[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tough Questions Need To Be Asked  (Read 41009 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Tough Questions Need To Be Asked
« on: April 15, 2019, 01:38:28 PM »
Next man up and all that, this is a ridiculous blow for MU for next year. To me, Sam has been the player MU could least afforded to have lost over the last two seasons, and now he's gone from a top 5/top 10 team with gigantic hopes for next year. I was ready for Joey to make the leap like Sam did going from frosh to soph. Can't be overstated, this is a massive, massive blow to MU.

Serious questions need to be asked.

-WTF happened? Three of the biggest recruits that Woj landed have left on bad terms. Henry was going pro no matter what, but I don't think the Ellenson's are sending Christmas cards to Woj.

-The body language police certainly noticed something looked wrong at points during the BE season, from Joey "hitting the wall" to Sam not looking happy or as interested at points. What was going on behind the scenes?

-The disaster that was the end of season, is what was going on behind the scenes explain what happened?

-How does Woj recover from this? We joke on here that "this will help recruiting", but this will be a significant strike against Woj on the recruiting trail. Losing two of your core players going into a season as a projected top ten team? That doesn't just happen, something smells really rotten here.

No matter how it's spun, this is a brutal day for MU basketball.

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Tough Questions Need To Be Asked
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 01:43:59 PM »
I just dont understand.

Two players with legit NBA chances next year are transfering and delaying the payday because they hate Wojo/Howard that much?

I cant think of any other reason a 3 year starter would transfer away from a top 5 team.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 01:46:50 PM »
I just dont understand.

Two players with legit NBA chances next year are transfering and delaying the payday because they hate Wojo/Howard that much?

I cant think of any other reason a 3 year starter would transfer away from a top 5 team.

Maybe too soft and just can't take criticism? 

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 01:47:18 PM »
-How does Woj recover from this?

I'm not sure he does.  You can't fire him now, both because of the lack of replacement, and because you can't show that any one (or two) players are bigger than the program as a whole, but unless something really special happens next March, he could very well be looking for a new job.  If you fire him now, it shows that he's gone because of the transfers, and I would only fire him because of result (or lack thereof).  My expectations for next year have not changed, only my optimism that they can be achieved.

I don't want to bash any of the parties unless I know all of the facts (which I don't, and no one here does), but this one hurts. 

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 01:47:51 PM »
Maybe too soft and just can't take criticism?
not saying this is the case for the hausers but some players just cant handle not being the man

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 01:48:06 PM »
I just dont understand.

Sam Hauser has a legit NBA chance?  That's news to me.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 01:49:14 PM »
Why can’t the questions begin with the players?

Why is it Wojos fault immediately?

Did Henry thrive with the Pistons?
Not wojos fault Joey couldn’t hold onto the ball in crunch time.

As of now Jamal Cain has stuck it out being reduced in his role
Matt Heldt was praised all year
Markus wanted to come back for a senior year.

Maybe it’s egos, maybe some kids think they are better than they are, maybe it’s controlling parents, maybe some people don’t want to stay.

Idk why this immediately goes to Wojo. It’s a really weird look from the other side as well. Sit a year to play 1? Maybe waste a full season if you’re Joey? Have your brother come to play for a coach you don’t like? The Herro rumors?

There’s a lot that it could be.

Let’s hope the rest of the roster wants to be here and we are fine
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 01:49:20 PM »
I’m leaning towards getting rid of Wojo now. Next year will be all Howard anyway. When Wojo eventually leaves it’ll be like buzz all over again with the bare cupboard and staying one year too late. Let Stan be the interim coach and you’ll have a full year to get someone.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 01:50:21 PM »
not saying this is the case for the hausers but some players just cant handle not being the man

Joey got every opportunity to succeed as a Freshman with an extraordinary long leash considering his turnover and defensive issues.

I don’t think Sam is that kinda player at all, almost think he took a hit for little bro by choosing to transfer as well.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 01:53:19 PM »
I don’t think Sam is that kinda player at all, almost think he took a hit for little bro by choosing to transfer as well.

You have things reversed.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 01:53:41 PM »
I just dont understand.

Maybe Sam -- who knows a hell of a lot more than I do about what is going on with the program -- doesn't think that this is a top 5 team.  That's what really worries me.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 01:54:09 PM »
What’s shocking to me is Sam.  He has been such a key piece for 3 years, and the type of kid you live to have on your team.  How do you let it come to be that he decides he needs to go elsewhere?  What was he asking for that you could not deliver? 

