[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Galway Eagle
[Today at 04:04:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Virginia Tech Fans  (Read 103597 times)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Virginia Tech Fans
« Reply #525 on: April 04, 2019, 09:29:19 AM »
Ultimately, I took one thing of value from the last 4-5 pages of this thread. Larry freaking Krystkowiak is the 11th highest paid coach in the game? More than Marshall, Kruger, or Holtmann? For what? A few second place Pac-12 finishes and one Sweet 16?

Looks to me like they understand the value of consistency/longevity, want to make sure he stays for the long haul

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #526 on: April 04, 2019, 09:33:31 AM »
If he is at MU  19 years, probably.
Pure speculation
Nothing in his record of performance demonstrate that "probably"
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #527 on: April 04, 2019, 09:35:53 AM »
Looks to me like they understand the value of consistency/longevity, want to make sure he stays for the long haul

He's been there for 8 years, not 18. He has more seasons with no postseason (3) than he does NCAA appearances (2). In terms of one of these things is not like the others, his name sticks out like a sore thumb on that list.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #528 on: April 04, 2019, 09:40:00 AM »
I think you are overly obsessed with the VT circle jerk leader

Ha, maybe. I didn't think one post would qualify as overly obsessed but I guess I did spend about 15 minutes writing it.

I would say the more accurate feelings I have are amused and offended. It is amusing to me that an entire board of people would take statements like "direct line to the AD" "done deal" and "official official" and not question the validity of the statements because he is a self proclaimed insider. It's even more amusing to me that not even a full day later, that same insider is rapidly backtracking his earlier statements but despite that, his credibility doesn't seem to be damaged with these people at all. The lemming effect is an amusing phenomenon.

I am also offended. It's one thing when people come onto a free site like MUScoop and claim to have insider knowledge. But 247 requires that you pay money for access to these "insiders". There are some guys on there with legitimate inside access to some programs, and they have others like Mark Miller who put out quality content about the high school basketball scene...but much of what they sell is false advertising.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #529 on: April 04, 2019, 10:06:41 AM »
In a response to the VT post about Wojo on campus, this has it 100% correct.

In a world of a 100 million  cell phone cameras and social media, you do not set foot on campus unless you want the world to know you’re there.

In fact take a selfie on campus and post it yourself.

—————

When Whit met with Fu about the football job, it was off campus. When he met with Buzz about the job, it was off campus. These deals don't get done on campus. They generally get done in big cities where the two parties can blend in and your average person doesn't recognize them. That's the best way to keep the negotiations a secret.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #530 on: April 04, 2019, 10:20:12 AM »
LOL they are also talking about Jay Wright in other threads.  Talk about delusional.

It is funny to read their comments about Buzz now. They are coming to the realization that he is a phony when it comes to his lines about commitment, university like a family, etc.
It's like Deja vu all over again.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #531 on: April 04, 2019, 10:40:57 AM »
It is funny to read their comments about Buzz now. They are coming to the realization that he is a phony when it comes to his lines about commitment, university like a family, etc.

In their defense, we didn't realize it until it was too late either.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #532 on: April 04, 2019, 10:42:31 AM »
When did we first hear about Buzz to VT? I thought there weren’t any rumors until it leaked that he accepted. I’d find it strange they went from such a tight lipped search to now having this many rumors about Wojo.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #533 on: April 04, 2019, 10:44:43 AM »
In their defense, we didn't realize it until it was too late either.

Cause there wasn't a track record.  His MO is very predictable now.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #534 on: April 04, 2019, 11:24:56 AM »

The well was poisoned for Buzz at MU by the whole Pilarz/L Williams fiasco. Some of that falls on Buzz, but nevertheless he felt that MU's commitment to him had wavered and he was right. He also felt that the new Big East was a big step down and that the future here was murky. So, after leading us to our 2nd most successful run in our history he left. How that makes him a phony eludes me.

He went to Virginia Tech, a college basketball wasteland. He took them to the NCAA tournament 3 straight times, culminating in a S16 run this year. Most successful coach in their history, but isn't that about the ceiling for a program like V Tech? So he's going home to a program with a higher one. I never read anything about Buzz Williams saying he was at V Tech for life. I don't understand how taking a better job makes him a phony in this instance either.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #535 on: April 04, 2019, 11:25:57 AM »
So Wojo was just on the local rock station with Bob and Brian for their MACC Fund Radiothon.  I didn’t hear it and maybe it was a prior commitment he didn’t want to break but just more reason to show there is no truth to him heading to VTech.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #536 on: April 04, 2019, 11:36:49 AM »
The well was poisoned for Buzz at MU by the whole Pilarz/L Williams fiasco. Some of that falls on Buzz, but nevertheless he felt that MU's commitment to him had wavered and he was right. He also felt that the new Big East was a big step down and that the future here was murky. So, after leading us to our 2nd most successful run in our history he left. How that makes him a phony eludes me.

He went to Virginia Tech, a college basketball wasteland. He took them to the NCAA tournament 3 straight times, culminating in a S16 run this year. Most successful coach in their history, but isn't that about the ceiling for a program like V Tech? So he's going home to a program with a higher one. I never read anything about Buzz Williams saying he was at V Tech for life. I don't understand how taking a better job makes him a phony in this instance either.

All his talk about loyalty and commitment to MU, and then going elsewhere when faced with real or perceived adversity, makes him no different than most other coaches. That's why I've never been "angry" at Buzz. He wasn't a special guy, he wasn't a bad guy. He was just another coach looking out for himself. That's the business. That's many businesses.

