'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Virginia Tech Fans  (Read 103623 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: Virginia Tech Fans
« Reply #500 on: April 03, 2019, 08:18:21 PM »
I am confident that at the 20 year mark of his coaching career, that his record will be better than Crean's at the same point.  Not the highest bar.   
And Wojo isn't going anywhere for a while.

Will he have taken MU to a Final Four??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #501 on: April 03, 2019, 08:21:00 PM »
If he is at MU  19 years, probably.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #502 on: April 03, 2019, 08:22:02 PM »
Will he have taken MU to a Final Four??

Nobody knows that. Not even you.

It only took Jay Wright 15 years and John Beilein 21 years (in D1; 31 years overall) to get there, so I think Wojo can and will do it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #503 on: April 03, 2019, 08:27:21 PM »
Nobody knows that. Not even you.

It only took Jay Wright 15 years and John Beilein 21 years (in D1; 31 years overall) to get there, so I think Wojo can and will do it.

Remind me again...how long did it take Crean at MU to get to one??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #504 on: April 03, 2019, 08:29:01 PM »
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #505 on: April 03, 2019, 08:29:40 PM »
Remind me again...how long did it take Crean at MU to get to one??

It took Steve Fisher 7 games.  Maybe we should rename the Wooden award the Fisher award.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #506 on: April 03, 2019, 08:32:51 PM »
It took Steve Fisher 7 games.  Maybe we should rename the Wooden award the Fisher award.

Yep. In guru's eyes, this proves that Fisher is the greatest coach ever!

I think he's available. Fire Wojo.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #507 on: April 03, 2019, 08:39:53 PM »
Colt

Thoughtful analysis, generally plausible opinions. One nit I would pick is the "well oiled machine" meme. I think we were good, maybe even very good, but never top 10 good. Maybe on the edge of top 25 good (where Pomeroy had us). We were also very lucky. Down the stretch we had a few clunkers but also I think the "luck" element even out. We went from top 10 luckiest to the middle of the pack (#155) over the last 4 weeks.
I agree a lot with you.
People thought we were better than we were. Mostly because Markus led us to early victories over Kansas St. and Buffalo. I do not remember the last time MU actually played no games against teams that made the Sweet 16. It would have to be before we joined the Big East. I did not see any team in this year's Sweet 16 that I thought Marquette was better than. They all seemed to me to be far better defensive teams than MU was.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #508 on: April 03, 2019, 09:24:09 PM »
Wojo has absolutely done enough to be a "home run hire" at a place like Virginia Tech. Only the vocal minority on MUScoop would think otherwise.

It is also true that being a "home run hire" for a place like Virginia Tech is nothing to write home about.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #509 on: April 03, 2019, 09:33:39 PM »
Wojo has absolutely done enough to be a "home run hire" at a place like Virginia Tech. Only the vocal minority on MUScoop would think otherwise.

It is also true that being a "home run hire" for a place like Virginia Tech is nothing to write home about.

Your guy Arvin (facetious) still is saying as of few minutes ago Wojo is still at the top of the list. I'll give him this, he is holding on tight to his circle jerk.

https://247sports.com/college/virginia-tech/Board/59428/Contents/Coaching-Hot-Board-Virginia-Tech-Hokies-Basketball-130836308/?Page=5#M130861425

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #510 on: April 03, 2019, 09:58:14 PM »
Your guy Arvin (facetious) still is saying as of few minutes ago Wojo is still at the top of the list. I'll give him this, he is holding on tight to his circle jerk.

https://247sports.com/college/virginia-tech/Board/59428/Contents/Coaching-Hot-Board-Virginia-Tech-Hokies-Basketball-130836308/?Page=5#M130861425

Rookie mistake. You never want to be the last guy in a circle jerk
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #511 on: April 03, 2019, 10:06:54 PM »

And now here comes the back tracking...pure rookie stuff

I can’t say for certain that it will be him, I’m just saying that’s what I’ve heard. They very well could be right. Whit doesn’t let too much leak out.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 10:08:56 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #512 on: April 03, 2019, 10:11:28 PM »
Very good. The perfect storm excuse. Better than some of the others

Not an excuse. Just an observation. I can most definitely be wrong. I just think the line between success and failure at this level is razor thin.

Ever bet on a horse race? Trip cappers know when the best horse didn’t win.

Not talking NCAA. Murray State was better than us. You could replay those last four BigEast losses ten times and we could’ve gone 7-3 in each series. Maybe 5-5 as a floor. But to take all 4 losses. That takes a mental toll. The Nova game turned on a dime, the @Hall game a switch flipped on their star at the perfect juncture, Creighton took the air out of the ball and yes we didn’t adjust, and Georgetown caught fire from deep.

Wojo hadn’t seen a scenario like that since the early K back surgery. I’ll admit, it probably caught him by surprise. He played the back-off card and it backfired. I will be honest..I got his point, but I don’t like what he said at the selection show party....that even if we lost, these guys need to know they’ve had a great season. It was intended to loosen them up, but it introduced doubt.

I truly believe Wojo is a very good fit for our school. I’m cool if others don’t agree.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #513 on: April 03, 2019, 10:16:30 PM »

No offense, but I'll pass on the circle jerk entirely. Not that there's anything wrong with it. I guess.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #514 on: April 03, 2019, 10:33:08 PM »

Other than seeing Joel Quenneville and Mike Ditka regularly at Arlington Park, I have only seen two other high level coaches enter the den of my fellow degenerates at the local OTB....

