Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Should Wojo Be Fired?

Fire Wojo
Retain Wojo

Author Topic: Poll: Post Hiroshima  (Read 26034 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Poll: Post Hiroshima
« on: April 16, 2019, 12:23:15 PM »
With the news of the Hausers leaving the team what is your position with respect to the retention of Coach Wojo?

Should  Wojo be fired or should he be retained ?

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
Re: Poll: Post Hiroshima
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 12:24:22 PM »
I look at what is happening at SJU right now and think the MU fanbase is deluding themselves to think the search would be any different for Marquette.  Particularly at this point of the process.    He gets one more year.   
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 12:28:42 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 12:26:40 PM »
He's a lame duck in 2019-2020 and you send him on the first bus out of Milwaukee in March/April 2020.
He can't recover from this and shouldn't be given the chance beyond this season.  Guy is a fraud of a head coach.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 12:27:39 PM »
Damn. I had a bet on how long it would take Herman to resurrect his fire wojo poll. I didn't anticipate a new poll.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 12:28:41 PM »
Looks like results will mirror the first poll.

Vocal minority.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 12:30:14 PM »
He's a lame duck in 2019-2020 and you send him on the first bus out of Milwaukee in March/April 2020.
He can't recover from this and shouldn't be given the chance beyond this season.  Guy is a fraud of a head coach.

He can't? Maybe. But that sounds more like a prediction than a fact. You may not like it, but the reality is that you have to give him the opportunity to recover. If he doesn't, he will be gone. If he does, you might have yourself a coach.
TAMU

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 12:33:35 PM »
The window for firing Wojo was open but has since closed. Assuming this development was known a while back a case could be made Wojo should’ve been fired before it got to this point.
No Finish Line

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 12:36:08 PM »
The window for firing Wojo was open but has since closed. Assuming this development was known a while back a case could be made Wojo should’ve been fired before it got to this point.

Friction between Sam and Markus? Known. Markus coming back would lead to Hausers transfers? Less known.
TAMU

onepost

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 12:38:41 PM »
He can't? Maybe. But that sounds more like a prediction than a fact. You may not like it, but the reality is that you have to give him the opportunity to recover. If he doesn't, he will be gone. If he does, you might have yourself a coach.

A coach who can't hold on to 2 of his best players, and could potentially lose more core players yet, on the brink of a potentially all-time Marquette season.
This is a cultural issue and there's no point in putting bandaids on a stab wound.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 12:49:58 PM by onepostjohnson »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 12:45:14 PM »
MU is in a weird purgatory not often seen in college hoops. PRN mentioned it in another thread, but this is going to be a really awkward season. Winning would certainly cure all that. Wojo's problem is he doesn't have any real equity (no postseason wins, no conference titles, no tournament titles). If MU hits a stretch where they lose 5 out of 6 in conference (or something similar), it's gonna get ugly.

If for some reason MU misses the tournament next year, and Wojo is still the coach a year from now, it'll be an incredibly tone deaf look by the MU administration. I don't know how else to put it.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 12:47:17 PM »
Who are these people voting yes?  Like seriously - are people happy with the on-court product for the past 5 years?  It baffles me.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 12:48:51 PM »
Looks like results will mirror the first poll.

Vocal minority.

Some loud, persistent "Yeas" though.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 12:49:10 PM »
A coach who can't hold on to 2 of his best players on the brink of a potentially all-time Marquette season.
This is a cultural issue and there's no point in putting bandaids on a stab wound.

The cultural issue is that Wojo didnt bend the knee to the Hauser family. I say that is something a real coach does.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 12:51:07 PM »
The cultural issue is that Wojo didnt bend the knee to the Hauser family. I say that is something a real coach does.

Nope.  Try again.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 12:52:12 PM »
Friction between Sam and Markus? Known. Markus coming back would lead to Hausers transfers? Less known.
Friction (aka total and utter dysfunction) to the level it could cause two core members of our team to actually consider transferring? That had to be known to some degree.
No Finish Line

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 01:01:16 PM »
Who are these people voting yes?  Like seriously - are people happy with the on-court product for the past 5 years?  It baffles me.

