[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Reality Check  (Read 12971 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Reality Check
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2019, 02:33:24 PM »
Two guys. A package deal have left the program. Villanova lost two guys including their top 2018-19 recruit. Lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Wonder who the cancer in that locker room is.

Actually, Nova lost in the second round. Totally stomped by Purdue.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2019, 02:34:10 PM »
Goldeneagle and others. I put this out there originally. Who in your mind should we have hired? Maybe Howland? Record pretty similar. Maybe go off the board. Archie Miller was talked a lot here. So who did you want? Who did we miss out? And no way MU hires someone with the baggage of Sampson and Pearl.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2019, 02:34:15 PM »
Two guys. A package deal have left the program. Villanova lost two guys including their top 2018-19 recruit. Lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Wonder who the cancer in that locker room is.
Neat comparison. What else can you compare between the two programs for say, the past 5 seasons?
No Finish Line

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2019, 02:37:33 PM »
It’s the guy taking 25 shots a game!

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2019, 02:44:15 PM »
Now we're comparing Wojo to Wright? Good God this is becoming stupid. The only reason to compare the two is to make Wojo look bad, really bad. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2019, 03:23:03 PM »
Nobody’s taking a chance on a 5’9” team cancer who can’t handle the ball

Sickening post. You are 100 times the cancer on Scoop than Markus is to Marquette.

People like you make me wonder why I keep coming back to Scoop. Markus, meanwhile, is the type of representative every college looks for.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2019, 03:27:56 PM »
Goldeneagle and others. I put this out there originally. Who in your mind should we have hired? Maybe Howland? Record pretty similar. Maybe go off the board. Archie Miller was talked a lot here. So who did you want? Who did we miss out? And no way MU hires someone with the baggage of Sampson and Pearl.
I'm not sure, but at the same time I'm not the one conducting the search. When the new search happens you know Marquette will pay a firm some big dollars to help with it.

I think it's imperative now that Scholl start working any and all connections, so that in 12 months we make the right hire. This year I would have loved to hire Fred Hoiberg.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2019, 03:29:01 PM »
Sickening post. You are 100 times the cancer on Scoop than Markus is to Marquette.

People like you make me wonder why I keep coming back to Scoop. Markus, meanwhile, is the type of representative every college looks for.
>:(

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2019, 03:30:28 PM »
I'm not sure, but at the same time I'm not the one conducting the search. When the new search happens you know Marquette will pay a firm some big dollars to help with it.

I think it's imperative now that Scholl start working any and all connections, so that in 12 months we make the right hire. This year I would have loved to hire Fred Hoiberg.

I keep seeing Hoiberg mentioned.  He had a lot of ties to Nebraska and as weird as it seems, going to Nebraska made more sense for him than people think.  His grandfather coached their for years and he still has family there
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 03:32:31 PM by Uncle Rico »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2019, 03:41:06 PM »

Gregg Marshall.  Spare me the "Koch Brothers money, he'll never leave" spin: Marquette could have afforded him and we'd be in a much better place as a program.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2019, 03:43:55 PM »
The reactions and attacks on some of our players here is embarrassing.  Whether the Hausers or Markus.  Embarrassing.

You should be ashamed. 

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2019, 03:49:26 PM »
The reactions and attacks on some of our players here is embarrassing.  Whether the Hausers or Markus.  Embarrassing.

You should be ashamed.

You should be ashamed.

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2019, 03:52:21 PM »
Greg Marshall is one of the country's top 20 highest paid coaches. So no doubt he would have taken a pay cut to come here. My hats off to you Onepost. You got me.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2019, 03:54:07 PM »
Gregg Marshall.  Spare me the "Koch Brothers money, he'll never leave" spin: Marquette could have afforded him and we'd be in a much better place as a program.

Marshall has turned down ACC, SEC and Big 10 schools and earns much more at Wichita State than Marquette has ever paid.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2019, 03:57:54 PM »
We should hire the next Chris Beard.

Except that if we hired a guy with the resume Beard had when TTech hired him, at least 2/3 of Scoop would scream that we were "settling" for an unproven nobody.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2019, 04:30:38 PM »

You should be ashamed.

