[Today at 09:50:49 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[Today at 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

When you combine Hoops + Social Scene, what was the best decade to attend MU?

The 60's --- One year of football
3 (2%)
The 70's --- Everything was socially acceptable + Al
69 (45.7%)
The 80's --- Hoops went down hill but 100 bars plus block party
20 (13.2%)
The 90's --- OK basketball but look out another bar closes every 20 minutes
9 (6%)
The 2000's --- We went to a Final Four and they tore down Hegs & the Gloc
33 (21.9%)
The 2010's --- Some basketball success, many Ubers to Water Street
17 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 151

Author Topic: Best Era to Attend MU  (Read 14424 times)

war1980rior

• Team Captain
Re: Best Era to Attend MU
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2019, 05:13:50 PM »
If it's not when you went, you didn't do it right!

Loved my time in the 70s, and '77 made it a perfect start.  I do think this decade will close well, something for all of us to love.

Great years to come at MU!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2019, 09:43:40 PM »
I used to see those lists of "best party schools in the USA," and my reaction was always, "Really? Better than Marquette?"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2019, 10:29:10 PM »
I used to see those lists of "best party schools in the USA," and my reaction was always, "Really? Better than Marquette?"

Hey when I was in school Playboy rated us "Best Catholic Party School"

Also while TAMU is never listed as a top party school, the party culture at SEC football schools is legendary....but mostly false bravado. Some of them are real "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" type scenarios
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2019, 10:40:08 PM »

I didn't know that.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2019, 10:50:01 PM »
1987 - 1991 don’t @ me bro

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2019, 10:56:47 PM »
Mug Rack
Summer Fest hit its prime
Stoned Toad
The Underground
Riverside

This is a nice history of nightclubs from many of the eras.
https://onmilwaukee.com/music/articles/deadandgoneclubs.html

Attic West
Starship
Radio Docs

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2019, 04:11:41 AM »
  Instead of walling ourselves off, we embrace our community."

Blondie

Francis

Dan

Micky

Archie

Mary

Lenny

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2019, 04:15:22 AM »
Pabst and Miller brewery tours. Brewers in the World Series.

And Schlitz. Their Brown Bottle room was the best of them all. They rarely cut us off and actually put out food, too. We would drink there for a couple hours while cleaning out their wurst tray.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2019, 04:18:12 AM »

Also while TAMU is never listed as a top party school, the party culture at SEC football schools is legendary....but mostly false bravado. Some of them are real "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" type scenarios

It was the arrival of the class of 2013 that sealed that title in 2010 & 2011
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2019, 06:27:08 AM »

Bring a MUHSer I would have my share of Hilltopper alums who would pop down to campus and party when they were back in town.

One night a Badger passed out in front of the keg. We put a big sign on him that read:

MADISON THAT SCHOOL SURE KNOWS HOW TO PARTY

My UW friends were blown away by our depth.  A pregame could include a brewery tour and then Bryant’s.  Parties were always pre party’d. Bars were always after bar’d.  And Opening the Harp was always the goal.  The essence was: Marquette never half @$$ed anything.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

tower912

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2019, 07:13:32 AM »
Friends from high school attended UM, MSU, ND, directionals, IU, Illinois, etc.    I would tell them stories about MU and they thought I was making it up.    I tell stories today and people think I am making it up.    The beer scene at MU in the 80's was ridiculous.   

1987, second semester, I had a poli sci class with a professor who was only at MU that semester.    (side note, Tom Copa was a senior and in that class and attended most days).    The last Friday of class with the final on Monday.    He explained what his finals are like.   He has 6 numbered essay questions, he rolls a dice twice and whatever two numbers come up are the two questions on the final.   He said he would like to have a review session, but the campus buildings are all locked over the weekend.    The class responded 'no problem, we will meet you in a bar.'    He thought we were joking.     We assured him that we would indeed meet him at Hegarty's on Sunday evening.    Hegarty's had Guinness on tap and the professor had a weakness for it, especially since it was served at room temperature.    We plied him with Guinness, he talked at length about everything he wanted for every question.      We took notes.    I boiled down an outline for each question that fit on a 3 x 5 card.  (permitted).     He showed up for the final hungover, rolled the dice twice, I aced the final.   

1988, second semester, Dr. Rhodes had lamented the passing of the old days when students would bring pitchers of beer from the Mugrack to his Friday afternoon classes.    Before our last day of class, my buddy and I went out and picked up two cases of Special Export and brought them to the 9 AM class and passed them around.   Dr. Rhodes loved it.     I grabbed a second bottle and took it to my 10 AM class with Dr. Wolfe.   I took the obligatory Friday quiz, looked at Dr. Wolfe, smiled, toasted him, and cracked open my second Special Ex of the morning.    He smiled back.    I really liked that guy.     

