[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

When you combine Hoops + Social Scene, what was the best decade to attend MU?

The 60's --- One year of football
3 (2%)
The 70's --- Everything was socially acceptable + Al
69 (45.7%)
The 80's --- Hoops went down hill but 100 bars plus block party
20 (13.2%)
The 90's --- OK basketball but look out another bar closes every 20 minutes
9 (6%)
The 2000's --- We went to a Final Four and they tore down Hegs & the Gloc
33 (21.9%)
The 2010's --- Some basketball success, many Ubers to Water Street
17 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 151

Author Topic: Best Era to Attend MU  (Read 14422 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Best Era to Attend MU
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2019, 09:30:28 AM »
Grass, Food, and Lodging

Yipes!

Blondie, Ma, and big breasted Sue

Sneaking 10 kegs into Schroeder via the Saga basement door

Saga

Crazy Mary, Chopper, and the Lead Pipe tape

Kicking ND’s a$$ in SB, and calling Kelly Tripuka “horseface” in the middle of
The South Quad at 2am.

Ron Cuzner

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2019, 09:35:24 AM »
This was during the interview?

Haha no, this was well after he started working for me.
Have some patience, FFS.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2019, 10:06:43 AM »
Looking back at the time period I voted for, the Glock and Hegs were still around the whole time, and the campus hadn't gotten its beautification underway until I was a Senior... The 'lanche's building was still there, but abandoned.  There was still some definite grit to the campus, but it was slowly being polished away.  The new library wasn't completed until my Senior year, and the old Union still stood my Freshman year.  I feel like my time at Marquette was a huge time of transition.  Cell phones weren't common until I was a Junior... everyone used AOL instant messenger to contact each other.  Facebook didn't even exist until the very end of my time at school, and even when we signed up, only Marquette and UW-Madison email addresses were activated.  The walls at OD were shaking every morning until dusk; the pile driver creating the foundation at the new school of dentistry.  Naylor was still waxing poetic about Lou Reed on a weekly basis, and Brian Wardle was heaving threes from behind the arc.  There was talk about this freshman who was lighting up Wardle in practice as well.  Then the second semester rolled around and there was a basketball player in my English class (which was located in the old gym for some reason).  On the first day of class the professor asked us to go around the room and tell everyone your name, your major, and what you wanted to be when you graduated.  This basketball player was closest to the door and went first.  "My name is Dwyane Wade, I'm a Communications major, and I'm going to be an NBA basketball player".  Slight eye rolls went around the room, along with sarcastic smiles.  The rest of the class followed with their answers, but of course Dwyane's response was something I will always remember.  This was a guy who didn't even get to play his Freshman year of basketball, and was so confident that he would become an NBA player, that he unapologetically announced it to a class of his peers, knowing the response he would get.  I had never seen someone so confident in my entire life until that point.  Later in the semester, we edited each other's work, and I saw him once at a party and said, "What' up?".  "Not much, man." and a head nod.   I only wish that a camera had been in that room on the first day of class with Dwyane to capture that moment.  I have my memory, but it was something you see in a movie during the origin story of an all time great. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2019, 10:25:57 AM »
One of my very closest friends made it her goal to go out for at least one beer every night of our final semester.   Mission accomplished.

Good goal, and great accomplishment!

My "accomplishment" was going out every night of every finals week for my entire time at Marquette.

There is one small asterisk -- one of the nights my second semester junior year I was sick as a dog. But by that time I had to keep the streak alive, so I dragged my arse to the Midget Tavern (which was kitty-corner to our dive of an apartment), ordered a 35-cent Schlitz tap (served in a 7 oz glass), took about 3 sips and left.

Oh, there is another asterisk -- as a journalism major I didn't have nearly as many final exams as those in other majors did because most of our finals were writing assignments, photography projects, etc. But as is the case with a basketball team's schedule, as a "player" I could only play the games on the schedule!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2019, 10:29:27 AM »
Good goal, and great accomplishment!

My "accomplishment" was going out every night of every finals week for my entire time at Marquette.

