Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Should Wojo Be Fired?

Fire Wojo
Retain Wojo

Author Topic: Poll: Post Hiroshima  (Read 26030 times)

williewarrior

• Walk-On
Re: Poll: Post Hiroshima
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2019, 04:07:24 PM »
We still have a good team.  Obviously not as good as with the Hausers but one that should make the tournament next year.  And if Wojo lands some of the 2020 recruits we are in on we should have a tournament worthy team the following years.

Why throw that all away now?

Wojo is going to make mistakes.  I trust he will learn from them.  2017-18 our defense was garbage.  He adapted and our defense improved leaps and bounds last season.  Did he mishandle Markus at the end of the year last season?  Probably.  But I trust he will learn from that. 

If we falter the next few years, sure Wojo will have to go.  Now in a NCAA tournament window is not that time.
Excuses

williewarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2019, 04:12:10 PM »
I think some people around these parts are just wildly unrealistic.  Marquette is a nice program and will continue to be a nice program.  We are not a blue blood, or frankly anywhere near a blue blood. And that is OK.

Wojo is a good recruiter, and probably a pretty good coach.  These things take time to build.  The Hauser situation is an absolute gut punch, but it is what it is now.  Two days ago everyone through we had a consensus top 10 team.  Things are pointed in the right direction, and switching course now is insane, and also never going to happen. 

Just enjoy the guy we have.  The grass is not always greener.
"probably a pretty good coach"? We all need to smoke what this guy is imbibing.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2019, 04:20:28 PM »
"probably a pretty good coach"? We all need to smoke what this guy is imbibing.

Willie-

Should Wojo be fired tomorrow, who do you think Marquette should hire?  Who are the top 3 choices
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2019, 04:20:47 PM »
I think some people around these parts are just wildly unrealistic.  Marquette is a nice program and will continue to be a nice program.  We are not a blue blood, or frankly anywhere near a blue blood. And that is OK.

Wojo is a good recruiter, and probably a pretty good coach.  These things take time to build.  The Hauser situation is an absolute gut punch, but it is what it is now.  Two days ago everyone through we had a consensus top 10 team.  Things are pointed in the right direction, and switching course now is insane, and also never going to happen. 

Just enjoy the guy we have.  The grass is not always greener.
This is the most Pro-Wojo post on this board. That is all you need to know about the state of affairs. Pretty sad.

Thank God the vast majority of fans, boosters and the MU brass think more highly of MU than this guy. Wojo is another day closer to the end of his contract for a reason. Not a good time to replace the coach but obviously not time to extend his contract. No faith in Wojo from MU administration. Wojo is most definitely on the clock. 

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2019, 04:29:20 PM »
Goose

I won’t lie. My only attraction to Stan is the Buzz affect. Not the greatest basis but it worked really well once before!
No Finish Line

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2019, 04:31:24 PM »
Nope.  Try again.

He’s not entirely wrong...

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2019, 04:40:04 PM »
I voted to start the inevitable rebuild now.  No reason to wait 12 months.

Hey, Scott Merritt is available. 

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2019, 04:41:32 PM »
Everyone needs to stop with the "WhO sPeCiFiCaLlY iS tHe RePlAcEmEnT?!?"

None of us are in the Athletic Department, none of us are being paid xx millions to know the answer to that question, none of us have the connections the AD has to know what coaches are out there or may have an interest in moving around.  But what is clear is that Wojo is not the right coach.

Let's walk through the following:

Wojo = not the right coach
Any replacement = MAYBE the right coach

Wojo = 0% chance to build a long-term successful, top flight program here
Any replacement = non-zero% chance to build a long-term successful, top flight program

Everyone waiting "til next year", "til next year", "2020!", "2022!", "2028!!" is simply KIDDING themselves at this point.  Wake up!  Next year will be painful.  2020?  2021?  Why are we expecting any of these years to be any different than what we've already SEEN manifest itself for 5 straight years! 

Carlino=Rowsey=Howard=whoever the next guy is!

Are we really happy with that??  Willing to live that groundhog day assuredly AGAIN at some point in the future???

