[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Orlando Invitational  (Read 11765 times)

LoudMouth

• All American
Orlando Invitational
« on: April 03, 2019, 10:25:12 AM »
Davidson, Fairfield, Harvard, Maryland, Temple, USC round out the field with us and the Buzzard.

Almost have to schedule us with A&M in the first round. I can see them wanting to put teams with the P6 conferences against non P6 but hard to pass up the drama of Buzz playing Marquette

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Orlando Invitational
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 10:38:19 AM »
I hope its like when we played KO a few years back when he was USC. But sadly I could see a Buzz team pulling off an upset against a Wojo team, depending on if the players buy in.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 10:43:57 AM »
Davidson, Fairfield, Harvard, Maryland, Temple, USC round out the field with us and the Buzzard.

Almost have to schedule us with A&M in the first round. I can see them wanting to put teams with the P6 conferences against non P6 but hard to pass up the drama of Buzz playing Marquette

Marquette - Fairfield Jesuit bball face-off.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 10:48:41 AM »
Just booked my rooms for Orlando.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 11:15:10 AM »
MU/Maryland will be one/two in some fashion. A&M/USC will be 3/4 in some fashion.

If MU gets a Gavitt game, my hope would be it wouldn’t be Maryland. My guess is MU would get Michigan, but problem would be MU would need a home game and Michigan travelled last year.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 11:18:56 AM »
MU/Maryland will be one/two in some fashion. A&M/USC will be 3/4 in some fashion.

If MU gets a Gavitt game, my hope would be it wouldn’t be Maryland. My guess is MU would get Michigan, but problem would be MU would need a home game and Michigan travelled last year.

Schedule is going to be pretty tough next year. I wouldn't mind Illinois or NW at home.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 11:19:35 AM »
Buzz could have the Aggies bouncing back pretty quickly. They aren't losing any players who are top 5 in minutes on the team, just two rotation players. Admon Gilder could also come back. He sat the entire season with a blood clot in his bicep. He led the team in minutes in 17-18 when they were a 7 seed. No defections, add Gilder, plus a grad transfer or poached recruit from VT or two and he could very well have the Aggies dancing in year 1.

Still think on paper the top teams in this tournament will be Marquette, Maryland, and USC. Maryland should return everyone from a 6 seeded team unless they get some surprise defections to the NBA. USC was a trainwreck this season but brings in the number 4 recruiting class in the nation, featuring 2 5-stars. They also just landed a quality grad transfer out of Columbia.

I think they will put the P6 schools against the midamajors in the first round. But I wouldn't be surprised if they set up a Buzz vs. MU rematch in round 2. Get past them and I expect to see Maryland in the Final.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 01:35:17 PM »
I would put the chances of A&M vs. Marquette in the first round, guaranteeing 2 of Davidson, Fairfield, Harvard, and Temple playing each other, at about 0.00%.  Outside of Marquette fans (a relatively small D1 school), it's not like this is going to be some giant deal (like it would be if Rick Pittino took over some program and was going up against Louisville or something).  This matchup would be a nothing story nationally.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 01:41:45 PM »
Quite honestly, the potential Gavitt game interests me more from a scheduling standpoint. Michigan State is still exempt from Gavitt due to the Champions Classic. Maryland should be pretty good, but I would hope the potential matchup in Orlando negates a matchup in Gavitt. A Marquette/Michigan game seems to scream that it should happen, but I would doubt Michigan wants to go on the road again. MU hosted Purdue a couple years ago. If MU participates, it should get the marquee matchup, it'd be cool to see Marquette/Michigan in Chicago, but I can't see that happening.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 01:42:18 PM »
I would put the chances of A&M vs. Marquette in the first round, guaranteeing 2 of Davidson, Fairfield, Harvard, and Temple playing each other, at about 0.00%.  Outside of Marquette fans (a relatively small D1 school), it's not like this is going to be some giant deal (like it would be if Rick Pittino took over some program and was going up against Louisville or something).  This matchup would be a nothing story nationally.

