'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Virginia Tech Fans  (Read 103654 times)

Daniel

• All American
Re: Virginia Tech Fans
« Reply #425 on: April 03, 2019, 01:23:08 PM »
I’m sure a Wojo is aware of all these rumors.  Why not just come out and say he loves Marquette and is staying.... if he is. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #426 on: April 03, 2019, 01:24:56 PM »
I’m sure a Wojo is aware of all these rumors.  Why not just come out and say he loves Marquette and is staying.... if he is.

Because those kinds of statements tend to backfire on coaches (see: I'll be here as long as they'll have me"). And because rumors of interest from other programs rarely hurts a coach, especially one who may be fishing for a contract extension.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #427 on: April 03, 2019, 01:26:33 PM »
Because he disabled his twitter account and there are no other ways to release a statement.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #428 on: April 03, 2019, 01:27:10 PM »
No one who is connected in any meaningful way is reporting it anyhow.  If a coach dispelled every message board rumor he'd be making statements constantly.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #429 on: April 03, 2019, 01:27:32 PM »
Because those kinds of statements tend to backfire on coaches (see: I'll be here as long as they'll have me"). And because rumors of interest from other programs rarely hurts a coach, especially one who may be fishing for a contract extension.

Elementary.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

muguru

• All American
« Reply #430 on: April 03, 2019, 01:52:33 PM »
No one who is connected in any meaningful way is reporting it anyhow.  If a coach dispelled every message board rumor he'd be making statements constantly.

Not being condescending at all, but how do you know with 100% certainty the VT insiders that have been reporting it aren't connected in some meaningful way?? None of us know that for sure, do we??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #431 on: April 03, 2019, 01:53:40 PM »
Not being condescending at all, but how do you know with 100% certainty the VT insiders that have been reporting it aren't connected in some meaningful way?? None of us know that for sure, do we??

Because it's one insider and he's already backtracking on his statement.

I will concede that I don't know for sure. But there are FAR more reasons to be skeptical than to believe he has information of any kind.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 01:56:12 PM by MUeagle1090 »

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #432 on: April 03, 2019, 01:57:46 PM »
Willard leaving is not good. The off chance wojo leaving when he hasn't had that much success is not good. The coach turnover for the big east is not looking good. You can not expect to maintain a strong conference when many teams finally have a solid year and they jump ship for a power 4. We need some of.the coaches to stay put long term if we want this conference to be where we hope it to be.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #433 on: April 03, 2019, 02:02:07 PM »
...so DePaul keeping Leitao is actually a sign of power for the conference?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #434 on: April 03, 2019, 02:04:36 PM »
...so DePaul keeping Leitao is actually a sign of power for the conference?

Wait to see what happens with the CBI finals... if he hangs a banner Vandy might back up the Brinks truck

Goose

• All American
« Reply #435 on: April 03, 2019, 02:06:13 PM »
All of this discussion/posts on Wojo leaving truly has me laughing out loud. There is not a program on par or better than MU that has any interest in hiring Wojo at this point of his career. I do not believe if Wojo's agents worked behind the scenes that he could make a lateral move right now. The folks talking Wojo to UNLV or Va Tech are not credible basketball sources.

I have spent virtually zero time on the Wojo watch and if I missed a college ball insider talking Wojo leaving, that is my bad. I'm a guy that would not be heartbroken if he left and have not even kept on the news regarding the potential departure.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #436 on: April 03, 2019, 02:07:22 PM »
Heard Wojo's wife loves MKE winters so I think we're safe there.

Damn good intel! Really hope that's true

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #437 on: April 03, 2019, 02:09:05 PM »
Willard leaving is not good. The off chance wojo leaving when he hasn't had that much success is not good. The coach turnover for the big east is not looking good. You can not expect to maintain a strong conference when many teams finally have a solid year and they jump ship for a power 4. We need some of.the coaches to stay put long term if we want this conference to be where we hope it to be.

Seton Hall went to a national championship with P.J. Carlisimo.  They went to the Sweet 16 with Tommy Amaker.  They now have gone to four straight tournaments under Willard.  There will be another coach, after Willard - whether this year or in the future - that will continue leading the Hall to success.  Frankly, a majority of Big East programs are built on a collection of coaches (not unlike us).  I'd be more worried about what happens to a program like Syracuse (once Boeheim retires), Duke (when Krzyzewski retires), Louisville (now that Pitino is gone) and to UConn (now that Calhoun is gone).  When you consistently reach the upper echelon of college basketball under a single coach, and then hand the keys over, it is far more likely that they return to earth (ala Indiana or UCLA) and have an unattainable goal of winning multiple national championships.