As for VT, he owed them nothing but 100% commitment and effort while he was there, and you're right, Lenny, he gave them that and the most successful run in school history. Again, he did what coaches do -- leave for greener pastures. He did what most of us would do or have done.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #537 on: April 04, 2019, 11:36:57 AM »

Well that was the yarn he spun anyhoo

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #538 on: April 04, 2019, 11:50:35 AM »
All his talk about loyalty and commitment to MU, and then going elsewhere when faced with real or perceived adversity, makes him no different than most other coaches. That's why I've never been "angry" at Buzz. He wasn't a special guy, he wasn't a bad guy. He was just another coach looking out for himself. That's the business. That's many businesses.

As for VT, he owed them nothing but 100% commitment and effort while he was there, and you're right, Lenny, he gave them that and the most successful run in school history. Again, he did what coaches do -- leave for greener pastures. He did what most of us would do or have done.

Yep, I think this is a Clear eyed post.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #539 on: April 04, 2019, 11:58:52 AM »

Spot on
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #540 on: April 04, 2019, 12:07:49 PM »
Spot on

I find it amusing that so many fans here are still so butt hurt over Buzz leaving, and less so but Crean leaving as well. On one hand, they feel jilted because in their minds how could any Coach want to leave MU it's a great job etc etc. Yet then these SAME exact fans, after the Coach does leave, throw out some of the most ridiculously small time names of Coaches they want to replace that Coach you could ever imagine. So, which is it?? Is MU a great job, or is it small time(like the names most suggest)?? I get amused by that.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #541 on: April 04, 2019, 12:08:24 PM »
When did we first hear about Buzz to VT? I thought there weren’t any rumors until it leaked that he accepted. I’d find it strange they went from such a tight lipped search to now having this many rumors about Wojo.

I heard after the fact and remember laughing when my wife told me second hand. It just seemed wholly implausible at the time.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #542 on: April 04, 2019, 12:16:05 PM »

He's a phony because he preaches all of his loyalty and family garbage.  Not to mention all of his "humble guy" crap.  Look at his twitter feed.  It 50% southern preacher 50% teenage girl.  This a$$hole includes his hashtag in his signature. 

Funny how his relationship with the administration goes south just before every departure.  UNO, MU, VT...

« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 12:20:44 PM by TallTitan34 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #543 on: April 04, 2019, 12:20:20 PM »
I find it amusing that so many fans here are still so butt hurt over Buzz leaving, and less so but Crean leaving as well. On one hand, they feel jilted because in their minds how could any Coach want to leave MU it's a great job etc etc. Yet then these SAME exact fans, after the Coach does leave, throw out some of the most ridiculously small time names of Coaches they want to replace that Coach you could ever imagine. So, which is it?? Is MU a great job, or is it small time(like the names most suggest)?? I get amused by that.

What is small time?

Was Buzz small time? Do you think he accomplished a lot at Marquette?

How about Chris Beard at any point before TTech hired him? You have sung his praises repeatedly the last few days but it seems you would be outraged if Marquette hired a "small-time" coach with a decidedly small-time resume.

You know who wasn't small time? Shaka. He's worked out great for Texas so far. How about Cuonzo Martin? Definitely not small time. He used Cal and bolted at the first opportunity. Steve Alford wasn't small-time; did wonders at UCLA. Crean was no small-timer when Indiana hired him; it didn't take long for IU fans to want to dump him. Larry Brown? HUGE TIME! SMU might never win again. Etc, etc, etc.

If Wojo left today, and I could choose anybody available to replace him, Thad Matta would be my #1 if his health is good and if his heart is really into coaching basketball. He certainly is not small-time, and I'd welcome him to Marquette.

But if he said no or if it was determined his heart wasn't in it, and after a search the best we could do was a long-time top assistant like Wojo (or like Izzo once was) or a mid-major coach like Beard was 3 years ago, or even Stan from our own staff, I would accept it and encourage MU fans to give him a chance.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #544 on: April 04, 2019, 12:27:30 PM »
Cause there wasn't a track record.  His MO is very predictable now.

Yep.

Fool me once....

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #545 on: April 04, 2019, 12:34:24 PM »

Very well-said. Couldn’t agree more.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #546 on: April 04, 2019, 12:35:26 PM »

I don't disagree with much of what you say...but I'm not sure the ceiling is higher at TAMU than VPI. TAMU has more NCAA appearances, but VPI has gotten farther (E8 vs S16). Neither has been a hoops powerhouse.

So what determines the ceiling? IMHO, it's the schools' commitments to sports, and conference affiliation. Both seem willing to pull up the cash wagon. And while the SEC is very good, it isn't as good as the ACC. And Buzz' history (MU to VPI) shows that conference affiliation is important to him - you said that yourself.

Frankly, I see VPI to TAMU as a wash (at best) in terms of program ceilings.

I think this is about Buzz just being Buzz. He loves being the savior, but once the initial glow wears off, he needs new digs....
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 12:38:13 PM by GooooMarquette »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #547 on: April 04, 2019, 12:38:40 PM »
In terms of history TAMU and VPI are a wash.

In terms of $$$, TAMU wins in a landslide.

I think the ceiling at TAMU is significantly higher
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #548 on: April 04, 2019, 12:39:54 PM »
In terms of history TAMU and VPI are a wash.

In terms of $$$, TAMU wins in a landslide.

I think the ceiling at TAMU is significantly higher

That one team with Acie Law was pretty good!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #549 on: April 04, 2019, 12:41:47 PM »
Ha, maybe. I didn't think one post would qualify as overly obsessed but I guess I did spend about 15 minutes writing it.

I would say the more accurate feelings I have are amused and offended. It is amusing to me that an entire board of people would take statements like "direct line to the AD" "done deal" and "official official" and not question the validity of the statements because he is a self proclaimed insider.

Not the entire board, but enough so that I am amused as well.