There is one small asterisk -- one of the nights my second semester junior year I was sick as a dog. But by that time I had to keep the streak alive, so I dragged my arse to the Midget Tavern (which was kitty-corner to our dive of an apartment), ordered a 35-cent Schlitz tap (served in a 7 oz glass), took about 3 sips and left.

Oh, there is another asterisk -- as a journalism major I didn't have nearly as many final exams as those in other majors did because most of our finals were writing assignments, photography projects, etc. But as is the case with a basketball team's schedule, as a "player" I could only play the games on the schedule!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2019, 10:46:10 AM »

Hey man, it's at least as genuine as A.C. Green's streak was, though I will admit I wasn't celibate during my streak, so he's got me there!

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2019, 11:22:00 AM »
Why isn't the next four years an option?
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2019, 11:24:03 AM »
one thing missing for the 80's and beyond:  Tent city camping out for season tickets.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2019, 11:28:31 AM »
Why isn't the next four years an option?

I know you're trying to be hilarious here, and I want to laugh, but I honestly don't get what you are saying.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2019, 11:46:47 AM »
Grass, Food, and Lodging

Yipes!

Blondie, Ma, and big breasted Sue

Sneaking 10 kegs into Schroeder via the Saga basement door

Saga

Crazy Mary, Chopper, and the Lead Pipe tape

Kicking ND’s a$$ in SB, and calling Kelly Tripuka “horseface” in the middle of
The South Quad at 2am.

Ron Cuzner

Wow. Those are some memories, Chili.

Was a big fan of GF&L. I never understood why but Milwaukee had a big bluegrass scene. And GF&L was one of the best. There was a summer Bluegrass Festival in one of the nearby small towns on a lake.

During flight school I was back in MKE to see the fiance and crew while the bluegrass fest was going on.  I had to decline joining because I was subject to piss testing. You could see where the event was from the plume of blue smoke.

Cuzner was a genuine Milwaukee treasure. Spent a lot of time doing chemistry problems to him at Zero Dark Thirty.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2019, 12:02:06 PM »
Wow. Those are some memories, Chili.

Was a big fan of GF&L. I never understood why but Milwaukee had a big bluegrass scene. And GF&L was one of the best. There was a summer Bluegrass Festival in one of the nearby small towns on a lake.

During flight school I was back in MKE to see the fiance and crew while the bluegrass fest was going on.  I had to decline joining because I was subject to piss testing. You could see where the event was from the plume of blue smoke.

Cuzner was a genuine Milwaukee treasure. Spent a lot of time doing chemistry problems to him at Zero Dark Thirty.

If you’re a bluegrass fan check out Billy Stings. Easily my favorite in the scene right now. The kid absolutely rips.

Plus he’s from Michigan which is tight
Bring back FFP!!!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2019, 12:23:33 PM »
GF&L. One of two good decisions Glow has made to date.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2019, 12:43:53 PM »
From the article:

Although Marquette did not make the top 10 overall list, Playboy editors gave Marquette the “best Catholic party school” designation for several different reasons.

Marquette’s large student body, good sports, abundance of local bars and Milwaukee location gives students numerous social opportunities, Mazeika said.

Mazeika said editors chose Marquette because it “has the full package.”

“Whether that’s kegs and eggs for the basketball games, big house parties, attending a Brewers game or a brewery tour, we feel that Marquette students have deservedly earned this title,” Mazeika said.

Mazeika also said Marquette exemplifies the age-old mantra of “work hard, play hard.”

“We’ve heard that class attendance is strict, but the bars are always packed, which tells us that Marquette students know how to go out and have a good time and still take care of business,” he said.

And that was 2010! If they had visited the campus 25-30 years earlier, they would have found the scene to be even better (if "crazier" = better).

As aptly described by tower, the '80s were wild. Drinking age was 18, beer was ridiculously cheap, great bars everywhere around campus, Brady Street only a short distance away, the university actually encouraged dorm residents to throw keggers, and we had a bar in the student union. And I can't speak for others, but I had relatively few classes that took attendance. Plus, I was usually able to create a schedule with few (if any) classes before 11 a.m.

