[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tough Questions Need To Be Asked  (Read 41008 times)

LAZER

• All American
Re: Tough Questions Need To Be Asked
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2019, 02:17:33 PM »
Does anyone know what the specific complaint from the Hausers is?  Was there an ultimatum given to Wojo?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2019, 02:17:48 PM »
I saw Borzello tweet that he texted with Sam, and Sam will sit one to play one, and he and Joey will be a package deal where ever they end up.

I just can not get over a Big East preseason first team candidate, a player from Wisconsin, at a potential Final Four quality squad, deciding he'd rather go sit some place for a year, rather than come back and finish his senior year, which could have been one of the most memorable in Marquette history.

I don't think it's overstating to say this is very damning. That doesn't even account for Joey, who was going to be the face of the program starting in 2020/2021.

Also, Sams NBA chances just got tougher.

He’s gonna be 23 now by the time his draft rolls around.

Will be 24 first couple months of his would be rookie year.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2019, 02:18:15 PM »
I saw Borzello tweet that he texted with Sam, and Sam will sit one to play one, and he and Joey will be a package deal where ever they end up.

I just can not get over a Big East preseason first team candidate, a player from Wisconsin, at a potential Final Four quality squad, deciding he'd rather go sit some place for a year, rather than come back and finish his senior year, which could have been one of the most memorable in Marquette history.

I don't think it's overstating to say this is very damning. That doesn't even account for Joey, who was going to be the face of the program starting in 2020/2021.

This

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2019, 02:18:41 PM »

It’s personal eh?
No Finish Line

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2019, 02:19:47 PM »
Also, Sams NBA chances just got tougher.

He’s gonna be 23 now by the time his draft rolls around.

Will be 24 first couple months of his would be rookie year.

Ah, so he went from 5% chance to 2% chance.  Hope he enjoys Europe.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2019, 02:27:22 PM »
Lots of stuff here.

First, all Sam did was a reverse Robert Jackson. If people wondering why any 3-year player would sit out a year before finishing up and are looking for a precedent, there it is. Jackson was a 3-year contributor at a P6 school who left Mississippi State to play his senior year elsewhere. In Jackson, he was going "home." Sam is leaving "home." Jackson even got a Final Four out of the deal; maybe Sam will, too, especially if he ends up at Virginia.

As to why Wojo is bearing the lion's share of the blame, he's the CEO. It happened under his watch, plain and simple. I've been one of his biggest supporters on Scoop, but this definitely significantly reduces my confidence in his ability to build and sustain a long-time winning program.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2019, 02:31:06 PM »

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2019, 02:33:08 PM »
Big time.
I don't see how it could be anything else.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2019, 02:34:00 PM »
https://twitter.com/charlesppierce/status/1117869800309420033?s=21

If this is true and Joey was complaining about not getting up as many shots as Markus is absolutely ridiculous, that’s on him. Good riddance and don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

Sam I can see the gripe, but outside of a few games towards the end of the year it’s not like he was missing them.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 02:38:18 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

nyg

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2019, 02:36:23 PM »

If this is true, Joey was complaining about not getting up as many shots as Markus is absolutely ridiculous, that’s on him.

Sam I can see the gripe, but outside of a few games towards the end of the year it’s not like he was missing them.

Like I said earlier, Markus gonna end up being labeled as the bad guy.  Just pitiful. 

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2019, 02:38:01 PM »
If I'm on the BOT, I would start with, "Why the $%@! didn't we hire Howland?"

MU_CHI

• Walk-On
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2019, 02:38:56 PM »

If this is true, Joey was complaining about not getting up as many shots as Markus is absolutely ridiculous, that’s on him.

I believe the way Markus was playing was not necessarily attainable and it created bad habits towards the end of the year. I don't think Joey would be complaining about getting as many shots as Markus (Sam neither), but it was a function of how they were getting their shots. Wojo had made it pretty clear that Markus was able to shoot wherever and whenever and not running a more balanced attack lost us games down the stretch and created a really poor relationship between all the parties.

It's at least partially on Wojo to not be able to sort that out.

connie

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2019, 02:42:04 PM »
I believe the way Markus was playing was not necessarily attainable and it created bad habits towards the end of the year. I don't think Joey would be complaining about getting as many shots as Markus (Sam neither), but it was a function of how they were getting their shots. Wojo had made it pretty clear that Markus was able to shoot wherever and whenever and not running a more balanced attack lost us games down the stretch and created a really poor relationship between all the parties.

It's at least partially on Wojo to not be able to sort that out.
It should have been on Wojo when he couldn't stop the slide.  This is just the fallout--unfortunately.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2019, 02:42:32 PM »
At this point, any extension of the Wojo regime delays the inevitable. 

This has the same feeling of the Mike McCarthy contract extension circa 2018.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2019, 02:48:43 PM »
I don't know anything about what goes on inside the program, but this just seems like a gigantic middle finger from the Hauser family to (I guess?) Wojo.

This whole thing just sucks, I don't know how many times the Hauser parents/grandparents were shown in the crowd on TV, but it seemed like a lot. They always had MU gear on and were (rightfully) cheering on their boys.

