[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What I heard  (Read 32382 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: What I heard
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2019, 08:00:02 PM »
Faith that the program was going to have March success under Wojo. Faith that next year wasn't going to be a redux of the final seven games. Faith that next year was going to be more than just the Markus Howard show.

How are you so sure they gave a crap about team accomplishments? Koby and Greg were coming to take some of the ball handling duties off Markus yet they still left. It wasn’t about team success, it was about their careers.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2019, 08:00:59 PM »

Sam was much better than Markus in those games.
Not really
And Joey didnt belong on the court.  Was it Seton Hall where Joey lireally handed them the ball on like 6 Straight plays?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2019, 08:03:31 PM »
Not really
And Joey didnt belong on the court.  Was it Seton Hall where Joey lireally handed them the ball on like 6 Straight plays?

First four possessions to start the game and wasn’t removed. Almost like he too had a long leash. Hmmmm.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2019, 08:04:05 PM »
Like when he turned the ball over on the first four possessions of the game to clinch the Big East?

Literally each of the first four possessions.

How can you complain about Markus’ long leash when the Hausers also we’re given a long leash?

Instead of talking about "long leashes" or a few turnovers look at the facts. Markus's usage was off the charts high in our swoon and his Ortg sucked. Sam was much better overall and light year's better if you throw out Creighton.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2019, 08:08:20 PM »
Instead of talking about "long leashes" or a few turnovers look at the facts. Markus's usage was off the charts high in our swoon and his Ortg sucked. Sam was much better overall and light year's better if you throw out Creighton.

Umm not really
Markus sucked down the stretch but Sam was right next to him and Joey was an absolute s#it show
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2019, 08:09:50 PM »

I must have missed when Sam was carrying us down the stretch? 

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2019, 08:15:40 PM »
Not really

That was Creighton
Bring back FFP!!!

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2019, 08:16:27 PM »
How are you so sure they gave a crap about team accomplishments? Koby and Greg were coming to take some of the ball handling duties off Markus yet they still left. It wasn’t about team success, it was about their careers.
Its interesting to me that you seem to want to pin this on Joey and believe the team is happy to see them go. 

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2019, 08:21:06 PM »

Honestly, take a step back. We watched Sam Hauser for three years. In that time, did you ever get the impression that he was anything but a team guy?

Hell, most here during his tenure wished he was more selfish. And, when he was limping around in the NIT games last year, was he doing that for his own benefit?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2019, 08:23:21 PM »
I must have missed when he was given the opportunity to do so.

I know we will miss two guys who shot over 40% from 3 and rebounded well for their position. 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2019, 08:29:31 PM »
Honestly, take a step back. We watched Sam Hauser for three years. In that time, did you ever get the impression that he was anything but a team guy?

Hell, most here during his tenure wished he was more selfish. And, when he was limping around in the NIT games last year, was he doing that for his own benefit?

Not sure why everything has to be such an either or. He can be a great guy, team player, unselfish, wants his team to be successful, etc., and still feel his best chance to make the NBA is by going somewhere else.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2019, 08:36:12 PM »
Not sure why everything has to be such an either or. He can be a great guy, team player, unselfish, wants his team to be successful, etc., and still feel his best chance to make the NBA is by going somewhere else.

Why are you assuming that the transfer out is about his NBA chances?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2019, 08:47:59 PM »
Why are you assuming that the transfer out is about his NBA chances?

Because I am. I know that sounds dumb, but Quite frankly it’s what it should be about IMO. May not get there, but both should at least have the aspirations, and I assume they do.

That said, the way the roster was set up for next year, they’re probably doing the right thing. I firmly believe both would’ve seen reduced minutes and rolls.

There doesn’t necessarily need to be a villain(s) in this. Has anyone considered the possibility that Wojo and Hauser family discussed as adults and they made the decision they thought was best?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 08:51:45 PM by NavinRJohnson »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2019, 08:49:30 PM »

Final 7 games ORtg averages:

Sam :    108.3
Markus:   94.6
Joey:       93.0

Not only was Markus awful, he had an unbelievably high usage rate (41%). IOW, the worse he sucked the more he chucked. And the team collapsed.