I used to regale my friends back home with tales about what was going on at Marquette, but I don't think most of them believed me. During my junior and senior years, a few of my HS friends visited me. They were blown away by how much fun MU was.

"You can't possibly do this every Thursday," one said.

"I can. And I do. Most Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, too. I do try to limit it only to days ending in 'y,' though."

I am sure you don't know Father Mac as he passed in '72. He taught Christian Marriage which every Catholic student at MU was required to take at the time. I am sure he is turning over in his grave that a his Catholic University has such a distinction.

How times have changed.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2019, 01:25:31 PM »
I am sure you don't know Father Mac as he passed in '72. He taught Christian Marriage which every Catholic student at MU was required to take at the time. I am sure he is turning over in his grave that a his Catholic University has such a distinction.

How times have changed.

Yes. With all the stories that people here that people are telling about drinking and party culture in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s, Father Mac was resting comfortably and didn't start turning until the 2010s  ::)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 01:34:07 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2019, 01:30:24 PM »
91- we had one post season appearance in 4 years, a road loss to penn state in NIT. Norm and I had great season tickets.  Plenty of 91 grads on here including our most passionate :)

Copacabana

• Walk-On
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2019, 03:30:24 PM »
I went to Marquette from '79-'83.

It was right after the NCAA title and we had more hope than achievements.

Glenn 'Doc' Rivers was the upside.  Lloyd 'Dinty' Moore was the downside.

And, having all those bars and block parties really helped us cope.
WE ARE LLOYD MOORE!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2019, 06:44:41 PM »
Yes. With all the stories that people here that people are telling about drinking and party culture in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s, Father Mac was resting comfortably and didn't start turning until the 2010s  ::)

I don't even know who Father Mac was. Maybe he and I drank together, though!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2019, 06:48:56 PM »
I went to Marquette from '79-'83.

It was right after the NCAA title and we had more hope than achievements.

Glenn 'Doc' Rivers was the upside.  Lloyd 'Dinty' Moore was the downside.

And, having all those bars and block parties really helped us cope.

I hear you brother.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2019, 01:34:11 PM »
If you’re a bluegrass fan check out Billy Stings. Easily my favorite in the scene right now. The kid absolutely rips.

Plus he’s from Michigan which is tight

Thanks for the rec. Checked him out and he is solid. Not sure I can catch him this tour but I will make it a point.

Cheers

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2019, 07:53:10 PM »
I can’t really compare eras because I can only speak for mine.  What stood out was the last chance, last dance, of some bars, restaurants, music venues, festivals, even, a school nickname...and some pretty good hoops. Some changes are good and for the better and some aren’t, as with anything in life. Here are some of mine:

During my 4 years at MU Rah Rah, I experienced the last Mr. Jiggles Fest, (arguably my best college experience) the last Maritime Days music festival, the last year of the old Murphys, the last year of OD’s, the last year of Wales on Wells, the last year of Giuliano’s Pizza, the last year of the Gym Bar in its old location as well as in its new location (since closed), the last Big Sky shows at the Underground, the last year of Toma’s, the last year  at The Unicorn, a few NCAA’s and a Sweet 16. I’m sure I’m forgetting several places and things. Many places also began while I was there or before I arrived, and some closed down later or are even still going. But it was an interesting time to be able to enjoy the last of so many things. I was also the last class of the Warriors nickname. There was definitely a feel of many fun off campus festivals, multiple walking distance bars on and off campus for every age group, good places to grab a burger or pizza or beers. It was a blend of the old with the beginning of the new.

Forgot to add The Green Tree, The Ardmore bar which predated The Gym (after it moved from Wells( and then Caffrey’s in same spot and Glocca Morra, The Harp, (opened it once or twice in four years and that was plenty lol) both as places open when I was there that closed during my time or at the end of my time. That’s a pretty long list above of places and events. McCormick two years, had an elusive triple Sophomore year. Good times. It was even outdated back then, lol. Never missed that cold wind tunnel in and out of there. It became coed just as I arrived.