Are you suggesting that the college basketball world doesn't revolve around Marquette?  Mind blown.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 01:54:50 PM »

Hahvahd fans aren't going to slum it in Orlando.  Maybe if they were in a Cayman Islands tournaments.

It's still football season so A&M fans won't be paying attention yet. Davidson has the shortest distance but a small fanbase. The crowd will have a lot of gold.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 02:00:36 PM »
Quite honestly, the potential Gavitt game interests me more from a scheduling standpoint. Michigan State is still exempt from Gavitt due to the Champions Classic. Maryland should be pretty good, but I would hope the potential matchup in Orlando negates a matchup in Gavitt. A Marquette/Michigan game seems to scream that it should happen, but I would doubt Michigan wants to go on the road again. MU hosted Purdue a couple years ago. If MU participates, it should get the marquee matchup, it'd be cool to see Marquette/Michigan in Chicago, but I can't see that happening.

With the K-State and Wisconsin games on the road, you better believe Marquette is lobbying hard to get the Gavitt game at home.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 02:10:12 PM »
With the K-State and Wisconsin games on the road, you better believe Marquette is lobbying hard to get the Gavitt game at home.

Yeah, that’s more or less what I’m getting at, trying to line up one of the best Big 10 teams for next year to come to Milwaukee. Not having Michigan State as an option, playing Wisco and potentially Maryland, and if Michigan participates they’ll want a home game. I’d love for it to be Michigan, that’d be awesome, but could see Purdue or Ohio State coming to Milwaukee.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 04:39:21 PM »
Michigan State is still exempt from Gavitt due to the Champions Classic.

First I heard that MSU is completely exempt. Was that in the original contract?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 04:44:40 PM »

I think as long as they're in the Champions Classic they are.  They are also in the Big Ten/ACC and an exempt tourney every year. 

Plus, since only 8 games are played that means 8 BT teams won't be scheduled, so exempting MSU is not an issue for scheduling.  Can we exempt Rutgers instead?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 04:52:17 PM »
Schedule is going to be pretty tough next year. I wouldn't mind Illinois or NW at home.

Who’s in our non conference last year? I know the Orlando field, Wisconsin, K State, Gavitt game, anybody else confirmed?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2019, 04:53:22 PM »
Count me in. I'll drive over from the Treasure Coast

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2019, 05:09:13 PM »

I thought (?) they couldn't play in the Gavitt due to their scheduling and they were "wink wink" exempt from Gavitt. The Champions Classic I thought took the scheduling slot of Gavitt.

Mich St/Marquette would obviously be a great headliner for Gavitt, assuming Markus is back, and at worst it'd be a Final Four team versus a potential top 15 MU team.

I'd be happy to be wrong here, I'd love to see the Spartans come to Milwaukee next year.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2019, 10:10:36 PM »
Im coming over from Pass a Grille.  Friend from Maryland getting all of us tickets.  I offered to get them, hinted at my huge pile of priority points, but nooooo.  We'll see what he can do.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2019, 11:02:53 PM »
Im coming over from Pass a Grille.  Friend from Maryland getting all of us tickets.  I offered to get them, hinted at my huge pile of priority points, but nooooo.  We'll see what he can do.

It is a small venue. All good seats.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 11:12:35 AM »

at some point in the near future MU has to draw Minnesota in Gavitt game.  I would assume next year is the year. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2019, 11:31:35 AM »
Decent field, led by our Warriors. Would very much like to go to this. All will depend on my coaching schedule, which I won't know for a few months.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2019, 12:00:41 PM »
Rooms booked last week! Can't wait for this!

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2019, 12:25:34 PM »

Every possible matchup in this group is a nothing story nationally.  MU against Buzz is incrementally more meaningful for those two schools.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2019, 12:29:46 PM »
Every possible matchup in this group is a nothing story nationally.  MU against Buzz is incrementally more meaningful for those two schools.

What about Mark Turgeon against his old school?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.