It's extremely simple, really.

F I R E W O J O

Class71

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2019, 04:42:22 PM »
Timing is not right for a firing. The administration will not fire a coach because two players leave.

However, next year, after we see the results of another year, even Marquette's administration may slowly begin to see, This dog don't hunt. Will they take action? Unlikely. It will take multiple years of sub-par performance and complete frustration by the fans to end the Wojo dynasty.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2019, 04:45:08 PM »
Excuses

Where was there a single excuse?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2019, 04:48:30 PM »
Everyone needs to stop with the "WhO sPeCiFiCaLlY iS tHe RePlAcEmEnT?!?"

None of us are in the Athletic Department, none of us are being paid xx millions to know the answer to that question, none of us have the connections the AD has to know what coaches are out there or may have an interest in moving around.  But what is clear is that Wojo is not the right coach.

Let's walk through the following:

Wojo = not the right coach
Any replacement = MAYBE the right coach

Wojo = 0% chance to build a long-term successful, top flight program here
Any replacement = non-zero% chance to build a long-term successful, top flight program

Everyone waiting "til next year", "til next year", "2020!", "2022!", "2028!!" is simply KIDDING themselves at this point.  Wake up!  Next year will be painful.  2020?  2021?  Why are we expecting any of these years to be any different than what we've already SEEN manifest itself for 5 straight years! 

Carlino=Rowsey=Howard=whoever the next guy is!

Are we really happy with that??  Willing to live that groundhog day assuredly AGAIN at some point in the future???

It's extremely simple, really.

F I R E W O J O

I’m not saying not to fire Wojo.  I voted for it in this poll.  But I disagree with not discussing potential replacements.  That’s precisely what these boards are for.  It’s no different than discussing roster construction. 

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2019, 04:50:33 PM »
Timing is not right for a firing. The administration will not fire a coach because two players leave.

However, next year, after we see the results of another year, even Marquette's administration may slowly begin to see, This dog don't hunt. Will they take action? Unlikely. It will take multiple years of sub-par performance and complete frustration by the fans to end the Wojo dynasty.

Mostly agree with this except Wojo does not have many years left. If next year is disappointing, the buy-out is two years? Not huge. Also, without job security Wojo could jump to a mid-major for some long term job security. Recruiting kids to come when there is no contract in place that you'll be there is hard, but not impossible. MU is making Wojo's already difficult job more difficult, but I agree with MU. 

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2019, 04:50:41 PM »
I look at what is happening at SJU right now and think the MU fanbase is deluding themselves to think the search would be any different for Marquette.  Particularly at this point of the process.    He gets one more year.

Agree the BOT and Scholl need to be hitting the back channels hard over the next year to find a viable option. Give wojo this year to prove himself, and when he doesn't cut the cord.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2019, 04:50:50 PM »
I hate this subject title. Just 2 atomic bombs have been used in warfare since 1945. The results were so horrific, we haven't seen such weapons deployed since.

It's beyond ridiculous to compare two college students leaving Marquette to an event such as Hiroshima. Come on, get a grip. We've managed to deal with the unexpected departures of players such as Jeronne Maymon, Deonte Burton, Vander Blue and Haanif Cheatham. We've had coaches pull up stakes and leave in the middle of the night. MU will get past this.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

onepost

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2019, 04:51:46 PM »
He’s not entirely wrong...

When the entire team pleaded with Wojo to make changes and none were made, it's not a Hauser-specific issue.
When multiple guys are continuing to mull departures and it's up to other coaches to convince them to stay, it's not a Hauser-specific issue.

So sure, because they were the ones with the balls to actually follow through with this frustration and make a statement, I'll concede he's not "entirely" wrong.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2019, 04:54:59 PM »
I’m not saying not to fire Wojo.  I voted for it in this poll.  But I disagree with not discussing potential replacements.  That’s precisely what these boards are for.  It’s no different than discussing roster construction.
Agreed actually.  I don't mind hypothesizing which replacements may be out there - no harm in that whatsoever.  What I'm arguing against (apologize if it's not clear) is Wojo supporters making this the crux of the entire situation. 

