[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Notre Dame Cathedral burning in Paris  (Read 5686 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Notre Dame Cathedral burning in Paris
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2019, 06:36:07 PM »
Crown Thorns are only broken out at Easter too.

I've been there twice but not in a long time:1986 & 1994.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 06:37:44 PM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2019, 09:16:20 PM »
Tragic
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2019, 10:12:54 PM »
Gutted

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2019, 10:37:45 PM »
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 10:46:05 PM by muhoosier260 »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2019, 09:05:50 AM »
cue every white girl in America posting pictures from when she studied abroad in Paris for a semester

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2019, 09:16:27 AM »
cue every white girl in America posting pictures from when she studied abroad in Paris for a semester

Gatekeeping who's allowed to mourn the partial loss of one of the most iconic symbols in human history? 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2019, 09:57:10 AM »
Gatekeeping who's allowed to mourn the partial loss of one of the most iconic symbols in human history?

Mourning? Sure.  Using it as an excuse to post your selfie tossing up a kissy face with your bestie?  Bit hollow IMO.  Friend of mine posted an IG picture of her in front of Notre Dame with a caption of how her heart was breaking and the memories...less than an hour later had an IG story about Monday Funday happy hour with her coworkers doing shots

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2019, 10:03:18 AM »
Mourning? Sure.  Using it as an excuse to post your selfie tossing up a kissy face with your bestie?  Bit hollow IMO.  Friend of mine posted an IG picture of her in front of Notre Dame with a caption of how her heart was breaking and the memories...less than an hour later had an IG story about Monday Funday happy hour with her coworkers doing shots

Throwing up selfies would be in poor taste, but all the social media stuff I've seen has just been pictures of the facade, rose windows etc. with the captions of how much the building means to the world.   I also have a lot of friends that are really into art/architecture/photography/history so I might not be seeing the full spectrum of whats been posted.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2019, 10:46:46 AM »
Most of the stuff I see is just an excuse to tell people how they went to Paris once.

Everyone is allowed to mourn.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2019, 10:50:44 AM »
Most of the stuff I see is just an excuse to tell people how they went to Paris once.

Everyone is allowed to mourn.
mind reader now?To many, it's one of the most important buildings in the world (me included). It's truly a sad day for me. I lived in France for nearly 2 years between college and law school. My heart aches.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2019, 11:04:10 AM »
mind reader now?To many, it's one of the most important buildings in the world (me included). It's truly a sad day for me. I lived in France for nearly 2 years between college and law school. My heart aches.

I guess I'm the only one who sees the absolute narcissism everywhere in social media

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2019, 11:16:50 AM »
I guess I'm the only one who sees the absolute narcissism everywhere in social media

Only if you take a pessimistic view of what they are doing.  Most people are simply sharing an experience with their friends.  No different then sharing photos of a vacation from back in the day, only now you can do it instantly.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2019, 11:18:55 AM »
The Cathedral is owned by the Government of France.  The Catholic church has a permanent lease and responsible for its upkeep.

So its "landlord" is the French Government.  Presumably, they will shoulder the cost of rebuilding.

Also, the questions about why the Cathedral was allowed to fall in such disrepair (which it was) will fall to the "landlord" again.

Already more than 700 million donated.  I would be surprised if that number finishes under 2 billion.  Finances won't be an issue.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2019, 12:46:29 PM »
Thoughts and prayers for ND-Paris

Its too soon to talk about laws restricting the ownership of fire,though

#Building'sLivesMatter#
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 12:50:55 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2019, 02:38:25 PM »
Already more than 700 million donated.  I would be surprised if that number finishes under 2 billion.  Finances won't be an issue.

Its in pretty stark contrast to what they were able to raise to repair the roof.  Only when a fire starts, and people can see what happens do they open up their purse strings.

Interesting world we live in.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2019, 02:45:13 PM »

When I visited Auschwitz, people were taking selfies.  Wtf?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2019, 03:01:02 PM »
When I visited Auschwitz, people were taking selfies.  Wtf?

On my two separate visits I couldn't even bring myself to take a photo inside the gas chamber.  Just couldn't.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2019, 03:33:58 PM »
On my two separate visits I couldn't even bring myself to take a photo inside the gas chamber.  Just couldn't.

Yeah we left the camera at the hotel for that entire day trip. It is not that kind of visit.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2019, 04:19:11 PM »

No, but they are also same people using the terms "destruction", "burned down", "can't believe its gone".

Literally saw it was burning and used it to chase likes/comments.  I'm sorry for your pain, for the pain of many French, and those who truly have personal connections to it.  Many more do not. 

I was looking through pictures today and felt relief and hope because, save for "The Forest" and the roof, it could have been SOO much worse.  Interior photos were almost startling in how much worse I expected.  The towers, the rose windows, the vast majority of the structure were all spared significant damage.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2019, 04:33:23 PM »
No, but they are also same people using the terms "destruction", "burned down", "can't believe its gone".

Literally saw it was burning and used it to chase likes/comments.  I'm sorry for your pain, for the pain of many French, and those who truly have personal connections to it.  Many more do not. 

I was looking through pictures today and felt relief and hope because, save for "The Forest" and the roof, it could have been SOO much worse.  Interior photos were almost startling in how much worse I expected.  The towers, the rose windows, the vast majority of the structure were all spared significant damage.

I was also very happy today to learn that it appears that it will be incorrect to say that "Notre Dame was destroyed by fire."  It was "severely damaged" by a fire, but it hasn't been destroyed.  Like you, I was surprised by how good things looked inside.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2019, 06:37:36 PM »

thank you, my friend

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2019, 08:41:23 AM »
I was also very happy today to learn that it appears that it will be incorrect to say that "Notre Dame was destroyed by fire."  It was "severely damaged" by a fire, but it hasn't been destroyed.  Like you, I was surprised by how good things looked inside.

Once repairs are done (which will be significant, and probably take 5-10 years) it will be impossible to tell the new from the old. It will be exactly as it was. Funding is already pouring in.

The loss of 850 year old timber and the roof/spire is sad, but overall, it could have been much, much worse. The cathedral was not destroyed, not by a long stretch.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2019, 08:48:49 AM »
https://news.yahoo.com/legendary-notre-dame-roof-astounded-middle-ages-carpenter-193127331.html

^ The timbers took 50 years of "seasoning" before they were even installed circa 1250.

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2019, 08:58:05 AM »
The New York Times describes what happened in a detailed yet concise information graphic using a 3-D model that provides the imagery, and rotation and zooming highlight the relevant points.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/04/17/world/europe/notre-dame-cathedral-fire-spread.html

feedback