[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Goodbye McCormick Hall......New "hotel"/dorm ideas....  (Read 42103 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Goodbye McCormick Hall......New "hotel"/dorm ideas....
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2019, 09:45:47 AM »
“Not really sustainable in the first place” is the entire motto of the Lovell tenure. Budget, fundraising, enrollment, etc. Ambitions way exceed capabilities.

Probably why Wojo has a long leash. At least that part of the enterprise is functioning somewhat well.

Better to be ambitious than complacent.  With that Eye sore gone, at bare minimum, a green space can be created.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2019, 09:52:52 AM »
Better to be ambitious than complacent.  With that Eye sore gone, at bare minimum, a green space can be created.

No one thinks McCormick should have stayed. And the problem isn’t the ambition. It’s the ambition with large price tags and strategies that aren’t realistic in the current climate.

Betting big bucks now on future enrollment growth down the line was an insane strategy. Relying on major fundraising while hiring three development VPs because they can’t meet your outsized goals is dumb.

I’m not arguing for complacency. I’m arguing for sound strategy that has a basis in reality and not just in Mike Lovell’s head.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2019, 10:13:15 AM »
Will be a great location for future building(s).   I'm all for waiting and building scholarship endowments as the primary goal.  If it is going to remain green space for a while, I'd hope they really do something with it - e.g. a beer garden, food collective for the spring, summer, fall would be great... bands, etc.  Maybe even a smaller permanent pub and ice skating, in the winter.

Is a new business school still discussed to built in that spot dead?  In the long run, residence hall or hotel would be a better fit for that area.  I know that a hotel would have issues with how the income is earned, but I'm sure there are ways around that.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2019, 10:42:48 AM »

Is a new business school still discussed to built in that spot dead?  In the long run, residence hall or hotel would be a better fit for that area.  I know that a hotel would have issues with how the income is earned, but I'm sure there are ways around that.

As far as a hotel, SLU turned their old hospital into one, so I it has certainly been done. I am not sure if that's the highest and best use for that spot, however.
Have some patience, FFS.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2019, 11:28:30 AM »
MU would be best advised to settle down on construction as prices are skyrocketing in the region.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2019, 12:34:19 PM »
PTM:  Agreed, if they can.  It won't keep going like it is, if history is any guide, and it is.   So, it will should be cheaper to build in the future.  I also worry about quality at this point in the building cycle, too any projects chasing too little knowledge/experience.   But it is also easier to raise money now when times are good and people feel flush than it will be when it is cheaper to build in the future.

Warrior Chick:  McCormick is a prime location, agreed.  Should be a flagship type of MU building.  But, it would also be a prime spot for a hotel.  That would be a great spot for visitors, alumni, etc.  Very visible for non-MU types as well.  But, if not at that spot, then an MU hotel at another spot would be nice - but it can't be on the fringes to work well.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2019, 12:37:25 PM »
What ever goes in, it needs a 24 hour Real Chili.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #107 on: October 20, 2019, 12:38:43 PM »
PTM:  Agreed, if they can.  It won't keep going like it is, if history is any guide, and it is.   So, it will should be cheaper to build in the future.  I also worry about quality at this point in the building cycle, too any projects chasing too little knowledge/experience.   But it is also easier to raise money now when times are good and people feel flush than it will be when it is cheaper to build in the future.

Warrior Chick:  McCormick is a prime location, agreed.  Should be a flagship type of MU building.  But, it would also be a prime spot for a hotel.  That would be a great spot for visitors, alumni, etc.  Very visible for non-MU types as well.  But, if not at that spot, then an MU hotel at another spot would be nice - but it can't be on the fringes to work well.

Is it that much of a pain to stay at a hotel a mere 10 blocks east of campus?  Lots of hotels down there with more to do.  In my opinion a hotel would be down the list of priorities.

Agree with your comments on the fund raising and building cycles.  Could always fundraise now, build later to take advantage of the economic timing.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2019, 02:26:08 PM »
Is it that much of a pain to stay at a hotel a mere 10 blocks east of campus?  Lots of hotels down there with more to do.  In my opinion a hotel would be down the list of priorities.

Agree with your comments on the fund raising and building cycles.  Could always fundraise now, build later to take advantage of the economic timing.

More like 4-6 blocks.  The Ambassador is at 23rd and Wisconsin, and their are several hotels near 6th and Wisconsin.  Potowatomi is technically only a few hundred feet from campus since it is across the street from Valley Fields.

It would be one thing if there was a huge shortage of decent places to stay in close proximity to campus (as is the case with SLU), but that's not the case. 
Have some patience, FFS.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2019, 02:42:59 PM »
More like 4-6 blocks.  The Ambassador is at 23rd and Wisconsin, and their are several hotels near 6th and Wisconsin.  Potowatomi is technically only a few hundred feet from campus since it is across the street from Valley Fields.

It would be one thing if there was a huge shortage of decent places to stay in close proximity to campus (as is the case with SLU), but that's not the case.

Having lived across the street from the Ambassador, I just can’t get my head to staying there.  I know it is pretty nice, but I would much rather stay by the river and ultimately the lake.

But agree with you, there is no need for hotels.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2019, 02:45:38 PM »
I’d have absolutely 0 interest at a hotel in the dead center of a college campus unless it’s next to a football field or basketball arena and I’m attending a game there. Given that we don’t have a football team and we play basketball off campus neither of those are an issue.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2019, 03:26:49 PM »
Having lived across the street from the Ambassador, I just can’t get my head to staying there.  I know it is pretty nice, but I would much rather stay by the river and ultimately the lake.

But agree with you, there is no need for hotels.