Bill Frieder was at my local Northern Illinois off-track facility twice in the same recruiting season. Former Packers coach Ray Rhodes loved playing the ponies and he would stop off on the way to visiting his daughter. When you talked to Frieder you got the sense as to how he could recruit well. Really down-to-Earth guy. After all this time, I wonder if he regrets the career move much?
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #515 on: April 03, 2019, 10:40:45 PM »
Colt

Thoughtful analysis, generally plausible opinions. One nit I would pick is the "well oiled machine" meme. I think we were good, maybe even very good, but never top 10 good. Maybe on the edge of top 25 good (where Pomeroy had us). We were also very lucky. Down the stretch we had a few clunkers but also I think the "luck" element even out. We went from top 10 luckiest to the middle of the pack (#155) over the last 4 weeks.

Lenny, thanks, and I agree about your luck element. I still cannot believe the luck (and grit) it took to win that game in Omaha. The surge that game gave us in the schedule was invaluable. We went on a great run thereafter. Unfortunately, we caught the flip side of some luck-gone-bad late in the season.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #516 on: April 04, 2019, 12:18:32 AM »
So for those who do not want to wade into the muck but want to understand the Wojo to VT rumors.

It started with the now famous series of flight tracker tweets. A Virginia Tech fan blog found a flight from Waukesha to Roanoke over the weekend. They concluded that the only reason that such a flight would exist is because Wojo is flying to interview for the Virginia Tech job. Keep in mind that Roanoke is an hour away from Virginia Tech and there is a private airfield in Blacksburg right off campus that any plane that could take off from Waukesha could certainly land at.

The same Virginia Tech fan blog then found a flight on Monday from Gary, Indiana to Blacksburg, VA. This time it was at least to the correct airport and the plane was registered to a VT booster. The fan blog then concluded again that the only reason a VT booster would fly from Gary to Blacksburg was to pickup Wojo for an interview. Or it was to pickup Wojo's family so that they could be with Wojo for the announcment. This of course ignores the fact that Gary is a 2-3 hour drive through Chicago traffic, so why the hell would they pick Gary as the pickup spot when there are dozens of airfields closer? It also ignores the fact that we have confirmation that Wojo was in Milwaukee filming Inside Marquette Basketball when this flight was supposedly taking him to Blacksburg.

Adding fuel to the fire of these rumors is the fact that Wojo deactivated his twitter account. VT fans think it is because he is job searching. Marquette fans think it is because he and his family was getting threats from twitter morons after the Murray State loss.

The rumors are now being continued by one person and one person only, Mr. Chris Arvin (https://twitter.com/chrisarvin_247?lang=en). He has not tweeted about any of his Wojo to VT rumors but he has been very confident on the private boards of VTScoop that it is a #donedeal. He claims to have a direct line to VT's AD and is very confidently proclaiming that Wojo is the next VT coach. Arvin describes himself as a "Basketball writer for VTScoop" on his twitter page and the posters there definitely treat him like an insider but he is not one of the official 247 insiders for Virginia Tech. No one else on VTScoop has claimed any inside information, they are all just following Chris' lead.

So really this comes down to this one poster on VTScoop. Maybe he does have a direct line to the AD and has some insider knowledge, though in my experience ADs usually don't hand that kind of information out to people and tell them they have free reign to post it on the internet. Or maybe this is a poster who has read enough tea leaves to convince himself that Wojo will be the next VT coach and is trying to make a name for himself by being the first person to call Wojo to VT. After all if he ends up being wrong he can always pull the "Mrs. Wojo didn't want to move to Blacksburg" card.
I think you are overly obsessed with the VT circle jerk leader
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #517 on: April 04, 2019, 02:33:21 AM »
he is holding on tight to his circle jerk.

That doesn't sound like an effective technique...

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #518 on: April 04, 2019, 04:34:59 AM »
I think you are overly obsessed with the VT circle jerk leader

It's quite funny that you're calling someone else obsessive. Should we bring up Kostas and Jeenathan?
Maigh Eo for Sam

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #519 on: April 04, 2019, 08:54:38 AM »
11   Utah   Pac-12   Larry Krystkowiak   $3,572,500   $3,572,500   $280,000   $80,000   $12,750,000

Ultimately, I took one thing of value from the last 4-5 pages of this thread. Larry freaking Krystkowiak is the 11th highest paid coach in the game? More than Marshall, Kruger, or Holtmann? For what? A few second place Pac-12 finishes and one Sweet 16?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #520 on: April 04, 2019, 09:02:23 AM »
One of the people on the VPI boards posted that his wife works for the university and saw Wojo on the Blackburg campus. Those total amateurs, no mention of whether he was wearing a boot or not!

https://virginiatech.sportswar.com/mid/11769560/board/vtbasketball/

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #521 on: April 04, 2019, 09:06:07 AM »
It’s even better - it was the coworkers of the wife who works at the university saw Wojo on campus. 

A bit dubious when they also said they saw him at 31 flavors...

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #522 on: April 04, 2019, 09:07:16 AM »
Wait why's he on campus? I thought he was held up in Gary?
Maigh Eo for Sam

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #523 on: April 04, 2019, 09:21:26 AM »
One of the people on the VPI boards posted that his wife works for the university and saw Wojo on the Blackburg campus. Those total amateurs, no mention of whether he was wearing a boot or not!

https://virginiatech.sportswar.com/mid/11769560/board/vtbasketball/

LOL they are also talking about Jay Wright in other threads.  Talk about delusional. 

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #524 on: April 04, 2019, 09:23:21 AM »
LOL they are also talking about Jay Wright in other threads.  Talk about delusional.

I pray they don't have access to any high buildings on campus once the new coach is announced.

feedback