Sorry if the numbers don't jibe with your (or Sandy's) recollection but there they are.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2019, 08:56:45 PM »
Because I am. I know that sounds dumb, but Quite frankly it’s what it should be about IMO. May not get there, but both should at least have the aspirations, and I assume they do.

That said, the way the roster was set up for next year, they’re probably doing the right thing. I firmly believe both would’ve seen reduced minutes and rolls.

There doesn’t necessarily need to be a villain(s) in this. Has anyone considered the possibility that Wojo and Hauser family discussed as adults and they made the decision they thought was best?

Who has the hashtag #LeagueMe?  Not Joey or Sam.  Markus does.  Dude he dominated the ball, not what anyone signed up for and Wojo is OK with it.  Look at his offenses over the years; Carlino dominated the ball, Ellenson, Rowsey...that was out of necessity.  This team was balanced.  But Wojo let Markus go for broke and it broke.  Good or bad.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2019, 08:58:28 PM »
let me start with the guys he's not going to guard
1. Ja Morant
2. ...

I can see Joey guarding Ja Morant.

After all, I saw it live & continue to see it on highlight reels every week.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2019, 08:58:52 PM »

There's no way Sam's role was going to be diminished. He had a legit shot at being a first team all Big East pre-season selection. He was going to play 30+ minutes a night.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2019, 09:03:39 PM »
What I heard...

It may not be over yet.  More dominos may fall. 

Take it for what it’s worth

-bad reporter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2019, 09:08:13 PM »
There's no way Sam's role was going to be diminished. He had a legit shot at being a first team all Big East pre-season selection. He was going to play 30+ minutes a night.

They were both going to play 30 plus.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2019, 09:10:06 PM »

Well, that’s what he played this year. You honestly believe with McEwen and Elliott coming in, and the way Bailey played late in the year that his minutes weren’t going to decrease? The math just doesn’t work. Those minutes have to come from somewhere. I love both of them (remember I’m the one arguing that  they are NBA prospects), but those more athletic guys were going to be on the floor. You can only play 5 guys at a time.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2019, 09:14:05 PM »
They were both going to play 30 plus.

I know. But, hey, whatever makes you feel better about the Hausers leaving.

I'm sure Sam was fearful about losing minutes to Bailey. It's silly.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2019, 09:15:00 PM »
What I heard...

It may not be over yet.  More dominos may fall. 

Take it for what it’s worth

-bad reporter

What I heard from my daughter (she is a student) is the student basketball managers have been talking for at least a month that this was possible.  One more could transfer.  Not everyone on the team is upset at what transpired today, despite a general liking of the Hauser brothers.

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

tower912

• All American
« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2019, 09:17:46 PM »
Well, that’s what he played this year. You honestly believe with McEwen and Elliott coming in, and the way Bailey played late in the year that his minutes weren’t going to decrease? The math just doesn’t work. Those minutes have to come from somewhere. I love both of them (remember I’m the one arguing that  they are NBA prospects), but those more athletic guys were going to be on the floor. You can only play 5 guys at a time.

Yup.   I have a sneaking suspicion that it had become clear that the starting line up next year was going to be Koby, Markus, Sacar, Sam, and Theo.   Bailey got better down the stretch, particularly defensively.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2019, 09:18:13 PM »

On Sam, no chance.

I agree that Joey could have been pushed, but I figured this off-season would have been his chance to add much needed strength.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2019, 09:23:45 PM »
What I heard from my daughter (she is a student) is the student basketball managers have been talking for at least a month that this was possible.  One more could transfer.  Not everyone on the team is upset at what transpired today, despite a general liking of the Hauser brothers.

Any further details you would care to provide?

Especially with regards to who was not upset