Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Should Wojo Be Fired?

Fire Wojo
Retain Wojo

Author Topic: Poll: Post Hiroshima  (Read 26029 times)

onepost

• All American
Re: Poll: Post Hiroshima
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2019, 02:33:04 PM »
If the rumors are true, what should Wojo have done to make his life easier?

I'm not in the business of college coaching so I'm not familiar with what exactly it takes to appease egos and conflicting ideologies on the court, but when you're paid millions of dollars/year at a high major program, I expect YOU to be familiar.  If that takes sitting Markus at the end of games when he goes against this to prove you mean it, great.  If that means having a one-on-one sitdown with Markus to establish that things must change and we are/will be better for it, great.

There's a reason a number of guys have left, want to leave, or are still considering leaving, and it's that they don't trust this coach and this coaching staff.  Wojo needs to earn back that trust, but when things are so contentious among your best players and leaders that it becomes a "him or us" line in the sand, that's 100% on Wojo.  There's no arguing it.  Figure out how to keep in place the team you worked so hard assembling.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2019, 02:34:14 PM »
Looks like results will mirror the first poll.

Vocal minority.

The first poll was what, like 85-15 in favor? This is like 65-35 in favor. Not sure it's a mirror when the size of the vocal minority has doubled.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2019, 02:36:00 PM »
The first poll was what, like 85-15 in favor? This is like 65-35 in favor. Not sure it's a mirror when the size of the vocal minority has doubled.

It was 8-2 when I posted.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2019, 02:37:10 PM »
It was 8-2 when I posted.

Vocal minority growing quickly.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2019, 02:41:31 PM »

I flipped my vote to "Fire Wojo", but I don't think Wojo should be fired right now.  I guess my threshold for what he needs to accomplish in 2020 is just higher now.  Top 25 ranking most of the year, at least one NCAA win, AND at least two big time 2020 recruits.  Otherwise, he gowne.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2019, 03:03:48 PM »
I flipped my vote to "Fire Wojo", but I don't think Wojo should be fired right now.  I guess my threshold for what he needs to accomplish in 2020 is just higher now.  Top 25 ranking most of the year, at least one NCAA win, AND at least two big time 2020 recruits.  Otherwise, he gowne.

I also flipped. Honestly, I wouldn't be against him going now. I never imagined I would've said that even a week ago. I think anything short of meeting pre-Hauser expectations for 2019-20 (top-15, competing for league title, advancing significantly in NCAA) warrants the end.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2019, 03:05:01 PM »
Again, I watch UCLA go through how many before they get to Cronin.    Who is the coach at SJU?   Who did VTech end up with?   The only coaching change that went as planned was Buzz to TAMU.    If Wojo was cut loose now, it would be the modern equivalent of getting Dukiet.      Unless Stan stepped up.    And even then, once again, MU is hiring an unproven assistant.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2019, 03:13:09 PM »
Again, I watch UCLA go through how many before they get to Cronin.    Who is the coach at SJU?   Who did VTech end up with?   The only coaching change that went as planned was Buzz to TAMU.    If Wojo was cut loose now, it would be the modern equivalent of getting Dukiet.      Unless Stan stepped up.    And even then, once again, MU is hiring an unproven assistant.

He's getting one more year regardless so it doesn't matter what we theorize, although axing Wojo and giving Stan the interim title wouldn't be the worst thing IMO.
But at the heart of all of these problems is Steve Wojciechowski, and it's very clear he's not the guy.  Rip the band-aid off and find the right guy in 2020.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2019, 03:27:41 PM »
Stan is not the answer. Many in here have fallen in love with him and I simply do not get it. Another guy never mentioned for any real job openings. If Stan was the answer, he would not be at MU today.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2019, 03:35:42 PM »
Stan is not the answer. Many in here have fallen in love with him and I simply do not get it. Another guy never mentioned for any real job openings. If Stan was the answer, he would not be at MU today.