We still have a good team.  Obviously not as good as with the Hausers but one that should make the tournament next year.  And if Wojo lands some of the 2020 recruits we are in on we should have a tournament worthy team the following years.

Why throw that all away now?

Wojo is going to make mistakes.  I trust he will learn from them.  2017-18 our defense was garbage.  He adapted and our defense improved leaps and bounds last season.  Did he mishandle Markus at the end of the year last season?  Probably.  But I trust he will learn from that. 

If we falter the next few years, sure Wojo will have to go.  Now in a NCAA tournament window is not that time.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2019, 01:05:31 PM »
A coach who can't hold on to 2 of his best players, and could potentially lose more core players yet, on the brink of a potentially all-time Marquette season.

I don't really give a rat's tit what players are on the roster as long as they don't have major off court issues and they win. Do you?

Expectation is still to win next season, earn a high seed, and have stable recruiting foundation for the future. No Hausers will make that a lot of tougher. Let's see if Wojo can do it. If can't, he will be gone. If he can he might be better than we think at the moment. Either way, you have to give the guy the opportunity. Firing him is not a realistic option at this point.
TAMU

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2019, 01:09:10 PM »
Leaving the MSU Duke game, I was listening to Duke fans discuss whether it was time for K to retire.  Apparently the game has passed him by and he didn't abandon his offense and just feed Zion.

Wojo isn't K.  Fans lash out when they are frustrated.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2019, 01:24:18 PM »
Leaving the MSU Duke game, I was listening to Duke fans discuss whether it was time for K to retire.  Apparently the game has passed him by and he didn't abandon his offense and just feed Zion.

Wojo isn't K.  Fans lash out when they are frustrated.

Some think the point of firing a coach is punishing him for failing to meet expectations. The real point of firing a coach is because it is what is best for the future of the program.
TAMU

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2019, 01:25:48 PM »
All for retaining him for this season. He performs, extend him. He doesn't perform, fire him. No more limbo. This year should tell all.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2019, 02:16:55 PM »
I don't really give a rat's tit what players are on the roster as long as they don't have major off court issues and they win. Do you?

A) Did the Hausers have major off-court issues?  Or were they instead exemplary student athletes.
B) Does losing Sam and Joey make us more or less likely to win as many games as possible next season?  These are the things you say you care about.

You're willing to back a coach who willingly chooses to make his job much harder but not being able to keep 2 of his best players?  And yes, I say "willingly chooses" due to his inability to reign in Markus despite THE ENTIRE TEAM pleading with him on multiple occasions to change things: not just Sam and Joey.  If this a Hauser problem, why are we still not out of the woods on other core players potentially leaving yet?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2019, 02:21:53 PM »
A) Did the Hausers have major off-court issues?  Or were they instead exemplary student athletes.
B) Does losing Sam and Joey make us more or less likely to win as many games as possible next season?  These are the things you say you care about.

You're willing to back a coach who willingly chooses to make his job much harder but not being able to keep 2 of his best players?  And yes, I say "willingly chooses" due to his inability to reign in Markus despite THE ENTIRE TEAM pleading with him on multiple occasions to change things: not just Sam and Joey.  If this a Hauser problem, why are we still not out of the woods on other core players potentially leaving yet?
If the rumors are true, what should Wojo have done to make his life easier?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2019, 02:24:17 PM »
IMO Wojo isn't even on the hot seat.  A completely clusteryouknowwhat next season and it may warm up.  But he still won't be fired. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2019, 02:28:38 PM »
Damn. I had a bet on how long it would take Herman to resurrect his fire wojo poll. I didn't anticipate a new poll.

At this rate, we might see 20+ new polls before next season starts.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2019, 02:32:17 PM »
At times like these, I miss Ners.

feedback