgiven.  They don't like Richards.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #120 on: September 01, 2021, 08:24:34 AM »

Ah OK.  Yeah, that's kind of what I mean.  They should have just named Jennings the replacement, still gone through the guest hosts as a nice tribute to Trebek, and dealt with the backlash.  Jeopardy fans love Jennings and would have forgiven.  They don't like Richards.

A Hollywood reporter this morning said after Alex died Mike Richards inserted himself into everything, planned to name himself the replacement from the beginning, and was awful behind the scenes.  There is a lot more bad stuff not yet public.  His 2 week stint as host did not show his real self.  Mike purposely withheld guest hosts because he was afraid they would make him look bad and I supposedly the big 3 contestants Ken J, Jeopardy James and Brad R are not fans of Mike.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2021, 08:27:16 AM »
A Hollywood reporter this morning said after Alex died Mike Richards inserted himself into everything, planned to name himself the replacement from the beginning, and was awful behind the scenes.  There is a lot more bad stuff not yet public.  His 2 week stint as host did not show his real self.  Mike purposely withheld guest hosts because he was afraid they would make him look bad and I supposedly the big 3 contestants Ken J, Jeopardy James and Brad R are not fans of Mike.

What are the odds Richards had those Jennings tweets in his back pocket for when he needed them?

When I initially heard of Richards getting the job and this process, I had assumed he was this long-time producer. Maybe it was a narrative that he crafted but didn’t realize he’s only been around Jeopardy a short time.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2021, 08:31:37 AM »
What are the odds Richards had those Jennings tweets in his back pocket for when he needed them?

When I initially heard of Richards getting the job and this process, I had assumed he was this long-time producer. Maybe it was a narrative that he crafted but didn’t realize he’s only been around Jeopardy a short time.
I was suspicious of Richard’s from the beginning when he was trying to make a big deal about Rodgers availability to tape if he got the permanent job.
            ---Al McGuire

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2021, 01:17:16 PM »

Oh, and Mike Richards also made up the story on why he "filled in for Ken Jennings because Ken Jennings was unavailable due to other commitments".  Ken was available  and could have the filming of "The Chase" game show.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #124 on: September 01, 2021, 01:26:45 PM »
Oh, and Mike Richards also made up the story on why he "filled in for Ken Jennings because Ken Jennings was unavailable due to other commitments".  Ken was available  and could have the filming of "The Chase" game show.
Richards has a lot of enemies in the business. The stories are coming out now.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/jeopardy-mike-richards-price-is-right-1235006082/
            ---Al McGuire