Backup QB syndrome. Same rational that leads people to believe MU won't miss Joey because of Bailey.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2019, 03:38:22 PM »
RJax

It is deeper than that. College ball is big business and potential stud coaches do not sit on second seat on a bench for a long period of time. If MU’s resurgence under Wojo has real legs, Stan would have been hot commodity this year.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2019, 03:39:57 PM »
He's getting one more year regardless so it doesn't matter what we theorize, although axing Wojo and giving Stan the interim title wouldn't be the worst thing IMO.
But at the heart of all of these problems is Steve Wojciechowski, and it's very clear he's not the guy.  Rip the band-aid off and find the right guy in 2020.
This.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2019, 03:44:00 PM »
All for retaining him for this season. He performs, extend him. He doesn't perform, fire him. No more limbo. This year should tell all.

This.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2019, 03:45:51 PM »
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2019, 03:55:05 PM »
I think some people around these parts are just wildly unrealistic.  Marquette is a nice program and will continue to be a nice program.  We are not a blue blood, or frankly anywhere near a blue blood. And that is OK.

Wojo is a good recruiter, and probably a pretty good coach.  These things take time to build.  The Hauser situation is an absolute gut punch, but it is what it is now.  Two days ago everyone through we had a consensus top 10 team.  Things are pointed in the right direction, and switching course now is insane, and also never going to happen. 

Just enjoy the guy we have.  The grass is not always greener. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2019, 03:56:58 PM »

I'm not saying he's the answer.  I'm saying I personally am done with Wojo so when asked what EYE would do, I would get rid of Wojo and give Stan the interim title for this season.  I realize it won't happen and many won't agree, but that's MY opinion.  You see how it goes and then regroup and again, find the right guy in 2020.  I think the guys respect Stan more than Wojo and have heard a few things suggesting such.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2019, 03:58:37 PM »
J5

I asked TAMU if we were a top ten when all the early polls came out and he stated top 15. Those polls are very misleading because a lot of turnover in upcoming weeks. Vegas had us at 18 in regards to odds. That probably was realistic at the time, and could have gone lower.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2019, 03:58:49 PM »
I think some people around these parts are just wildly unrealistic.  Marquette is a nice program and will continue to be a nice program.  We are not a blue blood, or frankly anywhere near a blue blood. And that is OK.

Wojo is a good recruiter, and probably a pretty good coach.  These things take time to build.  The Hauser situation is an absolute gut punch, but it is what it is now.  Two days ago everyone through we had a consensus top 10 team.  Things are pointed in the right direction, and switching course now is insane, and also never going to happen. 

I think the grass can at least be a little greener than losing two of the cornerstones of your program a few weeks after your team dropped 6 out of 7 to end the season and got blown out in the NCAA Tournament.

How exactly are things pointed in the right direction?  If this is the “right” direction, I’d hate to see the wrong one!

onepost

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2019, 03:58:55 PM »

No, they're not.
Yes, in this case it is.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2019, 03:59:06 PM »
I would get rid of Wojo and give Stan the interim title for this season.

Yeah recruits love interim coaches.  Great idea.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2019, 04:01:58 PM »
Yeah recruits love interim coaches.  Great idea.

Seeing as the guy is responsible for a good amount of our HS recruiting as well as recruiting our current players to see things through, I think there are worse ideas.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2019, 04:03:48 PM »
Seeing as the guy is responsible for a good amount of our HS recruiting as well as recruiting our current players to see things through, I think there are worse ideas.

Come play for me the year after I get replaced.

OK!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 04:06:38 PM by TallTitan34 »

williewarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2019, 04:03:58 PM »
I look at what is happening at SJU right now and think the MU fanbase is deluding themselves to think the search would be any different for Marquette.  Particularly at this point of the process.    He gets one more year.
Excuses.

williewarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2019, 04:05:02 PM »
He can't? Maybe. But that sounds more like a prediction than a fact. You may not like it, but the reality is that you have to give him the opportunity to recover. If he doesn't, he will be gone. If he does, you might have yourself a coach.
More excuses.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2019, 04:05:24 PM »
Onepost

Yeah, Brian Wardle.

feedback