"If you don't have a 100% sure-fire, slam-bang, can't miss guy, ready to take us to a Final Four in Year 1 who is waiting at the front door of The Al wearing a Marquette Polo; well we might as well just stick with Wojo"

Such a misguided, terrible, unimaginative train of thought.  With that train of thought we'd have never hired Buzz.  We may have never hired Al McGuire!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2019, 05:02:23 PM »
Agreed actually.  I don't mind hypothesizing which replacements may be out there - no harm in that whatsoever.  What I'm arguing against (apologize if it's not clear) is Wojo supporters making this the crux of the entire situation. 

"If you don't have a 100% sure-fire, slam-bang, can't miss guy, ready to take us to a Final Four in Year 1 who is waiting at the front door of The Al wearing a Marquette Polo; well we might as well just stick with Wojo"

Such a misguided, terrible, unimaginative train of thought.  With that train of thought we'd have never hired Buzz.  We may have never hired Al McGuire!

I agree with that.  Fortune favors the bold.  I’m more curious to what the thinking is from people about exactly who they think Marquette can get versus who they want.  If recent Big East coaching searches are a clue, I think they’ll be a lot of disappointed folks

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2019, 05:05:28 PM »

My understanding from Wojo supporters is if MU fires him that MU will have to abandon D1 hoops because no one would coach MU's crappy program. I guess MU tricked a great coach like Wojo to come to MU, so we can never let him go.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2019, 05:34:10 PM »
When the entire team pleaded with Wojo to make changes and none were made, it's not a Hauser-specific issue.
When multiple guys are continuing to mull departures and it's up to other coaches to convince them to stay, it's not a Hauser-specific issue.

So sure, because they were the ones with the balls to actually follow through with this frustration and make a statement, I'll concede he's not "entirely" wrong.
You state all of this as if its known fact. Who were the multiple guys, when did these multiple times occur, who else is mulling, who are your sources.  Just posting something a million times doesn't make it true.  I thought you were "one post Johnson"

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2019, 05:46:15 PM »
I'm trying to picture what it looks like for an entire team to plead to a coach to change how he coaches.  Is it right in the middle of practice, like a protest where all the players speak up in unison right in front of Markus?  Or was it in individual meetings with Wojo, each one having the player stand up to the coach, telling Wojo he doesn't know what he's doing?

It sounds like the discussions were forceful and emotional. Must have been crazy to witness for whoever was there to see it and later tell people about it.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2019, 05:50:32 PM »
I love how pant-craptingly defensive much of the fire Wojo camp gets when you calmly ask what they think should happen in the immediate wake of theoretically dismissing a coach in the middle of April. Its as if it makes you a better, more passionate fan for refusing to think rationally and methodically.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2019, 05:51:14 PM »
You state all of this as if its known fact. Who were the multiple guys, when did these multiple times occur, who else is mulling, who are your sources.  Just posting something a million times doesn't make it true.  I thought you were "one post Johnson"

Onepost is spot on...as far as the who etc, and sources etc...you should know better...you don't name sources, that's how you lose info.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2019, 05:58:12 PM »
Al McGuire: I am not running a democracy.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2019, 06:04:55 PM »
For me, Wojo has to either deliver on a successful season on the court or get a stacked 2020 recruiting class, or else I think we have to pull the plug.

Everything was building up to this year and then we’d be rolling beyond that. This year took a hit and if we hang out on the bubble and have an early exit, Wojo doesn’t have a lot to show for his tenure.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2019, 06:06:33 PM »
Willie-

Should Wojo be fired tomorrow, who do you think Marquette should hire?  Who are the top 3 choices
I am certainly not aware of all who might be interested, but I am sure they are out there. How about Barnes, he is looking. How about making a run at the guy from Wichita State. How about Wardle. How about Dawkins, since we seem to love the Duke pedigree. Hell what about Hoiberg. If he would go to Nebraska, MU could get him with the resouces. YThey would all be upgrades to Wojo, and they all can coach.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.