Plus Tax.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2019, 04:35:19 PM »
Now we're comparing Wojo to Wright? Good God this is becoming stupid. The only reason to compare the two is to make Wojo look bad, really bad.

Maybe look at his first five years where he made the Tournament 2 times and yes he did make the Elite 8 in year 5. Took him 8 years to make a Final Four. Then the next 5 years after his FF he made the tournament 4 times winning a total of 2 games. Probably you would have wanted him fired. After all, 13 years one Elite 8 one Final Four and only one tournament victory in the previous 4 seasons.

Maybe we can us John Belein. You probably would be calling for his head after his 5th season at MI with just 3 tournament appearance and 2 total wins.

war1980rior

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2019, 04:40:07 PM »
I've always loved this quote, and think it's a good time for it.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

Some simple facts after this quote.  Each of the people we are hammering on (one side or the other) have spent their entire lives in the arena.  No one should really criticize them unless they are facing them in the arena.  It's Ok to ask "what were they thinking?"  I personally admire everyone and anyone willing to get into the fire and man up.  I don't question each and every move unless I'm in there with them.

Sam was my favorite player over the last couple years. I'm sad to see him go, wish him the best, and wish he could have worked it out.  I won't miss Joey.  My impression as an ex-career military leader, ex-college coach, and current senior sales manager, he pouted a lot. I chalked it up to "Freshman." Now the "pouting" I perceived takes a different look. He might be significantly better in a few years, but I think there is enough younger talent at MU to compensate. Sam needed something different. Good for him and his brother, so off they go.

Wojo takes a ton of heat on this board, but like it or not, he's here. Work with it. Our sole job is support, unless we want to get in the arena again (or for the first time).  I don't plan on being a big enough donor to make an impact in that area. Therefore I'll continue verbal support of Wojo.  And as a second note, if a player can't adjust to what the coach wants, he should go. It's the bad for the team and culture. Sam and Joey decided they didn't fit. They fell on their swords and moved on.

Lots of folks can attack at will, but I'm all in for next year, and think we'll be OK with a solid point guard, and Greg coming back.  Who knows, Ike might make an impact (He looked in great shape and health as the season progressed).  I do know the remaining players appeared to love Markus in the games, and with a true point guard he can be perhaps more effective.  I'm going to wait and see how Wojo modifies, changes, or who he is able to snap up out of the ever growing (each year as well as now) transfer pool.  Recognize what this is ... opportunity for the next man up! 

None of these guys are jerks (yet).  Hausers have their reasons, and I just hope they thought it out.  With luck, a couple of our guys will be able to face up on them in the arena, and have some fun making the regret leaving.  Wojo will continue to learn as he goes.

Marquette is a special place, and each of us should remember that those standing in our arena mostly know that.  I've said my peace ... Go Marquette - Beat Villanova, Beat Wisconsin!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 04:42:38 PM by war1980rior »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2019, 04:42:06 PM »
Maybe look at his first five years where he made the Tournament 2 times and yes he did make the Elite 8 in year 5. Took him 8 years to make a Final Four. Then the next 5 years after his FF he made the tournament 4 times winning a total of 2 games. Probably you would have wanted him fired. After all, 13 years one Elite 8 one Final Four and only one tournament victory in the previous 4 seasons.

Maybe we can us John Belein. You probably would be calling for his head after his 5th season at MI with just 3 tournament appearance and 2 total wins.

Someone needs to do the research and find all the HOF coaches that had 2 of his best 3 players to transfer after year 5. 

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2019, 04:55:09 PM »
Someone needs to do the research and find all the HOF coaches that had 2 of his best 3 players to transfer after year 5.

That are brothers who want insist on a package deal.  It's a pretty unique circumstance.  Makes me grateful that I don't have the skill set to be a college coach. 
Ludum habemus.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2019, 04:56:34 PM »
That are brothers who want insist on a package deal.  It's a pretty unique circumstance.  Makes me grateful that I don't have the skill set to be a college coach.

Ok I will amend.  2nd best player who is a rising senior. 