Hall is in great position for next year's team.  If they get an experienced and successful coach, I would be worried about them.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #438 on: April 03, 2019, 02:11:24 PM »
I know you don't want to believe it, but if VT managed to hire Wojo it would be universally praised by everyone other than Scoop's vocal minority as a very good hire for them.

Yep.

All of this discussion/posts on Wojo leaving truly has me laughing out loud. There is not a program on par or better than MU that has any interest in hiring Wojo at this point of his career.

Hmmm.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #439 on: April 03, 2019, 02:13:29 PM »
All of this discussion/posts on Wojo leaving truly has me laughing out loud. There is not a program on par or better than MU that has any interest in hiring Wojo at this point of his career. I do not believe if Wojo's agents worked behind the scenes that he could make a lateral move right now. The folks talking Wojo to UNLV or Va Tech are not credible basketball sources.

I have spent virtually zero time on the Wojo watch and if I missed a college ball insider talking Wojo leaving, that is my bad. I'm a guy that would not be heartbroken if he left and have not even kept on the news regarding the potential departure.

Virginia Tech is definitely interested. Goodman even reported so. It's just not going to happen. I don't know that you would consider them "on par or better" than MU, though.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #440 on: April 03, 2019, 02:14:40 PM »
MUeagle

Did not see Goodman reporting that. Saw a couple of other reports and no mention of Wojo anywhere.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #441 on: April 03, 2019, 02:19:26 PM »
Goodman said nothing of the sort, just threw out a name.  Here is what he said in writing.

https://watchstadium.com/news/search-firm-predicting-virginia-techs-next-head-basketball-coach-04-03-2019/

MU82

• All American
« Reply #442 on: April 03, 2019, 02:19:53 PM »
Goodman said:

Steve Wojciechowski, Marquette – Would Virginia Tech pluck another coach from Marquette? Here’s the difference: Williams had worn out his welcome at Marquette; Wojo hasn’t. Marquette has the resources to match anything Virginia Tech throws his way, so I don’t see him leaving Marquette at the end of the day.

I don't know how seriously we can take this from Goodman, though. He made a major error of omission by not saying Wojo is the worst coach ever.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #443 on: April 03, 2019, 02:21:59 PM »

I should have clarified.  I mean national reporting types.  Not just supposed insiders on message boards.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #444 on: April 03, 2019, 02:23:53 PM »
That is a bit of a reach on the Goodman post. But, if that makes some believe other programs are chasing Wojo, enjoy.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #445 on: April 03, 2019, 02:25:19 PM »

3 of the last 5 coaching changes in the conference resulted from someone getting fired rather than leaving for (potentially) greener pastures.  Turnover does not necessarily mean downgrade.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #446 on: April 03, 2019, 02:31:44 PM »

I should have clarified.  I mean national reporting types.  Not just supposed insiders on message boards.

Fair enough, but I have been around long enough to know there are message board posters that post on MU boards that have had MU related info before National types have. Just saying, just because they are "message board insiders" doesn't mean their info is necessarily bunk.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #447 on: April 03, 2019, 02:35:11 PM »
(Not so) Bold Prediction; VT doesn’t get their first, second, third or fourth option. They’re not getting Wojo. Not getting Willard. Not getting Cronin. Not getting Marshall. I predict VT settles for a non-name, name and remembers what their program is; a second tier ACC program
No Finish Line

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #448 on: April 03, 2019, 02:39:24 PM »
(Not so) Bold Prediction; VT doesn’t get their first, second, third or fourth option. They’re not getting Wojo. Not getting Willard. Not getting Cronin. Not getting Marshall. I predict VT settles for a non-name, name and remembers what their program is; a second third tier ACC program

Maigh Eo for Sam

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #449 on: April 03, 2019, 02:40:09 PM »
(Not so) Bold Prediction; VT doesn’t get their first, second, third or fourth option. They’re not getting Wojo. Not getting Willard. Not getting Cronin. Not getting Marshall. I predict VT settles for a non-name, name and remembers what their program is; a second tier ACC program

I'm of a similar mind. Unless Cronin wants to jump to a better conference, or they overwhelm someone with $, I think the Wofford/UNCG tier is where their next guy will come from.

feedback