Places that were there both before and after I arrived, Real Chili, Lanche (though closed a couple of years after my time) Hegarty’s, Conways, Old Murphs switch to new Murphs across street) Danny’s Liquor, Kampus Foods, Bryant’s, Brown Bottle, Marquette Gyros, Angelos, Wolski’s. There are a few more.  New places that popped up were Ziggie’s, a short lived pizza place on Wells near the new Murphs.

Road trips were great. One, was Madison, a friend dated a DB on the football team, just when Alvarez was getting it going, Rose Bowl team that year. UW 13 Michigan 10 first win in a long time for UW over UM, but scary finish rushing the field. 70 people trampled. Joe Panos the star lineman was near me just carrying bodies out. To this day, I am opposed to any court or field storming because of it. Tough to shake. Wild time. A few weeks later, a couple of MU South Bend buddies, and Niles, took us to ND v FSU 1v2. End of game, I am thinking here we go again, but ND was so calm and orderly, no concerns at all when they won the game.  .....went to multiple Brewer games to try to catch Robin Yount’s 3,000 the year prior. He finally did it late in a quiet game with a lined single to right. Second 3,000 hit game I saw. MU hoops road trips were fun too. Oh the KO stories in my pocket.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2019, 09:19:12 AM »
When I saw this, I thought tongue in cheek "maybe it will be the 2020s." So much for that...
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2019, 09:26:00 AM »

Forgot to add The Green Tree, The Ardmore bar which predated The Gym (after it moved from Wells( and then Caffrey’s in same spot and Glocca Morra, The Harp, (opened it once or twice in four years and that was plenty lol) both as places open when I was there that closed during my time or at the end of my time. That’s a pretty long list above of places and events. McCormick two years, had an elusive triple Sophomore year. Good times. It was even outdated back then, lol. Never missed that cold wind tunnel in and out of there. It became coed just as I arrived.

Places that were there both before and after I arrived, Real Chili, Lanche (though closed a couple of years after my time) Hegarty’s, Conways, Old Murphs switch to new Murphs across street) Danny’s Liquor, Kampus Foods, Bryant’s, Brown Bottle, Marquette Gyros, Angelos, Wolski’s. There are a few more.  New places that popped up were Ziggie’s, a short lived pizza place on Wells near the new Murphs.

Road trips were great. One, was Madison, a friend dated a DB on the football team, just when Alvarez was getting it going, Rose Bowl team that year. UW 13 Michigan 10 first win in a long time for UW over UM, but scary finish rushing the field. 70 people trampled. Joe Panos the star lineman was near me just carrying bodies out. To this day, I am opposed to any court or field storming because of it. Tough to shake. Wild time. A few weeks later, a couple of MU South Bend buddies, and Niles, took us to ND v FSU 1v2. End of game, I am thinking here we go again, but ND was so calm and orderly, no concerns at all when they won the game.  .....went to multiple Brewer games to try to catch Robin Yount’s 3,000 the year prior. He finally did it late in a quiet game with a lined single to right. Second 3,000 hit game I saw. MU hoops road trips were fun too. Oh the KO stories in my pocket.

The Green Tree every Friday and Saturday for the all you can drink to start the evening.

The Ardmore was across the street from McCormick Hall and The Gym was next to Chili and Guliano's was across the street from Chili.

I loved the walk in the wake-you-up cold to the Mecca or Bradley Center and the thought was always just make it to the parking garage under one of the Milwaukee public buildings so we could walk underground for 2 blocks out of the cold.

'91 - We have Knight Commission, Norm, NYWarrior, Cheeks and myself.  Missing anyone?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2019, 09:41:43 AM »
'91 - We have Knight Commission, Norm, NYWarrior, Cheeks and myself.  Missing anyone?

Me.  And, Topper too, I think.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2019, 02:24:56 PM »
Me.  And, Topper too, I think.

The cream of the crop!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2019, 02:50:25 PM »
The cream of the crop!

The cream of the top...per.