The Hauser family isn't dumb, they knew what MU has/had set up for next year. I mean maybe Wojo lucks out and gets a grad transfer who can play, and Torrance reclassifies, but man does this not sit well, and stinks to holy hell of something bigger at play. I feel like I'm repeating myself in these posts, but the ramifications of this are going to stay with Wojo for a long, long time (if he's still at MU).

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2019, 02:51:37 PM »
I don't know anything about what goes on inside the program, but this just seems like a gigantic middle finger from the Hauser family to (I guess?) Wojo.

This whole thing just sucks, I don't know how many times the Hauser parents/grandparents were shown in the crowd on TV, but it seemed like a lot. They always had MU gear on and were (rightfully) cheering on their boys.

The Hauser family isn't dumb, they knew what MU has/had set up for next year. I mean maybe Wojo lucks out and gets a grad transfer who can play, and Torrance reclassifies, but man does this not sit well, and stinks to holy hell of something bigger at play. I feel like I'm repeating myself in these posts, but the ramifications of this are going to stay with Wojo for a long, long time (if he's still at MU).
Agreed, I don't see how Wojo survives this. Recruiting just became almost impossible.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2019, 02:54:02 PM »

So what is Wojo supposed to do in this situation? Hand the whiteboard over to Mr Hauser? This ultimately all falls on Wojo, but it seems like the Hausers put him in an impossible situation.  His alternative is tell Markus to take a backseat and let the team know that the Hausers call the shots? 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2019, 03:00:56 PM »
So what is Wojo supposed to do in this situation? Hand the whiteboard over to Mr Hauser? This ultimately all falls on Wojo, but it seems like the Hausers put him in an impossible situation.  His alternative is tell Markus to take a backseat and let the team know that the Hausers call the shots?

I think you constantly have to be re-recruiting your own players to try to avoid situations like this. It's one thing if this was one player, but this was two core players (it's not lost on me that they are brothers). I don't think you're necessarily wrong, but the buck stops with Wojo. Hindsight being what it is, there were significant smoke signals happening over the last month at least. I don't have good answers, you can't let David Hauser run your program, but you can't unintentionally run off two of your best players either. The truth probably lies in the middle.

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2019, 03:01:04 PM »
As pointed out, the Hausers must've had a really good reason to leave considering everything happening here.   Everything I've heard is that Sam was (rightfully IMO) not pleased with how Wojo refused to rein in Markus at the end of the season (watch the SH game after Markus's return for reference).   So for the me the toughest question that needs to be asked is what happened from the time that Markus announced his return, to the time the Hausers announced their departure?   I can't imagine the Hausers making that kind of a decision without a major catalyst.   So after Markus announces, did Sam/Hausers approach Wojo and ask/demand that Wojo rein in Markus more next year?   Did Wojo then tell the Hausers that he would utilize Markus in the same way, triggering their decision?   I wouldn't think the Hausers would make this kind of choice without a major sit-down with the coach about next year.   So did Wojo effectively choose Markus over the Hausers? 

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2019, 03:01:33 PM »
Agreed, I don't see how Wojo survives this. Recruiting just became almost impossible.

Recruits like minutes. Seems like it would help recruiting.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU_CHI

• Walk-On
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2019, 03:01:51 PM »

I don't think he should have told Markus to take a backseat but he needed to put the the reigns on him a bit and force them to run a more balanced attack, which I believe ultimately would have led to more sustained success and not this huge 2nd half of the season drop off.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2019, 03:10:50 PM »
Markus put up a lot of bad shots during the season. The difference was in the last 8 games. They didnt go in.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2019, 03:11:21 PM »
Recruits like minutes. Seems like it would help recruiting.
Ok then, keep your head in the sand.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2019, 03:14:05 PM »
Markus put up a lot of bad shots during the season. The difference was in the last 8 games. They didnt go in.

You could say the same for Sam and Joey at the end of the season.  OK, maybe theirs were "good shots" that didn't go in.  But getting the ball through the hoop is the important part of the game.  Not like any of those three excelled at the end of the year.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2019, 03:15:36 PM »
It is amazing how a few days ago we were tempering the national Media's expectations saying its the same team so the same thing will happen-WHICH IT PROBABLY WOULD HAVE-Joey was a TO machine and Sam ya know he still had alot of shots this year I dont know what better opportunity is out there for him-Either way I wish them the best of luck.

On pure basketball alone I do not think this team would have done much more against teams like Murray State or teams like St John's next year either-Something had to change. NONE of us wanted this change I feel like more of us would have preferred MH go pro....

Probably somewhere in here is Wojo saying MH you gotta stay and MH was aware this could happen as a result. The team's chemistry was gone...Do I think Morrow getting MORE minutes is bad-NO. I also see Bailey and Cain as pretty quick and immediate replacements for Sam.

We are propping these guys up as game changers where at the end of the year JH was pretty awful in all reality-Tons of potential sure but his timeline for improvement was not as long as the coaches.

This is college basketball now-Hopefully this is the last xfer. My bigger concern is what this does to local recruiting.

feedback