The only possible explanation to me is Joey is driving this.  I could see him deciding to leave as he has a few years left and maybe decided Marquette was not the place for him.  But Sam agreeing to go to- I’ll never understand.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 01:56:32 PM »
Maybe Sam -- who knows a hell of a lot more than I do about what is going on with the program -- doesn't think that this is a top 5 team.  That's what really worries me.

They realized that a one-man show isn't a top 5 team. And, it seems, they had no hope that Wojo would fix that.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 01:57:15 PM »
Cam Marrotta is coming back as a grad asst.  Assessment: Joey doesn't like being coached, and Sam likely wants one more opportunity to let it fly before going to play in Israel or Japan.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Miss Katie’s

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 01:58:42 PM »

Are you able to share what you know?

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2019, 02:00:00 PM »
I’m leaning towards getting rid of Wojo now. Next year will be all Howard anyway. When Wojo eventually leaves it’ll be like buzz all over again with the bare cupboard and staying one year too late. Let Stan be the interim coach and you’ll have a full year to get someone.

If they fire Wojo today, I highly doubt Stan agrees to stay on as a stop-gap.  Maybe mid-season for the sake of the players, but not today.

I'd be interested to know what insight Scholl gets from the players and their families in situations like these?  If he's hearing directly from the players and their families, as well as the coaches, he may be able to recognize patterns.  But if his understanding of their issues are all coming second-hand through the coaching staff, any problems definitely wouldn't be as clear. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2019, 02:00:23 PM »
Are you able to share what you know?

I don't know, but his response seemed pretty clear.  Sam wants to leave and Joey is following.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2019, 02:01:50 PM »
Joey got every opportunity to succeed as a Freshman with an extraordinary long leash considering his turnover and defensive issues.

Absolutely he is taking a hit. A guy that's on the cusp of maybe being an NBA player one day, taking a full year off and having to shake off some rust with a new program. Have to imagine they're both feeding into each other's thoughts about leaving and it all came to a boiling point. Sure Markus was playing hero ball, similar to Rowsey the previous year.

MU had a damn good run this year before things fell apart. Makes me wonder if a few of the early losses in that losing streak affected culture between the Hausers, Wojo and maybe Markus. Just kept snowballing from then on. It's all pretty odd.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2019, 02:02:13 PM »
If they fire Wojo today, I highly doubt Stan agrees to stay on as a stop-gap.  Maybe mid-season for the sake of the players, but not today.

I'd be interested to know what insight Scholl gets from the players and their families in situations like these?  If he's hearing directly from the players and their families, as well as the coaches, he may be able to recognize patterns.  But if his understanding of their issues are all coming second-hand through the coaching staff, any problems definitely wouldn't be as clear.
This is what bothers me. No way people who make decisions about the direction of the program were blindsided by this. Couple that with our epic collapse and you wonder why a change wasn’t made.
No Finish Line

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2019, 02:02:19 PM »

We have a winner.   

It's a total crap sandwich, but Marquette needs to start over at this point. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2019, 02:03:28 PM »

Gonna PM you cause I’m hearing the opposite from my people.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2019, 02:04:00 PM »
They realized that a one-man show isn't a top 5 team. And, it seems, they had no hope that Wojo would fix that.

Who knows if it could be top 5.

But Purdue was a miracle away from a final four and Carsen Edwards chucks even more than Markus and his supporting players were Cline(far less talented all around player than Sam), a starter that legit walked on and a 7 foot 125 lb center.

It can work. Purdue’s players bought in.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2019, 02:07:34 PM »
Hmmmmm...

Eojo od the man
 The apologists must now go into overdrive
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2019, 02:14:32 PM »
I saw Borzello tweet that he texted with Sam, and Sam will sit one to play one, and he and Joey will be a package deal where ever they end up.

I just can not get over a Big East preseason first team candidate, a player from Wisconsin, at a potential Final Four quality squad, deciding he'd rather go sit some place for a year, rather than come back and finish his senior year, which could have been one of the most memorable in Marquette history.

I don't think it's overstating to say this is very damning. That doesn't even account for Joey, who was going to be the face of the program starting in 2020/2021.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2019, 02:16:38 PM »
The espn article was posted somewhere else, but was pretty clear...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26530869/marquette-losing-hauser-brothers-transfer

Sam Hauser told ESPN that he and his brother are planning to go to the same school.
Sam Hauser will have to sit one year before playing his final season because he will not be a graduate transfer. Joey Hauser will have three years of eligibility after sitting out next season.

"We are thankful for all that Sam and Joey contributed to our program and University during their time at Marquette and wish them the best of luck in the future," head coach Steve Wojciechowski said in a statement. "We have a tremendous group of returning players and are extremely excited about the upcoming season and future of our program."