You tell that to someone who didn't go to MU 'back in the day' and it seems like fiction.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2019, 07:31:39 AM »
SLU doesn't have a wall around it, it does have decorative fencing in some areas on the perimeter of campus to make people walk on the paved walkways. They also closed some two-lane streets that ran through campus.  MU is definitely more integrated with the city than SLU is just based on the areas west of 16th street. Having visited there I didn't consider it any less accessible than MU but the neighborhood is sketchier that MU. Fordham, now they have a true wall one cannot see over with very few points of entry. 

I will admit to having been a big fan of the Avenue Commons project when I was a student there.

'Fence, wall, decorative border.  Call it whatever you want.' ~ DJT   ;)

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2019, 07:42:53 AM »
Friends from high school attended UM, MSU, ND, directionals, IU, Illinois, etc.    I would tell them stories about MU and they thought I was making it up.    I tell stories today and people think I am making it up.    The beer scene at MU in the 80's was ridiculous.   

1987, second semester, I had a poli sci class with a professor who was only at MU that semester.    (side note, Tom Copa was a senior and in that class and attended most days).    The last Friday of class with the final on Monday.    He explained what his finals are like.   He has 6 numbered essay questions, he rolls a dice twice and whatever two numbers come up are the two questions on the final.   He said he would like to have a review session, but the campus buildings are all locked over the weekend.    The class responded 'no problem, we will meet you in a bar.'    He thought we were joking.     We assured him that we would indeed meet him at Hegarty's on Sunday evening.    Hegarty's had Guinness on tap and the professor had a weakness for it, especially since it was served at room temperature.    We plied him with Guinness, he talked at length about everything he wanted for every question.      We took notes.    I boiled down an outline for each question that fit on a 3 x 5 card.  (permitted).     He showed up for the final hungover, rolled the dice twice, I aced the final.   

1988, second semester, Dr. Rhodes had lamented the passing of the old days when students would bring pitchers of beer from the Mugrack to his Friday afternoon classes.    Before our last day of class, my buddy and I went out and picked up two cases of Special Export and brought them to the 9 AM class and passed them around.   Dr. Rhodes loved it.     I grabbed a second bottle and took it to my 10 AM class with Dr. Wolfe.   I took the obligatory Friday quiz, looked at Dr. Wolfe, smiled, toasted him, and cracked open my second Special Ex of the morning.    He smiled back.    I really liked that guy.     

You tell that to someone who didn't go to MU 'back in the day' and it seems like fiction.

Tower, I think few things epitomized the era more than Block Parties and Friday Grill Concerts.  I can't recall who the artist was but one of my favorite stories involved Dr. Peters walking down to the Grill entrance, seeing that we were hundreds over the fire code limit, and turning right around to head back to his office to grab his coat.

To his credit, he gave me some 'advice' about that on Monday.

connie

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2019, 07:45:55 AM »

Similar time, similar experiences that I cherish (though I spent more time at the Gym).  I'd tell stories about block parties, but have no first hand knowledge.  The pre-party for the block party always seemed to win.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

MU82

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2019, 08:05:38 AM »
https://marquettewire.org/3769922/tribune/tribune-news/playboy-tdz1-ml2-mn3-university-cited-as-best-catholic-party-school-by-playboy/

From the article:

Although Marquette did not make the top 10 overall list, Playboy editors gave Marquette the “best Catholic party school” designation for several different reasons.

Marquette’s large student body, good sports, abundance of local bars and Milwaukee location gives students numerous social opportunities, Mazeika said.

Mazeika said editors chose Marquette because it “has the full package.”

“Whether that’s kegs and eggs for the basketball games, big house parties, attending a Brewers game or a brewery tour, we feel that Marquette students have deservedly earned this title,” Mazeika said.

Mazeika also said Marquette exemplifies the age-old mantra of “work hard, play hard.”

“We’ve heard that class attendance is strict, but the bars are always packed, which tells us that Marquette students know how to go out and have a good time and still take care of business,” he said.

And that was 2010! If they had visited the campus 25-30 years earlier, they would have found the scene to be even better (if "crazier" = better).