That was a long long time ago, campus has changed a lot since you probably last stepped foot.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2019, 03:35:38 PM »
I’d have absolutely 0 interest at a hotel in the dead center of a college campus unless it’s next to a football field or basketball arena and I’m attending a game there. Given that we don’t have a football team and we play basketball off campus neither of those are an issue.

Oh, come on. Let’s build a hotel there, and maybe an art instillation and some cool fountains too. I mean, MU has so much prime real estate at its disposal we can use land in the middle of campus to attract tourists instead of helping recruit students and improve campus life.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2019, 04:51:02 PM »

A few things.....When exactly is the last time you’ve been to SLU? A hotel at 16th and Wisconsin for MU would not be the best use of that space for MU. Not enough demand. Needs to be a space that can be used by many MU students and community.

SLU is located in an area of the city called Midtown. There is over $1billion in development going on in the area. Your previous post mentioned SLU selling their old hospital to turn it into a hotel. Do you mean Water Tower Inn/Salus Center? 20 years ago SLU bought a vacant 50 year old hospital near its Medical campus (Incarnate Word Hospital South Side) renovated it to make part of it a hotel for visiting SLU people, a gym, and University space. That was short lived 20 years ago. Today it’s home to SLU’s school of Public Health and other.

People who stayed at SLU’s hotel many years ago liked it but it wasn’t a desired location. Many said it was clean, spacious, good service all that, discounted for SLU families etc..but often the desire was to stay in an area with other things going on. It was more of a have to work at SLU Medical etc...kind of thing. This was quite some time ago.  And it was marketed exclusively to SLU connected people.....The area immediately surrounding MU is not a place where many come in and do business such as Cortex at SLU, or near other entertainment or other hotels or tourist attractions etc...such as Grand Center N of SLU or Union Station E of SLU.

SLU and Marquette are apples and oranges when it comes to campus footprints. SLU is over 300 acres. MU is over 100 acres. SLU has also been re-developing 400 additional acres near its campus. Similar to MU, in SLU recently completed 2 new dorms in prime campus locations and remodeled a 3rd.

There are many hotels on SLU’s campus, or within the same distance to SLU’s campus as the Ambassador is to the Al Center: Hotel Ignacio, Angard Arts Hotel, Residence Inn Marriott, Courtyard Marriott, Drury Inn, Pear Tree Inn, Fairfield Inn (new), Element by Westin (new), Aloft by Marriott (new).....all diff directions.....if you go slightly over that distance, which is just over a mile, another Drury, Home2Suites by Hilton, Holiday Inn, ........this doesn’t count the dozens and dozens of hotels that are closer to downtown which is anywhere from about 2 miles or so from SLU, or other directions such as CWE/Forest Park. Four Seasons, Hyatt, Hilton, etc....There will also be a new hotel on campus at City Foundry site 40/64 and Grand Ave, as well as next to the new $550 million hospital and medical center in a larger mixed use development which includes housing, retail.  There have actually been 13 new and counting hotels in the area.

SLU is a founder of the highly popular and successful West neighboring Cortex Innovative District. .....so this is immediately West of their campus with a new Metrolink Light Rail stop there as well. Immediately North is the Grand Center arts and theater district.....immediately East is newly redeveloped Union Station. And it will be home to the new 30,000 seat MLS soccer stadium w/new hotels. .....immediately South past SLU’s own redeveloped Metrolink, City Foundry Armory district and light rail stop is all of their Medical hospital development on the South end. ....MU doesn’t have all of these things going on surrounding its campus.

These are just a few of the things that have been going on near SLU just the past 5 years.

https://www.slu.edu/news/2016/november/redevelopment-plan-released.php

If there isn’t enough student housing, make it that. Otherwise make it something can be used by a broad, diverse spectrum of students for a long time.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 07:59:10 AM by shoothoops »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2019, 04:52:38 PM »
Building a hotel on campus would be a poor idea. Too much local competition.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2019, 05:33:18 PM »
End of an era.  Fantastic memories, but the ugliest building on campus will make way for something more attractive.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2019, 06:43:52 PM »
That was a long long time ago, campus has changed a lot since you probably last stepped foot.

Well, I was there three times last year, twice the year before, twice the year before.  I have one child that is a student there now and fly in at least once a year to see old friends, colleagues from the athletic dept, etc.

;)

I have little interest in staying on campus.  School doesn’t need a hotel.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2019, 07:37:12 PM »
End of an era.  Fantastic memories, but the ugliest building on campus will make way for something more attractive.

Lalumier Hall would beg to differ. And no fantastic memories for me in there other than turning in my last final exam as an undergrad.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2019, 07:23:29 AM »

Lalumier and the wehr buildings are exponentially worse.
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #119 on: October 21, 2019, 07:59:35 AM »
Jesus people, the answer is obvious:

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #120 on: October 21, 2019, 08:11:07 AM »

Yep.  Shut it down.
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #121 on: October 21, 2019, 08:18:26 AM »

There's never been a more appropriate use of photoshop
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #122 on: October 21, 2019, 09:08:07 AM »
Well, I was there three times last year, twice the year before, twice the year before.  I have one child that is a student there now and fly in at least once a year to see old friends, colleagues from the athletic dept, etc.

;)

I have little interest in staying on campus.  School doesn’t need a hotel.

Then I'll eat crow here.  And I 100% agree.  A hotel would be an awful idea.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #123 on: October 21, 2019, 09:08:47 AM »
Lalumier Hall would beg to differ. And no fantastic memories for me in there other than turning in my last final exam as an undergrad.

100% Lala is a stain that must be cleansed!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #124 on: October 21, 2019, 09:26:23 AM »

Lalumier and the wehr buildings are exponentially worse.

100% Lala is a stain that must be cleansed!

While I don't disagree with any of you (and in fact, that was my first thought as well when I read WarriorDad's post), it is undignified to debate which if the 1/10s still in the bar at closing time is the ugliest.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.