[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

When you combine Hoops + Social Scene, what was the best decade to attend MU?

The 60's --- One year of football
3 (2%)
The 70's --- Everything was socially acceptable + Al
69 (45.7%)
The 80's --- Hoops went down hill but 100 bars plus block party
20 (13.2%)
The 90's --- OK basketball but look out another bar closes every 20 minutes
9 (6%)
The 2000's --- We went to a Final Four and they tore down Hegs & the Gloc
33 (21.9%)
The 2010's --- Some basketball success, many Ubers to Water Street
17 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 151

Author Topic: Best Era to Attend MU  (Read 14423 times)

The Lens

• All American
Best Era to Attend MU
« on: April 11, 2019, 01:29:07 PM »
As a 97 grad, I feel like I caught the tail end of the real Marquette.  What is the best time to have attended MU?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

swoopem

• All American
Re: Best Era to Attend MU
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 01:31:45 PM »
Any time that had 1977 in it. The Dead were on fire and MU was cutting down nets. Doesn’t get any better
Bring back FFP!!!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 01:32:22 PM »
Just wanna say there's two decades completed in this century. 2000 MU to 2019 MU probably have very little in common seeing as my 2009 MU is considerably different that the MU I graduated let alone now

Maybe divide that up?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 01:36:00 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 01:33:20 PM »
Da 70's, man. Tuition wuz affordable, hoops were fantastic, and luv wuz free, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 01:35:20 PM »
Just wanna say there's two decades completed in this century. 2000 MU to 2019 MU are worth of a break there.

fixed.  didn't realize I could add a 6th option
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 01:39:05 PM »
Da 70's, man. Tuition wuz affordable, hoops were fantastic, and luv wuz free, aina?
60s.  Tuition was even cheaper, Al was there too and the hoops were getting good.  And those were the hippie days.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 01:47:01 PM »
fixed.  didn't realize I could add a 6th option

Not sure which my vote went to. Personally I wouldn't trade my era with except maybe the 70s.

Additional Pros: 2nd best stretch of BBall, Milwaukee being revitalised, texting made bar/party hopping easier, original four lokos and just wider variety of alcohol, weed was much stronger on average than the old days, Tinder/Bumble/Hinge for all those youngsters now, they've brought back the big concert in the mall as well,

Cons: Most of the campus bars torn down, no championship or FF, drinking age 21, starting my junior year underage drinking penalties got a lot more intense,  post 2014 no Marquette Gyros, tuition
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 01:49:06 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 02:04:54 PM »
My timing was perfect.  Freshman during the 73-74 season, trip to the Final Four & national championship game v. NC St.

Junior during the 75-76 season, tremendous team but lost to Bobby Knight's undefeated, national champs in Mideast regional final in Philly.

Senior during the 76-77 season, won it all in Atlanta.

Best of all, drinking age was 18; 15 cent draft beer at Lenny's Tap!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 02:05:18 PM »
80's for the music

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 03:32:41 PM »
Not sure which my vote went to. Personally I wouldn't trade my era with except maybe the 70s.

Additional Pros: 2nd best stretch of BBall, Milwaukee being revitalised, texting made bar/party hopping easier, original four lokos and just wider variety of alcohol, weed was much stronger on average than the old days, Tinder/Bumble/Hinge for all those youngsters now, they've brought back the big concert in the mall as well,

Cons: Most of the campus bars torn down, no championship or FF, drinking age 21, starting my junior year underage drinking penalties got a lot more intense,  post 2014 no Marquette Gyros, tuition

RIP to a real one
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 03:52:32 PM »
RIP to a real one

Possibly the most underrated MU spot of the last 50 years. 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 03:59:01 PM »
Hegarty's, Dwyane Wade, Renee Row, Steve Novak, McCormick Hall, no MUPD, The Corner, O'Brady's, Pirate House, brand spanking new Al McGuire Center, $10 30 packs of High Life Light, $55 student season tickets

The aughts were lit

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 04:14:32 PM »
I can’t really compare eras because I can only speak for mine.  What stood out was the last chance, last dance, of some bars, restaurants, music venues, festivals, even, a school nickname...and some pretty good hoops. Some changes are good and for the better and some aren’t, as with anything in life. Here are some of mine:

During my 4 years at MU Rah Rah, I experienced the last Mr. Jiggles Fest, (arguably my best college experience) the last Maritime Days music festival, the last year of the old Murphys, the last year of OD’s, the last year of Wales on Wells, the last year of Giuliano’s Pizza, the last year of the Gym Bar in its old location as well as in its new location (since closed), the last Big Sky shows at the Underground, the last year of Toma’s, the last year  at The Unicorn, a few NCAA’s and a Sweet 16. I’m sure I’m forgetting several places and things. Many places also began while I was there or before I arrived, and some closed down later or are even still going. But it was an interesting time to be able to enjoy the last of so many things. I was also the last class of the Warriors nickname. There was definitely a feel of many fun off campus festivals, multiple walking distance bars on and off campus for every age group, good places to grab a burger or pizza or beers. It was a blend of the old with the beginning of the new.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 04:20:00 PM »
1979-1983:

We were the Warriors
Drinking age was 18
Cheap beer everywhere, bars everywhere on and around campus
great time for music, concerts in the Varsity Theater
Sam Worthen, Michael Wilson, Artie Green, Doc Rivers, Marc Marotta
Park Avenue, The Palms

The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2019, 04:22:05 PM »
Hegarty's, Dwyane Wade, Renee Row, Steve Novak, McCormick Hall, no MUPD, The Corner, O'Brady's, Pirate House, brand spanking new Al McGuire Center, $10 30 packs of High Life Light, $55 student season tickets

The aughts were lit

You forgot Angelo’s. RIP
Bring back FFP!!!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2019, 04:22:27 PM »
Every era was great to attend Marquette.  It's f*cking Marquette!!!

But seriously, I'm sure most of us had a great time and enjoyed the experience.  Don't wish for something else.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2019, 04:22:43 PM »
I think shorthoops is right, we can really only speak to our own experience. I loved my Marquette experience but my parents attended in the 80s. They have some stories that certainly make it sound like it was the time to be at MU.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2019, 04:24:33 PM »
1979-1983:

I almost forgot: $2 all-you-can-drink beer at the Greentree on Thursdays
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2019, 04:26:55 PM »
I almost forgot: $2 all-you-can-drink beer at the Greentree on Thursdays

or nickel taps at Good Time Charlie's

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2019, 04:39:22 PM »
60s.  Tuition was even cheaper, Al was there too and the hoops were getting good.  And those were the hippie days.

I'm probably all wet, but from what pictures I have seen of the MU campus today compared to the 60s it seems to me that MU is in Milwaukee and not so much of Milwaukee. There was so much of the city that was intermeshed with the MU "campus" back then: the dorms next to private residences; the science and engineering buildings across from local bars and grills and even a service station with a mechanic. City folks, not just MU students went to see a movie at the Varsity theatre and there was a family run laundromat on the corner of 12th and Wells. That was just one aspect of my Marquette education that was not taught in any text book or classroom. I got to experience what it was like to live in Milwaukee and be apart of that neighborhood and made friends with many of the establishment owners that were "on Campus".

I hope that is still true.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2019, 05:14:49 PM »
or nickel taps at Good Time Charlie's

I worked for Danny and Bernie when they doubled the price to dime beer on Thursday.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2019, 05:16:49 PM »
1979-1983:

We were the Warriors
Drinking age was 18
Cheap beer everywhere, bars everywhere on and around campus
great time for music, concerts in the Varsity Theater
Sam Worthen, Michael Wilson, Artie Green, Doc Rivers, Marc Marotta
Park Avenue, The Palms

Mug Rack
Summer Fest hit its prime
Stoned Toad
The Underground
Riverside

This is a nice history of nightclubs from many of the eras.
https://onmilwaukee.com/music/articles/deadandgoneclubs.html

connie

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2019, 05:17:59 PM »
Any time after the 60's when the drinking age was 18, although I prefer the 80's.

It is a sad, sad drive down Wells and State these days.  Nicer on Wells, maybe.  But sad.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2019, 05:42:22 PM »
The best time was whenever you were there. For me, that was '66-70. As muwarrior69 pointed out, Marquette and the surrounding neighborhoods were blended. To use a word that seems to have fallen out of use, it was really funky. My senior year I had an efficiency apartment in an ancient building on N.15th Street with a gas stove that literally exploded slightly every time I lit the oven. I would toss in a match and quickly run into the main room. It also had a tiny built in refrigerator that ran off a large compressor in the basement.

I rarely missed a basketball game. It was always a big party in the student section. Once when Marquette got hit with at least 5 fouls in the first 5 minutes, a 2 legged megaphone nicknamed, appropriately, The Mouth, bellowed out "the refs are a bunch of Protestants!"  I remember Bio 101 classes in the Varsity and meeting up with profs in the Grandmora, a Victorian era apartment building converted into profs' offices. All the floors were buckled Big Time. I absolutely loved Marquette, spending plenty of time with girlfriends, drinking beer and going to  parties. I guess I should say I enjoyed all my classes too. Well, most of them. On a more serious note, Marquette changed me forever and is an integral part of who I am today. I always loved the team and today it is my way to stay connected to Marquette and relive some of the best years of my life.   
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 05:45:25 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2019, 06:03:14 PM »
I graduated in 1975 and of course voted for the 70's.

feedback