As aptly described by tower, the '80s were wild. Drinking age was 18, beer was ridiculously cheap, great bars everywhere around campus, Brady Street only a short distance away, the university actually encouraged dorm residents to throw keggers, and we had a bar in the student union. And I can't speak for others, but I had relatively few classes that took attendance. Plus, I was usually able to create a schedule with few (if any) classes before 11 a.m.

I used to regale my friends back home with tales about what was going on at Marquette, but I don't think most of them believed me. During my junior and senior years, a few of my HS friends visited me. They were blown away by how much fun MU was.

"You can't possibly do this every Thursday," one said.

"I can. And I do. Most Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, too. I do try to limit it only to days ending in 'y,' though."

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2019, 08:13:09 AM »

No one believes it when I tell them that several of the houses, including ours, used to have beer trucks parked at the house for parties.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2019, 08:40:01 AM »

Ditto.  I've noted this on Scoop before.  My brother went to MU also, class of '93.  Our Connecticut friends friends back home used to attempt jokes like we were BS-ing them with stories we'd tell.  My brother's Senior year I flew out to MU with two friends of ours who were on their Spring Break.  One went to UConn and the other Bryant College.  MU's break was a week or two earlier.  They had the time of their lives.  They couldn't believe what they experienced was a typical Marquette weekend as it was only very occasional at their respective universities.   

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2019, 08:42:48 AM »
No one believes it when I tell them that several of the houses, including ours, used to have beer trucks parked at the house for parties.
I love explaining to my non Marquette friends what a beer rep was and why we had them.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2019, 08:54:53 AM »
Michigan football played Wisconsin in Madison in either ‘89 or ‘90. My friends from back home in Detroit covered Uam football for the student newspaper, Michigan Daily. It was a noon game so after they filed their stories they came to Milwaukee to meet up with me and grab some beers. We pre-partied, went to a house party, hit Murphy’s, the ‘Lanche, and the Gym, then after bar’d. We carried two of the three home. They couldn’t stop talking in the morning about how they couldn’t keep up and how much fun they had. They still bring it up whenever I see them when I’m back home.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2019, 09:00:03 AM »
Same here. Lowest winning percentage over 4 years than at any time since before WWII, but we did get to say goodbye to the MECCA and hello to the Bradley Center. Witnessed Tony Smith's senior year, which was the best single season scoring wise until Howard broke the record this year.

Also saw the switch from Brooks to Alumni Memorial Union, closing out the Mugrack.

From my room freshman year at McCormick I could look out my window to Wells street and see Angelo's, Murphy's, Wales on Wells, O'Ds, and the Avalanche. We also still had the Ardmore, the Gym, Hegarty's, O'Paguets, Good Time Charlie's, the Statehouse and Green Tree. The Midget and Toma's I think are still around too.

Mr. Jingles Jamboree at the Domes freshman year, switched to the Lakefront by year 4. The free Maritime Days shows on the lakefront right before school started each year. Sprecker brewery nearby. Cheap bleacher seats at County Stadium for the Brewers (Paul Molitor hitting streak).

Not the best basketball but a fun time to be at MU.

When my daughter took her official Marquette tour back in March 2018, I told the tour guide I was at the first Bradley Center game so I had to visit this weekend attend the last game there.  I also mentioned that I worked in the Brooks Memorial Union and switched over to the Alumni Memorial Union mid-way through when it opened.  The tour guide told me, "wow, you were there in quite a period of change."

Mr. Jiggles Fest - My McCormick RA told our wing we had to attend as it was a day of "peace, music & 'schrooms."

Maritime Fest - Last time I saw the BoDeans out here in Connecticut 3 years ago I was speaking with Kurt Neumann after the show and recallled one of the earliest times seeing the band was at Maritime Fest.  He thanked me for the memory because he forgot that it used to be one of their annual big local gigs and was always a fun show to play for them. 

That list of places was fun! 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2019, 09:08:26 AM »
One of my very closest friends made it her goal to go out for at least one beer every night of our final semester.   Mission accomplished.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2019, 09:17:15 AM »
Awhile back I hired a guy the same age as me.   He told me about his one trip to Marquette as a college student to attend a party hosted by a guy he went to high school with.  He woke up the next morning lying alone on Tory Hill.  He had no recollection of how he wound up there. He said they didn't do stuff like that at Loyola.
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2019, 09:28:32 AM »
Awhile back I hired a guy the same age as me.   He told me about his one trip to Marquette as a college student to attend a party hosted by a guy he went to high school with.  He woke up the next morning lying alone on Tory Hill.  He had no recollection of how he wound up there. He said they didn't do stuff like that at Loyola.

This was during the interview?