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2019, 04:57:17 PM »
And what does that have to do with this discussion. Benett lost Shayok this year. Granted not a starter but was going to be. The point I am trying to make is people want to get rid of Wojo who has built a pretty good program but hasn't had any post season success. A lot of great coaches have also struggled at the beginning or at times. The reason they are HOF coaches is because they had the support and patience from their administration.

And to say this is Hiroshima is an insult to the current team. I love the Hausers. The few times I met them they were very impressive young men and so where their parents. We'll miss them. But I also really like what we have. Greg and Toby are coming back. (I know there are rumors other players are leaving but until they do they are still on the roster). Brendan will have a full off season to work out the kinks and hopefully some renewed confidence. Sacar is only going to get better. Ed and Theo are also going to get better. Hopefully Ike can play. Jamal looked promising at times his FR year. Don't know what happened last year but he still flashed a couple of times. Akanno is under the radar but my friends who saw him said he is a tough SOB. Markus is still one of the best shooters in college. We can still be a top 25 team and who knows maybe more.

But let's blow it up. Get rid of Wojo. Start over. Maybe 3 or 4 guys transfer out. Lose all recruits we currently on for 2020. Go through hell for another 3 years for what. A long shot we will be better at the end. As my original list pointed out. It is a lot easier to fail that to be a consistent national power. Patience will get you there see Belein, Wright and a ton of other programs.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2019, 05:13:07 PM »

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

Some simple facts after this quote.  Each of the people we are hammering on (one side or the other) have spent their entire lives in the arena.  No one should really criticize them unless they are facing them in the arena.  It's Ok to ask "what were they thinking?"  I personally admire everyone and anyone willing to get into the fire and man up.  I don't question each and every move unless I'm in there with them.

Sam was my favorite player over the last couple years. I'm sad to see him go, wish him the best, and wish he could have worked it out.  I won't miss Joey.  My impression as an ex-career military leader, ex-college coach, and current senior sales manager, he pouted a lot. I chalked it up to "Freshman." Now the "pouting" I perceived takes a different look. He might be significantly better in a few years, but I think there is enough younger talent at MU to compensate. Sam needed something different. Good for him and his brother, so off they go.

Wojo takes a ton of heat on this board, but like it or not, he's here. Work with it. Our sole job is support, unless we want to get in the arena again (or for the first time).  I don't plan on being a big enough donor to make an impact in that area. Therefore I'll continue verbal support of Wojo.  And as a second note, if a player can't adjust to what the coach wants, he should go. It's the bad for the team and culture. Sam and Joey decided they didn't fit. They fell on their swords and moved on.

Lots of folks can attack at will, but I'm all in for next year, and think we'll be OK with a solid point guard, and Greg coming back.  Who knows, Ike might make an impact (He looked in great shape and health as the season progressed).  I do know the remaining players appeared to love Markus in the games, and with a true point guard he can be perhaps more effective.  I'm going to wait and see how Wojo modifies, changes, or who he is able to snap up out of the ever growing (each year as well as now) transfer pool.  Recognize what this is ... opportunity for the next man up! 

None of these guys are jerks (yet).  Hausers have their reasons, and I just hope they thought it out.  With luck, a couple of our guys will be able to face up on them in the arena, and have some fun making the regret leaving.  Wojo will continue to learn as he goes.

Marquette is a special place, and each of us should remember that those standing in our arena mostly know that.  I've said my peace ... Go Marquette - Beat Villanova, Beat Wisconsin!

Nice Post. Thanks
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2019, 05:18:25 PM »

― Theodore Roosevelt

Wonderfully stated.  Excellent post.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2019, 05:43:41 PM »

Wright did have a stronger first 5 years and established some 'capital' to justify being patient with his program development. Belein had a long resume of success prior to MI that also gave him a longer runway to implement his proven system.

For the record, I don't want Wojo fired. He earned a longer leash with the successes of this past season. I don't think its unreasonable to believe there are some serious questions about him establishing a sustained winning program but with positives, like a top 10 ranking and a 5 seed, he will continue to allow himself more time to learn to coach better and manage players better. Besides us on the internet, MU is evaluating his ability to do the job. If they were sold on him (like Wright at VU) he would have a long term lucrative contract in hand. 

feedback